OtakuBoards

Dawn of the Dead - The new version ^_^

Pagan

Another scary movie that I will most likely sleep through while my girlfriend screams her freaking head off. I think this movie is more like Resident Evil then the Resident Evil movie itself. Here is the basic plot. A city is turning into Zombies and only 7 people are left unzombiefied(is that a word?). The 7 are running around shooting their friends and neighboors trying to escape the town before they too are turned into zombies.

So what do you people think this movie is going to be, good or bad?

I'm going to see it, only to see what they why they're "remaking" a classic... although I say that loosely considering the large amounts of script changes and modernization it is going through. I guess it's best to look at this as a "reimagining" of the original, as Tim Burton did with his version of Planet of the Apes. It's his word, not mine lol.

This movie already had a proper remake in 1990 as it was. So I'm glad they're not just remaking the same thing all over again. Something fresh is always good. Apparently they're taking the 28 Days Later approach with this, considering how agile the zombies are. The mall is a key area aswell, just like in the original. It still seems decent.

If you've not seen the original Dawn of the Dead, do yourself a favor and get familiar with George Romero's zombie films. He basically has defined what zombies have been in movies and games for the past few decades.

So I'm interested. Dawn of the Dead can really only be compared to Resident Evil because that's where most of RE's ideas came from in the first place.

I have seen the original one several times. I never much liked it, I'm more of a more modern movie person. I can't stand to watch cheap effects and bad camera quality. But the movie was good and I think this version will be good as well. Plus my boyfriend is gonna drag me to see it, so lol I have no say in the matter anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Ok, so I got to watch a sneak preview of the movie (a remake of the original if you didn't know there was an original floating around). I had to sit in. . the second row of the theater, because we were running behind getting there. . Oh well. Minus a migraine at the end of the night, it was a decently fun experience.

For those that don?t know the story line, the movie starts off with a strange plague spreading across the United States, turning people into zombies. The zombies, in turn, killed regular people. Once killed, the dead rise again to kill in others ? multiplying the zombie?s numbers. Well. . something to do with ?residual memory? makes these people head to the mall (something to do with everyone remembering there was a sale at Abercrombie. . *shrug*).

Anyways, I won?t go into anymore details, besides having to state a few obvious things:
-If you hate blood, gore and violence, DO NOT go to this movie. That?s the whole point of this movie!
-If you hate movies were everyone seems to do anything but the smart thing. . well, you can still watch this movie. There were some stupid parts in it that made you want to shout out, ?No! You fool, don?t do that!!?, but overall, most of the people that were ?alive? were smart enough.

Oh well, I really enjoy how the movie started off. . I won't ruin anything until many others get to see the movie and start posting their comments, but all in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Obviously, with a bigger budget, Rubenstein was able to make this look a lot 'prettier'. . the action looked pretty good and gory. There were a lot of amusing parts in the movie. . In particular [spoiler]a survivor that made it to the mall cracked me up almost any time he opened his mouth. There were a lot of other sarcastic parts and just plain funny moments that really took away from the whole ?trapped with a ton of zombies outside? atmosphere. [/spoiler]

So I guess this is the part of the post where I am supposed to ask. .
-Who is looking forward to this movie??
-Has anyone seen the original??
-Do you think that this movie will hold up to the original? Or blow it out of the water??
-Ummm. . who thinks that they would do better in a zombie situation then anyone ever in these movies? (I spent like an hour with a couple people that went with us discussing how stupid some of these people were, and how things would have been WAY different if I was in the situation. Though, knowing me, I would be the first to go, because I think it would be that easy, lol). . . ok, ?nuff stupid questions. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I've seen the original and in comparison the new one looked like it would stand up well as far as zombie movies go. Though at least there's always consistancy with those zombies no matter how old the movie is. I say it's worth a go as well.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]The preview for this movie, [spoiler]showing an eight year old girl becoming a zombie and mauling her farther right in front of her mother[/spoiler], disturbed me in a way that a horror movie has never disturbed me before. Seriously, it's been two weeks, and I'm still disturbed by that image. So, while not making any value judgement of the film, I can safely say that I won't be seeing it. I'm sorry, butt hat juist ain't right.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='DeathBug][color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]The preview for this movie, [spoiler]showing an eight year old girl becoming a zombie and mauling her farther right in front of her mother[/spoiler], disturbed me in a way that a horror movie has never disturbed me before. Seriously, it's been two weeks, and I'm still disturbed by that image. So, while not making any value judgement of the film, I can safely say that I won't be seeing it. I'm sorry, butt hat juist ain't right.[/color][/size'][/font][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOr=darkred]Well. . to be honest [spoiler]The girl in the preview wasn't their daughter, but a neighborhood friend of theirs. Probably hung out with them whenever her parents visited or whatever. . anyways, it was pretty gruesome. I mean, you only saw bits of it. . . read the next piece if you want to know what you miss ^_^[/spoiler]

