OtakuBoards

Schapelle Corby Trials- Your Views

PWNED

A bit over half a year ago, Australian Schapelle Corby, who's facing drug trafficking charges. In October last year, customs officers at Bali's international airport found more than four kilograms of marijuana in the 27-year-old Queenslander's body-board bag. Her trials ended a week or so ago and she is currently waiting for the results. I am sharing mixed opinions about the trials because Who would be stupid enough to import drugs into Bali but on the other hand Who would plant the drugs in a Body Board Bag? I would like to hear other peoples opinions.

[size=1]I doubt that too many people outside of Australia would have heard of this case, but whatever.

In answer to your thoughts, there'd be no reason to take drugs [b]to[/b] Bali. You could sell them easily enough, and for much more, over here. The second part of the question is easily answered too, as the Victorian prisoner showed. A drug ring using baggage handlers was flying drugs around Australia, but that load was missed. If you need any more proof that the prisoner's claims were correct, don't forget that he was stabbed a few days ago. Somebody didn't want to be implicated ~_^[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]Yeah, I can't imagine her being prosecuted for it...the whole thing seems illogical (ie: the idea that she's actually responsible for it herself).

But who knows. I am highly suspicious of the judicial system in Indonesia, lol.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]Yeah, I can't imagine her being prosecuted for it...the whole thing seems illogical (ie: the idea that she's actually responsible for it herself).

But who knows. I am highly suspicious of the judicial system in Indonesia, lol.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]I think that she'll probably get life, and if so, Australia will request that she's brought back here for her imprisonment. Life is all that prosecutors are pushing for, but the judges don't have to abide by the prosecutor's recommendations, and the Chief Judge has not allowed a single drug smuggler to live in 7 years, or something like that. So, things could be grim for Schapelle. But it's just ludicrous that they could sentence her for what is plainly something not of her doing.

But as for the Bali Nine...well. They're all going to be shot, I reckon.[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]Yeah, it sucks that our government has to make these requests of Indonesia all the time. It annoys me, because it's like we have to second guess their extremely weird judicial system. lol

Still, it's reasonable I suppose. Third world countries are infamous for having highly severe judicial systems like this...the fact that they still have the firing squad even seems a little odd to me, honestly.

Although I think Australia is right to have some intervention, I can't imagine how it must look to local Indonesians. They are no doubt very tired of us "butting in" all the time...even though we've always had more than enough cause to do so.[/color][/font]

Yeah, I had doubts that Non-Australians would have heard of the trials but we do have more Aussies here than I thought. I know that Indonesia and Australia have never seen straight and this trial is almost the final naail in the coffin. I am also fairly sure that Bali 9 will be executed. My dad also gave the fact that Indonesia usually has better Drugs then Australia which I found not so welcoming. I don't think that Indonesia have the right to intrude on trials in Australia either.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=RoyalBlue]Well, the Corby verdict is coming soon, the 3 judges will hand their verdicts in about an hour from now.

I still maintain she is innocent, and it stands to reason, after all, why export drugs to Indonesia when they're worth twice as much in Australia? This whole case has not made much sense at all, and seems more than a bit skewered in the prosecutions favour.

I heard that Corby's lawyer has released a statement saying the chief judge has never found a suspected drug trafficker not guilty. If that's true, that's bad news. :( Still, I have faith and hope that the truth will have prevailed, and Corby will be aquitted of these crimes. the defenses' case has been reasonable, and is definately something for the judges to think about.

I'm praying for you, Schappelle Corby, and I pray that your ordeal will be over soon.

I don't know much about the Bali 9, are they connected to Corby's case in some way?
[/color]

I just heard the outcome of the trial a while ago and Schapelle was found guilty, she didn't get death or a life sentence but she got 20 years and had to pay a fine of 50 million Bali dollars.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='The Monster']I just heard the outcome of the trial a while ago and Schapelle was found guilty, she didn't get death or a life sentence but she got 20 years and had to pay a fine of 50 million Bali dollars.[/quote]
Such a regrettable outcome. I was really hoping that she'd go free, but whatever. I somehow get the feeling she'll end up killing herself during incarceration, especially if the Australian Government can't get her to serve her term in Australia. My heart goes out to the poor woman. :([/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]Yeah, 20 Years and $20,000AU

It's pretty harsh, especially when contrasted to Australia's own justice system...where a murderer stands to get less than that. I can't say that drug smuggling and murder are equivalent in my mind. At the same time, this is a remarkably soft outcome from the Indonesian justice system. Already, Schapelle's defence team is preparing to launch an appeal. Unfortunately, so is the prosecution. They want her sentence extended.

To tell the truth, the outcome didn't surprise me. They were never just going to let her leave, no matter what the evidence she had in her favour was. Admittedly, she [b]is[/b] a tad strange, and she [b]did[/b] act in a suspicious manner when they were opening her body-board bag. But when it comes down to it, I think that it was Australian baggage handlers who were responsible for the marijuana.[/SIZE]

I've read up on some of this and there's too many questions to really convict her of anything (which the judges technically didn't, that's why she's not being executed).

Also for the people saying about how drugs cost less in Bali, that's true but what she was caught with was high grade hydroponic pot which is worth about double in Bali as it is in Australia.

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]

To tell the truth, the outcome didn't surprise me. They were never just going to let her leave, no matter what the evidence she had in her favour was. Admittedly, she [b]is[/b] a tad strange, and she [b]did[/b] act in a suspicious manner when they were opening her body-board bag. But when it comes down to it, I think that it was Australian baggage handlers who were responsible for the marijuana.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#737373]Yeah, there was a lot of stuff that really didn't seem to be taken into account. For example, why not compare the weight of her bag in America versus Bali? If it was heavier in Bali then bingo, something was added during the trip.

Also, they didn't do any blood tests on her or anything, to see if she had taken any drugs. Drug dealers do tend to sample their own stuff and they often test positive when arrested, so I'm surprised that the Indonesians did nothing about that.

It definitely seems like they are making an example of her, despite the questions about her guilt. I think there is plenty of "reasonable doubt" here...and that's really all you need not to be convicted.[/color]

[size=1]It isn't routine practice currently to check baggage weight in most flights.

[Actually, now that I think about it, they always check baggage weights. Maybe they're not [b]recorded[/b] though]

I do think that the judgement is unfair, especially when you compare it to some of the Bali bombers, who planned an incident which killed 202 people, but only got 30 months of prison: thats a meagre two and a half years. Yet a drug smuggler, who has very little evidence against her, is given twenty years? Seems a bit skewed to me.

And over there, it's more a case of 'Prove that you didn't do it', rather than prosecutors needing to prove that you did do it.[/size]