OtakuBoards

Cooking...

Bloodseeker

I'm bored, so that means that its time for a random thread about whatever's on my mind!

As you might have guessed, this thread is for discussing cooking... recipes, good meals, bad meals, good seasoning, bad seasoning...

For starters, worst possible crimes possible in the realm of cooking:

-Defiling tater tots with season salt! I was very tempted to smack my mom for this one!
-NOT covering the casserole with a thick layer of chedder cheese! The melted cheese is what makes the casserole!
-Using low carb substitutes! Ugh, I think that I'm going to throw up in my mouth... that low carb spaghetti was some nasty stuff.
-Baking a potato. Potatos belong in the frying pan!

And God's gifts to cooking:
-Garlic. It goes good with just about anything!
-Potatos. Potatos are to side dishes what garlic to seasoning. Good stuff.
-Pork. There's no better meat. Best ribs, best roast, great chinese style...

Want to add to those lists or share cooking experiences? Great. Have at it!

Well that's certainly a different topic.

I only disagree with you on one point and that is how to cook Potatos. Baking them in the oven until the outer skin is crispy is just so much better than frying them. Then they taste wonderful with either butter, chese or other various toppings. Frying just seems to leech the flavor from them. At least in my opinion. :animeswea

Personally I think Beef is great to cook with. Espically in homemade Beef stew. Definately yummy.

Ill add a few things me or my sister have tried in the past.

Macaroni and Cheese with Salmon- It had kick to the flavor.

Chicken- You can cook it so many different ways! Bbq, grilled, fried, and so many other things you can do to it.

Now here is a way to make quick stickey nummy fudge.

Light Corn Syrup
Chocolate Milk Mix
Peanut Butter

You put 1/3 of a cup of the syrup in a measuring cup (microwavable) Microwave the syrup till its hot (ort till its about to bubble over) Add powder (there isnt a measurment to this) Just add a few small scoops and stir in till EVERY sugar crystal is dissolved. If it wont all vanish heat it for a few seconds at a time and keep stirring. After thats all done add how ever much peanut butter you like and stir it all in. The more peanut butter... the more solid it will get. Eat it the moment its done or set it in the fridge to set up. It is different but it was good.

The more syrup you use the more peanut butter and powder you use.

On the potato issue i will have to say that potatoes can be cooked in any conceivable way, shape or form and still taste great - potatoes have ultimate versitility (they eaven taste great dipped in chocolate).

garlic is great. it tastes great, it smells great and it goes with everything. garlic is even better when you can handle 10 cloves in a dish.

One thing i have learnt while cooking is that lemon juice is NOT your friend. it can be, but you don't wanna put a whole lemon in. (i did once)

[quote name='Bloodseeker']-Baking a potato. Potatos belong in the frying pan![/quote]
Blasphemer! You know not the ecstacy of baking a potato, cutting it open, and filling its insides with sour cream, cheese, chives, bacon bits, and butter. I tell you, it tastes like the sweat from God's brow.

Now I've gone and made myself hungry.

One of my favorite dishes to cook is egg-fried rice. It makes for an interesting way to get rid of your left-over rice. And yes, I season it with garlic. It's my secret ingredient ;)

[SIZE=1]I love Chipotle Burritos. They're what God eats when he gets tired of answering prayers. He puts the prayers on hold, and eats his Chipotle.

I can cook very few foods. Here's the list:

Fettuccini Alfredo
Spagetti
Chinese Stir Fry
Lemon Chicken
Fried Rice (who can't? lmao)
[B]Instant Ramen.[/B][/SIZE]

Ooo.....food....something I know alot about. I am not a good cook when it comes to the oven....but I am the microwaved food queen!!

So heres some advice for those of you like me:

Always cook ramen noodles in the microwave (no matter what the pack says, it makes them taste better)

Never cook any kind of Pasta-Roni in the microwave (its nasty )

Never overheat leftover pizza, always start it at just 30 seconds

When you heat soup in the mircowave always cover with a napkin or paper towel

And last but not least......Never ever put foil in the microwave(I learned that one the hard way :animestun )

Oddly, I live off microwave dinners but I love to cook. I want to be a culinary chef in New York one day but whatever.

