OtakuBoards

The quality of RPGs currently in The Arena

Balmon

[color=teal]It's clear what the situation here is. New members need time to develop their skills, but then again, I don't see why they don't take the time to that in the first place, I mean, they're simple guidelines that are so generously asked on the rules page before signing up.

However, while there are a lot of decent RPs around here, you have to let the fact sink in that for every good one, you'll often find about ten awful ones, many of which are the fanboyish/girlish type. I've seen a dozen Inuyasha and other anime related RPs around here that aren't very constructive, which are practically the opposition of those that members here choose to ignore simply because the concept is unheard of or unfamiliar.

I've made one RP since I signed up, one which was basically a translation of a school project I did a while back. It failed... miserably, with only one recruit and one potential recruit. I'm currently in Plumber Bros. Inc right now. I joined that for the sole reason that the concept was really interesting to me. But, had that RP been focused around anime characters who were taking on the job of plumbing, I don't think I would've given two, or three even, craps about it.

I won't call that hypocritical, because I obviously have no interest towards anime, I'm more into video games. It's more a case of incompetent members rather than new ones.[/color]

[quote name='Wingnut Ninja][color=teal']However, while there are a lot of decent RPs around here, you have to let the fact sink in that for every good one, you'll often find about ten awful ones, many of which are the fanboyish/girlish type. I've seen a dozen Inuyasha and other anime related RPs around here that aren't very constructive, which are practically the opposition of those that members here choose to ignore simply because the concept is unheard of or unfamiliar.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Wingnut here has said exactly what I was getting at, as much as we try to change it for ever one RPG like [B]Kill Adam[/B] that has phenomenal quality there will be fifty that are just plain awful. When people use examples such as [B]Kill Adam[/B] they have to take into context that Kill Adam (or any other RPG with similar quality) is still only [b]one[/b] RPG at any [B]one[/B] time as compared with the constant stream of poor quality RPGs that flood the Adventure Square at a given time.

I'm not saying that all newbies are horrible role-players that should be banned, I've looked over my own old stuff and that of several other people I know and I can say that with practice people can get a whole lot better. What I said in my previous post was that some of the worse newbies don't even look at stuff like Kill Adam or practice to get better. I mean Terra, Arcadia and Shy are only three people, there is no way they could influence every newbie in the Arena to try and imitate the more skilled role-players there-in.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][B]I've ranted about this in myOtaku a few weeks ago when the Underground does not exist yet. I finally got my head off of it because I learnt some things.

With regards to '1 decent RP' vs. '10 awful ones being compared with Kill Adam', it's really a matter of [U]choice[/U] for new or old members. Like someone said earlier in this thread, some members do settle for the less-complicated RPGs and a lot of those are new members. Kill Adam, hero and the like (made mostly by older members) can be pretty intimidating to some RPers especially to those who are starting out. Some of them, though their writing has developed, still settle for less simply because they enjoy it.

Kane described Kill Adam as having 'phenomenal' quality. Yes it does. That makes it even more intimidating and more perplexed that some enjoys reading it instead of joining it. Just imagine the Arena containing only or a lot of Kill Adam type of RPs. Where does that leave those new members who wants a simple Megaman or Inuyasha RP?

So as in the case of Wingnut Ninja and a lot of other members, it really is a matter of choice, he likes Mario (video game based RPs), some like Inuyasha (anime based RPs), while others like a different kind of stuff. I've seen long, well-thought, quality RPs that doesn't even make it in the Arena because it lacks recruits and probably because members don't like the idea at all. Some RPs, though simple, get recruits. Why? Because members enjoy it. So why fuss when people enjoy?

As for quality, I say don't join an RP if it's not your preferred quality, report a bad post to help the moderators and/or leave them to do their job of closing threads and reminding people of the rules of OB. It's their job anyway.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by [B]Shinmaru[/B]
[I]Also, I've been impressed with plenty of the newer members lately (I don't mod here, but I do frequent the area quite a bit, by the way). In Apartment Building C, I let in a couple of newer members over some more 'established' RPers, simply because they impressed me more, and I didn't regret it in the least (both are still contributing well to the RPG, which means I need to get my act in gear lol).[/I][/QUOTE]

I assume that I am one of those two new members being mentioned and I am very flattered. Thanx. :D

But back to the discussion. This was the very first message board that I ever joined. I didn't know quite what to expect but frankly, I was blown away. No other message board that I have visited or joined compares to the OB. The quality is astounding and even from my short time here I have seen the improvement from the encouragment to use HTML on RPGs.

I took advantage of the Arena not only to have fun but to improve my literary skills, maybe even to the point of it reflecting on my schoolwork. (I am part of the younger side of the age scale on the OB so I have room to improve.) In the end, the OB has pushed me to do better, and I'm probably not the only one.

I feel that over time the OB will become even better in the quality within its posts. With the introduction on the Arena Underground the opportunity for high-quality will rise. The Arena Underground should be encouraged to be used to post RPG ideas and reflect upon them.

