OtakuBoards

Doctor Who

Dragonstar

Well, I looked and I can't find any threads on this, sooo... Anyone been watching the latest series?

I happen to think that Christopher Eccleston is amazing as the Doctor and the whole 'Bad Wolf' storyline has been incredible.

Final episode of the series on Saturday... I'm pretty much glued to my TV/Computer trying to work out the big secret of who or what 'Bad Wolf' is.

Please someone say I'm not the only fan on a forum as huge as this one...

I've been watching it also although I have missed an episode or two. The new series actually has a decent sense of humour and has the great sense of English humour.

I know a couple of things concerning up coming series's of it. Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston are both not taking part in the second series which is a bit of a pity.

I heard there was a new doctor for the series, but they haven't been playing it where I live. :animecry: I love Dr Who! I have tons of tapes of the previous doctor's before they took it off the air. I espically loved the 4th doctor, he was awesome. I hope they show it where I live soon as I would love to see it. For now I'm just collecting the episode's they have been putting out on DVD. ^_^

Oh they've already decided on who will be the 10th Doctor... A man by the name of David Tennant, he could be a LOT worse but... he will hace to work hard to beat Christopher Eccleston (for me anyways).

Then again this entire SERIES will be hard to top, with the possible Exception of 'The Long Game' each episode has been better than the last one, every single week I have found myself with a new farourite episode.

Tho 'Dalek,' 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances' are currently my favourites.

[quote name='The Monster']I know a couple of things concerning up coming series's of it. Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston are both not taking part in the second series which is a bit of a pity.[/quote] [color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]Are you sure? I know Christopher Eccleston definitely isn't (as does anyone that saw the series finale yesterday) but I heard that Billie Piper had given a definite yes to series two.

I've seen David Tennant in a few things recently - [b]Casanova [/b]and [b]Blackpool,[/b] in both of which he was excellent, bringing a really quirky acting style that really spiced the shows up. I wish Eccleston had done two series - he's been fantastic - but I'm sure Tennant's going to be really at home in such an offbeat character.

Also, did anyone actually notice the [b]Bad Wolf [/b]theme running through the series until the Doctor pointed it out in the Cardiff episode? Obviously when they did a refresher flashback I recognised all the clips, but it hadn't really caught my attention before then.

[b].:EDIT:.
[/b]Oh yeah, there's going to be an hour-long Christmas special to precede the second series, as well.
[/font][/color]

[quote name='Blackjack][color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS']Are you sure? I know Christopher Eccleston definitely isn't (as does anyone that saw the series finale yesterday) but I heard that Billie Piper had given a definite yes to series two.[/quote]

Billie Piper agree to do a couple of episodes for season two but the show has opened up doors for bigger things in Hollywood. It had been announced ages ago so how could you not know?

[QUOTE=Blackjack][color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]Are you sure? I know Christopher Eccleston definitely isn't (as does anyone that saw the series finale yesterday) but I heard that Billie Piper had given a definite yes to series two.

I've seen David Tennant in a few things recently - [b]Casanova [/b]and [b]Blackpool,[/b] in both of which he was excellent, bringing a really quirky acting style that really spiced the shows up. I wish Eccleston had done two series - he's been fantastic - but I'm sure Tennant's going to be really at home in such an offbeat character.

Also, did anyone actually notice the [b]Bad Wolf [/b]theme running through the series until the Doctor pointed it out in the Cardiff episode? Obviously when they did a refresher flashback I recognised all the clips, but it hadn't really caught my attention before then.

[b].:EDIT:.
[/b]Oh yeah, there's going to be an hour-long Christmas special to precede the second series, as well.
[/font][/color][/QUOTE]

I've heard that both Billie Piper and the guy who plays Captain Jack will be back for another two series... how this will play out with things considered will DEFINITELY be interesting.

I thought Christopher Ecclestons' acting has been truely amazing, particularly during 'Dalek' (t any point while shouting at the Dalek) and during 'Bad Wolf' after the Anne Droid, well... y'know... >.>

As for Bad Wolf... my boyfriend noticed it in 'Aliens of London' and pointed it out to me, of course I didn't believe him until 'Fathers' Day.' The BBC hav opened severa websies over the course of the series, beggining with whoisdoctorwho.com and unit.org.uk after 'Boomtown' they opened the two websites badwolf.org.uk and badwolf.tv and ran a competition to see who could work out who or what Bad Wolf is. The prize was a DVD boxset, nobody got the exact answer...

Speculation covered everyone from the Face of Boe to Adam and old faces such as Davros and The Master, among other slightly wilder theories.

geocomtex.net was also set up by the BBC but provided little to no clues... the Bad Wolf references also appeared in the novels, those were also meaningless.

Quite interesting really, Russel T Davies has had every Who fan I know in a frenzy for the last two weeks, (and some for longer) and the eventual climax soooo lived up to all the hype...

