OtakuBoards

Saiyuki

Pirokiko

[COLOR=DarkRed]Mmm, Saiyuki...the bishieful goodness of it all.

I first picked this up a week or so ago, when my mom gave me some reward money for my report card. (All B's, go Kiko!) I had heard of it, and seen many a fanart involving Cho Hakkai, and decided to go ahead and get Volumes one and two.

By the fifth page, I had already been sucked into the vortex.

I know that the base story has been redone thousands of times, the most memorable being Akira Toriyama's Dragonball series...but I just couldn't help falling in love with Saiyuki. Depth, a fascinating story, and enchanting characters, all in one manga. I didn't think it could get any better. And then I realized how hot some of those guys are! (Forgive my random fangirl attacks.)

After reading the two volumes, I went searching for as much information about the character backgrounds for Gojyo, Sanzo, Goku, and Hakkai as I could, and I found WAY too much...I cried my heart out over one in particular. They all have tragic pasts, and it's made apparent from the very beginning that the characters harbor very turbulent thoughts and emotions, covered by a ruse of some sort--whether it be childlike innocence (Goku), a cool and collected iintellectual (Hakkai), an unattached priest (Sanzo), or a badboy with a taste for good smokes and bad women (Gojyo).

So tell me, members of Otakuboards...if you have read Saiyuki, tell me...what elements grabbed you the most? What did you like or hate about it?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=deeppink]Volumes 1 and 2 are all I've read so far but I'm taking a grab at 3 as soon as I can. I wasn't much attached until I started the second. I've been focused the most on Cho Hakkai because of his mysterious calmness in any situation. I've been stuck on him although since I started reading. I love his personality and awkward humor. It's why I'm so into him. It's what most of my favorite characters are like in just about any manga or anime.

I really hate the enemies and youkai however. They're not much different from what you usually see and just drags the story a bit. The fact that Sanzo passes out at the end of volume 2 ticked me because I really hate suspense. It's going to take me weeks before I can get to see what happens. But I'm not one to wait that long. Most likely I'll look it up somewhere and find out far more than I need to. Then the story will bore me as I read through.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Honestly, the main thing that drew my into [B]Saiyuki[/B] is the fact that it's LOOSELY based from [I]Journey to the West[/I]. AND I do mean loosely. I grew up knowing the story of the Monkey King so I thought I'd take a jab at this series.

Overall, I wouldn't say that Saiyuki is my most favorite series [although, my younger sister absolutely LOVES it], the series does an interesting job of taking an old story and making it new. Both Sanzos from Saiyuki and Journey are INCREDIBLY different! And to tell ya the truth, I prefer Genjo Sanzo over the original Sanzo any day! HEHE! Yeah. All the characters are COMPLETELY different than in Journey--thank God! If they were anything alike, then I'd SO lose interest!

The rest of the manga volumes need to come out now! And NOT because I want to read them--it's because I want to read [B]Saiyuki Reload[/B]--the next saga! Hurry, hurry!
[/COLOR]

I agree with Monkey Orange 100%. If the characters were like the original story I don't think I would find much interest in it. In the original story Sanzo was suppose to be a real wimp that had to be rescued constantly and Hakkai was a pig! Not much bishie goodness in those images.

I am really enjoying reading the manga. I can't wait until all the volumes are released in english. I am not sure at this point what I enjoy more between the manga and anime. I will have a better opinion after reading a few more volumes. Minekura's work is just beautiful and the character design is the best. I can't wait to read more!

*sighs* Well, it's sort of strange how I got into Saiyuki. I read up about the anime series after hearing about it from a friend. I knew about Gojyo (he's what made me find out more about the series) but I'd never seen any of the other characters. I saw the manga in my local anime shop and kinda freaked out ^^
What I like most about it is...well, I love Sanzo (like someone else >.> *looks at Panda*) he's so sexy ^__^ But the story is great and so funny. It's gotta be one of the best manga's I've ever read!
I'm still waiting for book 3 to come out....why did it have to end with our Sanzo spewing blood?! Even though I know he doesn't die....(honestly, I nearly cried at that bit)

[QUOTE=Panda]I agree with Monkey Orange 100%. If the characters were like the original story I don't think I would find much interest in it. In the original story Sanzo was suppose to be a real wimp that had to be rescued constantly and Hakkai was a pig! Not much bishie goodness in those images.
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]You know, the funny thing is that I AM currently watching the original [B]Journey to the West[/B], the Chinese one made in like the 80s --I think ^^;

Nothing attractive there at all--but heck, I'm just watching it for the sheer awesomeness of the Monkey King. Yep, that's Goku!

I should post up a picture from the show. Trust me. You WON'T be seeing any bishies ^^;

[U]EDIT:[/U]
Here's the picture of the movie from the 80s. It's the one that I am currently watching. ^^;

Sanzo, Goku, Gojyo, & Hakkai. Can YOU pick them out?

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/738220/saiyuki.jpg[/IMG]

[/COLOR]

:::Looks at Imi's post::: EVERYONE is in love with Sanzo-kun. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Sanzo would be the most fun to have as an older brother type, but...HAKKAI. HAKKAI, PEOPLE! XD He's adorable. But his past is...so sad...I cried at that, for the first time in ages, a teardrop or two hit my legs, I had to put down the book and CRY. I son't normally get too emotional over anything, but that really got to me, for personal reasons.

