OtakuBoards

Would you risk your life for something you don't believe in?

sakurasuka

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]This is reffering to war, but can mean what you take it to mean. It seems to me there are people that would simply risk thier lives to fight for a cause they don't agree with. Would you? Would you fight for the honor of your country, even if you didn't agree with the fight?

Personally, I despise was of any kind. If someone attacks us, then war is necesary, but when it's not we need not fight, in my opinion. Don't fight when there's nothing to gain.

In the end, is glory what you do with your life, or how you die?

The 'right' thing to do is all a matter of perspective. I am currently writting an essay on the difference between the male and female mind when it comes to war. I did an ononymous poll, and I got many answers I would not believe. 8 out of 10 men from the age of 16-19 would be willing to fight for a cause they don't believe in. The other 20% were those who stated war is wrong in any aspect, or they didn't agree with war for the most part, or similar answers. When I personally interviewed the same 20 people, the ones who stated they would fight for a cause they didn't believe in went from 8 (In 10) to 3 (In 10). Thier excuse for not wanting to were honorable answers, but not the truth. Why would they lie after I already have the statistics? What did they have to gain? I ask you, what do YOU think?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Even if they don't agree with the war itself, maybe they agree with money, military benefits, medals, and an experience that they won't find in too many other places.

I'm a bit more of an idealist, I won't help fight a war that I don't agree with. But a lot of other people look at things in a different light.

[QUOTE=Bloodseeker]Even if they don't agree with the war itself, maybe they agree with money, military benefits, medals, and an experience that they won't find in too many other places.

I'm a bit more of an idealist, I won't help fight a war that I don't agree with. But a lot of other people look at things in a different light.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Some wars and fights are needed in life. Even if they seem to be horrible or a waste of money the ideal and reason for them is pure. I get kinda irritated when people are like, "End The War!" or try to get sympathy for stuff like that. When someone enters the military or army they should be prepared to die. It is their own choice and I think people and their family should respect their choice. The least we can do is be supportive.

I don't know, if asked if I would die for something I believed in I'd say "yes", but that doesn't mean I would rush ahead without a plan. I would save dying as a last resort.

On religion, yes, I'd die any day for my religion, but not without defending myself. hmm...this post is kinda confusing, but I hope I got the message across clearly :animestun .[/FONT][/COLOR]

I wouldn't die for something I don't believe in, no. There's only one thing I'd risk everything for, and that's my closest friend. I would give my life for her because, against my better judgement sometimes, I love her. And I know that she would give her life for me, and that she, against her better judgement, loves me too. The people that you love are the only reason I'd advise risking it all for.

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]Never. Life is too precious to throw away.

If a cause is unworthy of your [i]support[/i], why should it be worthy of your [i]life[/i]?

That's dying for your [i]un[/i]-principles.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR="#993366"][b] I have to agree with Godel on this one. It's pointless to risk your life for something you truely do not believe in. Why risk your life unless your shall we say suicidal? Sadly I know some people who have just joined the army as a last resort to "die a noble death". Joining the army is a noble thing don't get me wrong, but when you join for all the wrong reasons, well that's just plain ignorant. You should fight for what you believe in, otherwise it truely to me is plain stupidity. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]Never. Life is too precious to throw away.

If a cause is unworthy of your [i]support[/i], why should it be worthy of your [i]life[/i]?

That's dying for your [i]un[/i]-principles.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][CENTER][FONT=Tahoma]True. But everyone who joins the army makes a concious decision to be willing to give thier lives.

But when you support your country, does that mean you should support all aspects of it? No. Does it mean you should protest against the choices of your own country? Depends on your stand. I have a friend I asked the same question. Would you die for something you don't believe in? Without a hint of hesitance, he said 'Yes.' his reason? 'If this country is worth living in, it's worth protecting with everything we've got. If that means war, so be it. If that means I have to fight, I'm willing.'

He is a very dear friend of mine, and it kind of took me by surprise when he said this. This friend is the kind of guy who'd do anything for anyone, an outstanding fellow. He loves discussing politics with me, and he's always [I]against[/I] whatever's going on in government, so it struck me as strange. In some ways, he's right. In others... He's dead wrong, in my opinion. I would be willing to help those fighting for a cause (Even if I didn't believe in it), but I would certainly not be willing to die for it. In my life, there are many things I'd give my own life for.