extra spoiler warning!! it's gruesome too! >_<

[spoiler]She takes a huge chunk out of the guy's neck, and it sort of slowly tears away as she pulls back. [/spoiler]

Yuck. . lol. . like I said, lots of violence, gore, and blood. Parts of the movie make sense. . others. . don't. Don't worry, I won't go into any details right now, because I don't want people to be upset that I ruined anything (with or without the spoiler tags up). Once it comes out, I will critique it a little bit more for everyone. . and what I would have done in any situation ^_^

"Jay Leno" . . . yuk yuk - You'll get that later! [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Well, that actually makes it slightly less disturbing. But it's still freaky, and I saw that second part. Sorry, but [spoiler]evil zombie kids that maul people[/spoiler] cross the line of what I'm willing to watch in horror movies. And I have a high tolerance for horror movies.

Also, I don't even [i]want[/i] to know what was up [spoiler]with the pregnant lady[/spoiler]...[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='DeathBug][color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]The preview for this movie, [spoiler]showing an eight year old girl becoming a zombie and mauling her farther right in front of her mother[/spoiler], disturbed me in a way that a horror movie has never disturbed me before. Seriously, it's been two weeks, and I'm still disturbed by that image. So, while not making any value judgement of the film, I can safely say that I won't be seeing it. I'm sorry, butt hat juist ain't right.[/font][/size'][/color][/quote]
In all fairness, though, DeathBug, while Dawn of the Dead is only a remake of Dawn of the Dead (well, obviously, PT...dur), the original Night of the Living Dead had some pretty gruesome moments, scenes quite similar to what you described. [spoiler]In NotLD, there's a scene near the end where a little girl becomes zombified and proceeds to hack her mother up with a gardening tool.[/spoiler]

I think the only differences between the remake's violence and the original films' violence is that the remakes are much more graphic. That level of violence is there in the original films; it's just shown differently. We actually are left to imagine what happens, as opposed to the remake, where we are shown, blow by blow, stab by stab, chew by chew, as it were.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Well, I haven't seen either the original DotD or NotLD; I'm really not a fan of zombie flicks. I don't find zombies interesting as movie antagonists; niether do I identify with the whole "us against the world" type of catastrophe flivck. Nothing against the genre, but it's not my cup of tea.

I also find that I have odd standards for children in horror movies. Apparently, I have no problem with "The Omen", but that scene from the preview apparently crossed my personal line. I'm not sure exactly what my personal standards actually are, though; I just know I think sometrhing's crossed the boundaries of taste when I see it.

Then again, there's no acounting for test. ^_^;[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='DeathBug][size=1][font=comic sans ms][color=black][color=indigo]Well, I haven't seen either the original DotD or NotLD[/color'];[/quote][/color][/font][/size]

[font=Arial][size=2]You haven't? Dude, man, you [i]have[/i] to see the originals before criticizing the remake for violence. I mean, criticizing a remake's level of violence is like saying American Werewolf in London is second-rate entertainment, simply because it's gorier than The Wolf Man. You've got to see the originals, dude.[/size][/font]

[size=1][font=comic sans ms][color=black][QUOTE][size=1][font=comic sans ms][color=black][color=indigo]I'm really not a fan of zombie flicks. I don't find zombies interesting as movie antagonists; niether do I identify with the whole "us against the world" type of catastrophe flivck. Nothing against the genre, but it's not my cup of tea[/color].[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=1][font=comic sans ms][font=Arial][size=2]Zombies not interesting? They're soulless killing machines. They keep coming at you no matter what. They can't be reasoned with, they can't be bargained with, and they absolutely will not stop until you are dead and one of them. If anything, zombies are one of the most interesting horror villains. Vampires can be suave, but put Dracula next to a Deadite, and the Deadite will win out on badassness. Zombies...they don't stop. They can venture out in the day and night, without fear. They have no fear. They are one of the ultimate killing machines. They have no limits because they do not have the capacity to care. Apathy at its finest, I tell you.[/size][/font]

[color=black][QUOTE][color=indigo]I also find that I have odd standards for children in horror movies. Apparently, I have no problem with "The Omen", but that scene from the preview apparently crossed my personal line. I'm not sure exactly what my personal standards actually are, though; I just know I think sometrhing's crossed the boundaries of taste when I see it.[/color]

[color=indigo]Then again, there's no acounting for test. ^_^;[/color][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial][size=2]So...you can't explain why something rubs you the wrong way? Why something strikes a chord in an unusual way?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]Now, I'm not a total supporter of film violence. I have limits. But those limits vary depending on the genre. In the case of romantic comedy, I won't tolerate someone's head getting lobbed off; similarly, in "the Dead" series, I expect to see some disturbing, gut-wrenching sickness going on. That's what "the Dead" series is. A series in which humans get devoured by the undead in the sickest ways possible.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]I'm going to go see Dawn of the Dead on the 19th, and I'm going in there expecting to get scared, horrified, and laugh my *** off, all in the same two hours. That's what the series is; that's what it has always been. Campy, violent, and just a scary fun time.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]Yeah, taste and morality [i]are[/i] relative. That means you have to adjust your expectations for different movies. The horror genre itself is split into so many different categories that we cannot expect one level and one alone.[/size][/font][/color][/font][/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Have you seen the original Sara? That is quite a fine movie itself. . Though you don't really have to watch the first to get anything in the remake, it's still a great movie that really set the pace for blood and gore in future movies. I haven't seen it in forever though (tempted to buy the special edition one that they just came out with). . perhaps start a whole Zombie collection? ^_^ lol [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]I'm not critisizing DotD for violence. [spoiler]If it were an adult zombie doing the exact same thing, I really wouldn't care. It's the fact that it's an eight-year old girl that bothers me.[/spoiler] And I'm not trying to condem the film. I'm just saying that, like you said, it rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't want to see it.

As for zombies being cool villians, that's a matter of taste. Zombies are frightening, sure, but interesting? I don't see it. They have no personality, they're not particularly bright, they have no motivation, and, when you get down tro it, they're not particularly evil or villanious. They're just hungry. [/color][/size][/font]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I was also personally dissapointed with [spoiler]the alien baby. It just seemed so lame and out of place. I was really happy with the elder lady killing his wife and him. . He just seemed to lose it, and wouldn't have come around at all. The guy was just way too hung up on having a family and didn't care. So, that made me happy that she shot first and took out as many as she could! [/spoiler]

I was really happy about the ending too! [b]MAJOR SPOILER!! DON'T READ THIS PART![/b][spoiler]As they escaped on the boat, I leaned over to the guys that were with me, and said, "I can't believe they made it! I was looking forward to everyone dieing! . . soon enough. . lol, everyone dies! I mean, who pulls a boat RIGHT up to the dock and gets off?! Why wasn't there any scouting being done?. . perhaps by the ex-marine?! *sighs* Oh well. . [/spoiler]

I will post more comments later~ [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=DeathBug][color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]I'm not critisizing DotD for violence. [spoiler]If it were an adult zombie doing the exact same thing, I really wouldn't care. It's the fact that it's an eight-year old girl that bothers me.[/spoiler] And I'm not trying to condem the film. I'm just saying that, like you said, it rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't want to see it.

As for zombies being cool villians, that's a matter of taste. Zombies are frightening, sure, but interesting? I don't see it. They have no personality, they're not particularly bright, they have no motivation, and, when you get down tro it, they're not particularly evil or villanious. They're just hungry. [/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE]
DeathBug, that's the thing. In the originals, [spoiler]children did hack up their parents[/spoiler]. If you've never seen the originals, well, how can you expect to not be bothered by the remake? Better yet, how can you be surprised at being bothered? You're going into this with no knowledge of what the series is, lol, of what the series stands for.

