OtakuBoards

Angel Sanctuary

pariettilion

I picked up the first book of Angel sanctuary and I loved it! The art is awesome and I love the plot, it's a little bit confuzing but still very cool. Did anyone else read this/know about it? What did u think?

Like I said, the art is awesome:
[img]http://ee.1asphost.com/parietti/17.jpg[/img]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ooo...[B]Angel Sanctuary[/B] is a title that I am currently collecting.

Yes, the artwork in this series is quite nice.

I love Kaori Yuki ^^

But I think that the main reason as to why I enjoy this series is because it's SOO screwed up. I mean, the story is good, but it's not your typical jolly wolly adventure through the park. It's dark and it's serious...and a bit messed up--which serves as a good break to all the things that I've been reading about. Definitely something different...and dark and filled with taboo [incest, religion, homosexuality]. Yep. Good stuff *^^*

I can't wait until volume 2 comes out...which should be like now!!!

As for the plot, don't worry, it'll continually unfold as we work our way through the 20+ volumes ^^;

[/COLOR]

I've loved this series from way back. It's great to see it coming out in English. The are is gorgeous and the story is nice and gothic and odd. I can't wait to get to the later vols when I characters I really love are introduced, like Mikael and Raphael.

[COLOR=DARKSLATEBLUE]I haven't read the manga myself but I have watched the anime...or at least some of it...I don't know if it has more or not. I really enjoyed the anime and the artwork was still very well done. I might try and get the mangas for myself then if its so good^^[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ninja_faerie
[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1]Angel Sanctuary is amazing. I read the manga a couple of years ago in Spanish. I feel in love with the storyline, and I completely related with Kira Sakuya's character. And even though there are a LOT of controversial topics in Angel Sanctuary, its still an amazing piece of work. Too bad it was only made into and OVA and not an anime series. And if you like this title, check out Boys Next Door and Count Cain, which is also by Kaori Yuki. ^_^

-Faerie[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='SilverCyclone']I was considering reading it for awhile, and started on the first book. Unfortunately, the whole brother sister thing put me off. [/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Yes. I guess you can say that it's not a very common theme. BUT keep in mind that it's only one of the MANY taboo themes in this series.

I, myself, am thoroughly enjoying this series very much. It's cleary different than everything else I've been reading. It's something dramatic, dark, and refreshing.

I finished reading the second volume--which was good! I enjoyed meeting the two new characters ^^ It's quite sad that those two characters weren't in the OVA. Ah well.

I can't wait for more Angel Sanctuary!
[/COLOR]

[color=crimson][size=1]I saw the Angel Sanctuary OVA series a couple of years ago and have been anxiously awaiting for the manga to be brought over the US since then, since when I downloaded some of it, I could only look at the pictures and couldn't read a thing. The series has a lot of interesting themes, especially everything in the Biblical sense. I love how all the characters are just absolutely beautiful, like the character of Lucifer. And I also LOVE how Sara and Setsuna fall in love with one another, despite being brother and sister. Yes, it's scary, but it's so freaking romantic at the same time. In the anime, they really left you hanging, so I can't wait to pick up the manga and continue on with the storyline.[/color][/size]

I've read the first two books of the manga, and I must say that the storyline and plot is pretty interesting. Also, all the different, skewed relationships between characters are fun to follow, although at times I get a bit annoyed. As for the artwork...well, I like some of it, but at times I dislike the variations. What I mean is that I don't feel that the same quality is kept throughout; it differs sometimes, and is quite irritating. But overall, I find it an interesting series to read, and when the art is good, it's absolutely excellent.

I have seen bits and bobs- nothing substancial. I love the taboo and such. The Christian mythology is what intruiged me- the only original thing is the storyline! I've got a book all about Christian mythology, and it's fascinating.

I have read loads of manga by Yuki Kaori- Bloodhound (very good), Boys Next Door (very very good with yaoi on top), Kaine (wow- my favourite), Cruel Fairytales (twisted, twisted, twisted) and some of Gravel Kingdom (fantasy like- very unlike her and I wasn't very engaged but it's good), all of which I have enjoyed thoroughly.

The art is also pretty good, although I prefer Kouyu Shurei. They do Alichino, which is another beautiful manga and can be found fully scanlated at [url]http://www.sakura-crisis.net[/url].

