OtakuBoards

Berserk

Guest iori503

Guest iori503
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkblue][B]Does anyone know if there is a new Berserk anime in the works? I know the original 25 episodes only covered like the first 10 books in the manga, basically just introducing how Guts became the Black Swordsman and his reasons for fighting Griffith. Dark Horse just started releasing the TPBs in English but I can't find any info on if there is a new season in the works or not. Off topic jumps about Berserk are welcome...[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]:demon:

I've checked a few sites on this and all of them seem to say that the Second season of Berserk is NOT in the works. I know a lot of us want it but there's no news of it becoming a reality as of yet. I'm not really sure why the show stopped before the manga though and why it can't continue. Maybe someone else can explain that.

• 2 months later...
I guess ill start off by saying this is truly my favorite anime of all time right now and thats pretty hard for me to say since i love Cowboy Bebop so much. Finally i found something that beat Cowboy Bebop for me which is Berserk. This anime completely caught me off gaurd and i wasn't suspecting a thing from this anime at all. At first all i did was hear about it not knowing what it was about at all and from knowing how terrible some history type animes are this one was completely the opposite.

Characters and plot: Each character was unique in their own way. Guts and Griffith are basically the 2 main characters in which Griffith is the leader of a band of mercernarys called "The Band of the Hawk". Griffith recruits Guts (wont get into) and eventually goes into the whole story of Griffiths dream.

Music: I love the opening song and for some reason i cant get the music out of my head. The music within the anime itself is kinda eeire but fits perfectly for the time and setting the anime was taken place. The ending theme is pretty good as well and just as eerie as the rest of the music.

Outcome: Not going to explain about it but just say that the outcome of this anime is great. I still have on major question about the anime, which is p.m.o and maybe the manga could probably help me out with that answer. Its not exactly how i thought it would ended since in the middle of the anime it kinda represents another perspective of how i thought the last episode would conclude.

Extras: This probably has the greatest extras in an anime ever. The outtakes section is mainly the only extra part in the anime, but it surly surpasses any of the other animes that i have bought so far. The outtakes are exremely funny and its great how many times the voice actors struggle with certain words.

I won't get fully into the anime and explain more in depth about it until other respond to what they thought of this anime. So basically thats it for now.

Oh one more thing that i almost forgot to say......it has a lot of gore with extremely little nudity and is recommended for ages 16+.

Okay, I must say that I completely disagree with you on Berserk. When I started watching it, I thought it was one of the corniest, horribly-drawn things ever. I don't know, I thought that the plot line was stereotypical and boring. I thought that Gatts was annoying, and just way too macho. I mean, really, they made him win anything and everything.
Also, the animation was so...poor... I don't know if that's the way they wanted it, but when fighting sequences are just repeated..and repeated..and repeated....... You get the idea.
The music was actually good. Yes, very good music. And the outtakes were funny too.
I don't know, I've heard that the anime gets better as the series progresses, but I got so sick of the first couple episodes that I stopped watching it. Should I continue? Not to mention, I heard the ending was..gory? or very..not suitable for young children.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by pbfrontmanvdp [/i]
[B]Outcome: Not going to explain about it but just say that the outcome of this anime is great. I still have on major question about the anime, which is p.m.o and maybe the manga could probably help me out with that answer. Its not exactly how i thought it would ended since in the middle of the anime it kinda represents another perspective of how i thought the last episode would conclude.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I enjoyed Berserk and I thought that it was a very entertaining series. I did find certain aspects of the movie disappointing however. The animation was choppy at times and I felt that they reused way too many frames. I also thought that the opening theme was a little out of place and really didn't fit the show.

The aspect of the show I found most disappointing was how they ended the show. I liked the final two or three episodes but I thought the series justified another eight or nine episodes. Perhaps the manga clears it up though...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]The aspect of the show I found most disappointing was how they ended the show. I liked the final two or three episodes but I thought the series justified another eight or nine episodes. Perhaps the manga clears it up though...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree that inbetween the 2 min. little aftermath ending they had was like i guess the prologue for the first episode. I thought the last episode could have been about 2 or 3 more episodes longer but i guess thats the way the creator wanted it to end. I think this might be the first time im willing to go and buy the manga completely for an anime cause i really want to know that question of why they ended it they way they did.

• 2 months later...
I just watched the first 9 episodes of this series in a row, and I'm impressed. The storyline so far is very good; it's rather unanimelike. I mean, it's realistic (or more so than some): the characters seem to fit their characterizations, rules of the times are observed--such as not having electricity in the Middle Ages--and the plot is involving without having to resort to fancy asthetic tricks like showy magical displays or otherwise. Instead, it's done quite the way an American fantasy novel would be.

