OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Semjaza

[quote name='Takuya']First of all, I think the 'two worlds' concept is interesting, but I don't like the fact that the Dark World damages you. Continuous damage is not something I like having to deal with. Also, I definatly do not like the fact that the three beam weapons you find throughout the game require ammo. Beams aren't supposed to need ammo.[/quote]
I must disagree. I absolutely love that the Dark World atmosphere damages you, because it adds an entirely new level of strategy to the game. You really have to plan out what you're doing, where you're going, and time going between the Light bubbles so you spend a minimal amount of time in the toxic areas. The Dark Suit helps minimize the damage, as well, so that's a neat part of the concept.

I've run into a few snags with the ammo thing, but I've found that once you get both the Dark and Light beams, replenishing ammo isn't all that difficult: kill with the Dark, get Light ammo, and Light for Dark. With the right rationing of shots, I've been able to restock my ammo supplies up until 1 from the max, because that's just not possible.

[QUOTE]I do like the looks of the new Seeker Missile Launcher, and the new Echo Visor could be fun. I'm also glad that you don't have to run from Dark Samus like you did with the SA-X in Metroid Fusion. The other bosses look great, too. I can't wait to fight Quadraxis.[/QUOTE]
I've not gotten the Echo Visor yet, but I do love the Seeker Missile Launcher. Really, I'm very impressed with the new door locks, and the variety of locking mechanisms and how to get past them and such. Very cool stuff.

I share your sentiments about Dark Samus; I don't think it would have worked very well for a chase sequence...seems more suited to 2D. I've been wowed by the bosses so far. I think the last one I slapped around was the Boost Guardian.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Dark World damage thing is something I personally like. First, it just fits the theme and atmosphere of that side of the planet. While, yes, it is a pain to be losing energy constantly, it heightens the mood in a few ways by creating a sort of tension the game couldn't get through other methods. It's not like light beacon points are hard to find and the other suits make up for it.

I don't mind the beam ammo. Considering what they were made for and what they are, the ammo makes sense to me. As mentioned, getting more is simply as easy as killing any lifeform (I use those weird purple sack things mostly) with the opposite beam. If they get to zero, then you are given some from any kill automatically. No big deal.

I've never had a problem recharging it in a normal situation and it adds quite a bit of challenge to battles, particularly boss fights where beam types seem to make the most difference.

I must say that there are actually points where you can get stuck completely without the proper beams. I remember one tunnel where there were two light doors but I didn't have any light ammo once I was inside... the only enemies inside of the tunnel were unbeatable. I was forced to reset, which was quite aggravating.

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']I must say that there are actually points where you can get stuck completely without the proper beams. I remember one tunnel where there were two light doors but I didn't have any light ammo once I was inside... the only enemies inside of the tunnel were unbeatable. I was forced to reset, which was quite aggravating.[/quote]
[color=#4B0082]Um ... couldn't you have just charged up a shot to open the doors? I haven't actually run out of ammo yet to try this, but when I got the Light and Dark Beams, it said that if you run out of ammo, you can charge up to fire a normal shot with them. Which I figured was for exactly that sort of situation, where you're stuck in a room with only light/dark doors and no ammo, since it wouldn't really be useful in combat.[/color]

• 1 month later...
Geeze, I can't believe that no one has posted in this thread for over a month. o.o Such an incredible game, too.

I got Echoes for Christmas, and haven't gotten a whole lot of time to play it so far because of homework, but I have clocked in about eight and a half hours. I like to take my time, though. Get the most out of a video game, especially one as pretty as this. Compared to the first game, which is my favorite game.. ever, so far I'm enjoying this one just as much, if not more. heh

The thing that probably accounts for most of my time is the scanning, which is significantly improved from the last game, in my opinion. The best part is that everything turns completely green once it's scanned, so it's [i]much[/i] easier to tell whether or not you have to do it. Scanning also helps with the story line and continuing through the game, so it's more useful from the last game as well. Plus, once you reach 40% scans, you get an image gallery, which I aquired just a little while ago. Yay! ^_^ There are only a couple things in particular that I think that I forgot to scan, one of which being the beam shooter that the space pirates can get in and shoot at you.

