OtakuBoards

What do you do to cheer yourself up?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]Yeah, this is a dumb topic I guess, but I need a dumb topic.

Between the ups and downs of pregnant lady hormones, the stupid news talking about stupid Iraq, and my husband being in the stupid country known as Iraq I've had more bad days than good ones. Come on, how many people here actually cry during their local news-or throw the TV remote at the anchor person during the stories on IRaq?

So far in order to make myself feel better I've taken to watching the Court shows (ie Judge Judy, Judge Mathis ect) and Jerry Springer. Because atleast I know for a fact my brother isn't sleeping with my husband. I also read and try to hang out with my friends when I can. There's also work, but that just gives me something to do with some extra money thrown in.

My question is what do you do to cheer yourself or others up? Heck, if someone wants to admit to watching people's court as an upper I promise not to laugh.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy]I think this is anything BUT a stupid topic-- cuz anxiety and sadness are big issues. Unfortunately they top my hit parade. At our house, we try to watch only PBS news.... if the TV if left on, and the local newscaster appears, my parrot gets upset. He starts yelling "Yeah, right!!" then shreiking. I try sketching when I feel bad, especially try to sketch something silly. The other thing that seems to help is to get outside the house into sunlight, and I usually have a little CD player because the music sometimes helps encourage me to walk around a little more. Call up a friend or relative you haven't talked with in a while, go to a neighborhood park or bistro to be with other people. Knitting helps me a lot, because the colours, new fibers make me relax, and there are a lot of knitting circles I can stop in on. I also will watch Judge Judy or a program like that . I think to myself, well at least my life seems in control/ On bad days, I also put los of extra pillows on my bed so there is a very soft big cushion to curl up onl

Sometimes when I feel shaken up, ,getting out is hard, but being alone usually is worse for me. Talking to online friends also helps. Hope that difficult times get better .[/COLOR]

Depending on the situation. I have arthritis and if I am in alot of pain and feeling depressed about that I usually do things to keep my mind busy. I will watch some cheesy movies like Airplane! or some fun anime like Ranma 1/2, something light-hearted. Definately no dramas! Or read some fun mangas while listening to upbeat music. That always makes me feel better. :)

If it isn't physical pain I am depressed about then anything to get my mind off of what is troubling me. Calling my friends and talking about the thing that is bothering me. Going on the message boards and finding a fun post to respond to. Venting on my blog or writing in my journal helps me sort out my feelings. Exercise is great to fight depression. Work out, get all of your tension and frustrations out AND you will physically feel better.

If all else fails, a really good crying session. I know sometimes just having a good cry, you know, the kind that makes your eyes all puffy and your nose run, will make you feel better when you are done. After that, since you definately don't want to go out in public, get online and go to a friend's blog who you know will have something interesting and read away the day! You are more than welcome to go read about my gassy dog on myO....truly a no brainer journal entry! :laugh:

Keeping busy I find is the best way to beat depression and feeling down. My friend Missy is a great example. Her hubby is in Iraq and she keeps herself so busy I don't know when she gets time to sleep! Full time work, 3 year old son, daughter who is in sports, school functions, stuff with the Army wives and then lots of church stuff to top it off! Keeping busy makes the time go by faster and keeps her mind off of constant worry over her hubby. :)

I'll keep you in my thoughts ChibiHorsewoman, PM me if you want to visit!

i kno how u feel about crying at the news.. when i see things like that i start thinking about all the problems in the world and sometimes get so deep in those thoughts they become philosophical! (like.. if this is happening is there really a god? and why are there so many evil people in the world?) all this can get really depressing so i try and divert my attention to more happy simplistic things like anime or happy music, sometimes i feel bad about stopping myself thinking about the news, cause it seems ignorant.. but if u want to cheer up, not thinking about those issues (for the time being) is a good idea. Watch a sitcom, that always helps me.. something like friends or fraiser.. like panda said no dramas! a happy ghibli film like kikis delivery service or totoro would be great anime to watch. (if u watch anime that is). Hope that helps..

[COLOR=Orange][B]Smile![/B] [/COLOR] :)

What cheers me up? Well, having time to myself, being independant but not depended on, having something to do, but not because it is necessary really helps me. Getting out of the house is a really good thing to stop me feeling depressed, or blobby, especially if it's sunny, warm, or windy. Walking after it's finished raining, and the sun has come back out, can also be good. Reading a good book, eating seedless grapes, being creative, stroking an animal, picking a flower, curling up in a freshly made bed...well simple things that bring just a spark of happiness. Nothing lazy, but nothing too complicated either- eating sweets and chocolate, and oversleeping, or watching too much TV/computer screen, can make me feel lethargic.
Well, got to go, Dinner!
Hope this helps...it's a little incomplete, but I'm ravenous!
Cinnamon ;)

I think listening to music is one of the worst things I do to cheer myself up. Only because it never really helps and whenever I'm feeling better and I go back to listen to some certain cd it's already associated with the sadness I felt before when I played it non-stop and cried to it. I attach music to moments, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, what I do do to cheer myself up is go out. Some may call it running away from your problems, but when you're busy and running around with a bunch of friends that make you laugh the entire day you have no time to think about the bad things. And when you're finally done and ready to get back home you're too tired to be depressed and you take a shower and you go to bed and you wake up with this little high from knowing you have crazy friends that'll do a lot to cheer you up. It's nice ::nods::

I try to avoid watching the news...my friend isn't allowed to watch it because her husband is Kuwait and she promised him she wouldn't watch so I decided to not watch it with her *nod*

It really depends on what sort of 'trauma' I am going through. The majority of the time I'll write poetry to try and get something off my shoulders, or I'll write a story in which the character is going through troubles worse than I am just so I can remind myself that my problems are very simple ^^;

I also read to cheer myself up...something silly with lots of humor in it to make me laugh or smile. Ranting in an online journal also helps or even chatting with my strange assortment of friends. With so many ways to cheer myself up it makes me wonder why I drift between happy and sad so much, heh.

