OtakuBoards

Writing Under Pressure

AzureWolf

[COLOR=blue]Compared to your normal writing, how do you write under pressure? You know, whether it be for a contest or under timed conditions, some aspects of writing do change.

A timed situation is the worst for me. Writing something instead of typing it makes timing more annoying. I think I'd write much more strongly if I could type instead of write. In addition, my handwriting tends to be sloppier than usual. There are even degrees. If I'm not sure what to write, I'm really sloppy. On the other hand, if I'm confident about my ability to write about a topic, I write a little more normally.

What's funny is that I don't normally brainstorm or prewrite for regular things, whereas that's exactly what I do for timed writing and non-computer stuff.[/COLOR]

It's been ages since I wrote under time pressure but there was never really a problem with that back in school, mostly because the subjects we had to write about would always manage to click with my inspiration. Who knows, maybe pressure sparks that competition freak/addict in me? >>

[quote=AzureWolf]"Writing something instead of typing it makes timing more annoying."

"In addition, my handwriting tends to be sloppier than usual."[/quote]
Tell me about it, haha. Not to mention when your hand starts to cramp up, then you really wish it was allowed to type on the computer *cringes from memories*

What's also slightly embarrassing for me is that I tend to write really loudly (ie, put too much pressure on the pen/pencil) and because I write very fast, people always go "O_____o" at me. :animeswea

But to sum it up, I don't think my writing changes between 'no pressure' situations and 'time constraint pressure' situations. Except my tendency to be 'swirly' is limited when there's not enough time to go over things and I end up keeping things fairly tight :p

[color=darkblue]As for me, I have to say that working under timed condtions are the worst for me. Seeing as though I don't really have the time to create a proper outline (as I'm quite prone to going off on random tangents) and the fact that it takes me a while to write things by hand (I don't feel right if I do something in really sloppy handwriting when I know it's ging in for a grade), I usually never get quite done, or it seems rushed since I [i]was[/i] hurrying to write things down in the time limit. I'm also a clock-watcher, so that doesn't really help matters much, heh.

But if I'm doing something for a contest, it's much easier for me. Although it's still under a form of time constraint, it's not nearly as tense as something as a test. My writing flows easier since it's possilble to think over my ideas several times over.

*shrugs* That's just me, though. Heh.[/color]

I hate writing essays at home. Seriously, I find it to be very boring unless the subject interests me. Usually when I'm at home I have all of the time in the world to write an essay, and when I have a lot of time to do something, I slack off. I don't think that I've ever finished an essay at home very quickly.

On the flip side, and I feel like a real dork for admitting this, but I really like writing in-class essays. The fact that you only have a limited to finish it and make it really good makes it so much more fun. When I have a time limit breathing down my neck, it's a hell of a lot easier to map out an essay in my head and transfer it to paper. (I don't use outlines, by the way, unless a teacher forces me to. I've never needed an outline to write a solid essay.) I remember talking to Lore last year after the AP English Literature exam, and we both agreed that it was really fun, especially the essay part. English nerds love challenges, damn it.

Funny how I find this thread right after completing a timed practice end-of-exam test in English class =P

I'm spoiled in the fact that I hate writing things out by hand, if I can avoid it. I type most everything out using the computer. Faster, neater, and less scribbing out for me.

What makes me a little bit nervous is the way my college works, we have to take a board approved and graded test in exactly two weeks. This test is timed, taken in class (ie hand written), and decides if we pass the English course or not. So my English grade pretty much rides on one single test, and things are going to suck badly for me if the topic doesnt interest me in the least. =X

[color=darkslateblue] Although I hate writing them, essays are one of my fortes in writing. So yes, when I'm in a timed environment and I have to write a 4 or 5-paragraph essay, my best work comes out. My literature teacher loves replacing tests on books we've read/or anything else with one-hour class timed essays. So far I have developed a great relationship with them....they keep my grade up easily. Most people hate them because a lot of people in my class spend about 20 minutes planning the damn thing and then end up not finishing. I never really use pre-writing, I find it easier to just go in and write it. Most of the time I just write something as briefly as possible in the box my teacher gives us for prewriting so I can get credit for it. I just find essay writing so... easy, if I have to be blunt.

But if anyone ever timed me with creative writing, I'd die in a heartbeat.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE]I hate writing essays at home. Seriously, I find it to be very boring unless the subject interests me. Usually when I'm at home I have all of the time in the world to write an essay, and when I have a lot of time to do something, I slack off. I don't think that I've ever finished an essay at home very quickly.

On the flip side, and I feel like a real dork for admitting this, but I really like writing in-class essays. The fact that you only have a limited to finish it and make it really good makes it so much more fun. When I have a time limit breathing down my neck, it's a hell of a lot easier to map out an essay in my head and transfer it to paper[/QUOTE]

i agree one-hundred percent with shinamru. time pressure is good. lots of time is bad. but thankfully, i don't have the problem of the notorious hand cramps that may poeple have mentioned, as my shool allows me to write using a computer.

[COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]When it comes to writing under time, I freak but tend to do pretty okay with it.

I'm lucky when it comes to writing in the sense that I find it impossible to plan so all of my stuff is written without any clear idea of where I'm going and doesn't need much editing.

When I had to write for my school exams I found myself almost running out of paper and not to mention time, that's where I get a problem. I get a really good story going and all the ideas are flowing when I suddenly have to cut it short which usually brings it to a very bad ending.

I don?t usually like writing essays at home or in school, really. I think it's because in an exam I know I don?t' have a choice so I get on with it, when I have to do things at home my hours are more flexible and I slack off.

My hand writing is terrible when I write freehand, too, it gets all spidery and ick, I'm surprised anyone can read it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]It depends on what I'm writing, really. If I'm being timed to write something creative like a short story scene or bits of dialogue then I tend to freak out a little. With any kind of creative writing - timed or not - I tend to spend more time thinking about what I want to say and how I should form the words and sentences in my head more than just sitting down and spitting it all out.

Like Lunox, though, when it comes to timed essays I kick ass. For the most part I feel like I do my best writing when I'm under pressure, which is also why I wait until the very last minute to write some of that stuff. >_>;[/size]