OtakuBoards

Metal

Jake of Bodom

I'm glad to see that some of you guys are taking my suggestions to heart (Rhym, I'm glad you loved Opeth - I [B]strongly[/B] suggest them to everyone. The album Blackwater Park is a true masterpiece). And Otogi-san, I can't remember if you got Finntroll off my suggestion or not, but either way, I'm glad you love them. They're one of my personal favorites for sure!

Speaking of Opeth, they're releasing a new album in late August! I'm beyond stoked. By the way, did you know that they signed to Roadrunner Records? WHAT THE HELL? Opeth on flippin' [I]Roadrunner Records[/I]? What's up with that? I'm pretty sure that RR can't mess things up with Opeth though; they're too great. Although it [I]does[/I] worry me that MTV.com talked to Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth's vocalist/guitarist). Since when did MTV.com give a crap about Opeth? Oh well. I'm sure things will go great. It's friggin' Opeth.

Speaking of Opeth, all you fans out there probably know of Bloodbath, Mikael Akerfeldt's side project. You probably also know that he left Bloodbath to concentrate on Opeth. And you probably know about the new Bloodbath C.D. they released without Mikael. The new Bloodbath C.D. is called "Nightmares Made Flesh", and it's a hell of a lot better than the first one ("Resurrection Through Carnage"). Not that it was Mikael's fault - he's ful
Also, for any Children of Bodom fans: Check out the band Imperanon. They sound so much like Bodom it's crazy. It's not quite as crazy and technical, but they definately put their own twist on blackened power metal. It's great stuff, but here's the scary part: the lead guitarist is only like 16 or 17 years old! He plays incredibly, too! Try the songs "Blade" and "Shadowsouls" for a taste of their stuff (note: "Shadowsouls" features some nicely excecuted female vocals, but it's the only song with the girl singing).

In Flames is getting close to wrapping up their new album! All the new material has been written, and they've finished recording 8 of the 13 new songs. The album will be titled Crawl Through Knives. The album should be finished at the end of this month! YAY! REJOICE!!!

\m/ (>.<) \m/

Keep the posts coming, kids!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all rock, and metal has a special place in my heart. 3 Inches of Blood kicks ten kinds of punk ***, Sonata arctica is ******* amazing, and Rhapsody and Blind Guardian are also hot.

One thing though, if you truly want to become a MasterMetalHead (Not me, Jake. He is quite impressive, PS- do you know all of this stuff or do you get it out of books? If you know it, you are the most badass metalhead I know) I think its important to at least have knowledge of metal's roots.

JoB mentioned this a little while ago, and I'd like to offer some clarification.

Led Zeppelin, as a band, created the metal genre with some of the greatest songcraft ever employed ever. Period.

Black Sabbath created the modern metal image- While Zeppelin members still dressed like rockers, Sabbath took it to a whole new level. I guess you could call them the first pure metal band, but Zeppelin was definetly metal's most important pioneer.

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]Oh how I love metal :cool: yet I've been so quiet in this post. So hear we go...

First of all, I've seen a lot of really good bands listed. Jake, you never cease to amaze me with your metal knowledge lol. Although we do differ in taste, I believe its because of the places we've come from and the music we've been rasied to listen to.

I'm pretty knowledgable about american metal, but I can't really say the same for metal from scandinavia, finland, basically any place in europe lol. Although I've heard a lot of it, I don't know much about it, so I'm admitting it for later reference.

Some of my favorite bands are as follows...

[I]Atreyu [/I] - I've mentioned this band 349823948 times over. Just because, well, they're amazing. [url]www.purevolume.com/atreyu/[/url] if you'd like to give them a quick listen. "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses" remains to be one of the best cd's I've ever heard, the lyrics, the music, everything, its all amazing. I'd compare them to another band, but personally I find them uncomparable. "The Curse" is a good cd, although not as good as the first few I believe. If you havn't listened to them you should definitely give them a shot.

[I]Norma Jean [/I] - They've been mentioned above, but not much has been said about them. Yes they are christian, and yes they are an amazing band. "Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child" is a truly amazing cd with some of the best breakdowns I've ever heard. The music is truly great, and the singing is quite good as well. They're definitely worth checking out. Their new cd "O' God the Aftermath," once again is good, but not near as good as the first.

