OtakuBoards

What Manga would you recommend?

dposse

I have never read a magna before. I haven't read a magna before because I didn't know where to get magnas until someone told me( Barnes and Nobes, thanks Miki! :love: ). I was wondering if anyone can recommend a magna for me. Could you please recommend a good magna for a beginner who has never picked up a magna in his life? Also tell me why the magna would be good for a beginner. I love to read, and I would really like to start to read magnas. Thanks.

[color=green][size=1]

I would suggest you read Ranma 1/2 for its sheer comedy and slight action and good, funny, love story. Its just really quirky and I loved it from the moment I picked it up.

My favorite manga is Naruto because it has a full, magical universe and world built around the story, giving the characters rules to abide by and such. And it has a good story of action and comedy. I suggest it too.

I'm not big on manga though. I mean, I'm mostly an Anime guy, so if you find any Gundam UC manga's, grab hold of those. But don't be fooled by the Cowboy Bebop Manga, its nothing like the show nor does it have anything to do with it other than the characters. I was highly dissapointed, so watch out.[/color][/size]

Blade of the Immortal is simply amazing if you're looking for some cool Samurai/action manga. Manji is an immortal samurai after given kessen chu (sacred blood worms) that heal any wound he bears. So now he and his friend Rin (who hired him after her parents were killed.

The battles are amazing and the artstyle is so diffrent from most manga on the market. Go check it out now!

Guest kirakira247
i recommend sergeant frog because it is very funny. i also like x-day because it is about blowing up school! ;P

Guest ScirosDarkblade
(It's m-a-n-g-a. Magna is a bicycle company ;)).

If you want really beautiful artwork, you can't really do better than Oh My Goddess! And after reading it a bit you'll like the characters as well. It has very good dialoge -- Studio Proteus does a terrific job translating everything; they are very diligent.

As far as plot goes, I really like the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga, but it is not all released yet so if you get hooked you'll have to wait a while before the story is concluded. But it is the best-written manga I've read so far. And the artwork is great too.

So there are my suggestions. They're what got ME into manga, so I'm sure you'll find them at least enjoyable.

[QUOTE=ReFlux]I would suggest you read Ranma 1/2 for its sheer comedy and slight action and good, funny, love story. Its just really quirky and I loved it from the moment I picked it up.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with Ranma 1/2. Rumiko Takahashi is one of my favorites. She does an excellent job expressing that ackward tension between guys and girls who have feelings for each other. A little bit of humor, some drama and some great characters. It is a great manga to read. I really enjoyed reading the series.

What it comes down to is that it really depends on what type of storyline you enjoy reading. Do you like love stories? Mecha? Adventure? What one person loves may be pure torture to someone else. :wigout:

Best of luck finding the manga series you will love!

[color=darkblue]Everyone who had posted so far is right; it all depends on what sort of taste you have. Just to cover most bases, I'll post a bit of everything:

[b]Comedy-[/b] If you want a good laugh, I suggest picking up a copy of Excel Saga by Rikdo Koshi. It may send you to the dictionary at times, but still a great read. You can also check out Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi as previously suggested, which relies less on cultural references for humor. Furi Kuri is a great read, too.

[b]Action-[/b] Inu-Yasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale by Rumiko Takahashi is great for lots of action (with some romantic comedy mixed in). Also has it's fair share of drama and evil cliffhangers. Some consider Magic Knight Rayearth I & II by CLAMP to fall into this category as well. Great art + great story line = Great read. ^^

[b]Dark Tone-[/b] Confidential Confessions is more focused towards older teens and adults, but still a good manga to read (though the whole suicide themes and such may be a bit much for some).

[b]Teen Drama-[/b] For teen dramas, there's nothing like Peach Girl and Peach Girl: Change of Heart by Miwa Ueda. The ongoing drama square between Momo, Toji, Sae and Kiley is more than enough to keep even the most avid soap opera watcher occupied, lol. You can also check out Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio is a great read too.

[b]Kid Drama Aimed at Teens-[/b] Kodocha: Sana's Stage by Miho Obana is a nice read for a dose of pre-adolesent drama. The relationship between Sana and Akito is hilarious and sad, in a way.

[b]Mystical Fantasy Worlds-[/b] Magic Knight Rayearth I and II would fall more appropriately here. You can also check out Those Who Hunt Elves for a mix of fantasy and reality (as close as such a manga can get, anyway).

