OtakuBoards

Super Smash Brothers. . ^_^

NorykoAngelcry

Ok. . here is a thread to extend the gaming realm to those who have strong feelings about Super Smash Brothers, since Hyperlink and myself are wearing out PD and Goldeneye thread, LOL. If you have played, or play (as I continue to do to this date, as I am sure TONS of you do too) post here with your characters, play style, alt characters, etc. etc.

Lets start the ball rolling, shall we?

I play Link as my main:

I am always in the thick of battle, wanting to get the most out of every game as I can ^_^ I LOVE jumping in and making my self seen, and 'felt' LOL. I like how strong he is, and can take a fair amount of damage before able to be killed. I love his multitude of weapons, as the boomerang is like another extension of my body, and I am VERY deadly with it. I toss it out mainly out of reflex, and watch as it catches my opponents off guard time and time again.

The bomb I use mainly as a defensive weapon. I will hold it when I jump into a fight, and go lemming mode on people if I get into trouble =) It is also great for when someone grapples me, and the bomb is about to explode. It lets me escape. I have gotten rusty on using it that way though. . and basically just use it to annoy people =) I can seem to hit people no matter where they are, and they got mad at me a lot for that. So I started alternating characters. . which brings me to -

If there is anything wrong with him - He is too slow to recover from moves, leaving me wide open to tons of attacks through-out the match. His grapple is too slow to be used as a main offensive move. Once he is knocked off a ledge. . bye Link. He is the hardest character to get back on a ledge in the game, as his mid-air jumps and UP + B attack doesn't lift him very high either. Other then this. . he is a very strong and competant fighter, and I love him.

Donkey Kong (alt char):

I basically use him to be cheap, while having a blast and laughing to death. I grapple with DK, and I grapple well. It is not really that CHEAP of a move in my opinion, but I can get in pretty fast, and grapple them before they know what is going on. I think my absolute favorite move is grappling someone, and running off the ledge with them (Warning - mainly used when you are UP on lives over your opponent =) LOL). I also love his mid air downward foot stomp. Use that when an opponent is off the ledge. . and bye bye opponent :naughty: You have to give props to his mega punch as well. . I have cleared three at once with it (multi-player) and love having it 'ready' just for cases when they all get jumbled together =)

His weaknesses are too slow of moves, and he doesn't really have a good counter for overhead attacks. His clap and overhead swing are too slow for the faster characters. He can get back on the ledge most of the time, but his spin attack tends to give out pretty early when trying to come back.

Ok. . will post some of my friends characters and play styles later. . lets hear what you got ^_^

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]I am undefeated with samus, I really am that damn good at the game, lol.... [/B][/QUOTE]

I LOVE it when people say they are undefeated. . :naughty: If Samus is your main character, my friend Jay (Fox) would LOVE playing you. . though, I love playing anyone who knows how to play . . bring on the pain!! LOL

I will be the first to say that I get beat fairly often. Though, it comes from the fact that I play vs. idiots, ROFL!! While I play, people will jump in at the most inappropriate times, and attack me. . . then when I go after that one, someone else will jump in and attack me. It's this annoying tag team attacks that keep me on my toes though, and I am getting especially good at it now.

I played matches with me vs. three of anyone else. I can do pretty well, but when I get too attached to attacking one person, I usually screw up big time >_<

[color=indigo][size=1]I'm really looking forward to Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I haven't played SSB on N64 in a while...all this talk has made me want to play it again :)

My favourite character...hmm...I tend to prefer using either Pikachu or Jigglypuff.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=indigo][size=1]I'm really looking forward to Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I haven't played SSB on N64 in a while...all this talk has made me want to play it again :)

My favourite character...hmm...I tend to prefer using either Pikachu or Jigglypuff.[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

(I think I am following you James. . . *shrugs*)

Do you play with a lot of other people? I usually play with a group of about 7 - 10 people depending on what day it is, and who has work and what-not ^_^ It is pretty fun, because we get very animated ourselves playing this game, cursing at the game for . . well. . anything that isn't going exactly right, or for some computer controlled action. It is pretty funny how we all stop fighting, and run from the giant bomb in Pikachu's stage. We just go 'OH CRAP!!' and take off running, LOL, then when it explodes, we come back and resume the fight wherever we are at. It is pretty funny. . most computer controlled interferance makes us all scram away from both IT and each other, and gives us a chance to regroup. I love trying to knock people into them though (as do a few others that I play with). It mostly never works, but when it does . . . it is WAY too awesome :D

I will add Jigglypuff as another alternate. I love playing as JP - with the downward kick, and the multiple midair jumps. JP can be an unstoppable force if you play right. The UP + B attack is VERY awesome if it works right. . nothing like knocking someone with only 15% off the board, sending them to their death, LOL. I am fairly annoying with just dropping in with the song attack, then UP + B'ing them :D I try not to play JP due to speed. JP is WAY too slow, and often suffers high damage as a result.