I did hear a rumour the Eccleston would be doing the christmas speacial but I have absolubetly no way to prove the persons identity or truth of what they say. All things considered, I'm doubtful. It'd be WAY cool though... ^_^

[size=1]How can Christopher Eccleston be doing the Christmas special after what happened at the end of the series? That would make very little chronological sense. But anyway, a few things I wanted to say:

I heard that Billie Piper was staying on for the next series, but I may very well have information from the same sources as Blackjack, which could be wrong.

Also, I thought it was good how the Daleks, beings who my generation has always viewed as an almost comical villain, with very obvious weak points (for instance, it's inability to climb stairs), have been almost completely reinvented in this series. They have been made much more powerful, as one of them could wipe out almost the entire population of a fairly large military complex in the space of a 45-minute episode, and then there was the penultimate episode. We thought Daleks were powerful, but I at least wasn't expecting 500,000 of them to come along at once. Yikes. I am almost afraid to admit it, but I was scared.

Apparently, next series the Cybermen have been confirmed to make an appearance at least, but we probably won't have any more Daleks, as you may guess if you have seen the final episode. I won't give anything away here in case you haven't seen it.

But yes, I think this series has been an outstanding series, and I am with Blackjack on this one in that David Tennant should be an adequate replacement for Christopher Eccleston, although he was a superb Doctor.
[/size]

[QUOTE=Fallen][size=1]
I heard that Billie Piper was staying on for the next series, but I may very well have information from the same sources as Blackjack, which could be wrong.
[/size][/QUOTE]

Piper is walking out a couple of episodes into the second series, Like I said. Its been in all the papers and such. I would have thought that you would have heards about it.

I've been avoiding the newspapres all of last week, so I wouldn't really know what they've been saying, they were determined to give everything away... then again I don't know that ANYBODY foresaw that ending... that was spectacular...

The imdb.com entry for Christopher Eccleston says that he had agreed to do onne series and a christmas special... If the christmas special were set chronologically before 'Boomtown' (Since he mentions in 'Bad Wolf' that they went straight from Raxacoricofallapatorious to the gamestation') then it would obviously make sense that it would be the ninth doctor, not the tenth, which is what I would like to happen.

Either way it will DEFINITELY be interesting to see...

Yea, the Cybermen will be interesting to see, being a relatively new fan I don't know all that much about them, though considering that Rose saw the head of one in Van Stattens' museum, it will be REALLY interesting to see what she makes of them...

Roll on Christmas and Series two... sooo can't wait...

I really enjoyed this series of doctor who, it was a refreshing break to all the rubbish on Saturday night, its just swarms of cheap tack and reality tv. I will sorely miss doctor who, but I cannot wait till the Christmas special!

I just really hope David Tennant can live up to the high standard set by Christopher Eccleston, he made a wonderful doctor. I bet he's kicking himself now for quitting!! But one thing that ticks me off, and I?m hoping doesn?t happen, is that i was in a Sunday paper's magazine a picture of an episode Doctor who series 2 being filmed. And guess who was standing infront of tower bridge with a Cyberman.....None other than Jonny bloody Vegas!!! If theirs one idiot on this planet that I wish to fire into the sun its that idiotic, foul, loudmouth jonny vegas. If he becomes a sidekick of the doctor than he'll have me to deal with! Then we?ll see what?s scarier than a dalek! :animeangr

I dooubt they'll make Johnny Vegas a compianion... maybe he has a cameo appearance... which could just be mildly entertaining... I dunno bout anyone else but he were in it I'm thinking he'd have to be a slitheen (or another resident of Raxacoricofallapatorious) hehe...

[quote name='The Monster']Piper is walking out a couple of episodes into the second series, Like I said. Its been in all the papers and such. I would have thought that you would have heards about it.[/quote]

Here I go, Having to quote myself. I am slightly wrong on this... Piper is going to stay for the second series but it is not confirmed if she will stay around any longer.

• 2 years later...
Hmmm, good thing I searched instead of creating a thread when I didn't see this in the directory. Anyway, time for a revival since not having a thread on Doctor Who... is unacceptable in my opinion, even though I came into the series a bit late since I didn't get introduced to it until the newer version came out with Christopher Eccleston as the doctor and then David Tennant, who I like the best out of the two. Don't get me wrong though, I liked Christopher Eccleston too.

The thing I like best about this series is that unlike some other sci-fi shows it doesn't seem to be grounded in the military, like other sci-fi shows are. For example, Stargate, and that disaster known as Battle Star Galactica [spoiler]soap opera would be more accurate[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's always wonderfully zany and the way the main character never seems to take anything seriously (though it's clear he does) is just good fun to watch. I've seen season one and two and I'm planning on picking up season three. I know season four is currently running, but I hate skipping ahead in a show since you end up with things popping up that spoil previous episodes.

So... who else is into this show? Well besides Beth since I already know she's a big Dr. Who geek. :p

[SIZE=1]I'm a massive fan of Doctor Who - it's basically the only thing on television that I insist on watching - anything else is just a bonus. I was fond of Christopher Eccleston, but as soon as I saw the first Christmas Special with David Tennant I knew that he was going to be something spectacular. He's incredible at being this quirky genius-type character, while also being able to make his performances incredibly tear-jerking at times.