The graphics are laregly the same, but that's not a problem for me because I loved the last game's so much. It became a little frustrating when I realized that I would have to collect all of the items [i]again[/i], but that's a Metroid game for you. >.o

Right now, I'm about 19% through the game, and I just got the Dark Suit after beating that freaking slug monster thing, so I'm heading back to the light world to give that guy the.. energy thing. Hopefully I'll have some time to play it over the weekend, lol.

[color=darkred]When going for endings, it's your item percentage rate that counts, and not your scans. To get the third ending, I think you need 80% of the items. I got 86% and it showed [spoiler]Samus in her blue spandex, outside of her Power Suit.[/spoiler] Not only that, but you get the [spoiler]Monster Image Gallery[/spoiler], as well.[/color]

• 1 month later...
Alright, I'm about 41% through the game now, with 15 or so hours clocked in (I really haven't gotten a many chances to play it lately, what with school work and college stuff), and I just got the Dark Visor. I'm looking around and seeing all of these things that require Denzium to destroy, and I'm thinking.. how much longer until I get the power bomb? It's not too big a deal, but if someone could give me an estimate, it would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

[quote name='Syk3']Alright, I'm about 41% through the game now, with 15 or so hours clocked in (I really haven't gotten a many chances to play it lately, what with school work and college stuff), and I just got the Dark Visor. I'm looking around and seeing all of these things that require Denzium to destroy, and I'm thinking.. how much longer until I get the power bomb? It's not too big a deal, but if someone could give me an estimate, it would be greatly appreciated. ^_^[/quote]

I would normally say not that long, but since it took you 15 hours to get to where you are, it might be awhile :P

It's not too much longer, seriously lol.

[color=darkred]Just a little tip:

Most of the paths blocked off by Denzium usually lead to upgrades and expansions, so if I were you, I'd take a mental (or written ;)) note of all the locations you've spotted so far, 'cause you could end up a very rich man, if you know what I mean.[/color]

[size=1][color=royalblue]I may have said my piece on this game a while back, but there's only two complaints I have:

One, I hate the Light Suit...I don't like running around with headlights on my chest.

And two, there's simply not enough Space Pirates to maim.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]I would normally say not that long, but since it took you 15 hours to get to where you are, it might be awhile :P

It's not too much longer, seriously lol.[/QUOTE]lol, well I've racked up at least another five hours playing, but still no power bomb. I did get a hint to go to a particular area in the dark world for missing equipment, though, so I'm almost positive it should be it. I just got the spider ball and have left the mechanical temple place.

I enjoy taking my time, though, savoring the game for how fun it is, haha. I'm trying my best to go for 100%, and I occasionally just leave the game running while my health goes up in the crystal parts of the dark world, then go off and eat or something and come back later. Sometimes with items, I'll even go back to the beginning and go through the game trying to see what I can use them to unlock.

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred]Just a little tip:

Most of the paths blocked off by Denzium usually lead to upgrades and expansions, so if I were you, I'd take a mental (or written ;)) note of all the locations you've spotted so far, 'cause you could end up a very rich man, if you know what I mean.[/color][/QUOTE]Oh man, I can't even begin to note all of the locations so far. I have to have seen at least 20, because those damn yellow doors and blocked places marked Denzium are [i]everywhere.[/i]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Which should make the path to the Power Bombs all the more speedier lol.

I swear the bosses in this game make me TIRED, physically and mentally. x_X;; Gragh...I haven't finished this game while I borrowed it, I got fed up with the larvae-evolves-to-moth of doom boss guy, and I won't bother with the game until I actually buy it. :([/color][/size]

• 6 months later...
I just completed this yesterday, at the end the last boss is really easy, but the second last is really hard. Its a great game and im glad its actually challenged me (17 hrs) as all other games ive played recently have been way too easy.

ps i got 75% complete ending