There are so many little details that make it more realistic, as well: how the swordfighting is drawn, with long and heavy blows of the weapons; how the raids are planned out, just as they would have to be in order for them to be successful. Even little things, like being warned not to talk when riding a fast horse--"you'll bite your tongue off"--make it much more interesting and give it a depth that many series lack.

The first episode--I watched it again after I saw the others--is alarming to me, because I still haven't gotten to see how exactly those events come about. I like Griffith . . . and I don't want anything terrible to happen to him. (Well, nothing [I]more [/I] terrible.)

OOOOOOOOO I first saw Berserk about a year ago...and I was really happy. It deals with things that did actually happen in that timeline...except the stuff w/ the egg of the king.............that was just weird....... But anyway the characters were great and the ending did suck.......[spoiler]I really hate shows where they kill everyone @ the end. [/spoiler] I really had to watch it over again and again for a while before I could understand some of it....

(Listen to the anime Guru!) :love: :devil:

If you liked "Berserk" You may also enjoy......

Hellsing
Evangeilion *I know it's spelled wrong*
Sin
Metropolis
Akira
Anything in the top shelf in the video store
Anything gory

[color=hotpink][size=1]Please use the Spoiler Tags from now on, especially when referring to stuff as you did. You simply type [ spoiler] and then [/spoiler]. Also, try using words instead of "w/" or "@" in your sentences. Thank you! *QA*[/color][/size]

[quote name='iori503']Does anyone know if there is a new Berserk anime in the works? I know the original 25 episodes only covered like the first 10 books in the manga, basically just introducing how Guts became the Black Swordsman and his reasons for fighting Griffith. Dark Horse just started releasing the TPBs in English but I can't find any info on if there is a new season in the works or not. Off topic jumps about Berserk are welcome...[/quote]
I have never heard of any sequel to Berserk. I can't see a middle ground between the 25 episodes already released and what would be required to adapt the entirety of the manga, which is still being serialized through its 27th or 28th volume. This was a late-night anime due to its violence and so a longer run was never in the cards.

Although some quibble with the ending of the anime there was less material to work with back when it was made. The anime relates a complete arc explaining what turned Gattsu into a one-eyed hunting machine; the rest of the manga is more episodic.

Most people who were concerned about Gattsu's fate or were puzzled by the harsh turn of events at the end have turned to the manga for answers. Answers can also be had by visiting some of the many fansites for the series.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tenchu
Anyone seen this wonderful anime? I have all but the last episode... Sad really, I wonder what happens. Anyways I loved it to death, anyone else seen it and enjoyed it?

[font=Georgia][color=blue]I've played the video game that was on Dreamcast. Was the story the same? If so, it was... unique. A bit weird since the main character did not have a... character. The universe they created was moody, to say the least. It did have some nice quirks, but overall, the game's story and atmosphere felt audience-unfriendly.[/color][/font]

Berserk? GOD, it was awesome. Then again, I'm one for deep story lines and lots of gore. I didn't care about the supposed crappy animation that some people may have stated. Some of the demons irritated me but then again, it's Japanese artists doing European demons. Anyways, the only reason Guts didn't seem to have any character cause [spoiler]HE KILLED HIS MENTOR DURING HIS YOUTH! Hell, I think that you mentally disturb just about anyone when they're young (I'm sorry if that spoils somethings for people that havn't seen it yet).[/spoiler] Further more, you must also realize that Guts has been a mercenary for nearly all his life. If they DO bring out the next series, he'd be even more heartless conciering the ending of the first 25 episodes. If anyone that hasn't seen it wants to know it, post so and I shall give thee the end.

[COLOR=Navy]*winces* I so did [i]not[/i] want to see that. Next time, please add spoiler tags to any sensitive information by typing [*spoiler]text[/spoiler] (but without the asterisk). Thanks!

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

I saw the whole Anime Series.

Sucks that they cut it off. I hear the Manga gets more gory, gruesome, and sexual but also better story afterwards.

I liked how they put a late scene as the first episode and started all over again. Great anime it was. Too short.

-ArV

• 1 month later...
ahhh Berserk! I ran into this series early in my anime years and I've since shown it toeveryone I know. i'm not going to lie, the art in some of the episodes are terrible and some shots are shown OVER AND OVER. It's kind of a joke and I've read several issues of the manga: the anime really leaves out ALOT! If you REALLY like Berserk I suggest going out and buy the manga Dark Horse has released (3 volumes so far; it's $13.95 U.S....pretty steep but worth it!) or you can get them in japanese. There are a ton of websites that have them translated and very well I might add.