My close friends/family
The ultimate well-being of my country
My beliefs (Weather they be religious or otherwise)

Other than that, I don't think I'd ever risk my life, but by understanding these things, I can understand why others would.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Nope. I wouldn't risk my life for something I didn't believe in. I always assumed that people who joined the military knew they were fighting for what they believe to be "the greater good". They may not always agree with the orders handed down but they are hopeful that there is a much larger, great good to come of the actions in the end. In the end they are not risking their lives for something they don't believe in, they are risking it for the greater good in the end...protection of their beliefs, family and country.

I hope that made some sense. I just wouldn't put my life on the line for something I could not believe in. Life, in my opinion, is far to short to throw it away for something that doesn't mean anything to you.

It depends.
I mean, if we think about people who join the military, I'm sure all of them know they will give their lifes to their country, but then I begin to think, about wars that passed by, did those people really knew or really believe of what they were fighting?
I have some relatives who told me they fought in a colonial war on Timor (Portuguese war) without even knowing the real meaning of the war, it was only orders!
They saw friends dying, they kill and they were injuried for a cause they never knew what was, the only thing they knew is they were fighting for their country, but what was really true they were going to war just for Portugal government have another country to rule...
What I mean with this is you can fight or die for something you never really believed, it depends the time and eviroment you are in the moment, just sometimes is necessary to keep fighting, maybe just for survival or to save you're friend...and you end up achieving something that you end up not knowing the real meaning of what made you fight ...
But if you really ask me if I would fight for something I don't believe, I would deffenaly say, I don't know, it really depends of the situation I'm in...

I'm sorry if I sound rude or something, but when you live hearing about war stories you think a lot and end up thinking like that, which I hope I was understandable :animeswea

[quote name='sakurasuka][CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]This is reffering to war, but can mean what you take it to mean. It seems to me there are people that would simply risk thier lives to fight for a cause they don't agree with. ?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Well, it's either go and fight, claim conciencious objector, or go AWOL when you're in the military. You can't just put in a two week notice and quit because you signed a contract and like it or not you have to go do a job.

That said, if there was an actual choice between going to fight and just staying home I'd stay home. Yes, I wouldn't get the combat/Hazardous duty pay nor teh separation pay which is pretty good money when added into regular base pay for an E4, but I'd be safe.

I understand that your base question was about going to fight for something you don't believe in, but I had to get my extra 2 cents in.

Oh, I have to add this. Some peopel join teh military because it's something they believe in, others to leave home and the rest because there are no job opportunites. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford college.[/color]

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]Personally, I would fight for something I didn't believe in. Things such as war, although deadly, are waged for an overall greater good. People, fight for peace, as hypocritical as that sounds. And I fight to protect the people and country I love. Although I hate politics, and basically anything surrounding them, I've come to love the place I live. My country is beautiful, and I would fight to keep it that way.

As far as off war topics, I would probably do the same. I've always been one to wear my heart and my sleeve, excluding the risks of doing so. If someone I loved was doing something I didn't agree with, smoking for example, I would still be there for them, and support them the best I could. Its easy to support things you believe in, but sometimes its best to swallow your pride and do whats right, rather then what you want.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='sakurasuka][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][CENTER][FONT=Tahoma] 'Yes.' his reason? 'If this country is worth living in, it's worth protecting with everything we've got. If that means war, so be it. If that means I have to fight, I'm willing.' .[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

[COLOR=teal][FONT=arial][SIZE=1]I think I am the same as your friend in that aspect.
As Havokio simply stated, "Where is the logic in that?" To answer the question. There doesn't always have to be logic, some people (like me) don't really think with logic all the time. And if push came to shove, I think I [U]would[/U] die for a cause I didn't believe in. Yes, as stupid as it sounds I probably would.

But to agree with shadowlight on this one, I don't really know, it all really depends of the situation that I'm in... That is a very good question Sakrasuka, it is just difficult to answer.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Honestly no, I wouldn't risk my life for a cause I didn't believe in and that's the short and sweet answer. Risking or even giving your life for a cause you truly believed in is something I could consider, but Godel makes the excellent point that the gift of life is not something that should be squandered on an unworthy cause.