Forgot to add - With Link - I am a dodge-oholic. I roll everywhere, and can dodge most attacks without even really thinking about it. I try my best to jump into the thick of things whenever I can, and IF it is a bit too much action. . I simply roll back, and try again =P

[SIZE=1]I am pretty much undefeated with Kirby...

My technique is his speed, I use the running+A attack and then do the smash+A attack, repeatdly... that gets them annoyed. I use the rock drop when they are not expecting it and also the stone cutter... also to annoy them I press R (grapple) and just hold it and 3 seconds later they fly off the screen HA! I am almost impossible to get off the platform.

FAV. level: Sector Z

One thing that pisses me off is that when my bros friend come round and I played Stock team, 10 stock... those two friends and a level 9 AI pikachu. Everytime they hit me, they go "I did that!" and they were pissing me off so bad. I lasted half an hour before I killed pikachu. Damn them.[/SIZE]

Okay, I don't know if I should put this, so any Mod can delete this part of the post if they think it is needed...

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=32502

In these boards, I've seen some things that have made Melee a whole new thing for me. Spoilers abound, proof of secret characters and stages, and many other things that have surprised me.

Now back to the topic...

My favorite is Kirby. My best technique is to close in on my enemies, then grapple them multiple times (I love anoying people :devil:). I do it in a way that it's almost impossible to save yourself. And I can use all his other moves in ways most of you have never seen...

I love all of you saying you are undefeated. . we should all have a HUGE get together somwhere in the USA and have a tournament. That would totally rule =) Maybe have an area for N64 and one for GAMECUBE. . Mwahahahaha :naughty:

I am not going to say that I am undefeated, since I can and will get defeated on many times. . but I am a very strong fighter, and when I get on a roll, I tend to get jumped by everyone and taken out ^_^ Kind of sucks, no? With lots of people playing, and everyone taking turns passing, you never really get a GOOD strategy vs. just one person, so I love getting myself into trouble with as many people as I can, just to try and defend them all. It rules :D

Will once again have to wait to post a topic about my friends players and style. . sorry~

[SIZE=1]Well... I wish I could come to the tournament... but I am in the UK. :( *me goes to train on SSB* la la laa

Apparantly in Melee, Princess Peach is a secret character, Bowser is too and you can be Sheik from Zelda too... I reckon there's like 20+ characters...[/SIZE]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Ya, I think that there are tons of secrets in SSB:M that we can only imagine untill we get the game for ourselves and play it. As for the tourny, well. . I suppose if it goes well, we can have it world-wide someday =) I would love to see the UK sometime, and meeting new people is always good.

Ok, as promised - I will post the first of several friends that play the game. Will dedicate this whole post to him, since he is my hardest challenge when I play the game ^_^

Jay - Fox (main character) - He uses Fox's speed, and he does it REALLY well. He will run across the board, grapple you, and luanch you back in the air before you can even get back on the first time, LOL. He can do some really annoying combo's. The first, being his slide tackle across the board, knocking you before you even get a chance to get back up. Once you fly off the board, he will use his laser to try and take away your second jump before you even get close to getting back on. Another thing he does is slide tackle when you are trying to grab the ledge, causing you to fly off farther then before, and most times, killing you all out. He also likes to do multiple kicks while you are flying above his head. He can do Fox's jump kick several times while you are in mid-air before you are high enough above him to actually get away, and by that time, you will have taken some serious damage.

On to his play style. He splits it down the middle, sometimes chosing to use his laser for annoyance and his deflector shield for incoming objects, while running away or kicking someone off him if his 'space' is invaded, LOL. His other tactic is like me, where he will charge someone non-stop, trying to fight them over anyone else. Jay and I get into scuffles almost every multi-player match, and will go at it till one of us dies, or someone annoys us enough to stop our duel :D He is really good at grappling, but some matches, he can't land one to save his life (funny enough, as that is just the case in this game, no? :D

If any weaknesses, it is his ability to be dragged into a fight over the smallest things. He loves to charge non-stop over a challenger, leaving himself wide open to outside attacks, or even attacking too aggressivly that he leaves himself open to an easy and much more aggravating counter-attack. His biggest problem is he gets mad WAY too fast, and while you are mad, you are ultra sloppy.