[b]Mangas set on other planets-[/b] Trigun by Yasuhiro Nightow is a great buy, and is extremely popular right now. Trust me, fall all the hilarious Vashisms in that series, it's well worth the money. The Candidate for Goddess is another good book, which also falls in the mecha category.

[b]Mecha-[/b] The entire Mobile Suit Gundam series is great (though I didn't like the original Mobile Suit Gundam myself.) and is definatley worth at least a looksee. Neon Genesis Evangelion would sort of fall here, but really, it's more of a drama. I've only read the first volume, but if it's anything like the anime, it may get confusing the farther you go along.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll get back to you with other suggestions.[/color]

i guess it does depend on what you're interested in, but personally i reccomend just about anything by rumiko takahashi. she does some great work and shes one of my favorite manga authors, ranma 1/2 and inu-yasha are great to read. also, trigun is another great manga i think. (cant wait till the nest one comes out in english!) If youre looking for fantasy-ish type stuff, clamp works are always worth it, the art is good and the stories they think up are awesome. well, i hope this helped you ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ReFlux, good idea.
NARUTO ALL THE WAY!!!!! I think you should try to find shonen jump. It's a monthly colloction of diffrent mangas, that way you can find what you like best. Also, try reading the InuYasha series. It's pretty violent, but really cool.

Anyways, that just my opinion. Cya later fellow manga-er.

I recommend the Battle Angel Alita series and Battle Angel Alita: Lost Order. They are about this cyborg named Alita and her travels as she unravels the mysteries of her past from Mars. It's a good read if you are into theoretical-science-y stuff and tons of action. Oh, the manga also has the best sport ever: MOTORBALL!! That's all I'll give you about that. The original series is 8 mangas long, and I don't really know how long Lost Order is. But I recommend it, dang it!

I would say Hellsing only cause it is awsome manga. I love the style of the art and it is fun to read it then watch the anime. ^^ I also say Petshop of Horrors is a good one and Uzamaki. Two good horror ones. The others I like tend to be girly like Tokyo Mew Mew and Sailor Moon Stars but still good manga. Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2 is very good.

I haven't read any of the Hellsing manga yet, but my friends are absolutely in love with it. I've glimpsed the artwork... it's stunning.

As for what I've read... Chobits is good, but it gets cutesy at times... the artwork is great, though, and hey, I actually put forth the money to buy all eight of them, so I guess I can say I liked it a lot. ^.~; Rurouni Kenshin is pretty good, too, but I feel like (similar to the anime) there are parts that could be a little less... well, cheesy. Overall, it's likeable. I can't wait until the next volume comes out (not to mention, the Kyoto arc...). I've read the first two X-day, and while I was a bit puzzled by the end of the second volume, I really like it. I think it has the potential to be really deep and psychological, and maybe I'm just strange that way, but I like that sort of thing a lot. Trigun is also good, but if you've seen the anime beforehand, it gets different... I was pretty confused about the ending of the second volume, but I'm content to wait for Trigun Maximum.

That's all I can think of for now... I hope you can make sense out of my jumble of text...

Well, my current favorites are AzuManga Daioh and Samurai Deeper Kyo. Both are very good. AzuManga is one that i would suggest if you are into the funnier side of manga, as Samurai Deeper is more of a killing spree kinda book. It does, however, tie humor into it in some places. But, beware, if you are not one for...um...nearly nude girls, i wouldnt reccommend Samurai Deeper Kyo :P.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Century Gothic]As said multiple times before me, it depends on what you like. I myself like fantasy, action, adventure, and comedy (sometimes romance, but sometimes it gets too sappy).

Here are some current titles I like:

DNAngel <------- already starting to love
Fruits Basket <-------- possible my favorite
Gundam Wing <--------- words cannot describe
Gundam Seed: Astray <--------- just starting to get into it, but it's looking good
.hack//Legend of the Twilight <-------- it's .hack//, need I say more?
Inu-Yasha <-------- a must have series for anyone who like action
One Piece <-------- strange, yet compelling
Naruto <--------just ask any Naruto fan here
Ruroni Kenshin <------- historical, yes, but it's full of sword fights

Hope this helps, and also ask any of your friends

(BTW, you can also get manga at Borders, who has a great selection, Waldenbooks, and your local comic store. Well, at least mine, and I don't at all like comics. Period.