DON'T go and read what happens without reading the manga! Though I haven't read the ending (I don't think they're all out yet are they? I can't afford all of them yet heh) but from what leads up after the anime is even more MIND BLOWING then all the craziness that happens before the [spoiler]Godhand comes back into Griffiths hands. Gatsu becomes like 10x stronger and the monsters he battles are way stronger then the Baron of Koda Castle (the snake guy in episode I)[/spoiler]

Also, I don't agree that this is for anyone that isn't seventeen or over, really. The manga is way more graphic. I guess the anime isn't so bad and can be handled but I just want to warn everyone...even the very first page of the manga is Gatsu getting down and dirty ^_^ lol

Hi Dreamseer Oona,

I'm afraid to read the last two paragraphs of your post because I don't want spoilers :\

If you could use the [.spoiler] and [/spoiler] tags (without the period) that would be great so I know what I /can/ read. ^^

I'd really like to read the manga and I know a friend of mine that would go *ahem* berserk to see what happens after the Falcons arc. (excuse the lame attempt at a pun) But I wonder the worth.

Since you've read the manga, can you describe its worth? Does it have better drawings and artwork than the anime? Do you have to re-read the Falcon saga again, or did the Anime do an accurate rendition of it? Is Griffith still a girl? ;_;

-ArV

I have now watched all 25 episodes . . . I want to hurt someone.

I just read the first volume of the manga, and it's got the same tone--but it's got a new character. Puck the Elf (which I'm assuming is a poor translation; Puck is about five inches tall and has wings, so I'm thinking he's a pixie/sprite); he's cute in a weird, always naked way. They edited him out in the anime, and I understand why, but he doesn't bring down the quality of the manga at all. There's not that much humor in the show, but Puck brings a little funny into the story.

I can't tell when Griffith and the others are even going to come into this. The Black Swordsman seems to carry on with kick-butt slaughter for about the first three books, un-Griffithed. (I haven't seen any mention in the back-of-the-book plot summaries of the Band of the Hawk.)

• 2 months later...
Phew, I'm surprised that I haven't responded to this thread yet, consdering that I'm such a big fan of this anime. I saw it.. back in September, so bear with me on remembering it all, heh.

Like I said before, I really love this anime, and was hooked from the first episode, which was probably the most action-filled first episode I've ever seen in an anime. Contrary to others in this thread, I thought that they did very well on the animation, and the backgrounds are some of my favorites, artistically, in any anime. People also generally believe Gutts to be absolutely heartless. Gutts has plenty of character, as revealed throughout the anime. His outer shell may be a hardened bad-***, but inside he can be very caring, which you can tell by his face when [spoiler]he finally leaves the Band of the Hawk[/spoiler].

I suppose that one thing that I've found that people hated about this anime was the ending, which does a complete 180 in like the last five episodes. I, myself, was confused by it as well a little bit. [spoiler]Like, how did they get back out of Hell? o_o[/spoiler] I'll tell you one thing, though. They did a great job of not answering some questions in the first episode until, literally, halfway into the LAST episode.

[quote name='Cyriel']Okay, I must say that I completely disagree with you on Berserk. When I started watching it, I thought it was one of the corniest, horribly-drawn things ever.[/quote]Corniest and most horribly-drawn ever? O.o I usually think of corny to describe something that is overly dramatic and takes itself way too literally, and Berserk wasn't this way at all. None of the characters were overly emotional, and I felt that it was pretty down-to-earth for the most part. I, for one, loved the animation, especially the background which was like a sketchy sort of backdrop.

[quote]I don't know, I thought that the plot line was stereotypical and boring.[/quote]As for a stereotypical plotline, I haven't seen very many mercernary animes so in that aspect it was kind of original. But it wasn't typical mercernary, either, and included demons and such, plus while you normally find someone who vows never to kill anyone, you have Gutts who is this bad *** and isn't afraid to kill people.

[quote]I thought that Gatts was annoying, and just way too macho. I mean, really, they made him win anything and everything.[/quote]Gutts was macho, sure, but I've seen way too many animes where there is this skinny person who is stronger than everyone else. When you get strong, you grow muscles. That's what happens. And if you haven't seen the whole series, you really can't say that he wins anything and everything, can you?

