OtakuBoards

Battle of the Bands

Kamuro

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I would have to say Led Zepplin. I am admittedly biased - I have heard 50% of Led Zepplin's work, and next to none of Def Leppard's - but the few songs I [i]have[/i] heard from Def Leppard pale in comparison to the out-right skill of Zepplin's songs. They did nothing for me lyrically, and the music was just...blah.

While I may not always like Led Zepplin's lyrics all the time, even when I don't like them, they do make me wonder, "What did he mean by [i]that[/i]?" and "That's interesting..." With the Leppard songs, it's pretty much just..."I wish this song would [i]end[/i] already."

So there's my two cents.[/COLOR]

[b]HOW COULD YOU EVEN COMPARE THOSE TWO?![/b]

Nine inch nails sucks *ss! They're out of tune, and they're ear wrenching to listen to! They're bad, even for a techno band.

Tool, on the hand, kicks *ss! I wouldn't quiet put them up there with old Slipknot or System of a Down, but they're still good enough that buying one of their CDs wouldn't be a waste of money.

[quote name='Bloodseeker']Nine inch nails sucks *ss! They're out of tune, and they're ear wrenching to listen to! They're bad, even for a techno band.[/quote]

That's pretty ridiculous. Nine Inch Nails isn't even a techno band lol. I personally don't think that they suck, though their last couple of albums have left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, I guess I prefer NIN, but Tool and NIN are pretty different from each other, I think. Comparing Tool and Slipknot is just wild, but I guess that's just because I don't like Slipknot. Different strokes.

EDIT: I was speaking more in terms of quality, which is why I mentioned that I didn't like Slipknot. I don't think that they're even close to the level of Tool, but whatever lol.

Bloodseeker, your analysis of NIN was... interesting. It doesn't seem like you really thought that one out. I don't even like NIN, so I'm not defending them.

And NIN isn't Techno [I]or[/I] Rock, it's Industrial.

And sorry to say, although I love Slipknot, on nearly every level they cannot compare to Tool.

Anyway, I'm going with Tool on this comparison. Their music is deep and well thought out. They leave no holes in their songwriting. The lyrics are pure brilliance, as well as the vocal delivery of those lyrics. The drumming is incredible, especially if you listen really closely. Justin (the bassist) is a complete master of his art. Therefore, Tool wins in my book.

[SIZE=1]My vote goes for Tool as well, Jake pretty much hit it on the head, as he always does lol. NIN isn't a horrible band or anything, I just prefer Tool's flow and overall solid music making rather then that of a sketchy NIN. I do commend them however, the music they make is not heard quite often, and despite lack of genre popularity, the band is doing pretty well.

As for Slipknot, I didn't plan on putting them in a battle after the "Mudvayne vs Slipknot" thread. There just seems to be a lot of conflict surrounding them, and I'd rather not flame any bands if you know what I mean. I think comparing Slipknot to NIN or Tool would be difficult since the music is vastly different. Although NIN and Tool are different as well, I think they share some of the same qualities when it comes to the actually music. They both flow well and I thought they would both put up a good fight, despite the overall popularity of Tool around otaku lol.[/SIZE]

• 2 months later...
Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
1. Modest Mouse

They have such good songs! And, they don't all sound the same!!!

2. Rammstein

Fuerer Fi!!!!!!!!!

3. Simple Plan

They sing true things, that all punks can relate to, plus NFG doesn't sound good.

4. Tool

5. Slipknot

This band is the best on this battle!!!

NIN sux any way...

[SIZE=1]Well since someone decided to re-open this thread I might as well continue it lol. This next battle is more mainstream and most of you have probably seen both of these bands on MTV recently. The question is, which is better?

[B]Hawthorne Heights vs Fall Out Boy[/B]

These two are of course both very popular, but which boasts the better music? Fall Out Boy has always been an 'indie-type' band, but on the recent CD they've actually added some screams and who knows, maybe they're going in a different direction then some of us had originally thought? Hawthorne Heights hasn't been around as long but of course they've produced some pretty good music, but does it stand up? Guess we'll see.[/SIZE]

Well, I haven't heard much of either band. Pretty much just the singles from both. It's difficult seeing as I don't really like either... Hawthorne Heights has more complex songwriting, but the lyrics and vocals are really hella annoying. Fallout Boy has a very simplistic pop sound, but the single "Sugar, We're Going Down" was (and I [I]really[/I] hate to admit this) really catchy and fun. So I'll go with Fallout Boy here.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=trebuchet ms]I'm going with Hawthorne Heights. I don't like their lyrics as much as Fall Out Boy's, but everything FOB does makes me want to rip my hair out and stuff it in my ears. I can't stand them, while I used to really like Hawthorne Heights. There is NOTHING catchy about "Sugar We're Going Down," to me it just screams 'bad song.' Sorry fan (Fall Out) boys, not for me.[/font]

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Gorgy for sure. I want to say two bands that are...interesting...

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue][Removed to avoid further confusion][/color][/font][/b]

[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]What you had here was not going to cause discussion. It was only leading to people getting confused and then arguing with you over posting it. So, I removed it to avoid that happening from the beginning.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]- Petie[/color][/font]

ShonenSamuraiMugen, you've already proven yourself to be ignorant about Metal, but not only ignorant, you're a straightforward jerk. Don't go around calling other people's tastes "retarded" just because you don't know the bands they listen to. Those were my friends you were posting about. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be talking to you like this. No, we're not doing Black Sabbath vs. Black Sabbath - hell, you don't even know who proceeded Ozzy (it was Dio, followed by Ian Gillan, followed by Tony Martin, who replaced Dio after Dio returned for the second time, by the way). Quit parading about and acting like you know what you're talking about when you really don't. Go away.

Kamuro is running this thread, and Kamuro will choose who's next. That's that.