OtakuBoards

Do have any kind of phobia?

gaarasgirl90

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm just intrested to hear of any kinds of phobias you have. Sokme phobias are weirder than others. I have one of the rare few and I'll tell you even though it's retarded because I highly doubt I will ever meet you anywhere but on otaku. It's called eisoptrophobia. It means fear of mirrors or seeing oneself in a mirror. Now I'm only a little bit eisoptrophobic. I don't know why but I am. Also this fear is weirder. I dont know if there is a scientific name for it but for some reason iceburgs creep me out. Maybe it is their emmence size and you only see 10% of it because the rest of it is like some huge monster hidden below your view. Iceburgs just make my hart race. I wonder if it's because of Titanic..the movie ay have something to do with it... :animeknow [/COLOR]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know which scientific name thingy my phobia is called, but I'm very much afraid of dolls.
When I was little, my sister used to have a doll that yelled: 'MAMA!' all the time, and for whatever stupid reason, I feared that doll like it was the devil itself.
Ever since I'm having trouble being in one room with a wooden doll, looking at me.. freaks me out..
And then those Chucky movie's..
Blegh!

-Sanada

[color=#9933ff]Hey, at least you're not homophobic. That's an abused phobia if you ask me. Most people aren't homophobic, just intolerant. I think there really are people out there who are homophobic (in a psychologial disorder way), and if you're not, it's not nice to claim you are. Meh. >___>

I don't really have to many strange fears, but I have a problem with being on the edge of something at a high height. For instance, when I'm in the mall on the second floor, I can't be near the railing because I'm afraid I'm going to fall over. If I'm high up in a glass building, I either don't look at the stuff below, or stay away from the glass. I get afraid that someone will push me through the glass becausee I'm skinny. V_V

Also, I can't step on storm drains (both of them make my heart race). I think it has something to do with my size. I'm really REALLY skinny (I'm healthy and I only weigh 85 lbs!) , and I'm afraid that I can either be pushed over the edges of the railing and fall down (because of my weight), or that I'll slip into the little holes in the storm drain (or some of them have that big opening where I think my head will fit through), and I'll get stuck down there. I always walk around them, and stick to the inside edge when I'm at a mall.

I hate the noice the vacuum cleaner makes, but I don't think that's a phobia...[/color]

[quote name='Sanada']I'm very much afraid of dolls.[/quote]
Oh Sanada, my friend's mom has the ultimate doll for you to be afraid of. I am not afraid of dolls but this one I have made an exception for. This doll gives me nightmares and I run past it since it freaks me out. If you stand it up it is about 5 feet tall. Has long arms AND looks like a clown. The arms and legs are really long, they look like they will reach out and grab you. It sits in their foyer somewhat behind a door. So you walk in the room and when you go to shut the door the clown is sitting in a chair behind the door. I just expect it to jump up and kill me. Either that or I will see it sitting there, look away and when I look back it will be gone. Hiding some place waiting to attack. Creepy, just plain creepy.
[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Panda_chan_/misc/cloughdoll.jpg[/IMG]
This thing is nightmare fuel.[/center]

Now that I have worked on that new phobia for all of you to deal with, my phobia is that of guinea pigs. I really don't like guinea pigs. I hate the way they look so calm inside of their cage and then when you reach in to pick one up they freak out! In a flurry of sawdust and fur they scurry quickly over to the other side of the cage. They make that "veep, veep, veep" noise too. I know they do that to taunt me! Looking at me with those evil red eyes...waiting for me to touch them. Darn you creepy little rodents!! No matter how much I tried to work with guinea pigs while at the vet clinic I could never pick one up. I can hold one if handed to me, but I still can't pick one up on my own. Everytime they freak out I freak out. I would rather work with mean snakes and angry lizards than a guinea pig.
[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Panda_chan_/misc/gpig.jpg[/IMG]
They're fixin' to loose a finger![/center]

I am fine with heights, snakes, spiders.....but no way are you going to get me to cuddle with a guinea pig.