Ness (alternative character) - Well, he plays Ness from time to time, but coming off of playing as Fox, he is horrible with Ness. He is far too slow to be really good in one of our 4 player frenzies, and usually is the first to go out. But while he is in, he makes himself known to everyone. He will use Ness' fire column attack, and sneak in close for either a grapple or a home run bat attack. He has problems using Ness' UP + B attack to get back on boards, and usually loses lives because of that. One strong point with Ness though, is that he is very awesome at keeping people off the ledge. With the assortmant of close attacks, he can keep you at bay for a very long time, wearing your character out in no time fast.

Will post another one later ^_^ I want to hear more play styles everyone!! LOL :D shutting up now. . [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]
Ness(alt char): I use Ness from time to time, like Jay I 'spose, I tend to stand outside the battle and use PK Thunder and control it into the thick of battle :demon: Heh. I also like to run around and do the running+A attack and then do the smash+A (likewise with kirby)
Bad points: It's quite hard to get back onto the ledge by using PK Thunder, but I've nearly mastered that now.[/SIZE]

[color=indigo][size=1]Noryko: Actually, N-Sider.com posted the full list of secret characters a few days ago...but Nintendo of America insisted that we pull the list down (because it was 100% true).

I'll try and find the list again and put all the names here.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=indigo][size=1]Noryko: Actually, N-Sider.com posted the full list of secret characters a few days ago...but Nintendo of America insisted that we pull the list down (because it was 100% true).

I'll try and find the list again and put all the names here.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]What these you mean?Mario
Peach
Link
Princess Zelda
Sheik
Kirby
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Ness
Fox McCloud
Captain Falcon
Samus Aran
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Luigi
Pit
Jigglypuff
Balloon Kid
Ganondorf

There are also at least 18 selectable levels in the game. Certain characters share the same level, which seem to be themed right out of the latest version the game appeared on. For example, Link's level is taken straight out of The Legend of Zelda: Marjora's Mask, and Fox McCloud's level is taken out of level 1 in Star Fox 64.

I found some sweet pics too![/SIZE]

[img]http://www.n-sider.com/previews/smashbrosmelee/01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.n-sider.com/previews/smashbrosmelee/02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.n-sider.com/previews/smashbrosmelee/03.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.n-sider.com/previews/smashbrosmelee/04.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.n-sider.com/previews/smashbrosmelee/05.jpg[/img]

Ack. . nearly read that list by mistake. . LOL, should have given some warning ^_^

As for levels, there are 23 of them =P Awwww yeah. .multi-player madness!!

I need to get a new TV. . . . my little old JVC isn't cutting it. . =P Thinking a Sony or Philips. . . anyone have any good ideas? Trying to keep it under $500 if at all possible =) but I want a T.V. that will work great for games, DVDs, Video Tapes, and your basic T.V. channels. . not sure what kind of TV I need for Smash Brothers. . James posted in another thread the kind I need. . but. . I can't find it :D

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Was looking around, and found an AWESOME picture of my new favorite board :D

[img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/features/supersmashbrosmelee/bg27.jpg[/img]

I will definitely play this level to death.

As for one of the movies I watched. On mario's rainbow boat ride stage, you ride on the large boat for the majority of the level, then are let off onto the main stage. This is totally awesome idea, and can't wait to play that either ^_^ . . . *freaks out at having to wait 11 more days* BLEARG!! >_<

[EDIT] Look at my boy Link with half the damage that everyone else has. . . that is the way it usually is, LOL[END EDIT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B][FONT=arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green]

aaaahhh.. super smash brothers.. the best fighting game you could ever play.. and now ssbm.. even better than the original.. ain't this grand people? eheh

anyway.. in the original ssb.. my brother is much better than me at it.. considering he can use all the characters very well (though i'm better with falcon and perhaps link.. haven't used link for a long time) and can whoop my butt most of the time..