I suppose I shouldn't even discuss the zombies part with you, because you've never seen the originals, so you'd have no idea what I'm talking about, heh. Watch the original Night of the Living Dead. It's a superb movie and you will appreciate the zombies after seeing it.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]First off Orlando Bloom fan. . how did you end up in this thread? rofls. . second, take a minute. . breathe. . take off caps lock! ^_^ Better?

You really shouldn't compare this to Resident Evil or 28 Days Later, because this movie's predecessor was out well before those movies were thought up. This is a remake of an older movie. . and a bit more gory then either of those two. Still though, they are sort of zombie thrillers, but there has been a TREMENDOUS amount of change in the movie industry in the past 10 years!. . that leads to tons of changes in films. You honestly think that Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Caribbean could have been done this well say, even five years ago?! I sure don't! . . Just my thoughts, definitely go see this movie if you want to see a good one this week! ^_^

As for Haven. . no comment yet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkRed][B]I just seen the movie, and I got to say it was really awesome. Most definitely the best modern zombie flick out there, and it easily rolls over Resident Evil and 28 Days Later. Well, especially 28 Days Later, that was just a disaster as a zombie horror film--ugh.

Anyway, I haven't seen the original Dawn of the Dead in quite a while so my comparisons of the two aren't quite fair, but I do know I enjoyed this new version, the "remake," much more than the original. The movie pretty much keeps you on the edge of your seat through the whole movie, and thankfully they strayed away from doing to many predictable things. Also, I liked that they pretty much thrust you right into the zombie horror rather than have you wait for a half an hour or so for them to come into play. Not to mention the zombies are actually quite lethal in this movie as opposed to the usual zombie stereotype of slow, groaning, stumbling, mindless cannibals. They actually move swiftly for the most part, and show some intelligence. For example [spoiler] when they go to turn on the generator in the mall's parking garage, the zombie that attacks has no legs so it uses the pipes on the ceiling of the garage to get around by hang from them with his hands.[/spoiler] I loved that part.

Overall, it's a really good movie, and surprisingly pretty long, but you hardly notice the time passing by because you are so into the movie. My only complaint is that it wasn't gory enough. Maybe it's just me, because of all of the really bloody and gory movies and games I play, I might just be too use to blood and gore. The movie just felt to clean for me, as strange as that may sound with a movie of flesh eating zombies. But I would have liked to see much more detail in the gore department, because it isn't nearly as bad as some of you people claim it is.[/B] [/COLOR][/FONT]

Well I just finished this movie.

I was suprised, this movie was seriously non-stop action violence with only the slightest slow down. Even with slowing down the movie retained a disgusting concept that is almost too much to discuss. :laugh: :eek: :devil: :(

I just want to know one thing... what happend when the "sun was rising" so to speak. I mean, the end, it flashed to the ending and very first credit...

But the film flashed back to something. This was the very end and right when it starts to close, it had a flash of credits, and then something... what was that something?

I was in a serious rush sadly. ;)
So I had to leave the show right at that first credit... what were those final images? it's almost killing me. ;)

Basically, the movie started to end after the people got -- the ----. And home girl was standing with the sun behind her... thats when I had to leave, what happend after that?

Thanks
-

[QUOTE=The Vampire: Ed][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkRed][B]Anyway, I haven't seen the original Dawn of the Dead in quite a while so my comparisons of the two aren't quite fair, but I do know I enjoyed this new version, the "remake," much more than the original. The movie pretty much keeps you on the edge of your seat through the whole movie, and thankfully they strayed away from doing to many predictable things. Also, I liked that they pretty much thrust you right into the zombie horror rather than have you wait for a half an hour or so for them to come into play. Not to mention the zombies are actually quite lethal in this movie as opposed to the usual zombie stereotype of slow, groaning, stumbling, mindless cannibals. They actually move swiftly for the most part, and show some intelligence. For example [spoiler] when they go to turn on the generator in the mall's parking garage, the zombie that attacks has no legs so it uses the pipes on the ceiling of the garage to get around by hang from them with his hands.[/spoiler] I loved that part.