[QUOTE=Panda]Oh Sanada, my friend's mom has the ultimate doll for you to be afraid of. I am not afraid of dolls but this one I have made an exception for. This doll gives me nightmares and I run past it since it freaks me out. If you stand it up it is about 5 feet tall. Has long arms AND looks like a clown. The arms and legs are really long, they look like they will reach out and grab you. It sits in their foyer somewhat behind a door. So you walk in the room and when you go to shut the door the clown is sitting in a chair behind the door. I just expect it to jump up and kill me. Either that or I will see it sitting there, look away and when I look back it will be gone. Hiding some place waiting to attack. Creepy, just plain creepy.
[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Panda_chan_/misc/cloughdoll.jpg[/IMG]
This thing is nightmare fuel.[/center]

Now that I have worked on that new phobia for all of you to deal with, my phobia is that of guinea pigs. I really don't like guinea pigs. I hate the way they look so calm inside of their cage and then when you reach in to pick one up they freak out! In a flurry of sawdust and fur they scurry quickly over to the other side of the cage. They make that "veep, veep, veep" noise too. I know they do that to taunt me! Looking at me with those evil red eyes...waiting for me to touch them. Darn you creepy little rodents!! No matter how much I tried to work with guinea pigs while at the vet clinic I could never pick one up. I can hold one if handed to me, but I still can't pick one up on my own. Everytime they freak out I freak out. I would rather work with mean snakes and angry lizards than a guinea pig.
[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Panda_chan_/misc/gpig.jpg[/IMG]
They're fixin' to loose a finger![/center]

I am fine with heights, snakes, spiders.....but no way are you going to get me to cuddle with a guinea pig.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Panda, I'll now remain traumatized the rest of my live, living in fear of someday meeting that horrible excuse for a toy
:animedepr
That's the most. scary. looking. doll. EVER!

Hey, there is an evil guinea pig picture too. I figured if I was going to post that evil doll picture I would post an evil guinea pig picture. It's only fair after all. Creepy, creepy, CREEPY! If I end up murdered, you know it was the doll that did it!

I did think of another semi-phobia I have. I am a bit afraid of water. When I was little I almost drowned so I am very careful when swimming. I never swim alone and I always keep an eye on where the edge of the pool is. You will never find me just hanging out in the middle of the deep end of a swimming pool. I very rarely use a diving board either since jumping into the pool off a diving board will send you fairly far down into the pool. That brings back a very bad memory of being at the bottom of the swimming pool drowning. Nope, don't like water. I would much rather be climbing rocks than swimming. Heights > Water.

[COLOR=Indigo]I have this insane phobia of needles. Mentioning them freaks me right out, i can't watch anything related to doctors or needles, i even hate tattoos. My mom seems to get a kick out of taking me to the doctor and then telling me on the way that there's a needle involved. I will literally try to claw my way out of the car...^^;;

Im also scared of 18-wheelers. But that kinda my own fault. I was biking really late one night and took a wrong turn and ended up on a highway going to wrong way. It was like a wall of 18-wheelers coming at me.

When you think about there are two types of phobias: Ones you know what caused them and ones you don't. I was born with a fear of needles, i aquired a fear of 18-wheelers.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Roxie, me too. At malls, I always stay away from the edges on the second floor. I can't do the Sky Buckets at Six Flags, and I almost can't do rollercoasters. It's the falling I'm afraid of. Standing on Stone Mountain is fine - as long as I am in the middle of a large group, and not on a slanted part.

I have a near phobia of heights, and a near phobia of spiders. Spiders reallly, really scare me. I guess I could say it is a phobia, but not as bad as someone I know. You say the word spider and it scares her. I'm almost that way; I can say spiders, but I can't think about them.

XD Gah! Killer dolls! Bad Chucky ghost stories...[/size]

I'm pretty clausatiphobic (afraid of huge crowds). Mines not very serious, I usually can't breath when surrounded by people and I'm also scared of getting trampled. I can also be scared of cats in the dark, yeah very weird, unless it's mine. Strange since I really love cats but for some reason, if I see on at night I have to stay indoors because I'm afraid it will attack me. :animeblus

[COLOR=DarkRed]I did a report on phobias in health class last year, so i know a good amount about phobias...