As for the case of those in the army, I guess they knew what they were signing up for when they joined, in my case the Republic of Ireland's Army is mostly involved in U.N. Peacekeeping missions in some very dangerous parts of the world. So getting involved [as in the country itself declaring war] in a war I don't believe is right isn't something that's likely to happen. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=x kakashi x][COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]Personally, I would fight for something I didn't believe in. Things such as war, although deadly, are waged for an overall greater good. People, fight for peace, as hypocritical as that sounds. And I fight to protect the people and country I love. Although I hate politics, and basically anything surrounding them, I've come to love the place I live. My country is beautiful, and I would fight to keep it that way.

As far as off war topics, I would probably do the same. I've always been one to wear my heart and my sleeve, excluding the risks of doing so. If someone I loved was doing something I didn't agree with, smoking for example, I would still be there for them, and support them the best I could. Its easy to support things you believe in, but sometimes its best to swallow your pride and do whats right, rather then what you want.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It sounds like the dominant ideology of the aristocrats has really been embedded into your way of thinking. Do you really think that war, in general, is waged for the overall greater good? Or is it to serve those in power? If you're going acknowledge the justification of war under certain circumstances, it's important to be both intelligent and aware so that you can realize when a war really isn't serving the greater good (which is most often the case). Look back at history and think about the casualties; if war was for the greater good, then would millions of lower and middle class people have had to die because of it? You just seem like an easy person to control when appealed at with the right rhetoric based on what I've read here. And that--the ability to be controlled through such means--is more dangerous to the greater good than anything.

Anyway, it's not always as simple as believing in war's agenda. Life isn't so simplistic and two-dimensional. As others have explained, other factors are often involved. The military is a job; many join for a living when they don't have better opportunities and many more join so that they can pay for higher education. Others just want to get away from home for whatever reason or are pressured by their parents to join. I'm sure that many don't plan on dying either. Many young people tend to view themselves as invincible and take their own mortality for granted.

No I would not. I just can't see going to war and possibly killing others. Espically if I don't believe in the reason the war is being fought in the first place.

However, there is one exception where I will fight for a cause I don't believe in. If the war in question meant people I know and love could die because I did nothing, then and only then would I take up arms to defend them.

I wouldn't go and fight in the war on terrorisum or Iraq. Even if we go to war with Korea I might not stand for the war. This doesn't mean im anit-military it just mean im anit bush and hi wars. yes the attack on the world trade center was bad but yet the wars have reach there objectives now it's time to pull out. But if it was a actual country attacking us then the ask for there butts to be kicked. But hell i risk my life every day working with acids, chlorine, molten metals. and drifting. But i would take a bullet for my friends and what i believe in. if i had to protect bush i would push him out of the way but not risk my life for that war mongal. Also the money we spent on the war should really should be used on helping are homeless citizens and veterns. god Bless our troop. and also some family history my great grand uncle was the first american to die in WW2 and he joined because germany invaded his home country Belguim. And my Grand Father served in the Korean War. My dad served in the air force.

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]I do not believe in war under most circumstances, which means I probably shouldn't join the Army, Marines, Navy, what have you. I am completely against war, but I still think that the troops fighting deserve some support. They are risking their lives, after all. But, to answer the question, I would not fight for something I didn't belive in unless, in the run, it would help more people than it would hurt. [/FONT][/SIZE]

*Shakes head in utter disgust*

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]How could you possibly justify going to war for something that you don't believe in?

Throwing away your own life for that is deplorable enough, but to take the lives of others in the name of something you know/believe to be wrong? That is sincerely f***ed up.

War is horrible, it's brutal, it's loathesome--but it's a necessity at times. That's the simple reality of our world. If I ever feel the necessity to go to war, you can bet that I shall be fighting for what I believe in--even if that were a fight against my own nation. My loyalties lie with my morals and my beliefs, not with any social or political group--and certainly not with any nation.

But I truly believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with someone who can disregard their own convictions to the point that they would be willing to die for and to kill for something that goes against their own beliefs.

I mean, where is the honor in that? What does that say about how much you value life? If you lack the strength in your beliefs to the point where you are willing to fight against what you know/believe to be right-- then why the hell do you even claim to have beliefs in the first place? What purpose do your beliefs serve if they aren't even important enough to you to stand up for?

