OtakuBoards

Would you buy a CD from Bin Laden's niece?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]I hope this becomes a well thought out post because it has to be. And I swear this fits in the music lounge because it's about music. But the woman who put the CD out is Bin Laden's niece.

She's Westernized and everything. And you can't pick your family, but still you know how some people are. Honestly I don't care as long as she can sing. But what about the reast of you all?[/color]

[color=darkviolet][b]Singer Sheds bin Ladin Name, Aims for StardomWafah Dufour Speaks With Barbara Walters About Her Notorious Relative and Life in the West
Wafah Dufour speaks exclusively with Barbara Walters on "20/20." (ABC News)

June 3, 2005 ? Until recently, Wafah Dufour was known as Wafah bin Ladin, a monumental handicap for this aspiring singer.

Her lyrics are in English and the sentiments expressed are clearly Western. But this 25-year-old cosmopolitan woman is a product of several cultures.

Dufour's passport is American, her education European, her heritage Saudi Arabian. She is also the niece of Osama bin Laden. Dufour told Barbara Walters she has "never met him" but still can't escape the name.

"No, I can't. Unfortunately," said Dufour.

She has adopted her mother's maiden name, Dufour, and is now looking to develop a singing career after spending several years living in the United States.

Coping With Life After 9/11

A member of the huge bin Laden family, Dufour estimates she has 200 cousins.

Her father is Osama's half-brother and they are just two of the 54 children fathered by Mohammed bin Laden, whose construction companies have changed the face of the Middle East.

The shockwaves from 9/11 reverberated through the entire bin Laden family. Osama's youngest brother, Abdullah bin Ladin, previously spoke with "20/20," telling Walters he barely knew Osama and was living in Boston on Sept. 11, 2001. He returned to Saudi Arabia almost immediately, fearing harassment.

At the time, Wafah bin Ladin, as she was known then, had been living in New York and attending Columbia Law School. But on the day of the terror attacks in New York and Washington, D.C., she was visiting her mother in Switzerland and recalls hearing the news.

"They were starting to say bin Laden did this, bin Laden did that ? and I was so numb because I couldn't even believe what was happening in New York," said Dufour. "It was my home."

She said she was both ashamed and concerned about what people would think of her family. "It's such a big family but in the United States or in Europe people don't really realize how big of a family it is, how many relatives there are[/b]

I couldn't find a link to her CD or anytyhing so I copied the excerpt from her interview on 20/20. I hope that helps.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Although I'm sure its not my taste in music, if shes good, I think people should buy her CD's. I mean, she shouldn't be penalized for the actions of a relative, no matter how famous and/or "evil" he may be. I'd hate to see an incredibly talented person go unnoticed because of their relation to someone who was disliked.[/SIZE]

If anything, I'd say [i]more[/i] people are going to buy her album now. Controversy sells, and this lady is related to the man who organized the greatest terrorist attack to occur on US soil in our nation's history. Had the 9/11 attacks [i]not[/i] happened, I'm sure none of us would even know her name.

[color=#737373]I think you have to realize that most of his family have actually disowned him anyway. One of his relatives even wrote an entire book about how she totally disapproved of what he does and how it's brought shame to their family.

So yeah, if I liked her music I'd buy her CD. I don't have any concern that I'd be funding terrorists or something, lol. I'm not a big fan of automatic guilt by association.[/color]

I doubt I'd even care for what she's putting out to begin with, but it wouldn't be something that would make me not buy it. With the way people are nowadays, this is probably bringing so much more attention to it than it would normally get. It'll probably have increased sales thanks to this stuff.

If I decided never to buy something from someone related to a person that did something bad or unacceptable I don't think I'd have much to purchase in my lifetime.

[quote name='DeathBug']Do I really want to support a performer who'ss too stupid to adopt a stage name? Nah.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]*directs Death Bug to my second post which explains that she changed her name.* Read before you type DB.

Controversey sells, but she's also a fairly decent singer. I heard her on 20/20 last night and she sang Revolution (not my favorite song) without any music. So she shouldn't do too bad selling her CDs.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]*directs Death Bug to my second post which explains that she changed her name.* Read before you type DB.
[/color][/QUOTE]

My bad; I didn't read it because I'd read this story about a month and a half ago (maybe longer). At that time, she was refusing to change her name, despite obvious advice to the contrary. Clearly, common sense kicked in.

In that case, I'm not buying her music because what I've heard of her work holds no appeal to me whatsoever.

[quote name='Manic Webb]If anything, I'd say [i]more[/i] people are going to buy her album now. Controversy sells, and this lady is related to the man who organized the greatest terrorist attack to occur on US soil in our nation's history. Had the 9/11 attacks [i]not[/i'] happened, I'm sure none of us would even know her name.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR="#990033"][B]
I have to agree with Manic that the more controversy there is, the more money she is going to make off of her CDS. It's a shame that she has to be related to such a terrorist, but this will infact give her publicity. It's good that she also changed her last name. Her music might not be for everyone, but atleast she's doing what she loves.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]