I don't know what you were talking about because potatoes are the ultimate food and can be cooked with almost anything any way. I've created 6 dishes with them in the last year and I'm still going. (It's all I have to work with except rice.) Frying them takes out flavor while baking or boiling actually expands the taste even more.

Possibly the weirdest and best thing I've made was this piece that went together which was hand mashed potatoes smothered in hot sauce, a little bit of butter, a dash or salt and pepper, and crushed red peppers. Then there was diced potatoes lightly fried with diced onion, parsely, basil, and some crushed up pieces of bacon. That goes down on the plate and you add the mashed potatoes on the center of it. Everyone loved it except me because I don't eat spicy food or onions, but it was okay when I tried it.

I. Hate. Chicken. It is food from the devil I tell you!

Granted, this comes from eating nothing but chicken breast for months on end...(I'm still eating chicken...) :animedepr

Ground turkey is disgusting as well.

However, potatoes are good any way but mashed. I don't like the texture mashed potatoes have. Same with Jello though. :animeswea

What can I cook? Hmm...what can't I cook is the better question. I don't particularly enjoy it, but that's only because it's expected of me. I don't like to make dinner. I do that every night. But when I'm not required to cook, I really enjoy it.

Recently I learned how to cook a mean meatloaf. Meatloaf is my friend. Except...I'm sick of ground turkey. So I guess I won't be having it for a while.

Usually when I make meatloaf I use a pound of ground turkey and a pound of sausage. It's good that way. Then add some garlic, some oregano, some basil, some chili powder, some celery, some bread crumbs (or rice, either one's good)...I'm too lazy to look up exact measurements right now...but it really is good. :catgirl:

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]^ Roll mashed potatoes into balls, coat them with tempura batter and deep-fry them. That's how you prepare potatoes for those who hate 'em mashed.

[quote name='Manic Webb']One of my favorite dishes to cook is egg-fried rice. It makes for an interesting way to get rid of your left-over rice. And yes, I season it with garlic. It's my secret ingredient ;)[/quote]I'm dying to make egg chahan but my mum's abit skeptical about it (I'm absolutely horrible at preparing egg dishes but fried rice is my specialty; got a bit of a problem there). But yeah, fried rice is the best thing one can cook with leftovers.

My secret ingredient? Oyster sauce. Yep, a dollop of that wondrous dark liquid is enough to make even them choosy eaters ask for seconds.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#004a6f]One of my favorite dishes is grape leaf rolls, which have rice, small chunks of beef and a combination of just the right spices. The rolls are stacked in the pot and covered with a hearty stew made with olive oil and potato and tomato slices. Adding chunks of beef or lamb to the stew alllows extra flavour to seep into the rolls. When it's done cooking, you take the pot, and flip it over onto a large deep try. The pot seems to have molded the rolls into a cake shape, but then the stack tumbles. It's nice to watch. Then, you help yourself to it's deliciousness.

There's another version of the grape leaf rolls which doesn't have meat inside. It's rolled more loosely and cooked with alot more oil.

And then, there's stuffed zucchinis and eggplants, cooked in tomato sauce. Very yummy too.[/COLOR]

This was definately not the thread to read on an empty stomach! I now want to eat some fried rice...but then again stuffed zucchini sounds devine as well. Yummy...

I am a very lucky gal since my hubby loves to cook. It's his hobby. He will sit down with a cookbook and pick something that sounds good and then make it. He works part-time as a cook just for fun, he loves to get new receipes and figures he might as well get paid to do something he really enjoys. Just today he got a phone call from the kitchen manager from one of the golf and country clubs to come cook for them. Needless to say his cooking is well known around town. He makes everything from scratch, no mixes, frozen dinners or instant foods for him! Which is, of course, why I gained a bunch of weight after getting married to him! He loves to cook, I love to eat...it's the perfect relationship. :animesmil

On the rare occassion I actually gain control of the kitchen I love to make teriyaki chicken. The sauce is one that has been passed down through the women in my family. No measuring, you just know how much of each of the ingredients to add to the mix. It must be something in our genes that allows us to know how to make the sauce. Hmmm, just thinking about this makes me hungry for some teriyaki chicken. Yummy.