[quote name='Queen Asuka][color=crimson][size=1] and have been anxiously awaiting for the manga to be brought over the US since then[/color'][/size][/quote]
Huh? It's been a while since it has been translated by fans... I've read it... Lemme guess.. A year ago... Think it was translated even sooner...

• 2 months later...
I picked up Angel Sancutary the other day and jumped right into it the moment I arrived home.

I do admit that the Taboos are quite........interesting. Kaori Yuki mentioned somewhere in the book that incest didn't bother her and she felt like writting it because she doesn't have a brother, which makes perfect sense I suppose...

The story line was pretty fascinating as well, it's not offten that you get to see christian mythology picked apart in a manga, which is a breath of fresh air I think.

I'd have to say though, Angel Sanctuary is definitey on its own level, and if you haven't read it yet then go buy it!

• 3 months later...
[color=indigo][size=1]Well, I think I may have only posted in here maybe twice. So, just to give myself something to do, I have decided to post here today.

I want to know how you all feel about this manga [Angel Sanctuary]. As some of you might know, I'm practically obsessed with this manga. What is it about Angel Sanctuary that fascinates me so?

Firstly, I love the art. Kaori Yuki's style is so detailed, yet not overly dramatic. The emotion she catches in the character's eyes is majestic and realistic. As in any manga, Yuki does add her little "playful" emotions of the characters. But unlike any manga I've read so far, her sense of "playfulness" is not overbearing on the story, making the story seem childish and immature. Just beautiful, and a style that I am struggling to adopt.

Secondly, the storyline is wonderful and so emotional. The way Yuki captures the feelings and hightened emotions, stress and climaxes, and depression and helplessness is unbelievable. Her story about two characters embarking on forbidden love, and protecting that love no matter the consequences, is a bold step in any language. Not only does she struggle with that story, she also has thrown in another complication. One of the character's (Setsuna) is a reincarnation of a rebel angel. So, there is a whole world for Setsuna to deal with, other than his un-natural love affair.

For this, I really have to hand it to Yuki. Carrying out two storylines in one manga is amazing.

I'm only on the fourth volume for English (considering vol.4 was just released in the US). And I just wanted to hear anyone who's read this manga, what your thoughts on it are, and why you like it so much.[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmmm...I really can't top that detail...><' To be honest, I don't like the manga as much as I do the anime. It changes little. Usually going from a comic to a TV episode, DOES make it better, same story fer AS. Ok, as fer why I like it...storyline is cool, from what I've seen of it. And I like Setsuna, and...I wanna say...Kyo. I haven't seen it in a little while, and I have a horrible memory, anyway!! ^^' I realize you were trying ta get feedback on the manga, not the anime (I think...) so I hope my post was KINDA what ya were looking for...Anyway, Talk to ya later!!
--Saiyuki Chick

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Well, to just jump off-topic momentarily, I must say that if Angel Sanctuary was released any earlier than it was in the US, it would not have been as welcomed, as your mention of the love affair points out.

To be honest, I have only seen the Angel Sanctuary OVA, which I heard was only the first volume (geez, it really ends at a cliffhanger!). I didn't know the manga was being released in the US, so I'm glad you told me. I'll be sure to check it out and see where this whole fiasco goes.

I personally saw the two dilemma's you mentioned as one thing: [SPOILER]God's disapproval of Setsuna's love and how he must handle it.[/SPOILER] On the other hand, I haven't seen/read as much as you, so I could be absolutely wrong.

They really handle the love affair well. You can't help but get pulled in and feel sympathetic, only to have your conscience slap you in the face. In the back of your mind, the whole situation bothers you. I was indeed impressed. Ultimately, though (and again, this is by just seeing the small fraction of the story the OVA conveys), I didn't really side with Setsuna, and I didn't sympathize with him. Alright, I do kind of sympathize with him: [SPOILER]what a shame it would be to have a girl that hot to be your sister[/SPOILER]!

My only gripe is the concept of God. Where did the creator's concept of God come from? There are a few attributes of God that the creator seems to forget about, and, at the same time, assumes everyone knows what/who God is.