Anyone message me about any manga titles your reading![/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest water spirit
babble: A manga that is really great is "Ceres Celestial Legend".This is a great story if you like stories that has element magic, and also uses today language. This book is great but if you like detective stories you'll like"Spica P.I" its really nice, well hope this helps. :) I like fantasy, drama, and mystery find what you like and tell us.

The manga I would suggest reading is InuYasha. It's really quite addictive. It's almost always full of action, and when it's not, it's got a lot of comedy in it too. Plus some romance between Inuyasha and Kagome, and maybe a couple of other characters.....

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=CenturyGothic]Of COURSE Inu-Yasha is a must have title for any otaku of manga! If you don't read Inu-Yasha.... it's just too unthinkable to type down. I haven't gotten very far in the manga (why, my dear bookstore, why must you run out of the volumes I need!?!?) but I've watched all of the anime, and that alone should get you to read the manga.
Anyway I gotta go, time to finally go home.

ONLY 6 MORE DAYS TILL GRADUATION!!! WOOHOO!![/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest SenbonHaku
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]For all of those Shounen-Ai/Yaoi fans, I recommend Demon Diary. It's not a backwards manga. But it's still so cute ^^ I don't know if there's an anime for it though, but if there is, could someone tell me? I'd love to watch it.

I recommend Naruto, also. I read the Volume One and was hooked. I've started watching the anime too. I'm on episode 35 in the early episodes and episode 86 in the latest ones. I started watching the last episodes since I couldn't find the begining and now I'm just sorta watching both sides. It's strange, but I don't mind it.

And does anyone know where to get Angel Sanctuary episodes?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Manga is a good subject for me. I have spent about a thousand dollars in a little over a year so far. The titles I recomend are:

Ranma 1/2
Fushigi Yugi
Ceres
Alice 19th
Mars (definetly!)
Peach Girl
Girl Got Game
Hana Kimi
Kill You, Kiss You (Or was it kill me, kiss me? Any way, its got about the same plot thing going on as Hana Kimi and Girl Got Game)
Trigun
Confiential Confessions
Sailor Moon
Gravitation (yummy!)
Hot Gimmick (My current favorite. Its kinda like a teenage soap opera in a way, lol)
Battle Royale (Blood, guts, and, erm, panty shots?)
Demon Diary

Well, of course all this is just stuff that appeals to me, a 15 year old girl. Except Battle Royale. That's much more popular with my guy friends. If I remember something I'm forgetting, I'll be sure to tell you.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkRed]As soo many people have said before, it depends on what you're into. I, personally, started with Inuyasha. Then I read WISH, which I'd recommend to you, and then I started collecting Chobits (I only have one and two.), and Card Captor Sakura:Master of the Clow. The CCS: Master of the Clow, can be confusing if you don't understand the story. I also own Magic Knight Rayearth # 1 (I recommend that)...I also have read many others that I wouldn't recommend to new readers.

In a nutshell, I recommend:

[B]WISH[/B] by CLAMP <---if you're into lovey-dovey things
[B]Chobits[/B] by CLAMP <--if you don't mind some sexual jokes! heh heh
[B]Inuyasha[/B] by Rumiko Takahashi <-- it has good humor and action sequences
[B]Magic Knight Rayearth[/B] by CLAMP <-- It has pretty art! n.n
OR
[B]Card Captor Sakura[/B] by CLAMP <-- It is extremely cute, but can be confusing if you're not familiar with the series.

I hope I can be of some assistance!

(Just a note, I am a CLAMP fanatic, so if just so happen to not like CLAMP, I apologize.)[/COLOR]

Does anyone know any mystery magnas? I love mystery stories, and if you can recommend any magnas that have a mystery story in it, that would be great.

Also, i have a few questions. I don't know alot about magnas, so please bare with me.

I like inuyasha, but are the stories the same as the anime? i saw some Inuyasha books at a book store, and they looked the same as the anime.

Another thing, why would i read a magna that i could easily see the anime on TV? If its the same as the anime, why should i buy a magna like Inuyasha?

The reason i'm asking is because of of two things. One, i don't know alot about magnas. And two, i don't have alot of money. Thank you.