[quote]The music was actually good. Yes, very good music. And the outtakes were funny too. I don't know, I've heard that the anime gets better as the series progresses, but I got so sick of the first couple episodes that I stopped watching it. Should I continue? Not to mention, I heard the ending was..gory? or very..not suitable for young children.[/QUOTE]Yeah, the music definitely was enjoyable. It had that creepy sort of air to it that you have to hear to know what I'm talking about. o.o I liked the anime all the way through, so I would say that the anime stays good as it progresses, but I don't know if you'd like it. *shrug* But yes, the ending was pretty gory, and not suitable for younger audiences. [spoiler]Especially when Gutts cut his arm off so he could resque the naked lady. o_o[/spoiler]

[quote name='oshi]The first episode--I watched it again after I saw the others--is alarming to me, because I still haven't gotten to see how exactly those events come about. I like Griffith . . . and I don't want anything terrible to happen to him. (Well, nothing [i]more [/i']terrible.)[/quote]Yeah, even after going back to the first episode after watching a couple more really allows you to catch a lot more information, and keep you wondering what happens for the series to get to that point.

[quote name='natetron46']this sounds good, action packed anime, i havent heard of it until now, is it anything like what im used to (bebop, trigun, dragonball)? i think ill be checking it out.[/quote]Well coming from someone who's favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun is one of his top, I love Berserk. Can't say that I'm a fan of Dagonball, though.. anymore. <_< But while I'm fans of those animes, they aren't that similar. Berserk is a lot more serious and gory, and there are few jokes in the series. It also takes place in the middle ages, a much different time than Bebop of Trigun, but it's filled with action for sure.

• 8 months later...
[COLOR=Indigo]It suffers from "Digimon syndrome"

That said, it sucks in the beginning, but gets REAL good towards the end.

And as for the first question, I've heard of newer mangas being produced, and that story will lead to when the game (Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage, for the sga dreamcast) began.

Then a series on manga will (may)be released for those who don't have the game.

Anything else is uncertain.[/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Cyriel']Okay, I must say that I completely disagree with you on Berserk. When I started watching it, I thought it was one of the corniest, horribly-drawn things ever. I don't know, I thought that the plot line was stereotypical and boring. I thought that Gatts was annoying, and just way too macho. I mean, really, they made him win anything and everything. [/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]LOL, You do know this was created in 1997 correct? The animation to this very day actually looks better than half of the anime's released from 2000-2005. The old-style coloring they used was brilliant and matched the mood for this dark-ages tale. The stills they used were perfectly executed, like they were ripped off the manga. The production budget was low but it also made perfect sense to use superbly detailed stills to capture the dynamic and intensity that is portrayed in battles, especially if there is a large assembly of enemies attacking at once.

The plot line was sterotypical, LOL. Do you even know what the story is about? I've seen hundreds of anime and I haven't never seen one similar to Berserk, period. There is no balance in evil or good going on and this isn't the battle to save the world from evil itself. I know, I know, that's what you thought. Also whoever tries to say Berserk story isn't original, please I challenge you to explain what is going. Not even the manga is complete. I've read the import manga up to vol. 28, and I still see no end to this story. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Cyriel]Also, the animation was so...poor... I don't know if that's the way they wanted it, but when fighting sequences are just repeated..and repeated..and repeated....... You get the idea.
The music was actually good. Yes, very good music. And the outtakes were funny too.
I don't know, I've heard that the anime gets better as the series progresses, but I got so sick of the first couple episodes that I stopped watching it. Should I continue? Not to mention, I heard the ending was..gory? or very..not suitable for young children.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy]I believe they wanted the animation to look like that and also they had no choice because of its low budget. I haven't seen one repeated fighting sequence. All the stills were different, as well as the animation. Unlike Samurai Deeper Kyo which uses stills to portray their action sequences with such a high budget. I would proudly rate the animation an 8 compared to Last Exile's 10. You should continue watching it because this is truly an epic tale where there is no end in sight. After you're done watching it, I suggest you start reading the manga at Vol. 13, from there you really know nothing matches Berserk when it comes to storytelling.

Ken M. also stated that he would like to contiune a 2nd season but he believes there is not enough story in the manga yet. I know a 2nd season is going to come out because the ending is the perfect setup for it. Just look at Ghost in the Shell & Ghost in the Shell 2, nearly a decade apart from each other. Also since the 2nd half of Berserk is completely 18+ the series might come in OVA form, unless it becomes censored like Gantz which I doubt.
[/COLOR]

I think the manga would have to be completed before a new anime is made. The manga still has years to go b4 it's finished. So have some patience and read the manga while you're all waiting.

FYI: Berserk is rated as #6 on animenfo.com's top anime list and it's #12 on anidb.net

Is it against the rules to link to a site that provides scanlations?

[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]To those of us that have seen the outtakes, my favorite one is one of the last ones:
Blacksmith Dude: You leaving?
Gatsu:...
Blacksmith Dude: *Singing* Don't get yourself killed! Ahem...

Priceless...[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy]My favorite one is this,

Guts: Who wants to jerk me off?

Soldier crowds: A cheering uproar with all their hands raising.

LOL.[/COLOR]