Overall, it's a really good movie, and surprisingly pretty long, but you hardly notice the time passing by because you are so into the movie. My only complaint is that it wasn't gory enough. Maybe it's just me, because of all of the really bloody and gory movies and games I play, I might just be too use to blood and gore. The movie just felt to clean for me, as strange as that may sound with a movie of flesh eating zombies. But I would have liked to see much more detail in the gore department, because it isn't nearly as bad as some of you people claim it is.[/B] [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred][b]You paid for the whole seat. . but you'll only need the edge!!![/b] LOL, I couldn't resist. .
Acutally, you said you liked [spoiler]about the zombies being lethal - like the zombie that climbed on pipes who didn't have legs. . I hated that! I'm sorry, that really big zombie (that was unloaded from the back of the truck that was a few hundred pounds. . I mean, looked like she could barely walk. . she hopped up and started chasing the lead actress. . WHAT?!. . *sighs* There's a line that was crossed in this movie. . I almost want to be a zombie so that I can get in shape, rofls~ [/spoiler]

The movie really did a great job of passing the time. . I mean, I really forgot that it was a longer movie, so the movie definitely gets props for keeping my attention through the whole thing. .

Kent, to answer your question about the ending. .
[SIZE=3][b]HUGE SPOILER!!! Do NOT READ if you don't want anything about the movie ruined!!!! WARNING!![/b][/SIZE]
[spoiler]At the end of the movie, they are in the boat. . and they start having problems. . They run out of gas, then they run out of food and water. Finally, they find a land mass, and dock the boat at a nearby marina/docks. . Anyways, I didn't stay till the very, very, very end. . but from everything I saw, they docked, and jumped on the dock. While they were walking up, the dog ran off ahead, and started barking like crazy. Well, it seems this island was also infested, and through the rest of the 'credits' they start shooting the zombies that attack. . but, I'm guessing to no avail. I didn't want to stay till the very very last second, but pretty much, they all die. .
If I am missing anything important (like. . they didn't all die?). . let me know. I was sort of happy that everyone died (pressumably), but honeslty. . you survive a world problem, and then you ruin it by landing the boat AT A DOCK? What happened to swimming from the boat to the island and investigating a little bit? *sighs* Oh wel. . [/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=NorykoAngelcry][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred][b]You paid for the whole seat. . but you'll only need the edge!!![/b] LOL, I couldn't resist. .
Acutally, you said you liked [spoiler]about the zombies being lethal - like the zombie that climbed on pipes who didn't have legs. . I hated that! I'm sorry, that really big zombie (that was unloaded from the back of the truck that was a few hundred pounds. . I mean, looked like she could barely walk. . she hopped up and started chasing the lead actress. . WHAT?!. . *sighs* There's a line that was crossed in this movie. . I almost want to be a zombie so that I can get in shape, rofls~[/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=DarkRed][B]Well, it actually makes sense that the zombies are so agile if you think about. They're dead, but they haven't been dead long enough for their muscles to start deteriorating. Eventually when they start to decay more, they will have to be slower but until then they're able to move quickly because of their muscles still being intact as well as the fact that they no longer need to breath thus never get tired. So it's not really hard to believe their intelligence either, because they probably are smartest as they are fresh. For example [spoiler]at the mall when everyone is standing on the roof trying to signal helicopters and such in hopes of being rescued, they look down seeing the zombies gathering all around. They say some stupid crap like "how do they know we're here?" then someone says something about it possibly being something in their memory, then the camera pulls back after the helicopter flies over showing they have signs all over the roof, including ones draped over the side. So who's to say the zombies couldn't read still? I mean that would be an obvious reason why they knew to look for people there.[/spoiler] Eventually they probably would get more mindless, and slower because of their decaying bodies but since they were all still pretty fresh they were pretty agile and smart.

As for the scenes in the ending credits [spoiler]it basically shows that they're screwed anyway, and most likely die. The boat's engine went out, catching fire and such, their food was so old it was littered with maggots, and so they obviously wouldn't survive on the boat in the middle of no where. Then to top it off they get to an island which is apparently littered with zombies as well, and with the boat's dead engine that kinda kills the whole escaping on the boat idea. So I think in the end they basically died. No happy endings here! Everyone is screwed and they all die.[/spoiler] That's pretty much it.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=NorykoAngelcry][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkredThe movie really did a great job of passing the time. . I mean, I really forgot that it was a longer movie, so the movie definitely gets props for keeping my attention through the whole thing. .