[I]Poison the Well [/I] - Also, a really good band. "The Opposite of December" is pretty short (9 songs, 28 mins) but I could listen to it over and over again and never get tired of it. They bring a new sound to every album they produce, from "The Opposite of December" to the new "You Come Before You" they always offer something new to listen to and its all increasingly good if you ask me.

[I]Killswitch Engage [/I] - Ahh, I love Killswitch. They have a different sound and the music they offer is truly great. "Alive or Just Breathing" is an amazing cd with good breakdowns and amazing vocals. "The End of Heartache" is also eqaully good. They stay true to their sound through it all and I enjoy just listening to them. It gives me chills sometimes.

[I]Bleeding Through [/I] - This band has a more morbid outlook on the metal scene and its definitely worth looking over. The screamer is one of my favorites out there and Marta (plays keys) gives the band an eerie sound worht dying for. "This is Love, This is Murderous" is probably my favorite cd by them, and its incredibly good.

[I]It Dies Today [/I] - I believe this band is vastly underestimated. They're an amazing band who doesn't really get much credit for the work they do. "Forever Scourned" is much more hardcore then their new stuff, but the music is great and the vocals are incredible. "The Caitiff Choir," their new cd, is also one of my favorites, I can't help but listen to it over and over again.

Some other bands who are good, but might not be as much so as the ones above are as follows...

The Bled
Underoath
acrossfiveaprils
alexisonfire
As I Lay Dying
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Symphony In Peril
Avenged Sevenfold
Unearth
Scars of Tomorrow
Eighteen Visions
Silverstein
Slipknot

Some bands that are a lot less known, but that I think are amazing go as follows...

Dear Whoever
All My Heroes
My Broken Promise
Princes of Las Vegas
Greeley Estates
Lenore
Blessed Is He
Gray Lines of Perfection
Drive By Romance
Blessed Be You
A Bitter Farewell
Afterimage

Almost of all the bands I've listed, if not all of them, can be heard at [url]www.purevolume.com[/url] so go there and give them a listen if you'd like.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Finally fellow rockers!!!! I love metal and hard rock (just like my dad, most people say im following in his footsteps) The bands/artists I like the most are: Slipknot, Evanescence (I know theyre not really metal), Marlyin Manson, Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC DC, Mudvayne, Led Zepplin, System of A Down, and Linkin Park (again, I know they're not really metal). Its nice to know that there are people out there that will help keep metal alive for many more years to come!!

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGrey]Wow, it's so refreshing to find people on the Boards who actually [i]like[/i] metal! Huzzah!

There's a few more bands I've recently come across (Jake gave them to me, actually :animesmil ), and I'd like to share them.

[b]Dark Tranquility -[/b] Oh man, these guys just might be the most epic death metal band I've heard. Maybe even more epic that Kalmah, and that's saying something. Damage Done is a most excellent album. I mean, usually, there are maybe two or three songs I won't like on an album, but not this one. Get it as soon as possible.

[b]Old Man's Child -[/b] I think these guys might be black metal. Normally, black metal is just kinda stupid and crappy, but these guys kick mondo arse. They're a bit like Dimmu Borgir in that they're a black metal band that actually [i]cares[/i] about how they sound. Otogi-san, I would recommend these guys but I doubt a song called "Felonies of the Christian Art" would go over too well with your parents.

[b]Trivium -[/b] The hardcore-ish vocalist can get a bit annoying, and those uneducated in metal might hear just the singer and think it punk, but these guys are straight up death metal. They have wonderful guitar licks as well as some of the coolest metal moments, like this bit towards the end in "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation" off of the Ascendancy album. You'd have to hear it, because it's hard to describe, but it kicks *** when it happens.

[b]Opeth -[/b] What can I say that will do justice to Opeth? Nothing, but I can try. Take Tool, mix it with a whole lot of melodic death metal, some discordant acoustic guitars, and perhaps the barest smattering of Dimmu, and you have Opeth. [i]Get Opeth right now.[/i]

[b]American Head Charge -[/b] These guys are pretty awesome. "Loyalty," off of The Feeding, is a truly awesome song, and the video is sweet too. Fedoras + Evil Nurse Clowns + Insane Asylum + Awesome Song = Very Yes.