I think I really need to make something to eat now.

[QUOTE=Kiyu-chan]I. Hate. Chicken. It is food from the devil I tell you!

Granted, this comes from eating nothing but chicken breast for months on end...(I'm still eating chicken...) :animedepr

Ground turkey is disgusting as well.

However, potatoes are good any way but mashed. I don't like the texture mashed potatoes have. Same with Jello though. :animeswea

What can I cook? Hmm...what can't I cook is the better question. I don't particularly enjoy it, but that's only because it's expected of me. I don't like to make dinner. I do that every night. But when I'm not required to cook, I really enjoy it.

Recently I learned how to cook a mean meatloaf. Meatloaf is my friend. Except...I'm sick of ground turkey. So I guess I won't be having it for a while.

Usually when I make meatloaf I use a pound of ground turkey and a pound of sausage. It's good that way. Then add some garlic, some oregano, some basil, some chili powder, some celery, some bread crumbs (or rice, either one's good)...I'm too lazy to look up exact measurements right now...but it really is good. :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

Try using ground buffalo for that meatloaf. Or if you're feeling unadventurasm, ground beef. Using turkey for things other than Thanksgiving is a crime on par with using low-carb substitutes.

I love mashed potatos! Put some cream cheese in there... some butter...

Speaking of cream cheese, here's nice suggestion for a quick snack: take a piece of salami, spread some cream cheese over it, and rap it up. That stuff's addicting!

Back to the crimes, anybody else here hate ricotta cheese? Using that instead of an extra layer of mozzarella is a great way to ruin a perfectly good lasagna!

Any potato dish is always awesome. Any squash dish always makes me puke. I don't know what it is, I just can't keep the stuff down. :sick:
What I do love is meat!!!!!
[COLOR=DarkRed]MEAT, MEAT, and more MEAT completely smothered and oozing with sauces.[/COLOR][SIZE=3][/SIZE]
That's why I love the summer,because there's always barbeque.

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]^ Roll mashed potatoes into balls, coat them with tempura batter and deep-fry them. That's how you prepare potatoes for those who hate 'em mashed.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oooh, that sounds really good! I'll have to try that! Thanks!

And Bloodseeker, beef isn't something my family eats. With the exception of the stroganoff (did I spell that right?) that I made for dinner tonight...mmm...that was good. But I'll have to try buffalo. Sounds interesting!

Cream cheese. That's the good stuff. I especially like it as a dip. Mix some garlic and milk in with it (heavy on the garlic in my case :D ) and grab some pretzels or chips...voila! Delicious snackage!

Ricotta cheese, that I haven't had in a long, long time. I don't think I was ever especially fond of it. That brings up memories of cottage cheese. Now I think I'm going to go get ill. Excuse me. :animedepr

Salmon. the king of fish.

it can be cooked many ways, but personally, i don't think that anything can beat the simple elegance of simply steaming it. it (serve it with ketchup - sounds discusting, but really does work)

salmon is almost as versatile as potato.

[quote name='Kiyu-chan']Smoked Salmon you say?! Now I'm hungry! That's the ultimate snack food! And amazingly, you're right, it's good with ketchup. Then again, that could just be the inner ketchup lover in me speaking.[/quote]
i never mentioned smoked salmon!!!

smoked slmon is ok, but i really think steaming it is better.

[COLOR=#004a6f]I though I'd share a nice sandwich idea.

Toast a bagel (or bread), and place slices of your favorite cheese inside. My favorite is white cheddar. Then spoon thyme powder mixed with sesame seeds all over it. You might like to add a bit of olive oil to it if you like. And top it off with olives. Very good. Deep, rich, spicy (well, herby) flavour. Gee, I think I'll have one right now.[/COLOR]

Anything I do not have to cook, clean up after, or pay for is the best food in existence. If it is meat based, has garlic, and chips on top of that I'm basically in heaven. Else anything that is easy to cook and tastes nice - pork chops are a prime example of that - is good.

