OtakuBoards

A Pokemon Adventure [PG]

Kanata

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=1]I realized that Pokemon isn't as popular as it used to be. But with your help I would like to create a successful, fun, exciting Pokemon RPG.

I was going to try and make it 3-9 participants and basically it would be us all starting in the same place but choosing our own adventure. I will add events such as Team Rocket, Legendary Pokemon and so on. There would be a few rules to be followed aswell, you start with one pokemon and when you wish to catch a pokemon, PM myself with the Subject as something like 'Pokemon Battle: So-and-so!' and we would play out the battle through Private Messages and I would tell you if you caught me or not. Don't worry, I will be very easy-going about this and the battles won't last long. ( For shorter battles you could catch me on MSN and do it with me there. )

But anyways.. Those are some of my ideas. What do you all think? Would you join? t needs much work so all comments are appreciated. Also, could any of you point out some successful Pokemon RPGs that have been on the OtakuBoards?

Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a good idea of what to do for the RPG and I will start it. But the best part will be is you had a part in making it![/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Count me in as well. Dont forget nate I helped with most of your RPGS! I remember quite well the Aventures of Hope and Shinobi went for quite a while... Then i remember i carried it on with Aurora. So anyways..

I do think the PM or msn idea is a bit off. Most people are on a different times and i think it would be silly for someone to stay up till 3 in their morning to catch you in the middle of your evening or day. Some people live in completely different countries and timezones.

Also... The story should have a more solid plot. Not just everyone goes on their own adventure. If people split up to be one person per group... Well It makes it not so fun to play an rpg alone like that. If the groups were 2 or more it might be alright. Like pairings based on their goal as a trsainer (pokemon master, gymleader, collecter and so on)

As for the catching pokemon thing... Well doing it through pms kind of kills the reason to have an rpg. Sure they could pm you and ask if they could catch something but I dont exactly think thebattle and catching should be done through pm or msn. I mean one part I love about pokemon rpgs is reading other peoples (and writing my own) battles... Be it with wild pokemon or other trainers.

Ok... I think i have completely rammbled my into insanity. Ill just copy nate and say THROW me in...

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]I'd be game. I'm a pokemon fan (yes, still.. >_<), so Pokemon RPGs are always a fun thing for me. ^_~

While Frankie and Nate don't seem too happy about the PM thing, I think it'd be interesting. New ways of playing RPGs are always fun to experiment with. But Frankie, even though people do live in different places all over the world with different time zones, that doesn't mean that they [i]have[/i] to catch her over MSN. That's what PMs are for. And they aren't live conversations. The only downside is that it might take a long time. >_<

Other than that, this sounds like fun. x3[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I agree with you there Kitty... I just momentarilly forgot abou the whole PM not a live chat thing. Most of the time i never use and and when i DO use the pm system i alkways get instant answers (apparently i pm people when they are online or they get notices and come running)

I said most ofthat because I am not to open with well... New things but... Scratch what i said before. Im willin g to try something new. Just so long as the Mods agree its alright to go about it that way.

Anyways... So far there are three in the go for it!

I'm willing to join as well. I'm still currently tring to find my rpg that works well wiht me so I need to join as many as possible to see what kinds I excell at. So count me in. And Kitty, theirs nothing wrong with still liking pokemon, I still do, and my ex-girlfirend still does.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][Color=SlateGray]Kanata,

Well, I have not Role Played in along time. Although, it will be a pleasure Role Playing with a Pokemon character. So, you may count me in. I would have never thought about the Private Messaging to catch a Pokemon. That problem occured to me during my Role Play's. On another note, great job figuring new things out.[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkRed]Sure, I'd love to join. It's been forever since I RP'd Pokemon. I don't think I like the idea of PM when it comes to catching other Pokemon, though. Like some of the others said, writing out your own battles is fun. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]The only thing I need to know is what season/area are we in. My RP characters revolve mainly around Johto and new Kanto regions because she always winds up with a Houndoom and Typhlosion as partners. If it's the original series, that's fine as well, but I need to know so I can make adjustments. PM me when you all agree on when to start.[/COLOR] :catgirl:

[color=#333333][size=1]Well this is great! So far, I have a ncie background story and a few events to happen. From small ones, a Bug Catching Contest, to big ones, Team Rocket kidnaps a Gym Leader. So that'll work out well if everything goes as planned.

Also, I decided to take out the PM Battle thing. Too many of you said it wasn't a good idea so I'll take it out. But what I will be doing is when you enter a battle, I want you to post the battle, and depending on what I think, I'll tell you if you caught the Pokemon or not. It'll be much easier this way. Example:

[quote]
[size=1]Red walked quietly through the forest, not to disturb any Pokemon. He wondered sometimes if he would [i]ever[/i] catch a Pokemon. That's when it hit him.

A Caterpie just flew out of nowhere and bumped right into him. It scrambled to it's feet and took revuge behind Red's leg. Red turned around and saw that there was a Kid there. He looked maybe 10 years old. He had a large straw hat and a butterfly net. His clothes were in very poor condition and had many holes. He didn't even have shoes.

"Gimme that Pokemon!" yelled the boy. He was furious. Red looked at him, seeming very disturbed by the fact that the boy was trying to catch Pokemon with a net.