[b]Fear Factory -[/b] I haven't [i]really[/i] listened to that much of these guys, but I do know that they have some of the most precise guitar?double bass pedal synchronization I've heard.

When I get more metal from Jake, I'll let you know about any other ones.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Metal is a genre where great beat-lines or rhythm isn't required to make good music. Some bands do, some don't.

For example. Put Slipknot next to In Flames. Slipknot, they've got drums and guitars and screaming all over the place, but they produce awesome music by it. In Flames, have awesome beat-lines and an awesome rhythm to every song they have. And the music is also awesome. Everything is awesome... awesome. :smoke:

Do you know what I mean?

That is the whole reason all these sub-genres are emerging in metal. All the **** like "thrash metal" and "speed metal" and "haardcore"... What the hell is the go with it all. All the different kinds of rhythm and beats you hear in metal music, makes people think the whole genre needs to be more layed-out for them. Metal is metal. Heavy metal. None of this ******** "gothic" and "thrash" categories. It's all nothing. It all means jack. It just makes the metal genre more complicated than what it should be. And it's stupid.

You want some metal? Here you go.

Killswitch Engage
Mudvayne
Slipknot
Opeth
Throwdown
Trivium
In Flames
Pain (recommend to anyone and everyone)
Fear Factory
Poison The Well
Eighteen Visions
System Of A Down
Children Of Bodom
Powerman 5000

There are some bands that have the capability of creating heavy metal music, but some of the music they've produced isn't as heavy as what they are capable of. You get that...? Such as. [b]The Union Underground[/b], [b]KoRn[/b], [b]Disturbed[/b], and [b]Spineshank[/b]. They produce the best music, my favourite kind of music. Metal has all the traits of these bands, just generally a bit heavier.

Juke Box and Kamuro, your words have made me smile and feel happy! I'm glad to be respected so. And the answer to Juke Box's question is: the way to get knowlagable is to a) do your research. Find websites and books about metal. It's a blast to read about, and it all makes more sense that way. b) Play the music! If you don't already play guitar or bass or drums or something, pick one up (I suggest elecric guitar :animesmil ). Learning the techniques on your own makes the entire world of metal easier to understand. c) Spend time talking to fellow metalheads! This thread, for example, is a great place to learn and teach stuff. Most metalheads are just brimming with excitement to share any bit of information and lend any helping hand about anything about metal.

Most of what I know has been picked up from just being around it all the time. Metal is something I'm truly, truly passionate about (as you may have noticed :animeswea ), and I listen to it all the time. Constantly expanding my musical horizons has helped a lot too; listen to lots of folk and classical music. Metal tends to have very similar song structures as folk and classical. Listen to lots of different metal too. It's definately a world in and of itself. You'll find that as your taste matures, you'll start liking more and more types. For example, up until about three or four weeks ago, I hated black metal. Now I love it! It just took time to ease into the style, understand it's roots, and find the right bands to get me into it. Most of my knowlege doesn't come from books (so I guess that makes me a badass? :D lol awesome, I love you), it comes from the people and bands.

If you do want a good resource to get you started, though, try the book [B]Sound of the Beast: the Headbanging History of Heavy Metal[/B] by Ian Christe. It's a great comprehensive look at metal's history (and a smattering of punk). I strongly suggest it.

I like metal, good ****. my favorite group is Slipknot, followed by Rammstein and System of a Down.
Working on a group of my own, we are going to mixe rapping lyrics and metal lyrics with metal sound (and for all the anti-rap people, quit stereotyping rap as hoes and rims, and no i do not just like rap because i am black)
right now are name is pending: either
Insane Sanity
Sane Insanity
or Slit Throats(no, we are not satanic, in fact one of our members is a christian :animesmil and the rest are athiest)