:::Looks at the picture::: Good God...what happenned? XD I think that they took the creatures they "were" very literally, and used that to make the makeup morgue and costume plot. Though I have to say, from what I'm looking at, they did an okay job. But I like Kazuya Minekura's version better. ^^

[QUOTE=Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange]Honestly, the main thing that drew my into [B]Saiyuki[/B] is the fact that it's LOOSELY based from [I]Journey to the West[/I]. AND I do mean loosely. I grew up knowing the story of the Monkey King so I thought I'd take a jab at this series.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I love saiyuki!Yes saiyuki is based on [I]Journey to the West[/I]. The anime is alsome and the manga rates right up with it.Unlike most of you who seem too have stuck to Hakkai or Sanzo.GOKU IS MY MAN!!!The monkey king rocks hard!!!!

[spoiler] Like Imi said Sanzo doesn't die but Goku goes berserk.In other words his power limter breaks off and he turns demon.He is even more cute as a demon!"THE GREAT SAGE GOKU!!!!The demon created from where the earthly aura gathers."-Hakkai.[/spoiler]

Not spoiling anymore for you guys.If you must find out how it ends get the SaiYuki dvd.

I have a comment. Has anybody other than me noticed the odd similaites between Son Goku from Saiyuki and Son Goku from DB,DBZ,DBGT? I mean other than the name. Like their endless disire for food? Or that fact that bothe are monkeys(Monkey King)(Goku(DB)turning into a gaint ape)? Anybody else notice these or other similaites?

[quote name='Swordmaster13']I have a comment. Has anybody other than me noticed the odd similaites between Son Goku from Saiyuki and Son Goku from DB,DBZ,DBGT? I mean other than the name. Like their endless disire for food? Or that fact that bothe are monkeys(Monkey King)(Goku(DB)turning into a gaint ape)? Anybody else notice these or other similaites?[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Yes. Both Son Goku from both shows are based on the Monkey King from Journey to the West. In seeing how this is so, it makes sense that both of them exhibit the same characteristics as the original Monkey King *^^* Hope that helps.[/COLOR]

poor Hakkai- in the original he's a pig!!! quite a far cry from our cute and mildmannered Hakkai of the anime/manga!! i've heard that Sanzo is quite the weenie in the original as well- I LOVE this version, the characters just crack me up, I love them!

...You'd be the first I've EVER heard to refer to Sanzo-kun as a weenie...
:::Cracks up:::
There are definite differences in the characters from the original and Gensomaden Saiyuki, and I have to say, I'd MUCH rather hang out with these guys than a pig!

...though I'd have to carry a mousetrap in my pants--Gojyo, y'know...

[COLOR=deeppink][SIZE=1]Both Son Gokus were based from the same legend. That's why they're so much alike. Even their weapons somewhat. Goku's (Saiyuki) demon form and Goku's (DBZ) full moon transformation are the same because they were only altered a bit but still the same people. There's no big mystery behind it. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 1 year later...
I am in love with Saiyuki!!! :D
Kazuya Minekuras artwork makes the ten bucks worth wild :animesmil
the story is very original - - 4 guys trying to stop a great demon from coming back alive while on the way to the west, they have tons of demons in there way :animestun SAIYUKI ROCKZ!!!!
if u are a saiyuki fan please tell why and your input on Kazuya Minekuras masterpiece!!or just tell something about saiyuki that caught your eye :p

Any Saiyuki fans out there? Are you nuts? Of course there are some!! Saiyuki is by far my favorite manga, not only for the intricate character designs, but also for the story and the depth of the characters themselves. It is the best I've seen, and the only one I've deemed worthy enough to collect the entirety of.

Though, the story isn't that original. It's based off of the Chinese legend 'Journey to the West'--the same legend that Dragonball is sorta based off of, and the same legend that is used in a lot of different anime. I mean, it's been spoofed off in Inuyasha, and Read or Die the movie touches upon it too.

Still, I like these versions of the characters better. :catgirl:

I love Saiyuki. It's the best thing ever. I love the art work........come on their so hot. The story line gets soooo juicey as the story goes on. I started with the manga, which is the best thing ever. Then got into the anime, it's good but not as good as the manga. The characters are great. Thier very loveable...and one for everybody and their friend. Each guy goes for a different girl. Well that's how I see it. Sure it's pritty much a girl manga and anime. But if your a boy and looking into it I would say go for the manga. More gorey and action packed.

[quote name='Stark'] but also for the story and the depth of the characters themselves[/quote]
~~~~~~~
man i totally agree with you there she goes so deep- -she even tells that gojyo is left handed[who happens to be my fav :catgirl: ] just there backgrounds are detailed enough to make the whole story

I'm not that into Saiyuki anymore but I do agree the plot and the art work are really good. I like the character designs a lot (especially Sanzo and Kannon) and this is the best anime/manga adeption of the original legend. My fave characters are Gokuu and Nataku though (they are just so cute ^_^).

Guest Wolf-Toboe
Who isn't a fan of Saiyuki *Grins* I have an obsession of saiyuki that has almost ruined everything...^-^
I love Saiyuki so much! i just bought 3 keychains, and Artbook, and i made Sanzo's Priest Robes which i wore to school! ^-^
i own all of the manga, thats out, and i own all the episodes, including Reload and Gunlock, as well as the movie *Grins*
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/Scizo/Amber/Sanzo25.jpg[/IMG]

Guest wolverine4claws
I am in India and we get a channel called Animax, they kinda changed the named of Saiyuki Reload to Journey to the west. Neways, it is really cool! The storyline (though it is about a group travelling to whoop bad guys) is really "unique" in its own fashion. The dialogs and everything are sooo well made, i would put it in my list as the one of the best anime ever.