OtakuBoards

Battle of the Bands

Kamuro

[SIZE=1]As the title of the thread states, this is where I'll put up one band against another and see who everyone prefers. For the first few battles I'll put up bands of the same genre who make similar types of music so its a bit easier to analyze. However, later on I could put any two bands against each other. I know its all personal preference, but I'd like to hear what people think about each band and why they chose one over the other. No double talk please, its alright if you like both, but just choose one lol.

The first battle will be between [B]Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand[/B]. They both have extremely similar musical styles, but which is better? I think they both brought a new sound to the stage, but one stuck out to me more then the other. This is Modest Mouse. I far prefer this band to Franz Ferdinand. I think the lyrics have more to say, at least to me and I enjoy the music more. I think Franz Ferdinand has repetative beats and lyrics, overall they just aren't as good as Modest Mouse. Tell me how you feel.

This is just a start. Even if you don't like the bands, tell me which one you think is overshadows the other. I'll go through plenty of metal and such as well, for Jake and all the other rockers here lol.[/SIZE]

First off, I really like this idea...

Second of all I had never actually heard of either band... So I started researching on my RealRhapsody.

Modest Mouse
Very catchy vocals, especially "float on"
The vocals and instruments flow very well and are very smooth.
Negatives is they seem to reuse a chord progression and just change the key or make it louder/softer. But they do disguise it pretty well... I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking to pull them apart...
I love the end to "The World at Large;" Just a side note

Franz Ferdinand
Not as smooth with everything.
Very cool guitars, I think.
They're sound is kind of... I don't know... original.

Overall, pretty close in my opinion, but my vote goes to Modest Mouse by a very small margin

I'd say, in case of a tie, cancel my vote... that close.

I prefer franz ferdinand. I have their CD and really like This Fire and Take Me Out. FF stuck out less than MM, but that's because float on's lyrics seem out of place. They don't keep up with the music quite like FF's do, and flowing is important to me.

I'm going with Modest Mouse here. The problem with Franz Ferdinand is this: all their songs sound sooooooo similar! Comparing Take Me Out and This Fire (the band's singles), the song structures are nearly identical! My friend was listening to their album, and I could barely discriminate between the songs. They're just to repetitive in my opinion. Modest Mouse seems a little more diverse in their song writing, and a little more original overall.

[SIZE=1]Alright, not to bad, but I think the two bands that battled aren't that popular, at least not here lol. This time I've got [B]two[/B] for you to check out, one metal and one punk rock. So heres one for the metal fans, [B]Dimmu Borgir and Rammstein[/B]. Now these two aren't nearly as alike as the first two bands but they do have similar styles and sound. Both are from different places and are a fair representation of their own type of music. But whos better?

The second battle is this, [B]Simple Plan and New Found Glory[/B]. Both your classic punk rock with stereotypical fans and songs. I'm not really a fan of either of them but I'd like to hear what you think.[/SIZE]

I have to wonder what in the world you've listened to to think Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand are similar to begin with. The former has several albums under their belt, most wildly eccentric with a very defined style that is still pretty unique to them. Franz Ferdinand has one single album to draw from that sounds more like an upbeat version of Interpol than anything else. I'm not seeing the comparison here whatsoever.

As for the others, I have no preference really lol. :animeshy:

[COLOR=DarkRed]Ok, I can't tell you about those metal bands, I don't like metal very much. And I can't say anything for Simple Plan or NFG, because I hate both. Punk Rock is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Sidenote, why did FF name themselves Franz Ferdinand? Franz Ferdinand was the man who was assassinated, and caused WWI. Why would somone name their band after him? Oh, and FF sucks ***. Modest Mouse is a great band with some great songs and I love how the music is played, though it can't even think about competeing with Triumph or Trooper, or Rush. FF pissed me off ALOT! Take Me Out is the most annoying song I ever listened too, I hate the tune, I hate the lyircs, and I hate the singer. FF Crap. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I understand what you're saying Generic, you're obviously a fan modest mouse rather then franz ferdinand. And maybe they have many more albums and have been around longer, but the point is, they sound very very alike. Thats the relation I was making, as different as you could make them seem, they sound the same at least to me, and several other people here.

And apparently no one knows anything about the bands I've listed lol.[/SIZE]

First of all, [B]Rammstein is [U]NOT[/U] metal.[/B]

O.K., I feel better now. It's difficult to compare the two, seeing as they are completely different genres. I will have to support Dimmu Borgir, though, because I like them a hell of a lot more. Dimmu has mixes in some truly brilliant orchestral compositions in their music, and I love how epic their songs sound. I also love how at times they can be really blasty and at others beautifully melodic. [I]Spiritual Black Dimensions[/I] and [I]Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia[/I] are absolute masterpieces as far as Symphonic Black Metal goes.

Simple Plan and New Found Glory? Eeeeewwww. Sorry, that's just my opinion, but then again, I'm biased: I'm a fan of music that requires skill, passion, and creativity to play.

Even though I despise both, I'm going to go with NFG. Their songs are a bit more interesting and diverse (but only a BIT) than those of Simple Plan.