Kent, to answer your question about the ending. .
[SIZE=3][b]HUGE SPOILER!!! Do NOT READ if you don't want anything about the movie ruined!!!! WARNING!![/b][/SIZE]
[spoiler]At the end of the movie, they are in the boat. . and they start having problems. . They run out of gas, then they run out of food and water. Finally, they find a land mass, and dock the boat at a nearby marina/docks. . Anyways, I didn't stay till the very, very, very end. . but from everything I saw, they docked, and jumped on the dock. While they were walking up, the dog ran off ahead, and started barking like crazy. Well, it seems this island was also infested, and through the rest of the 'credits' they start shooting the zombies that attack. . but, I'm guessing to no avail. I didn't want to stay till the very very last second, but pretty much, they all die. .
If I am missing anything important (like. . they didn't all die?). . let me know. I was sort of happy that everyone died (pressumably), but honeslty. . you survive a world problem, and then you ruin it by landing the boat AT A DOCK? What happened to swimming from the boat to the island and investigating a little bit? *sighs* Oh wel. . [/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I would like to ride in your boat... I can pull my weight though. ;)

[quote]the vampire ed
it basically shows that they're screwed anyway, and most likely die. The boat's engine went out, catching fire and such, their food was so old it was littered with maggots, and so they obviously wouldn't survive on the boat in the middle of no where. Then to top it off they get to an island which is apparently littered with zombies as well, and with the boat's dead engine that kinda kills the whole escaping on the boat idea. So I think in the end they basically died.[/quote]

Thanks for answering the question so well. (same to you too noryko)

I thought the movie was good looking back, but I was absolutely frightened at times in this movie.
I could surely watch it again and enjoy it much more...

;) Spoiler
[spoiler]Did anyone notice the victim entering the hospital as our lovely blonde was getting off work?

A nasty neck wound about the size of a bite I would say.[/spoiler]

Anyway... back some time in the future. (dont post as much as I used to at the otaku, but you guys are always helpful, thanks.) :D

[spoiler]At the very beginning of the movie, they kept giving clues as to what was happening. As Kent said, the victim coming in the hospital in the beginning, the news on the radio in her car on her way home spoke of some sort of outbreak or massive deaths or something. There were all sorts of clues. Apparently this was happening already and not just overnight.[/spoiler]

Anyway, to whoeevr posted about the ruining of the movie by showing the scenes at the end of the movie during the credits.... [spoiler]They aren't supposed to live. The movie is dawn of the dead... not dawn of the dead and 4 survivors lol. Everyone is supposed to die. I think it made it much better because they all "died"... or else its just like any other movie about the sort... Too bad Kevin Zegers[/spoiler] had to die... shame.... oh well... I'll move on.

Edit: Oop, I'm not used to this spoiler thing....

Yeah tn...

Another great part of this movie that is only noticed for a second is the overall city views.

When major explosions occured, they would back out and look at the city... this was another one of the big hints in the movie...

In the begining [spoiler]when the truck ran through an intersection and created a huge explosion, the camera dropped back, showed the whole city, and the other explosions. Probably 3 others, with 4 in total. These were all of the people fighting for their lives...[/spoiler]

However, [spoiler]at the end of the movie, at the dock, the explosion scene there moved back just to show a dead city with no explosions... no fighting, no life.[/spoiler]

I thought that was great use of FX and foreshadowing.

Definately a great movie for the tough stomach and minded individual with a taste for horror.

It even develop character realationships, [spoiler]like in the van when homey showed the blonde hottie his litte "cut the zombies in half with a chainsaw" innovation for the truck... He said, "Im really trying" to which she replied "I know you are" then instead of friday the 13th style sex scene, you got hand holding and emotion...[/spoiler]
That was much more powerful than most of the other relationships in horror movies.

Too bad they had to involve the preganant woman... without that, this movie would get a serious two thumbs up. :D