OtakuBoards

Can you admire someone and dislike the person at the same time?

[color=darkviolet] And if so, who do you both admire and dislike?

I got to thinking of this question a few minutes ago while trying to think of another thread to start. Is it possible to have both disdain and awe in the same thought of a person? Okay, maybe disdain is too strong a word. But it's still a good one.

The reason I'm wondering this is because today President G.W. Bush visited my area for a grand total of 2hrs and 20 mins. I really don't like the guy. He's too far removed from the regular people, he doesn't undwerstand the concept of separating church and state and his idea to reform Social Security blows, but he's still a real person. And some people really [i]really[/i] hate him. If people protested me everytime I went somewhere I'd never leave the house. Yet he gets up every morning and goes out while knowing people are going to yell things at him. So that's why I admire the guy. It doesn't mean I've become a republican or a fan of the Bush administartion I'd never invite him over for dinner, but I don't have as strong of a hatred as I did back in 2000.

So, there's my question and answer. Share yours.[/color]

It seems plausible enough to like a person for somethings, but dislike them for others. I suppose the answer is yes. As to who, I once had a music teacher who, as it was her first time teaching, she had very little experience. She had us practice the same peice of music for half a year for one concert, then only gave us a week for another. Her incompetence and inexperience got to me many times. However, even though she had little control over the classroom, she kept trying and was determined to do her best, and was even able to except her follies and except advice from us. So yes, it must be possible, as there are already two instances, but whethere or not its common remains to be seen...

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR="#993366"][b]
It is most definately possible to like and dislike someone at the same time. A great example for me would be well, to be honest, my sister. I admire her only because she's confident and she's always the first one to do things before everyone else. She's also independent and can be really generous sometimes. One time she took me to a concert with her to see N.E.R.D and has offered me and my friends rides. But then again, I really dislike my sister.

She's rude. Abnoxious. Majority of the time she's not nice to me and still tries to beat me up. She's loud. She calls me a crybaby even when I'm not crying and splurs insults at me. She's too blunt with things that should be kept quiet when you just want to say shut up already. She also acts like a 12 year old kid, seriously, its true. Its almost as if she's the teenagers and I'm the adult. But oh well. She's my sister so I'm stuck with her right? It's a complicated relationship. But theres an example for you.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Hmm, I admire my big sister's intelligence, but I dislike her lack of maturity. :huh: She's suppose to be MY BIG sister, yet sometimes I feel that I'm the mature one. :animeswea I gets annoying especially when I'm the hard-working one who gets a "C" and she's SSSOOOO LAZY!!! And she gets an "A+"!!! ARGH!!!! :flaming: So ANNOYING!! But there are times when we get a long despite her lack of. :angel: And times like those is when I need a break from the world and just have immature fun...

of course it is possible.

i admire people, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

for example, lets take bill gates.

i admire him carving out a computer empire, and almost cornering the computer market, but that doesn't mean i have to like him (in fact i've never met him, so i can't say)

[SIZE=1]I think you [B]can[/B] admire a characteristic of a person, but you can't admire [B]and[/B] dislike a person as a person. If that made any sense. >_>

For example, Dante said that they admire Gates' action of making the computer empire, but he doesn't admire who Gates is as a person.[/SIZE]

On the subject of Mr Gates: he has always come across as an okay fellow to me, so I guess I admire him and like him, despite the fact that the Xbox 360 is the ugliest god damn thing on Earth.

It's entirely possible to admire certain aspects of some one while disliking them in general. Condoleezza Rice goes against a great deal of what I stand for, but I admire the fact that a woman, also a visible minority, was able to become such a powerful political figure, in a white-male dominated country.
Similarly, I used to hate Belinda Stronach because she was a Torie, but I always admired the fact that she was so damn powerful. (Now that she's come over to the Light Side, I can admire her and like her.) I especially admire the fact that she's refrained from making any mean-spirited comments towards the Conservative Party, despite the recent wave of sexist garbage they've been spewing.

I believe you can admire and dislike someone at the same time For example: Inuyasha, I admire him because he has had a hard life because of humans but still goes out of his way to help them. I dislike him because he is so immature and rude. And I know he's a fictional character but thats what first came to my mind.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It's definitely possible.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Here's my example:[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]There was this kid named Josh that used to skate with me and my brother and our group of friends-- He was one of the best skateboarders I have ever seen, and I admired his natural talent quite a bit.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]But he was such a complete jerk to everyone-- and especially to his mother (who was a wonderful woman and a "Supermom") that I could no longer stand to be around him. So I quit skating with him.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]A few years later, I found out that he had raped my friend on a number of occcasions while the two of them were dating.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]So-- as much as I admired his talent as a skateboarder, I couldn't tolerate him as a person.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]There have actually been a number of people in my life that I both admired and abhorred simultaneously.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I would think it's a pretty common experience all around. *shrugs*[/font][/b]

It's definitely possible. I admire Bill Clinton. He was a great president. A bad person, maybe, but a great president. I don't really like him, on a personal level, but I admire his political prowess and his ability to talk his way out of trouble.

Courtney Love.
Great rockstar, bad (and I mean [i]bad[/i]) parent.
With all the drugs, custody battles, and law suits, it's easy to judge her. But as I said before, she's a great rockstar. I don't really listen to her music (I only like two of her songs), but I feel some respect for her as a musician.

You CAN admire and dislike someone at the same time.

There is this boy named Kai in my class, my history class to be exact. He had some really good views on things, but since I sat close to him, he said some things that I didn't really like. Such as things about sex, alchohol, and drugs and I don't really appreciate trying to listen to the teacher and hear about how they almost had sex with so-and-so last night.

It's easily possible that you can admire and hate somone at the same time.

I'd say this goes best for Hitler. Let's face it, he convinced all of Germany, Italy, and Japan to take on the rest of the world, while his army was completely limited due to the Treaty of Versaillie (SP?) and they damn nearly beat us. I hate him because he killed millions and sort of went mental. NONTHELESS! He was an admirable speaker. I think that his generals deserve more praise than Hitler himself though.

I agree with Godlesensei, Belinda Stronach was really brave to cross over to the Liberals, knowing what the Right-wingers would do to her. Just glad she saw the light in time to save Martin's government. We need anything but an election in this country...

[color=blue]I would definitely say it's possible. My example of this would be the entire Madden series of video games. This example, while it isn't admiring and disliking a [i]person[/i] still falls into this category. I have never liked the series itself at all but I'm still in awe at how well they put together the game and how well it actually does play. So even shifting the subject slightly from people to games (or anything else you want to throw in really), I would still say it's possible.[/color]