I've got something I think everyone should try. It's a meal I only get once a year, for my birthday, but it's delicious all the same.

It's called Frito Chili Pie.
You take Fritos and lay them across the bottom of a glass pan. Size doesn't matter, it's all about how much you want. You then pour chili over the top of that, put more Fritos over that, add more chili, add some onions, then some cheese, and toss it in the oven until it's hot all the way through. That's some good eating. :D

ok, ok, time to share a great secret dish of mine. it's greasy, unhealthy and full of crap - but that's what we all like to eat, isn't it?

grate a lot of cheese, and cook some sausages.

get a pie dish, and place some lasagne sheets on the bottom. then put some cheese and sausage pieces down, cover with lasagne strips and repeat untill dish is full. cover top with motzerella and jam it in the oven.

[QUOTE=Lord Dante]ok, ok, time to share a great secret dish of mine. it's greasy, unhealthy and full of crap - but that's what we all like to eat, isn't it?

grate a lot of cheese, and cook some sausages.

get a pie dish, and place some lasagne sheets on the bottom. then put some cheese and sausage pieces down, cover with lasagne strips and repeat untill dish is full. cover top with motzerella and jam it in the oven.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo]I bow to you, almighty salty one.

I first make an omlet with sausage, beef and chicken bits. Then, I add peanuts, and finally some y(h)aleppino.

Try this...
Bite and eat two mints slowly (you should feel the "mintyness" in your throat) then, as fast as you can, drink a cold lemonade soda. BIGGEST non-drug induced thing someone can do without risking your life.

Also, chocolate and peanut butter is the best food combo in EXSISTENCE![/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Havokio][COLOR=Indigo]I bow to you, almighty salty one.

I first make an omlet with sausage, beef and chicken bits. Then, I add peanuts, and finally some y(h)aleppino.

Try this...
Bite and eat two mints slowly (you should feel the "mintyness" in your throat) then, as fast as you can, drink a cold lemonade soda. BIGGEST non-drug induced thing someone can do without risking your life.

Also, chocolate and peanut butter is the best food combo in EXSISTENCE![/COLOR][/QUOTE]
ooooh! mintyness! try this:

get as many packets of extra strong mints as you can, and a bottle of coke.

pour the coke and mints into a food processor, and blitz them up on the highest setting you have. throw in a tray of ice-cubes, and blitz on high some more.

[color=#9933ff]Gosh, now I want to eat everything that everyone's been talking about! *complains* *_*

I noticed that Kaisha (page 1) is attached to the microwave - me too! Most of the things I can make involve using the microwave. XD EZ-mac anyone? (it's not as good as velveeta or something, but I loooove maca and cheese) My microwave is so cute. When it's done reheating for you (oh yeah, I also boil water for tea in it, too), it flashes this across the screen: "Enjoy your meal". How cute! ^^

The one thing I've made up on my own is really weird: You take strawberries (the jumbo kind work the best). Slice off the top and take out whatever's on the inside. Fill it with ice cream. Eat now or put in fridge for later (but be warned - the strawberry will be quite frozen!).

Here's an EZ recipe for trifle that my mom's friend from college gave her (my "aunt"). My mom makes it whenever people (plural) come over. She also used to make it whenever they asked the parents to bring food to school for something:

[size=1]Ingredients:
1 chocolate cake mix (including the ingredients to make the cake)
2 small packages of chocolate pudding
1 - 2 tubs of whipped topping
1 shot Kaluha (optional - not appropriate to serve to little children, obviously)

Procedure:
[list][*]Make the cake and cool it.
[*]Break up the cake into chunks, and put half on the bottom of the bowl.
[*]Put half a shot of Kaluha onto the cake.
[*]Pour about one pudding on top of the cake, or enough to cover it nicely.
[*]Spread half, or just enough to create an adequate layer of the whipped topping on top of the pudding.
[*]Repeat the layers of cake, Kaluha, pudding, and whipped topping one more time.[/list][/size][/color]