And by the way, Simple Plan and New Found Glory are not punk. They're pop groups. There's NOTHING punk about either band besides simple chord progressions that any 12-year-old could play after a day on the guitar.

[QUOTE]FF pissed me off ALOT! Take Me Out is the most annoying song I ever listened too, I hate the tune, I hate the lyircs, and I hate the singer. FF Crap. [/QUOTE] Word.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Simple Plan and New Found Glory? Eeeeewwww. Sorry, that's just my opinion, but then again, I'm biased: I'm a fan of music that requires skill, passion, and creativity to play.[/quote]

Haha, I like you, kid.^_~

Anyway, I hate Simple Plan because they are a disgrace to my culture, so I must vote for New Found Glory.

Aside from that, I really don't know enough about any of the bands mentioned to have a fair say. (However, I will say Rammstein [i]is[/i] pretty cool, though their subject matter can be rather unnerving at times.)

[quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']I understand what you're saying Generic, you're obviously a fan modest mouse rather then franz ferdinand. And maybe they have many more albums and have been around longer, but the point is, they sound very very alike. Thats the relation I was making, as different as you could make them seem, they sound the same at least to me, and several other people here.[/SIZE][/quote]

I really like both of those bands. I wouldn't fairly compare one being better than the other. I mean, I was singing the praises of Franz Ferdinand well before I knew anyone else that cared about them. I'm not being biased here. My only point of saying Modest Mouse has more under their belt was simply that they've had the time to go in more directions than Franz Ferdinand.

If people want to compare them, that's fine... but saying they're the same is like saying Billy Joel sounds like Pink Floyd.

They sound almost nothing alike aside from being rock bands. I don't see the comparison. I don't see anyone else here agreeing that they "sound the same". It's mostly just been people complaining about why they think one sucks and one doesn't for random reasons. That's not a decent comparison of anything lol. I imagine if someone other than myself came in here and actually listened to a decent amount of material from both groups they'd easily agree they're not very similar at all.

Recent singles have more of a comparison, but not enough to make a difference. The comparison between them is the main driving bass line (which I won't argue, it is similar -- but that's in countless songs, it's very basic). You can't compare entire bands based on simply that and I think that's largely what is happening here. Either people are basing that idea on a handful of songs or they have something stuck in their ears. The former is most obvious considering the only actual song mentioned was Float On. Otherwise... Michael vs Teeth Like God's Shoeshine? 40ft vs Bury Me With It? I mean, honestly.

Out of the other ones (which aren't "unknown" in the slightest, really lol), I prefer Rammstein to Dimmu Borgir. I've liked their sound for quite sime time and they've done nothing but improve. I enjoy the efficient, clean sound their music has.

I don't care for either of the pop punk bands listed either. I think the argument of what's "real" punk or metal is irrelvant here when you're comparing two bands in the same spectrum. Their sounds might be different, but genre semantics get you nowhere.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]My vote would have to go to New Found Glory. I've heard Simple Plan and I don't like...well, I'll just come out and say that I think it plain sucks. Plus, being an avid fangirl of many things (music being one of my many fetishes), I saw a thing that they aired on Toonami before it started sucking and before NFG was that popular. I thought the behind the scenes look was pretty cool, so I listened to some of their music. ^.^ Unfortunately, I've barely even heard of your other bands, Kamuro. Sorry![/FONT][/SIZE]

Rammstein. Their sound is clean, as Generic said, and crystal-clear. Even though they may be German, I don't listen to music just because of the lyrics. Sure, lyrics make what a song is about, but I pay alot of attention to the music. And Rammstein's sound is awesome. I'd rather listen to music by Rammstein over Dimmu Borgir anytime.

As for the other 2 "pop" groups, or whatever they are, I prefer Simple Plan. Because I hear them on the radio. I've heard some music by New Found Glory, but not enough to put my opinion on them. Simple Plan I hear nearly every damn day on the radio.

[QUOTE]I don't care for either of the pop punk bands listed either. I think the argument of what's "real" punk or metal is irrelvant here when you're comparing two bands in the same spectrum. Their sounds might be different, but genre semantics get you nowhere.[/QUOTE]

O.K., but Rammstein and Dimmu Borgir are not even remotely in the same "spectrum". At all. They're completely, utterly, and totally different genres entirely.

[QUOTE]Can we get some new bands, maybe somthing decent this time?[/QUOTE]
Dimmu Borgir is decent!

[SIZE=1]Geez you guys lol. I'm straying away from so-called "similar bands" from now on. The whole point of the post was to choose which one you liked better, not analyze each and say how I was completely wrong and they're incredibly different *sighs* Its my [I]opinion[/I], which was the object of the post. I wanted to see which bands you prefer, if it involves a Venn Diagram, stop it! lol

Heres some old school, [B]Led Zepplin vs Def Leppard[/B]. Ok, now no one please say "Those aren't old bands, blah blah blah," cause I don't care, they're old, thank you lol.

By the way, Rammstein sounds insanely Metal to me. I don't know the 54096754 different genres so I call them that. Sorry :animesigh [/SIZE]