It was then that i found out that i actually have what is called social phobia. Now that isnt quite what it sounds like (i'm not isolated in home or anything wierd like that). In my case, i specifically would rather go to great lengths to avoid talking to people i dont know (i even feel uncomfortable saying hi to people when i walk my dogs...). That's why i like chating/posting online... it doesn't require person to person communication, though i still get to communicate. That's not to say, however, that i dont talk to people. I'm still pretty sociable... :animeblus

Another, more extreme case of it that i have is the fact that i absolutely refuse to use a public bathroom, unless i really, REALLY have to go... Otherwise i'll hold it until i get home, or someone's house. :animestun

Kinda wierd, but that's what a phobia is, a strong, irrational fear. Irrational being the key word there...

In some of the cases that people posted earlier, it isn't exactly a phobia to avoid heights, that's just a common fear among many people. If it were a phobia, you probably wouldn't even go on the second floor of a mall, or over a bridge for that matter...[/COLOR]

Hey I'm with you there on the public bathroom thing, I can't stand to go in them unless it's an emergency or something. Most are so dirty and down right gross! :sick: I also can't stand anything that's really dirty, but I'm not a germaphobe, I just don't like to be near things that are molding or have a lot of dirt on them.

[quote name='Panda']Oh Sanada, my friend's mom has the ultimate doll for you to be afraid of. I am not afraid of dolls but this one I have made an exception for. This doll gives me nightmares and I run past it since it freaks me out. If you stand it up it is about 5 feet tall. Has long arms AND looks like a clown. The arms and legs are really long, they look like they will reach out and grab you. It sits in their foyer somewhat behind a door. So you walk in the room and when you go to shut the door the clown is sitting in a chair behind the door. I just expect it to jump up and kill me. Either that or I will see it sitting there, look away and when I look back it will be gone. Hiding some place waiting to attack. Creepy, just plain creepy.[/quote]

I swear that sounds just like the doll from poltergiests! ;)

[QUOTE=Panda]
They're fixin' to loose a finger![/center][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][i]
I love saying the word Guinea Pig for some reason. Anyways, I once knew someone who was scared of a hamster so its pretty common. I always did think they made some pretty wierd noises......

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]
I hate the noice the vacuum cleaner makes, but I don't think that's a phobia...[/color][/QUOTE]
Maybe It is because I hate that noise as well.

Anyways back on topic, Sure I have alot of phobias, who doesn't? I think it'd be impossible if you were not afraid of something. Some common fears I have are heights and spiders. I can't stand being up really high even in ferris wheels (although I will go on one I just cant look down) and spiders just give me the creeps! I also hate clowns, cause I saw a movie when I was little about an evil clown, and well they just always kinda creeped me out with their cheerfulness. Another thing I hate that is silly is, well, goats. I hated petting zoo's and having to go in and see the goats, they would always try to head-butt me and ever since I just don't like them. I don't mind baby goats but large ones...just..ugh. Most of my friends find it pretty hilarious but I really dislike them. [/SIZE][/i][/FONT]

Ah phobias... Well not sure of the names for most of them but one I know I have is Aracniphobia. I apologise if I spelled that wrong by the way. I cant look at spiders without freaking out. If I see one in my room I will back as far away as I possibly can. Then normaly I would go get my father to kill it... Im a coward for running to daddy I guess but hey I cant stand the spiders. I cant even watch them on tv without wanting to switch the channel.

Another thing I am afraid of is water. When I was very young me and two of my sisters were running in the water at the beach while our parents watched. Well we were running along chasing the waves and then running from them... I was extreamly young and not very good at the running in wet sand thing so I tripped. When I hit the sand I let go of my prized barbie doll, (At the time I liked dolls but them later I grew to prefer more guy stuff but anyways...) The wave caught me and started rolling me... By this time I had no idea which direction I was going and my two sisters were running along side of me laughing. They thought I was playing even after hearing me scream. I got a glance from my rolling wet ride of doom to see the wave was now sucking me out to sea. My mother got there and stopped me and ever since I have been afraid of evry large bodies of water. Showers, glasses of water, pools, they dont frighten me because they are either not moving or clear. Lakes, oceans, and rivers on the other hand I wont even touch.

Now there is one more fear I have. That is the fear of Silence. I am not sure if that is even a real fear but still silence... I cant stand it. My dad goes to work at 3 in the afternoon and does not come home till eleven at night. So all of that time I spend at home alone. I dislike most tv shows and radio bugs me. So when I am sitting there along and there is silence I start to constantly talk to myself. I literally have a conversation with myself or my dog to make some type of noise. And before any of you say it... No I dont leave the house to go hang out with friends. For one thing I have no friends to go hang out with, and two... I fear the outside world. I mean I will go out and do things yes but not if I dont have to.

Note: My sisters got me to think that my doll had floated all the way to Japan. My parents said fish ate it. I had a crule family.

[color=navy]The thing I'm most afraid of is needles. I hate needles of any kind, which has resulted from lots of bad experiences with them. I used to hate getting my booster shots during Primary School, I would cry so loudly, but my parents always made me get them.

The other thing is I'm afraid of dangerous animals (which is practically all of them) because I've been scratched, bit and all that and it hurts, so I gained a phobia of them.[/color]

I hate..
needles
spiders
enclosed spaces
heights

[COLOR=DarkRed]Edit: Please put more effort into your response. Explaining why you fear the things you do and/or perhaps an example of your experience with your phobia would be good. Just listing items is boarderline spam. Feel free to edit this response and add in more information. Thanks! -Panda[/COLOR]

I hate bees and hornets. A LOT! I suppose it is a phobia. I even got stung by a bee last year (twas the first time in my life that I had been stung by one too), but I'm still afraid of them. When I told my brother and sister about it, they just laughed and said, "Are you serious??"

It doesn't make sense, really. I mean, the whole reason why I was scared of them was because I didn't want to get stung. But now... I dunno.

I don't know if there is a name for it but I'm afraid of Lightening and Thunder even though I think storms are pretty to watch. I think it started when I was seven years old. My Dad took us offroading in the mountains and on the way down a storm started. I remember seeing lightening as it hit ground farther down the path. Plus it was close to the truck we were in. When you are that close to a lightening strick you literally feel a wave of air hit you due to the air being superheated by the lightening. And the thunder was very loud. I remember feeling really freaked out. So I think my fear stems from that incident.

[b]I really don't know if it's a phobia or not-- but I really despise people in those costume thingies--like Chuck-E-Cheese. *shudder* They totally creep me out.[/b]

[b]Being on the ice-- when the lake/ river, etc... freezes over. It's especially terrifying if there's moving water under it (like a river).[/b]

[b]The combination of machinery and water, such as a riverboat paddle or a hydroelectric dam.[/b]

[b]I'm definitely claustrophobic-- and there's a good reason behind that one. In case you missed it, look it up on the "Survival Stories" thread.[/b]

[b]That's all that I can think of for now... but I'll probably come back and edit more in, since I'm sure I forgot something (Once again--I've been "awake" for days on end...)[/b]

I, too, am afraid of dolls. But only a few models, the ones that blink and the ones that talk and move around by themselves. When I was little, I had the misfortune of watching Chucky. After a few weeks I was okay with dolls again. Then I watched the X-Files. The episode where possesed dolls had been dumped in a lake or something and had been fished up. A little girl was given one as a gift by her dad, and the doll killed him and took the mother and the girl as hostiges. When the doll wouldn't let the mother commit suicide to escape it's clutches, I completely freaked out. I used to have quite a number of blinking dolls, and I loved them to death. After that show, I couldn't touch them and they got placed in a closet for years. Last year, I found them again. I was so scared I started to cry and kicked them outside to the trash cans. I kinda wish I had burned them in the drive way. lol, irrational fear to the max.

This is prolly the only thing I'm terrified of. I don't have a prob with spiders, I can pick them up and place them outside with no stress. Needles don't bother me, lol, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the body mods. Water isn't really bad. Lakes and oceans kinda freak me out, but that's cus there are slimy things living in there that I don't want to touch me. Aside from the loud noise lightning and thunder produce, I rather like them. heh.

Icyeyes

I'm afraid of... Pretty much everything. Be it the dark, the damnable sound ther house makes at night, or the gremlins who *ahem* steal my parents money. I'm afraid of dolls... I mean, comon, who isn't? Too many damn movies where theres a doll there one second then gone the next... Bloody hell. Oh, and I'm afraid of people from the UK (No offense) I don't really know how to explain this, except that there's this kid who goes to my school, he came about three years ago, and has since become my only mental rival. I hate him so much... Since then, whenever I hear a British accent i just creep out and get angry. (Partly because of ym anger problems) Oh, and I'm afraid of the gathering darkness. And clowns. Damn clowns...

[color=indigo]I think I'd be lying if I said I had any phobias. I was always under the impression that a phobia referred to a crazy fear that kept you from living/functioning normally--"An abnormal and irrational fear or dread which is caused by a particular object or circumstance." (Quote taken from the OED, online version.) "Horror" is a good word.

I'm afraid of drowning--very much so. I can't swim, and when I was little, I was [i]petrified[/i] every time we'd drive over a bridge over water. Every single time, I was convinced that the bridge woudl collapse, we would fall, and I would die. I would hold my breath, close my eyes, and [i]clench[/i] myself each time we went over a river...it was pretty bad, heh. So maybe at one time, I had a phobia about going over bridges. Yeah, I think that would qualify. Now, though, I walk across the Mississippi River every day--score one for outgrowing childhood fears!

So I was saying, before I got sidetracked, is that I'm scared of drowning. This seems pretty rational to me, though, so it's not a phobia. I'm just not a big fan of not being able to breathe....I still love the water, and I love playing and splashing around in it. I just keep an eye out to make sure I know where I am and that I don't get too far out. (Rather like Panda said.)

I hate rollercoasters...but I'm not afraid of them. I just don't [i]like[/i] them--I find them very unpleasant. The anticipation of going up, and up, and up is something I find unnerving about almost [i]any[/i] amusement park ride.

I'm actually fine with heights--Been to the CN tower, walked around on the see-through floor; did the tourist bit at the Eiffel Tower when I was in Paris--but I guess getting up there (and coming back down) is something I could do without. Taking the [url=http://www.pilatus.ch/content,38,r,_Ez.html] train up Mount Pilatus[/url] was one of the more nervewracking experiences of my young life--I had a blast at the top of the mountain, but getting there was hell in a bucket. Don't even get me started on the ride back down. :p[/color]

Guest Crimson Spider
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Not really, but it's a cool word.

Ever since I got fried once, and nearly fried again, I have always been a little... shall I say.... cautious around light sockets and other electrical things. Isn't like I can't plug them in or anything, it just hangs on the back of my consious each time I do something.

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=DarkRed]I am deathly afraid of needles. However, I'm fine with other people getting needles, I can see needles and it's ok, and I've even given shots! (To our puppies...) But when it comes to me, I freak out... When I got my blood taken for tests (My first time no less) My mom held my head away so I wouldn't look and stood in front of my legs so I wouldn't kick anyone, one lady was holding my arm, and another was taking the blood. I even started crying and everything! The other people getting blood taken were giving me strange looks. :animeswea

I'm also very much afraid of bugs. Any of them. Even the harmless ones! I was once "attacked" by a butterfly! Well, the thing is, when I was little I was weird and liked spandex pants... :animeshy: But that's not the point, but my pants had a floral pattern and a butterfly though they were real flowers. Bees are the worst part. When I see a bee, I run the other way. That's one of the bad things about summer... :animeangr

I also kind of freak out on a swing. When I was little, my dad would push me really high on our swing in the backyard, but I would be a little freaked out because I'd be afraid to fall...

I'm kind of freaked out by strange dogs that I don't know. That's because my mom was attacked by a rottweiler, so I get freaked then.

I guess I'm pretty messed up...[/COLOR][/FONT]