Those that lack the courage of their convictions are those that end up being controlled to the point in which they fight on the side of tyranny and oppression-- blindly and mindlessly taking orders from their superiors often against what they know, or believe, to be right or just. History has shown that to be true many times over.

SO... no, there is no way in hell I would ever compromise my moral integrity and die for, kill for, or otherwise stand up for something I didn't believe in. That is cowardice in camouflage... cowardice of the worst degree...

[/b][/font]

If I don't believe in something, why would I risk my life for it? That makes no sense to me. While I love my country and just about everything she stands for, I'll not fight for something I don't believe in. What reason is there to do so? There are so many things I *do* believe in that I could risk my life for.

However, there are some things I don't believe in that...hmm...how do I explain this...

I guess I'll go with an example. I believe in freedom of speech. Okay, well and good, right? Well, what if someone had a message to give out, something they were spreading the word about that I didn't agree with? What if they were saying something I completely didn't believe in? Well, that would bother me. But if that person were to be forced to stop spreading their message, I would fight for their right. Even though I didn't agree with them, it's violating their freedom of speech, which I do believe in.

I'm not sure if that's fighting for something I don't believe in or not... :animeknow But there ya go. That's what I think. :animeswea

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Erm... I see alot of opposition to my question. I never stated that I personally would go to war, I was just wondering what you thought about it. I am a pacifist. I don't condone war of any type unless it is used in utter defence. I would hate to see anyone I love go to war for something trivial, but if noone did, things may be much different... I don't know if that's good or bad.

InuyashaDemon, I totally agree with you. However, in the end, despite all of the people needlessly killed, we ended up doing some good. To some degree, anyway.

[quote=elfpirate[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]How could you possibly justify going to war for something that you don't believe in?

Throwing away your own life for that is deplorable enough, but to take the lives of others in the name of something you know/believe to be wrong? That is sincerely f***ed up.[/FONT][/B][/quote]

I wasn't saying go to war to fight for something that is wrong, just maybe something you don't neccesarily have a standpoint on, or that isn't really an issiue with you, but will affect you if you do/do not fight for it. Take the American Civil War for example. If you were in the south, you pretty much had to fight. That was all there was to it, really. In the end though, southerners weren't fighting for anything as important as thier freedoms or anything, but they still HAD to fight. Let's say you're in that situation. Would you just leave all your families and run away? Would you join the Union? Then you would really be siding with something you don't believe in.

Anyway, I'm just saying you don't have to shoot anyone opposing you down a notch to make your views known. [i]I'm[/i] just trying to see both sides of this, it never hurts to try to understand otherviews, even if you don't agree with them.

Anyway, I've gotta go to work *sigh* So, yeah.

_sakura_[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1]A soldier is expected to die for the mission when in a combat situation. They're 'wind-up soldiers,' so to speak, not questioning the reason they're fighting for. Yes, they're expected to die for the the President believes in, and quite frankly, your opinion doesn't matter.

And I would die for something I didn't believe in. [B]If and only if[/B] I knew it was the morally correct thing to do, but I didn't believe in doing it. For instance, if I were a soldier and didn't want to kill someone because it goes against my morals (which I "believe in"), if and only if I knew it was the correct moral thing to do.[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]elfpirate-Nah, I just noticed how set in your oppinion you were...

Anyway, another point I want to make (That goes directly with Reti's) is that most people don't go to war for themselves anyway. They go to war to fight for someone/thing else. Normally it's because it's what the government commanded. Occasionally it's because they believe it the right thing to do. I ask this though, unless we're PROTECTING something, is there a good reason to go to war and kill? Is the 'right' thing to do really all a point of perspective? On each side of every war, both think they're doing it to better something (Or something like that anyway) So in perspective, everone who fights had a REASON, but they don't neccesarily have to agree with the cause to fight for it.

Though this has little to do with the point, I am a vollunteer. I help out the 4-H kids and stuff. I don't personally like doing this because I don't like the 4-H system right now, but I do it to help the KIDS even though I'm really vollunteering for the 4-H, see? I'm doing something for a cause I only half-agree with (Though it's a horrible example) to help the bit I do agree with. Also, it's a great thing to put on my collage application. See? You can have other motives for things, everything isn't cut and dry, this-way-or-the-highway type thing.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]