"Why should I? Catching Pokemon with a net is pretty cruel don't you think?" said Red. The boy looked at him confused.

"No! You don't understand! I already [i]own[/i] that Caterpie. He just ran away! I want him back!" This just made things worse.

"Then I [i]deffinately[/i] won't give him to you!" said Red. "He's running away for a good reason I'm assuming."

The boy stopped to think for a second. Then two words is was started it all.

"Pokemon Battle." The boy took off two Pokeballs from his belt and through it in the air. "Go, Kakunas, go!" he yelled.

"So whoever wins gets the Caterpie, eh? Deal!" And with that Red unclipped his only two Pokeballs from his belt and through it on the ground. "Go! Torchic! Charmander!" shouted Red.

The battle commenced. It was two on two and pretty one sided. Kakunas can barely move let alone attack so they just sat there the whole fight. The fact that they were Grass/Poison and Red's pokemon were both Fire didn't help the Bug Catcher much either. Charmander and Cyndaquil jumped, flipping diagonally and got an Ember on both Kakunas. it was pretty much a Knock-Out from the beginning. The Bug Catcher had lost. What a shame.

"Looks like you lost tough boy." proclaimed the now cocky Red. The boy looked at him and threw the Caterpies empty Pokeball to Red then left in a rush. Red threw the Pokeball onto Caterpie to capture it. Since it would only make sense because returning it would be cheating.

The Pokeball rumbled a bit..[/size][/quote]

After a post like that. Because of the great creativity in it instead of just a Pokemon appears, they battle, and it's done. I would say yes. You catch it. In a PM and you can either edit the post or make a new one, continuing from the last.

So what do you all think? Is it okay?[/color][/size]

If you ask me, the simpler the better. I'd reccommend that you yourself play no part in the actual catching. I know I wouldn't want to wait for you to tell me if I caught a Pokemon or not, plus some peoples' wrighting styles might not be what you like, which predisposes to towards saying that the Pokemon was not caught. Of course, I've learned firsthand the need for some regulation, because some people go a bit nuts wiout regulation, especially newbies. So, I reccommend restricting the types of Pokemon that can be caught. And you don't need to do any work. Just go by the games (unless this RPG takes place in a new region). If you can catch it in an area in the game, you can in your RPG.

Here, I'll give you an example. Say our characters arre all in Mt. Moon. they would find a lot of Zubat, as well as some Geodude, Clefairy, and a few others (I don't remember every Pokemon that appears in Mt Moon), but nothing that doesn't appear in Nt. Moon in any of the games. Now, you'd need to create those restrictions yourself for a new region, but you could always just say something like "In this area, you can catch any Pokemon that appears in Mt. Moon." That's what i'd do, at least.

[QUOTE=Takuya][size=1]If you ask me, the simpler the better. I'd reccommend that you yourself play no part in the actual catching. I know I wouldn't want to wait for you to tell me if I caught a Pokemon or not, plus some peoples' wrighting styles might not be what you like, which predisposes to towards saying that the Pokemon was not caught. Of course, I've learned firsthand the need for some regulation, because some people go a bit nuts wiout regulation, especially newbies. So, I reccommend restricting the types of Pokemon that can be caught. And you don't need to do any work. Just go by the games (unless this RPG takes place in a new region). If you can catch it in an area in the game, you can in your RPG.

Here, I'll give you an example. Say our characters arre all in Mt. Moon. they would find a lot of Zubat, as well as some Geodude, Clefairy, and a few others (I don't remember every Pokemon that appears in Mt Moon), but nothing that doesn't appear in Nt. Moon in any of the games. Now, you'd need to create those restrictions yourself for a new region, but you could always just say something like "In this area, you can catch any Pokemon that appears in Mt. Moon." That's what i'd do, at least.[/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=#333333]The only thing I worry about is members who will go a bit nutty with the catching thing. Like they will [i]never[/i] lose a battle. Or they will [i]always[/i] catch the Pokemon.

And I have already decided that I wouldn't be posting as a character. Just as events and such.[/size][/color]

Well, first off, I'll admit that, in the Pokemon RPGs I've done, characters basically never fail to catch Pokemon. However, participants aren't having their characters catch Pkemon after Pokemon. Battles with wild Pokemon are normally not too common, as having too many can make things take way too long, or even add a lot of confusion to an RPG (I speak from experience here). Ommiting failed attempts to catch Pokemon helps reduce the number of battles with wild Pokemon, thus allowing for more rapid progression through the plot (not many people like to go for pages without anything important happening). However, it would be simple to mention failed attempts in a post without discribing them (something like a character saying something like, "I had to try five times before managing to catch one of those"). As for characters catching too many Pokemon, well, if you feel that a person's character is catching too many Pokemon, it would be your job, as the creator of the RPG, to inform that person that his/her character is catching too many Pokemon.

Now, on to your decision not to have a character of your own. That is a very bad idea. That type of thing never works out (I'm speaking from experience again). It's hard to point out exactly why it doesn't work, but every RPG I've been in where the creator doesn't have his/her own character has failed as a direct result of that decision. Trust me, it's much easier to manage an RPG when you have a character of your own. If your worried that your character might come across as too important or too skilled or something like that, PM me and I'll give you some advice. Actually, no matter what your reason is, I could probably help you, so why don't you tell me why you made that decision?