OtakuBoards

Anime dreams/ambitions

Silent Whispers

Hello TwoMoons again and let me tell you a story....
ever since i was a little girl and when i saw my first anime i have wanted
to become a voice actress for ADV Films ever since.... :animesmil
well i have not had much success with my dream but one day i hope
i can grasp it and become one of the largest names in ADV Films...
What are your anime dreams(if you have any)
Even if my dream saound silly...who knows what can happen,
until then i will keep reaching for my goal!!! :catgirl:

TwoMoons

I have a dream, to make a Hellsing voice over that doesn't suck! The English versions of the 13 episodes are terrible! I mean, I had the english subtitles right on the bottom while watching it in english, they didn't sinc at all! Not only that... but they added crap in there that they never said...

Oh, and my other dream? I also have a dream to become a voice actor, or even an actor for an anime character in a real movie... That would be the best thing that ever happened to me... But alas, 'tis only a dream.

[quote name='Weaver_Karuko']I mean, I had the english subtitles right on the bottom while watching it in english, they didn't sinc at all! Not only that... but they added crap in there that they never said...[/quote]I just thought I'd comment on this portion real quick.

You will [i]never[/i] find an anime where the subtitles and English voice overs match up unless it's a movie that was shown in theaters here in America [and even then, it's rare]. There are plenty of reasons for it, so there's no use complaining about them since it's practically unavoidable. First off, the subtitles were created based on the Japanese version, translating them as best they can directly from the original script. The voice-overs, on the other hand, are done with the moving of the mouths in mind. Obviously a direct translation won't fit in very well [think stereotypical kung fu dubbings], so they have to splice around the words a little bit to make them fit, and sometimes they switch it around a bit more simply to make more sense to an English-speaking audience. A lot of people complain that cultural references are lost in the dubbing, or that things are edited, but most companies aren't going to change the content of the dialogue much, if at all. :/

But yeah, the English voices in Hellsing do kinda suck.. or maybe that was just the whole content *ZING*. :cool: I haven't watched it in Japanese, though, so I can't compare. lol

All I'm saying is, when the mouths aren't moving? Don't make them say crap, I mean, it's ridiculous. One scene, not a spoiler, Integra and another person are having a conversation, her mouth isn't moving at the end of the conversation, but she says the prayer anyway... I just got a little ...I don't know the word... over that.

Dubtitles are the bane of many anime fans, and with good reason. Moreover, a dub script [i]must[/i] be slightly re-written to flow nicely and sound natural. Therefore, it makes sense that the sub & dub scripts of pretty much any well-done series are inevitably going to vary. As I don't own Hellsing, I can't really comment on the quality of its subbing, but I would be surprised if Geneon (Pioneer at the time, I suppose) actually subbed in dialogue that wasn't there. You mentioned that you were watching it subtitled in English--there's a strong possibility that she actually did say (or think) the prayer in the Japanese version, regardless of whether or not her mouth was moving. Check it out.

Anyway... [b]TwoMoons[/b], what do you want to be the primary focus of this thread? Dubs, or "anime dreams" in general? I'd like to tweak the title accordingly, to avoid confusion.

~Dagger~

Well, I've always wanted to create my own anime and have it shown on TV or have some kind of exposure. I draw now, all the time, and most people think they're pretty good. I'd put them on here but I'm having trouble with my scanner. Anyway, I enjoy drawing for fun, so I assume I would enjoy drawing for money.

Assuming this thread is about dreams...

TwoMoons, you and I have the same dream. I wish I could become a voice actor, but I know how difficult that is. I'm taking drama courses and plan to go the long route (going to stage or radio first) because I'd like a lot of experience.

Although I can alter my voice to an extent, I know what I need most right now is acting experience. DORAMA KURASSESSU.

-ArV

well everyone this is really a surprise to me....i never knew everyone hade the same dream as i hoped to accomplish...
it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....
thanks everyone..
and Dagger, i would probably consider this an anime dream......
but thanks everyone....
please everyone keep posting....and tell me what your anime dream is to be....
a voice over, or a director or something else............ :animesmil

TwoMoons

My anime dream is slowly but surely coming true. I want to be on the inside, behind the scenes if you will, in the anime industry. I want to write about and interview those who are working in the industry. Eventually I would love to get my writing published in a popular anime related magazine and earn enough money doing my writing that I can support myself and live comfortably.

So far I have been very lucky and have scored several great interviews and hope this will continue for many years to come. My big dream would be to travel to Japan and interview someone like Kazuya Minekura and have her draw me an original sketch of Genjo Sanzo. Now that would really be a dream come true.

My "dream" is pretty materialistic, haha. I would like to eventually start buying R2s, but that requires getting a decent R2 or all-region player (I don't even want think about messing around with hacks and so forth, given my technological ineptitude). My plan is to start off by buying some of the World Masterpiece Theater box sets--i.e. begin with whatever is least likely to be licensed, and gradually work my way up the list. There are also some series that I already own which I wouldn't mind double-dipping on. I've heard that the video quality of the Utena R2s is vastly superior to that of the R1s (plus, I'd be able to watch the first 13 episodes without hardsubs). So that's another big draw.

Of course, to really get my money's worth, I'd have to a) become fluent or near-fluent in Japanese, or b) get my hands on timed scripts and learn how to create subtitles. Which would require getting over my technology-related incompetence. :p

~Dagger~

thanks everybody,

but i heard you dont get paid much money if you get in the anime buisness i would only hope that what i heard was incorret or i heard it wrong :animecry: ...but i still oneday
will move to Texas and become a voice actress....one-day.. :animesmil

(i really wish i hade some donuts and coffee right about now) :animesigh

TwoMoons

I'd say VAs get paid okay. They don't get as much money as Live-Action actors (and that's why the VAs of the Simpsons were supposedly going to go on strike) but they get more jobs and that would probably work out. ^^

Though, if you're planning to move to Japan, Animators don't get much money. Don't know about Anime Seiyuu, most of them are also singers.

-ArV

i would really hope i would get paid alot.....i would have to put waffles on the table for my good friend Gir...*my signature* :animestun
oh and by the way i got a e-mail from ADV Films i will post it here as soon as
i possibly can.....hope you all can wait...gomennassai everyone
but it was a good e-mail though...
if i cant be a VA i would probalbly be the Director or the Producer or better yet the
Creater or Character Designs...that would probalbly be just as much fun.. :animesmil

TwoMoons

• 2 months later...
i guess you could say a desire of mine would be revoicing some dubs to where they dont suck ***. plain and simple. that or get someone other than a cowgirl hick to voice a drunk floozy (kitsune from love hina).

goin allong with the thread, yeah, voice acting sounds cool. ive been reading the megatokyo comics, and one of the girls in it is a new voice actress, she gets the part in a H-game, and she messes with the, uh, supervisors a lot. guy says line from book, she says 'like that cheezy pick up line is going to work' its great.

i would like to do something like what he has done and create a webcomic, or actual manga, but i just dont have the motivation i would need for it. it makes me sad, really, i think i could really enjoy that...

[color=purple]Well i guess that we all have different intrests but we all have to agree with one thing...it deals with anime. Also whats wrong with dubbed anime, i perfer both: dubbed and subtitled. But i mean really so what if its not the origanal anime from Japan. But really whats wrong with it? Please someone tell me!!![/color]
[color=purple][/color]
[color=purple][/color]
[color=purple]TwoMoons[/color]

Guest Illy_the_vamp
[QUOTE=Silent Whispers]Hello TwoMoons again and let me tell you a story....
ever since i was a little girl and when i saw my first anime i have wanted
to become a voice actress for ADV Films ever since.... :animesmil
well i have not had much success with my dream but one day i hope
i can grasp it and become one of the largest names in ADV Films...
What are your anime dreams(if you have any)
Even if my dream saound silly...who knows what can happen,
until then i will keep reaching for my goal!!! :catgirl:

TwoMoons[/QUOTE]

Hi!!
I'm new here...but I would totally like to do a voice on FMA.....maybe even Sailor Moon...that was always a fave of mine....

Well gonna split!
BYE!!

Courntey Florea A.K.A Illy_the_vamp
:animenose

Ever since I started reading mangas like Basara and Red River I've really wanted to write/draw a manga with a strong female lead. Like, I get tired of the female (even if she is the main char.) being a sissy, having to depend on her hot man (not that there is anything wrong iwth hot men ^_^). I just like a woman who can beat down just as many people as her guy can. It's not a woman's lib thingy... I just think it's makes a story more worth reading.

By the way... I have "tried" starting my own manga! hehe I just can't draw... So I've got a story semi planned out and in the process of being wrote out and I think it could be really awesome! *if I ever get it drawn for me -_-*

BUT HEY! DJ milky and Counrtney Love got a japanese manga-ka to draw their story for a manga. So who knows?! maybe it'll all be good. haha

I have three anime dreams.

1) to work with the GDW (shinichi watanabe) on producing/directiong/screenpla for an anime.

2) to become a voice actor, and work alongside the greats, like mitsuishi kotono, kobaiyashi yumiko, and the guys on the 5.1 commentary for puni puni poemy

3) to craft the soundtrack for many great anime shows and/or write the script for a great anime.

these dreams are unrealistic, and probably delusional, but if a person has not their dreams, then they have nothing