[SIZE=2]wot cheers me up.........well writin fan fiction for things like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 help i never post them anywhere i just write them then read them to myself, or reading other peoples fan fiction helps......
sometimes just resting in my bed and listenin to very loud music so i cant hear anybody or anything else relaxes me[/SIZE]

[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue]Mmmm.... chocolate always helps me! ^^ I think there's some natural chemical in it that soothes pople..... eh, I don't know for sure..[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue]Listening to up-lifting music really helps as well. Just happy sounding music, ya know?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue]Also, imagining that I'm killing a hated person/thing REALLY helps!!!! :devil: lol.....[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue]Reading/seeing funny things, too! ^^[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=deepskyblue]I hope everyone who posts here helps you, or someone else that needs cheering up! Also, I hope your husband comes home safe & sound![/color][/font]

[color=orange][size=1] I go out and party with my friends until I'm dead tired. Or try to think of a way out of the situations that's screwing up my life at that particular moment. Either way, I always feel better in the end, and my head always hurts. [/color][/size]

There's a lot of things I do to cheer myself up. A lot of it depends on why I need to be cheered up. If I'm angry, I punch pillows and slam doors. At best, it makes me feel better, and at worst, after doing so I'm too tired to do any real damage. If I'm depressed, I watch movies or read a book. Both are good at distracting you from whatever is making you sad. And, of course, whenever I talk to my friends, somehow or another we end up making jokes and before you know it we're laughing our heads off.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Alot of things cheer me up, sitting down with my guitar and some good TABs of songs I like for some reason make me forget my powers for a little bit. Listening to music also cheers me up I'll just sit down for a few hours and listen to my favorite hip hop or rock songs and just vibe off them for a little and I get to a point where its like I kind of disappear and all there is, is the music.

A good movie helps me out too, its liek no matter how many times I see it this film called The Last Dragon always cheers me up, for some reason I love to watch martial arts films when im depressed or sad.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Playing video games, listening to LP,Godsmack, Godhead, some other random rock, ALt. Rock, Nu-Metal,Techno bands, creating a game on RPG Maker 2000, watching movies, talking to friends (Well, what few I have), beating up a tree with my kendo stick, and, the most common from me, just yelling in my backyard. I don't know why that yelling helps...it's just like a daily ritual for me. I mean, yelling is something that everyone else in my family gets to do. I just like to knell down for a long while and just yell my lungs out. I once fell unconcious from yelling too much...you can guess what my family did...

[color=#0099ff]I am extremely compassionate. That's what my shrink said after I told her that I cry at every little sad thing that happens. I watch the news and bawl at everything. The people that lose a loved one in Iraq, that cop who was killed by that 16-year-old jackass, and September 11th story, if an animal dies... *sigh* And I look like I'm tough. people think I'm evil and mean by the way I look, whick has a valid reason. Before I would dress like the average teenager, a tiny bit on the preppy side. But then I would get poked fun at sometimes, and I couldn't take it. So now I try looking as evil and heartless as possible so people will leave me alone. That helps me from getting all sappy at school.

Tv is a different story. To cheer up, I turn off the offending crap, roll over and go to sleep. I wake up feeling better. I also change the channel to watch some comedy or court show (The People's Court. Judge Milan is funny.) if it's still early. The Simpsons are a big pick-me-upper, as well as just going online and talking with my friends. =)[/color]

Well, to cheer my self up after I day, I write, I know it sounds really stupid, but it really calms me down, I get all my feelings onto paper and i really think I make some good stories with that, it gets all the tension out, and it has made me a good writer too, in expressing emotion

Another method i use is looking at the news, and seeing people worth off than me makes me think, why I am in this state, I really do feel sorry for you, I hope that your husband is Ok, all the best to you, and him, and I hope that he returns safly to you, good luck, and please, so not lose hope

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]When I'm down I just watch funny shows or funny anime, anything funny to cheer me up

Funny shows would include The Chappelle Show and Bo Selecta

Funny anime would include Love Hina and Great Teacher Onizuka

To be honest though, most of the time it's best to just hang out with your friends, they tend to cheer you up the best[/FONT][/COLOR]

I have a hard time cheering myself up. If im mad then seriously, just stay away because i dont get slightly irritated. When i get mad i go from happy to full blown b***h. They only way for me to cool down from ebing mad is to sleep on it.

Being sad is a whole different issue. Ive been sad alot lately. im 14 though, so go figure right? Im not about to expose my issues all over the net thought so i just do something that makes me laugh. luckily i have a friend( a very cute fried, if u know what i meen ;) ) that has a video camera. He makes really funny videos to. I asked him if i could burn them and he said ok as long as I use it for personal reasons. So whenever i need a laugh i pop the dvd into the dvd player. I suppose laughter is the ebst medicine, unless of course your sick, then stay away from laughing :wigout: