OtakuBoards

What deep thought or quote do you think of regularly?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I'm regulary thinking of how I can be a better person. It's something that's on my mind each and every day. [I]"Make the best of it" [/I] and [I]"Live life to the fullest"[/I] Are more than just quotes, They're my way of life.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The quote I think of most regularly is "Don't sweat the small stuff because it is all small stuff." When I was in grade school the major problems in my life, like not having the "in" toy, is now just silly to look back at. As I go through life I realize that the things that were major stresses in my life weren't really that major.

Math tests in elementary school. At the time, major worry. Did getting some of the problems wrong really change my life? Nope. But at the time it sure felt like the world was crashing down around me. Breaking up with my boyfriend in high school. End of the world? Nope. Life just keeps on a truckin' along.

In the cosmic scheme of things, there are very few things that really need to be that concerned about. ;)

[color=darkslateblue] Not exactly a famous quote or anything, but I keep it to heart: [i]"Pride is the root of all sins."[/i] ^_~ I hate arrogant people the most, so I try and live as modest as I can. And while the quote may not be 100% true, it is very much accurate in many cases. :)[/color]

It sounds kind of strange, and my mum thinks it's scary but I'm always thinking "If you aren't remembered, you never existed." I think that's the only thing that'll keep me going to achieve my dream of being a published poet and an actress. I want to feel like people are looking at me because they know who I am and respect me instead of just because I look strange. Don't get me wrong, I like the way I look, but I'm really self concious.

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]I got a couple...[you got the quotes in my signature of course...those are my three best]

"Everyman dies...not everyman really lives."

"Life isn't measured by how many breathes you take, but by the moments that take them away."

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the does of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the one who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat, dust, and blood; who, if he wins, knows the triumphs of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid who know neither victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

"Fate it seems...is not without a sense of irony..."

"A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing...and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?"

"It comes down to a simple choice really...you either get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

Then of course one that I as a man must face...
"God gave man two head and only enough blood to run one at a time."
-Robin Williams[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

"just focus on living breath to breath... pain only comes when you think about the future."
"The brightest light casts the darkest shadows."
"Is it kinder to love someone and say you don't, or not love them and say you do?"
"The mind can create a heaven out of hell and a hell out of heaven."
"If you could convince enough people that two plus two equals five, then two plus two would effectively equal five. See, the truth is entirely subjective."

[SIZE=1]Well, a few phrases of mine... you may have seen them on me.

[B]"Teach me to be stronger."[/B]
Sometimes, I feel quite inadequate. In sports, school, whatever. I feel my efforts are fruitless and thrown to the wind. I want to be superman, in a way. Perfect, never failing at all. Sadly, I cannot be perfect, but I can be stronger.

[b]"I've failed you. Please, forgive me."[/b]
We all screw up pretty bad in life, and things are only right again if you're forgiven. Now, in my case, this quote was from when I messed up really really bad, but my parent's didn't seem to want to forgive me. If it makes any difference, my GPA took a pretty hard hit, and I was doing alot better already for the fourth quarter. I wanted to leave my failure in the past, to move on with my life, but they didn't seem to be like that. They insisted on punishment, and restrictions, and making life hell. I told them flat out "I want to move on. Stop dwelling on this." It's basically the same thing.

[b]"Through the adversity and hardship I fight, with only bitter tears and cold determination."[/b]
Now, as you may have gathered, I've failed alot and I hate it. I struggle through the tough times with only my will to guide me through it, feeling rather separated from the rest of the world. The only thing that holds me together is my determination to get through it all as best I can.[/SIZE]

[color=darkviolet]Hmm, good question.

I think my favorite one is: [b]No one can make you feel inferior without your consent[/b]

The quote is by Elenore Roosevelt and I think it's a good one to live by. Yes people can say all sorts of things about you. But unless you allow yourself to give into those feelings then you will never really be bellow everyone as some people wish you to be.

That's all I can think of for right now. And I really like this thread.[/color]

The thoughts that circle through my head often are those of the song "Tulips Are Better" by Atreyu. It sounds weird, having song lyrics echo around in your brain all day, you'd think it'd get annoying, but it doesn't bother me. The basis of the song is this. Roses are beautiful, they draw people in, to smell and to touch, but every rose has it thorns. Coming to close causes you to get hurt, and roses end up alone surrounded by the blood of those who came to close. Tulips might not be as pretty as roses, but they have no thorns to hurt those close to them.

I relate this to people. Beautiful people are often stuck-up and snobby, especially in HS, where I am now. They draw people to them, and these people are hurt. I remember that in the long run, the rose will be left alone, and I'll be the one surrounded by the scent of others, rather then their spilled blood. It sounds a little morbid, but its comforting, watching people be cocky, and knowing that someday they'll regret every minute of every day they've lived. And the people they've made fun of, rule the world they were once a part of.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Really, only one quote gets repeatedly replayed in my head. It's a great quote, makes me think deeply about life and all that fun stuff whenever it finds it's way into my thoughts. The social and philosophical implications of this quote just blow my mind. *clears throat*

[center][I]'This isn't where I parked my car!'[/I][/center]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] :p

Well the thought that I've been thinking about alot lately is:

Resentment is letting someone live in your head rent free.

I suspect that's because one of my trainers at work is impatient, rude, and very negative, so I've been trying to not let her get to me. :animeswea

[size=1][b]And the time that I will suffer less is when I'll never have to wake[/b] - 'Wandering Stars' - Portishead
[b]Hunger hurts, starving works when it costs too much to love[/b] - 'Paper Bag' - Fiona Apple
[b]I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. I want you to notice when I'm not around. I wish I was special... you're so ******* special.[/b] - 'Creep' - Radiohead

I don't think any of those are very healthy, but they're constantly in my head. [/size]

My sincere apologies to those people whose fonts are so... [i]stylish[/i] that I was unable to read them, my post does not concern you. As I scanned the "deep" thoughts that some of you offered, I was struck by one titillatingly obvious thought, (I admit it isn't very deep), these quotes, generally speaking, are the sorts of things that people find on cereal boxes.

And once you've found a cereal box quote, you sot of want to hush it up, not use it for a while, you know? Then you can slowly reintroduce it in your conversation, maybe only one idea at a time for the longer cereal box quotes, or a word or two for the shorter.

Unfortunately, one begins to build a reputation for cleverness, and to use a cereal box quote "it is better to be cleverer than you appear". Once this rep, this "street cred" is established, your peers call on you to perform it time and time again. I have news for you, there are only so many cereal boxes.

But alas, I am being unfair to the quotes themselves. They are not quotes at all, but merely words taken from the mouths of unsuspecting people, and stamped onto cereal boxes and into the pages of curmedgeons and poetry books. The ideas may be true, but in the shallow, and again I speak generally, way these ideas are thrown about, they become so cheap that a bowl of fruit loops has greater redeeming value.

My point with all of this being that one should never attempt to cultivate a legend, or air of mysteriousness with cereal box quotes. The best way to achieve "mysterious" or "wise" status, is by only speaking when you've got a nailer. All ye of cereal box quote kingdom: listen much, speak less. and think not.

[SIZE=1]You think you have the right to brand our quotes as ones worthy only for a cereal box? You're truly as deep as a puddle. I guess you can't read very well, either, as you think our fonts are 'too stylish to read.'

No one here was trying to be wise or deep or profound. We are offering the quotes that we try to live by or think of often -- not prove we are a sage or a monk. So what if they're slightly cliche? You have zero right to call them cereal box quotes, snatched from the mouthes of unsuspecting people. How do you know if we made them ourselves?

Actually, looking back at everyone's quotes again, they really have plenty of truth laden in them. It just takes someone with half a brain to see it.

How about you grow up, and when you're old enough to be mature and respect people's values and ideas post again. Until then, shut the ******* up.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Raid3r]My sincere apologies to those people whose fonts are so... [i]stylish[/i] that I was unable to read them, my post does not concern you. As I scanned the "deep" thoughts that some of you offered, I was struck by one titillatingly obvious thought, (I admit it isn't very deep), these quotes, generally speaking, are the sorts of things that people find on cereal boxes.

And once you've found a cereal box quote, you sot of want to hush it up, not use it for a while, you know? Then you can slowly reintroduce it in your conversation, maybe only one idea at a time for the longer cereal box quotes, or a word or two for the shorter.

Unfortunately, one begins to build a reputation for cleverness, and to use a cereal box quote "it is better to be cleverer than you appear". Once this rep, this "street cred" is established, your peers call on you to perform it time and time again. I have news for you, there are only so many cereal boxes.

But alas, I am being unfair to the quotes themselves. They are not quotes at all, but merely words taken from the mouths of unsuspecting people, and stamped onto cereal boxes and into the pages of curmedgeons and poetry books. The ideas may be true, but in the shallow, and again I speak generally, way these ideas are thrown about, they become so cheap that a bowl of fruit loops has greater redeeming value.

My point with all of this being that one should never attempt to cultivate a legend, or air of mysteriousness with cereal box quotes. The best way to achieve "mysterious" or "wise" status, is by only speaking when you've got a nailer. All ye of cereal box quote kingdom: listen much, speak less. and think not.[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Sorry mate. Perhaps we should start a stupidity thread to suit your needs?

[/size]

A qoute that satys with me huh....well...He'ere one I was thinking of this morning for no reason. "An army marches on it's stomach." Sorry...nothing too profound On my mind as of right now...I'm too busy stuffing information for finals in there. :animeswea

Usually my deep thoughts are concerned with the fact that life seems to have no real big purpose. Even if you take religious beliefs into account.

Also...when I first read the thread I though you all wanted Deep Thought quotes (aka the computer from the book/movie Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy), in which case I will repeat a quote. "Oh, the show's back on!"

[font=Verdana][size=2]I can not seem to remember any exact quotes so I guess there more princepals than anything else. But those would be:[/size][/font]

[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=2]Don't worry about things you can not control. If anything laugh about them.[/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=2]Be happy with what you have. [/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=2]Don't care about what other people think or say.[/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=2]Don't Whine.[/size][/font]
[/list][font=Verdana][size=2]I try to live by these as much as I can but we all know we worry sometimes. Sometimes we want to know why Johnny gets a H2 hummer while you get a 88 corola. Its just life. Like Tom Cruise says in Collateral. "[Stuff] happens, you have to adapt." [/size][/font]

This basic quote I use often (Which i didnt get from a cereal box or other food product) is "To achieve your dreams, first you must wake up". This basically means that you have to work for your dreams In order to achieve them

[COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]Hah, Raid3r, that was a truly stupid thing to say. No one anywhere has any right at all to insult people like that, this thread if for discussing what people think of and believe in and if you're aren't mature enough to come in and have an adult conversation then what's the point in reading through in the first place?

Plus, I'd love for you to show me a cereal box that says, [B]"Through the adversity and hardship I fight, with only bitter tears and cold determination."[/B]

(Chose your quote, Retri, 'cause I <3 it)

So, yeah, Raid3r, grow some brain cells before you go bashing other people, eh?

Lately I?ve been thinking of the same sentence and it usually makes me feel better; [B]'Crying won't solve anything, determination will'[/B].

I found myself repeating it last night over and over, I know it's something that a lot of people would use, but it's totally true.

One that can never grow old that I love,[B] 'Trust in God, but lock your car.'[/B]

The classics never die.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Delacroix][COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]Plus, I'd love for you to show me a cereal box that says, [B]"Through the adversity and hardship I fight, with only bitter tears and cold determination."[/B]

(Chose your quote, Retri, 'cause I <3 it)

So, yeah, Raid3r, grow some brain cells before you go bashing other people, eh?

Lately I?ve been thinking of the same sentence and it usually makes me feel better; [B]'Crying won't solve anything, determination will'[/B].

I found myself repeating it last night over and over, I know it's something that a lot of people would use, but it's totally true.

One that can never grow old that I love,[B] 'Trust in God, but lock your car.'[/B]

The classics never die.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1][B]SQWEE![/B] You've gotten +100 cool points, Dela.

Yeah, it's strange to see how true something like that is. I guess I thought it was only me who felt that way... I mean, in the back of my mind somewhere I knew that someone would have to think the same thing, but consciously I doubted anyone would. Pretty strange, yet cooler still.

As for the "Trust in God, but lock your car" thing, that's pretty cool too. When you think about it, the locking of the car could be symbolic for any earthly precaution you take. Nice spin on the quote, I think.

Raid3r, I hope you have a high enough IQ to realize that no one here was trying to be deep, profound, or in general wise/mystical. You need to shut your mother****** mouth, it's people like you's shallow mindedness who weight down the world with closed minded, completely mistaken thoughts.[/SIZE]

All right, Raid3r, or whatever you call yourself....I opened dis thread because I wanted someplace that people could just come to and post whatever they thought of. And if you think it's only worthy for a cereal box, well, quite frankly, jump in a lake and don't come out until you learn to not speak so rashly on such an innocent thread.

And as for everybody else, thank you for all your posts! Especially Retribution, thank you for the support. :D

I hope to see more of your thoughts!

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Okay ye of the anti-cereal box squad ¬_¬.

Surely it isn't were the quotes came from, merely the inspiration they inspire in you in your everyday life. Maybe that's why they're printed on cereal boxes in the first place (not that I've seen any mind you but maybe i just eat different cereal to you). This isn't a competition of "oh my quote is more valid and wise than yours".

If you find something from an obscure and unread place and prize that above all others then maybe you are viewing things from a slightly superficial, elitist perspective and this itself undermines the simplicity and meaning of words that can mean a great many things to a great many people.

I myself take my inspiration from my mother, whom when I most needed it picked me up and sent back out into the world with these simple, innocent and yet wholly effective words that mean a great deal to me.

[B]"You only have to live up to yourself. Noone can make you do anything that you don't want to do."[/B]

Now you can say it sounds like it comes from the side of a cereal box or whatever and that its an obvious and empty sentiment thats thrown around like so many empty promises and droning mantras but to me, in my head, it sums up everything that I want my life to be. That is the point of it all.

You can find it from a newspaper or a book on ancient philosophy. You can find it on a candy wrapper and you could even pick it up from some bum on the street but in the end its what it means to you and how you use it that matters. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read some cereal boxes.

(I betcha said what you did for the flames huh? How'd ya like the heat now?)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Wow, people weren't very happy with Raider's quote...Oh well, its always nice to have a scape goat :rolleyes:

I assume he wasn't referring to me, considering Atreyu isn't usually of cereal box quality. And concerning that, I love cereal, and have yet to read a box with philosophical quotes on the back. Mazes, yes. Cut-outs, yes. Random quotes, no. Some people just like the simple things in life, so they have simple, yet good quotes, while others like to analyze it and create a pathological analysis concerning the world and the thoughts bouncing around in their head.

Personally, my quotes are a little on the morbid side, but I feel they have much more meaning then those of a "cereal box" as some might put it. For instance...

"If your heart was broken, you'd be dead"

Some say "thats stupid" but if you actually read it, and comprehend its meaning, then you'll realize what its all about. Not only is it meaningful, but its short, proving a quote doesn't have to be 6 lines long to mean something.

Besides, this thread was based on personal thoughts anyway, so stop taking up post space as well as your own time trying to bring other people down so that your's will look somewhat better or you'll start to feel smart for an instant in your boring meaningless life. Thank you.