Fall, the reason people worry about subgenres is, [I]again[/I], because metal is just way too broad to fit under one name. For example, Rhapsody and Cannibal Corpse are both metal bands, but they sound completely, totally, and utterly different. That's why we call Rhapsody "Symphonic Power Metal" and Cannibal Corpse "Brutal Death Metal". It makes tons of sense. It seems to me you just don't want to take the time and effort to learn about the different types. Bands like Korn and Spineshank, for example, actually have a genre, not just "...?" like you say. It's called Nu-Metal (which really isn't metal at all, it's kind of it's own genre entirely). Another reason subgenres are important is if you're trying to describe a group to someone. If you were trying to tell someone what Children of Bodom sounds like, for example, you'd have to say "...really fast guitar playing, it's melodic but at the same time it's heavy, there's keyboards that at times are felt but not heard, and at times form the frontal melody, the vocals are kind of growly/screamy type, the drums are blah blah blah blah" and it would be difficult to get what you're saying across. If you said to me "they're a Blackened Power Metal band", I'd have an idea of what they sound like. Look, just because you don't like or understand it doesn't make the concept stupid.

Rhym, I'm glad you liked the tunes I gave you yesterday! I [I]told[/I] you Old Man's Child would change your mind about black metal forever! And Dark Tranquillity seemed like your kind of thing so I threw them in, and I can see it paid off.

By the way, everyone should check out the "Lords of the Underground Tour" (or something like that) this summer. It features like 15 or so bands, a couple of which are Strapping Young Lad, Chimaira, Throwdown, Lamb of God, and *gasp* OPETH! And that's just to name a few! It should be totally amazing, especially since Opeth is playing.

I also discovered a great band for fans of Chimaira who want a little more technical riffng. They're called BLEED THE SKY and they're hella awesome. They sound a hell of a lot like Chimaira, like I said, but the riffs are more technical and melodic. Try 'em out. It's good stuff.

P.S. Akari, I like the name Sane Insanity best of the three you listed, followed by Slit Throats, and I liked Insane Sanity the least.

Alot of people dont cosider my favorite band Metal but they are considered and classified into the metal catagory. This is some of my favorite metal bands from favorite to least.

1: Tool
2: Trivium
3: Chimaira
4: Opeth
5: System Of A Down
6: Children Of Bodom
7: Lamb Of God
8: Slipknot
9: Mudvayne
10: Fear Factory

I love Metal music sometimes its mellow ( Tool ) and sometimes it just kicks the crap out of you ( Slipknot ) but good none the less.

Nice list! And Tool is metal (progressive [prog] metal). Not only that, but they're absolutely incredible!

Speaking of music that kicks the sh1t out of you, does anyone here listen to [B]Nile[/B]? Holy crap... words cannot describe the sheer brutality and pure awesomeness of this band. Not only is is brutal, but they somehow manage to make it sound Egyptian as well! They're definately one of the best Technical/Brutal Death Metal bands I've heard in a long time. Plus they have song titles such as "Dusk Falls Upon the Temple of the Serpent on the Mount of Sunrise", "Destruction of the Temple of the Enemies of Ra", and my personal favorite "Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Cresent Shaped Horns". What a name for a song! All their lyrics are based off lore taken straight from Egyptian mythology. They go straight to the sources - the actual books, texts, heiroglyphics, etc. - to write their words. The booklets to their latest two albums (I'm not sure about the first because I've never seen the leaflet) has a detailed history of the lore behind the lyrics of each and every song. It's incredible.

I guess I will put together a list of my top ten bands for right now (this list changes pretty much every week, but here it goes:

1. Children of Bodom
2. In Flames
3. Opeth
4. Kalmah
5. Bloodbath
7. Nightwish
8. At the Gates
9. Nile
10. 3 Inches of Blood

Like I said, that will probably change by tomorrow, but it's what I'm feelin' at the moment.

By the way, if'n you kids are lookin' for some good ol' insane, bone crushing, heavier-than-your-house Deathcore, check out the [B]Acacia Strain[/B]. I suggest the songs "Passing the Pencil Test" and "Sun Poinson and Skin Cancer". Good stuff.

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this, but I wouldn't consider Slipknot to be metal. Don't get me wrong, there's a very special place in my heart for the 'Knot! It's just more Nu-Metal than Metal, ya know? And Nu-Metal isn't true metal, it's sort of a seperate genre unto itself.

And just because of Aenigma, here's a little "kick the sh1t out of you" metal list:

The Acacia Strain
Nile
Mortician
Cannibal Corpse
Dimension Zero
Krisiun
The Black Dahlia Murder

Have fun guys! STAY HEAVY! \m/ (>.<) \m/

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Fall, the reason people worry about subgenres is, [i]again[/i], because metal is just way too broad to fit under one name. For example, Rhapsody and Cannibal Corpse are both metal bands, but they sound completely, totally, and utterly different. That's why we call Rhapsody "Symphonic Power Metal" and Cannibal Corpse "Brutal Death Metal". It makes tons of sense. It seems to me you just don't want to take the time and effort to learn about the different types. Bands like Korn and Spineshank, for example, actually have a genre, not just "...?" like you say. It's called Nu-Metal (which really isn't metal at all, it's kind of it's own genre entirely). Another reason subgenres are important is if you're trying to describe a group to someone. If you were trying to tell someone what Children of Bodom sounds like, for example, you'd have to say "...really fast guitar playing, it's melodic but at the same time it's heavy, there's keyboards that at times are felt but not heart, and at times form the frontal melody, the vocals are kind of growly/screamy type, the drums are blah blah blah blah" and it would be difficult to get what you're saying across. If you said to me "they're a Blackened Power Metal band", I'd have an idea of what they sound like. Look, just because you don't like or understand it doesn't make the concept stupid.
[/QUOTE]Alright. Obviously we've got different opinions here.

I don't like the categorizing. You do. Simple. The reason I think it's stupid, is because there's the other half of the group of people that are unlike you, that won't take the time to learn 30+ genres and sub-genres, just so they know what type of music their favourite band plays. There's the heavy stuff, there's the middle, and there's the soft stuff. I have never met anyone in my life that has more categories for his type of music than his age.

That's the reason I said it's stupid. That's just my opinion. I'm running on my opinion. And I'm not going to think all this is "not stupid" just because everyone here [i]does[/i] categorize their music into genres. I've given you a reason why I think it's stupid. It's a valid reason. I didn't say that because [i]I[/i] think it's stupid, it [i]is[/i] stupid. I honestly thought I explained myself well enough in my previous post. And I didn't categorize KoRn and the like as "...?". "...?" was the end of a sentence. A figure of speech. ;)

I don't mean to start a huge all-in brawling debate over this, so I'm goin'.

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]well, first off, Nile=crazy lol

There is definitely several different sub-genres, as you guys call them, concerning metal. I also use them to sometimes describe the types of music I listen to. I don't really like the slow progressive kind of metal, tool for example. If I listen to metal, its for the hardcore screaming, massive guitar rifts and breakdowns, and the incredible head-banging music I've come to love. If I wanted something mellow and relazing, then I'd listen to acoustic music, which I also love.

Point is, there is so many different types of music out there so its basically pointless to try to categorize each of them differently. Some of the music I've heard is basically undescribable, and you just can't understand until you've heard it, just how good it is. I mean, theres so many words I could use, but not one would do the band justice. I'm sure you guys have some bands like this as well.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Hey, Fall, no worries! I was just backing up my side. It's not a brawl. I'm actually glad you have a differing opinion so we can debate on it. I probably did come across a little harsh (because a) I'm a little over-the-top passionate about this and b) I was in a very bad mood to begin with when I responded). I apologize for that. And I definately see your point. You don't have to memorize 30+ subgenres, just enough so that you can tell the difference between Death Metal and Power Metal. That kind of thing, you know?

And Kamuro, I definately agree with you that there is uncatagorizable music out there (for example, I have no flippin' clue how to catagorize System of a Down). I don't try to catagorize those bands. I just do it with groups that belong to a certain genre for sure.

And yes, Nile does = crazy! \m/

I'm going to be listening to Nile in a few minutes on the radio. I have high expectations from hearing all your opinions on them. ;)

I don't have much to add to the topic right now since I've been trying to finish most of my schoolwork up, so I haven't been able to listen to that much. Hopefully I'll find a good CD online to listen to.

Just listened to some GWAR. Mmm, GWAR. :tasty:

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Hey, Fall, no worries! I was just backing up my side. It's not a brawl. I'm actually glad you have a differing opinion so we can debate on it. I probably did come across a little harsh (because a) I'm a little over-the-top passionate about this and b) I was in a very bad mood to begin with when I responded). I apologize for that. And I definately see your point. You don't have to memorize 30+ subgenres, just enough so that you can tell the difference between Death Metal and Power Metal. That kind of thing, you know?[/quote]Hey fair enough, I just thought you were having a big go at me so I stood my ground. Sorry man.

I've heard of GWAR before, I've actually got a song by them on my MP3 player. "Sick Of You". Don't really like it, but yeah.

I'm actually starting to look a bit into Shadows Fall. I've heard them before, "What Drives The Weak" is an awesome song. I was going to get a few songs by them, I haven't got 'round to it yet.

[SIZE=1]Shadows Fall is a bit more my speed. I love the Hardcore aspect of metal. Although I love screaming and immense breakdowns, I like singing as well. A lot of the bands I like are a combination of the two. Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, etc. If this is what you're into you should definitely check out some of the bands on purevolume. Some bands aren't even signed yet they sound amazing.

[url]www.purevolume.com/allmyheroes/[/url]

thats a link you can use to listen to a band I like a lot. Its not incredible metalish like some of the other bands, but its really good. If you're looking for more bands like this just ask. I seem to promote purevolume a lot, but I can't really help it lol. Its an amazing site, and you can listen to thousands of bands for free. Check it out and tell me what you think. I'm actually on it if anyones interested *winks*[/SIZE]

Yeah, sorry about that, Fall.

As far as Shadows Fall goes, it's great stuff indeed. Although I wouldn't call it hardcore, because there's waaaaayyy too much Metal stuff going on for that (Metal and Hardcore are seperate genres [Hardcore isn't a subgenre, it's a full-on genre]). They have great breakdowns though (Metal can have breakdowns too!). I think I like War Within best, but Art of Balance is a great album as well. Art of Balance seems to be the most experimental, creative, and advanced musically.

And Otogi-san, if you're trying Nile, know that they are usually an aquired taste. Here's some suggested songs to get you started:

Album:
[U][B]In Their Darkened Shrines[/B][/U]
"The Blessed Dead"
"Execration Text"
"The Winds of Horus"

Album:
[U][B]Annhiliation of the Wicked[/B][/U]
"Sacrifice Unto Sebek"
"The Burning Pits of the Duat"
"Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Crescent Shaped Horns"

I hope you enjoy them, 'cuz I sure do!

By the way, another great band that mixes growling/screaming with singing is Into Eternity. They mix Death Metal with the occasional Progressive Metal element and it works out beautifully. Check out the songs "Embraced by Desolation", "3 Dimensional Aperture", and "Beginning of the End". Kamuro, you should check out "Beginning of the End", as it starts right off with a pretty cool breakdown, and then later on in the song (approx. 1:32 into it), the vocalist actually sings over a breakdown, and it sounds amazing! I've never heard a band pull that off before.

Has anyone here heard of Within Temptation? I think they're a great band, and the vocalist has an absolutely beautiful voice (female).

Has anyone seen Machine Head on tour yet? I'd like to hear how that went. I absolutely love Machine Head (anyone else with me here?), but I'm not going to be able to catch their concert in SLC on Monday. I just want to know what some of the songs they played were and stuff like that.

A little debate to start here: Pain or Hypocricy? Both bands are awesome, and they share the same frontman (I can't remember his name for the life of me, though). I'm just wondering which band seems to be more popular here. I'm gonna have to vote for Hypocricy here.

Hey Rhym, on Dark Tranqullity's [I]Damage Done[/I] album (the one I gave you just a while back), what did you think of the song "Hours Passed in Exile"? I flippin' LOVE that song!

By the way Kaka--- I mean, Kamuro ;), I checked out All My Heroes. I wasn't too stoked on them, but I don't like the Emo/Post-Hardcore style very much. I do have to say that within their style, they are very good. I definately respect it, I just don't enjoy it very much. It's all good - music rocks. \m/ (>,<) \m/

Hey guys, sorry to post twice in a row, but this was too classic to not put up! It's a quote from an editorial written by "Sargon the Terrible" for [URL=http://www.metalcrypt.com]Metal Crypt[/URL]. To read the full editorial (and I suggest you do, it's a fun read and it made me laugh out loud a couple times), just click the link and then click the first editorial (titled "Metal Only").

[QUOTE]And why does all this matter? Why do I care so much about what is and is not Metal? Because I have to. Somebody has to, or we just let in all the jock-rap date-rapist Mallcore jackoffs with their shaved heads and their baggy shirts, the goth queers with their ennui and sneering, the metalcore/hardcore losers with their monotonous screaming. If we don't keep the ramparts clear, we are just admitting those guys are not only just as good as we are, but that we are the same. Back in the 80s we all had to put up with glam idiots being touted as 'Metal', and we had to fight to keep them out. Then in the 90s it was the grunge wave, and we were all so 'open-minded' we just let them come in and trample all over everything and sh1t on the porch, and everything just went to Hell. It matters because if we don't fight to keep that sh1t out, it will get out of hand and take over, and everyone will think that fairy cockshit is the music we love. It's the reason we swear allegiance to metal, why we toil in the underground so hard to get the word out. Metal is the fucl
YES! That's so awesome! Basically what he's saying is that Nu-Metal is kind of like Glam and Grunge were in the 80s and 90s. They claim to be metal, but they're really not. He says a couple times in the article that if that's the music you want to make, that's fine, just [I]don't call it metal[/I]! You know, bands like Korn and Slipknot and Marilyn Manson, that music is just fine, but it's not metal, and people need to stop claiming that it is.

One more little thing. What's everyone's favorite female-fronted Metal band? I've been really listening to lots of metal with female vocals lately (I mean singing, Arch Enemy doesn't count! ;) ), and I wanted to see what everyone thought. It's a hard descision for me - my choices are After Forever, Singergy, Theatre of Tragedy, Nightwish, and Within Temptation. That's a real tough one... I can't choose one! Maybe after you guys post your stuff, you could tell me which group you like best of the aforementioned bands.

So just post your message with whatever you were going to talk about, then at the bottom include a short paragraph about your choice of female fronted metal, and if you want, an opinion on one of the five that I listed. Thanks guys!

[U][I][B]STAY HEAVY![/B][/I][/U]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Jake of Bodom']You know, bands like Korn and Slipknot and Marilyn Manson, that music is just fine, but it's not metal.[/quote]
Neither KoRn or Marilyn Manson classify themselves as metal. They both prefer to slot themselves into hard-rock, and KoRn has publicly distanced itself from the metal scene on more than one occasion.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yes, and I realize this. But many, many, many people claim they're metal. I don't blame the bands for this. It's just very frutrating. And like Sargon said, the reason it matters so much is that I feel a need to defend the music I love. It's important to me that people realize that stuff isn't the music I adore so much.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
A little debate to start here: Pain or Hypocricy? Both bands are awesome, and they share the same frontman (I can't remember his name for the life of me, though). I'm just wondering which band seems to be more popular here. I'm gonna have to vote for Hypocricy here.
[/QUOTE]Hypocricy? I've never heard of them. I love Pain and they're music. They're awesome. Mainly because I can honestly say I have never heard of any heavy music that's influenced by trance. Pain's "Close My Eyes" and "Parallel To Ecstacy", aswell as "The Third Wave" and "On And On" are just a few of their best songs ever. These songs really show what they're capable of.

I've never heard of Hypocricy. What are they like? Similar to Pain? If they are I'm definately up for checking out their music.

Guest yezzy91
Hey! I know this is a forum about Metal but even though I don't really listen to a lot of metal I thought it would be cool to check it out. My friend is a bass player in a metal band and they already have a demo out. So yeah just thought I would check this out cuz it sounded pretty cool. Don't know if I'm making any sense but yeah. lol. Well I have nothing more to say....bye. *waves*

~Yezi~ :D

...ok... lol!

So anyway, has anyone heard "Mother Earth" by Within Temptation? I can't get that song out of my head! It's amazing!

Also, any other At the Gates fans here? They are one of the most incredible death metal bands of all times, and influenced bands like In Flames and Nightrage (I actually think Nightrage containes an ex-At the Gates band member or something).

And while I'm on the topic of Death Metal, I've got something to say:

KATAKLYSM.

These guys put out one of the most pleasant surprises of 2004, the album Serenity in Fire. It's great! It's one solid Death song after another! I enjoy it from back to front every listen. Awesome stuff. They also have some great songs on the previous album, Shados & Dust (I'm talking about "Face the Face of War" and "Where the Enemy Sleeps" of course!). Just wondering if anyone's with me here.

Until then, stay heavy!