I think the OB will always have those low-quality, spammy RPGs. That's a problem that will probably never fully go away. But if all the RPers pitch in and individually rise their efforts in good posts, not only setting examples for others but improving their own posts, I think the OB will continue to be succesful in the Arena.

I've been hearing this talk about "high-concept," "high-quality," "major blockbuster" RPGs, etc etc, and I think just by hyperfocusing on wanting someone to either write an epic post, start an epic RPG that's going to span numerous chapters, create an RPG that delves into the human psyche, is missing one rather large and rather important point here:

[i]Fun.[/i]

For about half of the RPGs I read on OB, I'm not reading to be taught; I'm not reading to explore the inner workings of the human mind. I'm not even reading them to think about anything substantial. I'm reading them to have fun, to be entertained.

Sometimes, the goofier the concept, the better it is. Shinmaru's Apartment Building C is a prime example of this. Apt. Building C, like its creator is just a goofball, and that's what makes it enjoyable: because it's just wacky.

Zidargh's Plumber Bros, Inc. is another such RPG that's just so quirky you can't help but smile and laugh.

Solo's Anime Stereotype High School is another.

"High art" isn't needed to craft a solid and fun RPG. Even James' Kill Adam, while dealing with some pretty mature themes and plot points, still has its fair share of wacky, in keeping with QT's style.

I know this is stating the obvious, but having fun, both writing the RPG and reading it is the most important thing here, apart from proper spelling and grammar.

[color=teal]I hope I didn't pass off as a complainer in my last post, but Siren is right. Regardless of your [strike]mindless bickering[/strike] comments (and mine), the goal of RPs is for whoever is in them to have fun.

I don't see the problem. If you don't like it, don't go there. Simple.

Also, Balmon, you shouldn't be worrying about these things since it's not really your jurisdiction... do what you want to do, and let other do what they want to do.

Chill out, you'll live longer.[/color] :cool:

I do agree with Siren - and I've already told him as much through our PMs - that it really is just for fun anyway.

And of course it's not in my jurisdiction, but what's the harm in promoting a discussion, Wingnut?

Phil

[color=teal]Sorry, I was referring to everyone when I said "mindless bickering", not just you.[/color]

[color=teal]EDIT: Forget it. Scrath "mindless bickering". You'll all probably hate me for it.[/color]

[color=teal]Furthermore, I didn't mean it an offensive way.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Perhaps I was being over-zealous in my previous statements, I totally agree that RPGs are meant to be about fun, hell if they weren't fun nobody would bother joining or making them. I totally agree with Siren (a new name PT) when he says that some of the "goofier" RPGs take a more light-hearted approach to RPGs but the quality is still maintained even then.

I understand that newbies need a bit of time at the beginning to have some fun in some RPGs akin to their level of quality to help them get into the swing of things. But the point I was trying to get across is that [u]some[/u], though by no mean all newbies keep to the same regimen of quality the entire time. Now I understand that maybe some of the better or more known role-players may be a little intimidating to see but they were exactly as newbies were at some time.

A while ago in an AIM conversation I had with James he told me that he "Still feels like a newbie sometimes" or something along those lines (please correct at your own discretion James), now if somebody like James says something like that then there's really no bid deal about being a great role-player.[/SIZE]

Hey, you didn't put in my RPGs. Mine are probaley the worst ones on this site. Those thing are horrible and no one has commented on my other RPG idea here in the Underground, so that means it suck like everything else I wright. You should have put one of my RPGs in this thread. It let me see what everyone thinks of it.

[quote name='Misenki']Hey, you didn't put in my RPGs. Mine are probaley the worst ones on this site. Those thing are horrible and no one has commented on my other RPG idea here in the Underground, so that means it suck like everything else I wright. You should have put one of my RPGs in this thread. It let me see what everyone thinks of it.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Don't say that about yourself Misenki, if you think your RPGs are horrible then you should go out and try to get better, but never put yourself down and call yourself crap. When I first started off here I thought my quality was so bad I'd never be able to role-play with the great on OB, but after looking at other people's RPG, just reading them I came up with my own ideas and improved, it just takes a little time and effort and you'll see that you're not nearly as bad as you think.[/SIZE]

[color=green]I'd just like to point out that the post quality in the Arena, for as long as I've been here, has been slowly and steadily rising. While at times it seems that grammar and spelling have forsaken this section of the forums, in fact there is a balance between the "low quality" and the well thought out, "high quality" RPGs.

It's true that some members may not be the best writers, perhaps so much so that many cringe to read their posts, but they [i]will[/i] learn. Through the examples set by older, more mature members who put more time and effort into their stories, they'll learn.

When I first joined Otakuboards I created some RPGs and posted a bunch of things that, in retrospect, I wouldn?t even bother reading. Some of my posts lacked spell check and had too many smilies.

Yet, through reading and emulating others who seemed to know what they were doing, I was able to ultimately become a better writer. The practice that I got on Otakuboards arguably helped me to become a better writer as much as school did.

So I'd ask that those who feel disheartened sometimes have patience and understanding towards those whose writing skills are still developing. It's that patience and friendly attitude that make's Otakuboards special.[/color]