I look forward to finally seeing what happens next. Oh, and OAV ends where [SPOILER]Setsuna stabs himself to enter Hades and retrieve his bride to be[/SPOILER].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='saiyuki chick']To be honest, I don't like the manga as much as I do the anime. It changes little. Usually going from a comic to a TV episode, DOES make it better, same story fer AS.[/quote]

[color=darkslateblue]I'm going to disagree with you on this. The anime isn't all that great. It skips and leaves out so much detail. Transition from manga to anime is way different for Angel Sanctuary. Gaps are left, details lost, information lackage. If you first watch the anime (like I did) then read the manga, you can see [b]major[/b] changes. So, going from comic to TV episode did not sway in the favor here. I was highly disappointed with the anime. Though, I would love to own all of the episodes.

Yes, Azure, the manga is up to the fifth volume in the US (which I now have ^_^ whee!) I have yet to read the fifth, but the fourth volume is the main transition. The books are still called [i]Angel Sanctuary[/i], but now they are now referred to as "Angel Sanctuary: Books of Hades"...how absolutely wonderful!! *squees*

I can't wait to read it! I just have to find time T_T...[/color]

Oh, I'm currently reading this. I've only had the time to read up to volume three so far, but it's been pretty good. I must say I've been enjoying it, and it's changed my views on incest ... ^^;;.

I'll have to disagree a bit on the art - Yuki's style is a bit too detailed for me. I get the feeling he overdoes the wrinkles on clothing sometimes and there are a few errors in the art that a picky person as myself can't ignore. Despite all this, I still find myself very into the plot.

--BLUE

[color=darkslateblue]Yuki, I strongly believe, is a female ^_^ But, that's easy to mistake. (Read the little messages that she writes in the chapters)

Her art is beautiful and very detailed. It just depends on the reader to make the judgment. Some people like the detailed manga, some like the chibi mangas. So, I won't shun you ^_^. I do like the less detailed manga's like Negima! and Chobits. So, I am won't be biased on style's of manga.[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Angel Sanctuary is among my favorite manga series. I've seen the OVA a few years ago, and felt that it left off at a horrid cliffhanger. Aside from the beautiful artwork, I think that the main force that drew me into this series was that the story wasn't 'lite and fluffy.'

During the time when I first picked up the manga,I was already searching for a dramatic series with a touch of darkness. Yep, this story contains a LOT of emotions and some taboo subjects.

Good stuff, all around. Speaking of which, I need to go to the store to pick up the fifth volume ^^;;[/COLOR]

What's funny is that I [i]love[/i] pretty much every single other manga Kaori Yuki has created (her shounen-ai one-shots are amazing!), but I've never been able to get excited about Angel Sanctuary. Maybe I'll buy the first few volumes once Koi Kaze starts coming out on DVD and have myself a little private incest-fest. XD

More seriously, I suppose I have no choice but to eventually start purchasing and reading Angel Sanctuary--there are so many other Kaori Yuki titles that deserve a decent North American release, and perhaps they'll be licensed more quickly if Angel Sanctuary sells well.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1]Maybe I'll buy the first few volumes once Koi Kaze starts coming out on DVD and have myself a little private incest-fest. XD[/QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Why would you have any kind of fest with something you dislike?! [QUOTE=Dagger IX1']i suppose I have no choice but to eventually start purchasing and reading Angel Sanctuary--[/quote]You are confusing the hell out of me. If you don't like it, why buy it?! You, one person, don't have to inconvenience yourself in the hopes that one day the stuff you like will come out. Really, it's not going to make a difference on what comes out and what doesn't.

I know I'm missing something that you didn't state clear enough, so that's why I'm asking, because you aren't the type to buy like that (are you? O_o).

To jump off-topic even further: I really hope no anime fan makes purchases like this. Don't buy something that sucks just because it's an anime/manga. Please.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Oh, don't get me wrong. Koi Kaze is one of my absolute favorite recent anime, actually. It's just that I haven't made it past the first few chapters of Angel Sanctuary. I definitely want to read more, both to support Kaori Yuki and because I have plenty of faith in her ability as a writer and an artist. If it starts slowly, so be it. There are other manga by her (most notably Count Cain) that I felt somewhat apathetic about at first but eventually came to love. The thing is, it's ironic and even vaguely silly that I praise Kaori Yuki to the high heavens without having read what is easily her most popular and acclaimed work.