what i really REALLY hate is edge guarding.. gooooooood that annoys the hell out of me.. i mean you're getting back up.. and your opponent stands at the edge.. waiting to send you back to your doom.. sickens me really.. i have nothing with proper spiking.. which is jumping OUT into free space spiking the poor bugger down.. i don't mean the spiking where you stand on the edge and then spike.. that's just edge guarding as well.. anyway.. who else finds edge guarding annoying? cause basically if you edge guard.. you are almost guaranteed a kill.. it's so damned cheap
i prefer proper killing with combos, non cheap strategies and use of proper spikes (and i also forgot to mention not including kirby's cause how hard is it to hit someone down and then float a couple of hundred times back and do an up b attack to get back up? not hard at all)
i find i'm ok at using falcon now.. i can kill reasonably well.. even two level 9 falcon's against me as well.. eheh.. i haven't tried three of them against me.. cause i did that with lower levels.. and they basically get me up to 100 in a second or so.. sooo yeah

yeah.. as james said.. the list was 100% true.. interesting though isn't it? i wonder who leaked the info.. cause some other people had the same list from other sources as well i think
i have nothing against it.. as long as each character handles differently.. and once again.. i can not wait to use zelda/sheik.. ooooh yeah.. baby yeah.. *droooooooooools*
apparently she's very very strong.. zelda's pretty slow.. but very strong.. sheik is very fast.. and the fact that when she transforms she's invincible (and also being able to transform midair) oooooooh yeah.. can't wait.. *dreams about playing as her*

and noryko.. i'm assuming that's cause link just died.. ahahahah
but yeah.. this game is huge.. :D

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I have a nice 15 or 16" Daewoo... It's sweet. With a video in it too. ^_^

That's what I recommend, but I guess I need a better one when I get my Cube.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

heh, I have a 30" sony trinitron, the best to play ssb on, and when I get a gamecube with ssbm, pure gaming heaven....

[B]

heh, I have a 30" sony trinitron, the best to play ssb on, and when I get a gamecube with ssbm, pure gaming heaven.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Damn you! I want a nice big 30" one too... was that by any chance over £500? Nearly as much as the Cube... I need one and a big TV. And seph, is it true that the Cube is coming out September in UK? It better not be...:sleep:[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B]

[SIZE=1]Damn you! I want a nice big 30" one too... was that by any chance over £500? Nearly as much as the Cube... I need one and a big TV. And seph, is it true that the Cube is coming out September in UK? It better not be...:sleep:[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

£500 for a 30" sony trinitron wide screen? are you insane! it cost me just over a grand, and thats only because I knew the guy, got me a little discount....

and yes, according to nintendo, they will not be releasing the game cube in europe until september....

[B]

£500 for a 30" sony trinitron wide screen? are you insane! it cost me just over a grand, and thats only because I knew the guy, got me a little discount....

and yes, according to nintendo, they will not be releasing the game cube in europe until september.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I said OVER £500 you foolish boy!

Damn Nintendo... Damn September... Damn Europe...

Me be wanting big TV too![/SIZE]

[B]

and yes, according to nintendo, they will not be releasing the game cube in europe until september.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=firebrick][SIZE=1]Sony makes some very nice T.V.s, but you can find the same types from other makers for much cheaper. With Sony, the main thing you are paying for is the brand name. I think that is pretty lame. They are a good company, don't get me wrong, but I have found just as good of products, if not better, from other brands for hundred(s) cheaper. I suppose it just comes down to a matter of personal preferance though. If you like the brand or like the T.V. then it is all good. The T.V. I have will work. . but I am wanting a flat screen T.V. with all the features. . but as Seph posted, it is looking like it will be quite a bit for one. >_< Bummer. . .

As for ledge guarding - I suppose it depends on who you are playing against, and who you play as. My friend as Fox is probably the best I have seen vs. me, but at the same time, I can easily make him pay for ever standing next to the ledge. I don't know if YOU knew this. . but you can use the Z button and roll safely back on, giving yourself a much more fair chance at getting back on the board. My friend plays the fastest character, with the easiest grapple, so he even makes me regret rolling on. Depending on the board though, I will drop down, do my mid-air jump, then do my UP + B attack to send him flying back. It is great, and even though we practically know each other's strategies, it will still catch him off guard.

Ok. . next person that I will give away his strategies:

Steve - Pikachu - He is the master of hit - and - run. He will drop in, do a decent attack, and back off before you even have time to recollect yourself. I think he has to be the most annoying player to battle single-handed, as he can stay away from my slow Link very well. But when I am ready for one of his attacks, I truly make him regret ever messing with me. LOL. . . his weakness in defensive techniques can be easily exploited, as he prefers great distance between himself and anyone else. Move in close, and he is screwed (so to speak). I have battled lately, and he still amazes me at how well he can avoid almost every move I throw at him. He has to be tied with third place for challengers when we all get together :D[/COLOR][/SIZE]