I certainly didn't dislike what I saw of Angel Sanctuary (I think the first time I encountered it was in a Viz manga sampler). I read the excerpt, thought "Hm, that's kind of cool," and made a mental note to pick up volume 1. I remember re-reading it a couple of times when I ran out of other manga, but still kept forgetting to continue the series. This wouldn't be a case of me forcing myself to spend money on something I found distasteful.

By the by, I'd still love to talk about Naruto and Bleach and all that jazz. Would you like to make the thread, or shall I? :)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1][size=1]I certainly didn't dislike what I saw of Angel Sanctuary (I think the first time I encountered it was in a Viz manga sampler). I read the excerpt, thought "Hm, that's kind of cool," and made a mental note to pick up volume 1. I remember re-reading it a couple of times when I ran out of other manga, but still kept forgetting to continue the series. This wouldn't be a case of me forcing myself to spend money on something I found distasteful.[/size][/QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Ok, see, that makes more sense than this statement, which is why I was confused.[QUOTE=Dagger IX1][size=1']What's funny is that I love pretty much every single other manga Kaori Yuki has created (her shounen-ai one-shots are amazing!), but I've never been able to get excited about Angel Sanctuary.[/size][/quote]It sounded like you never enjoyed it. *shrugs*

Anyway, I was at Barnes & Nobles in Hoboken the other day (the one on Washington Street). They just got a manga section and lo-and-behold, Angel Sanctuary volumes 1 and 2 were there for sale. Unfortunately, I used up all my money on celebrating the end of exams.

I'm not bringing this up to boast about my manga adventures, but the fact that something like Angel Sanctuary was available in a place like Barnes & Nobles made me wonder. Annie, is Angel Sanctuary pretty "disturbing" in your opinion? You know, something that even adults could be shocked at?

I'm asking because Barnes & Nobles had Angel Sanctuary and Chrono Crusade in the same section. B&N has an adult section, so I was wondering if it's tame enough to be sitting alongside other, less controversial manga since it wasn't placed separately. From what I've seen from the OAV, while there wasn't anything that crossed the line blatantly, it really looked like Angel Sanctuary was going in that direction. [quote name='Dagger IX1][size=1']By the by, I'd still love to talk about Naruto and Bleach and all that jazz. Would you like to make the thread, or shall I? :)[/quote]o_O Geez, what's the hurry all about?! Everytime I turn around...

Anyway, apart from my connection dying while the post was being uploaded (and hence everything I wrote was lost), the problem is that I don't know where the thread should go. There's the Bleach thread, but again, I don't want to sour the discussion there. The Naruto thread is dead and too long, IMO. I would prefer to have a big "Naruto & Bleach" thread separately, but I don't know if that's allowed. *shrugs*

You're the mod, Dagger, so you know better where the discussion should be handled, so either direct me by PM, or initiate it.

("by the by" = heh, to steal a page from Sara)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]
I'm asking because Barnes & Nobles had Angel Sanctuary and Chrono Crusade in the same section. B&N has an adult section, so I was wondering if it's tame enough to be sitting alongside other, less controversial manga since it wasn't placed separately. From what I've seen from the OAV, while there wasn't anything that crossed the line blatantly, it really looked like Angel Sanctuary was going in that direction.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Angel Sanctuary is only controversial in terms of themes like incest, homosexuality, and religion. Other than that, it's pretty much an adventurous and dramatic story about a teenage boy's love. There are no explicit graphic scenes of sexuality and violence -- so it really isn't THAT bad ^^;; But then again, I'm only at volume 4 out of a total of 20+ volumes. [/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue]Oh my, I didn't know there were that many volumes. I am greatly anticipated to see the future volumes.

[quote name='AzureWolf][color=blue']....Annie, is Angel Sanctuary pretty "disturbing" in your opinion? You know, something that even adults could be shocked at?[/color][/quote]

The society of the US these days (and I'm mainly referring to groups such as Mothers of America or whatever organizations are out there) find it highly disturbing because of the incest and homosexuality. Religious groups shun this manga for obvious reasons ^_^ So to say that the manga is disturbing or shocking is a resounding "yes" for most US society. These reasons being why the anime wasn't released on American television...well, at least not after the first three episodes ^_^

But in my opinion, I do not find Angel Sanctuary disturbing. I find it shocking at times; only because Yuki's balance within the story is awesome..and it blows my mind!
[/color]