I think Russell T. Davies was absolutely the right person to begin the series anew - he has this extraordinary mind with which he can plot out an entire series, leaving little clues all the way through to the season finale. And in series three and four there are some serious heart-wrenching moments for the Doctor, without giving too much away.

I'm also a fan of Torchwood, the spin-off with Captain Jack Harkness - although it is more based on the paramilitary side of things. There are some great characters in it, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed both series of it.
[/SIZE]

[color=deeppink]Doctor Who = massive goodness.

I got into doctor Who when i was, like, 4, but then the local PBS stopped airing them within a year. So, until about 4 years ago, I randomly stumbled across the movie playing on some random channel. Then, a few months later, the series started.

My experience with Doctors extends only to the First, Fourth (barely), Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth. So far, my favorite is the first, partially because of the low production value and hilarious delivery.

I am extremely happy with Tennant, although the only thing I'd say he has over Eccleston is that he... [I]looks[/I] more like a Doctor. Sadly, I haven't been able to catch almost any episodes this season. : ([/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'm pretty new to the series since I didn't really start on it until the past few weeks when Rach loaned me his first and second season boxsets. I can definitely say that I'm pretty hooked on it. :catgirl:[quote] I was fond of Christopher Eccleston, but as soon as I saw the first Christmas Special with David Tennant I knew that he was going to be something spectacular. He's incredible at being this quirky genius-type character, while also being able to make his performances incredibly tear-jerking at times.[/quote]That's what I thought too, even though I enjoyed watching Eccleston play the doctor, I really love how Tennant just seems to[I] be [/I]the Doctor. Now that I've seen the first two seasons, I'm really looking forward to seeing season three and eventually season four. I know I could follow along... but I really want to see season three first since I hate skipping ahead and having things spoiled. XP[quote]I'm also a fan of Torchwood, the spin-off with Captain Jack Harkness - although it is more based on the paramilitary side of things. There are some great characters in it, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed both series of it.[/quote]I've been curious to check that out actually, good to hear that it's actually worth looking into. [/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I love Doctor Who... though I haven't been following up with season four. I've only seen season one and two of the newer one and most if not all of the classic series with Tom Baker in them. :catgirl: I love that wacky scarf that he's always wearing. I know I was thrilled to see [spoiler]K-9[/spoiler] in one of the newer episodes.

Oh and I've seen some of the episodes with Peter Davison, he was a bit emotional but I still thought he made a great doctor. The few I saw with the first were annoying even though I liked the actual idea... I just didn't like the first Doctor at all, I always had the urge to just kick him in the shins whenever he opened his big mouth. >_>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]The few I saw with the first were annoying even though I liked the actual idea... I just didn't like the first Doctor at all, I always had the urge to just kick him in the shins whenever he opened his big mouth. >_>[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Probably because he comes across as a bit sexist, which considering when the show was made is understandable. Just as they had a lot of the "woman always screams when startled" bit that later on was thankfully dropped.

They are fun for the general idea though and the old means of special effects are worth watching just to see how they approached making things look alien without the aid of more advanced computer graphics.

Guest Koteisame
[quote name='Dragonstar']Oh they've already decided on who will be the 10th Doctor... A man by the name of David Tennant, he could be a LOT worse but... he will hace to work hard to beat Christopher Eccleston (for me anyways).

Then again this entire SERIES will be hard to top, with the possible Exception of 'The Long Game' each episode has been better than the last one, every single week I have found myself with a new farourite episode.

Tho 'Dalek,' 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances' are currently my favourites.[/quote]

David Tennant is better then Christopher Eccleston, in my opinion. I watch the Episodes on BBC so we just ended the second season w/ Tennant. My favorite episode is probaly "Blink". If you havent seen I reccomend it [I]heavily[/I].

[B]SPOILER ALERT![/B] [spoiler]Captain Jack is the giant face known as the wise "Face of Bo". In the end of the Episode with the Second Timelord, The Master, and the little robot things, JAck asks the Doctor(Tennant) what will happen to him since he's immortal and after that he told the Doctor that when he was little he was known as the "Face of Bo" since that was name of the town he lived in...[/spoiler]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I went ahead and added spoiler tags to your post. In the future, you can hide any text that may result in you giving something away by simply surrounding that text with the following tags: [noparse][spoiler]...[/spoiler][/noparse].[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]- Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[color=deeppink]I've been watching it on Sci-Fi, so I'm only just saw "Turn Left." I just have to say this about the last 3 minutes.

Oh. My. [I]God.[/I] That was awesome. It didn't just give me chills, I was, like, [I]stuck[/I] in chilled mode. Oh man it was perfect.

I am so happy to [spoiler]see Rose. [/spoiler]: D[/color]

[SIZE=1]If you got chills watching Turn Left, you're in for something [I]huge [/I]when watching The Stolen Earth and Journey's End.

Seriously - The Stolen Earth left me with my jaw hanging wide open at the end, and I almost cried at three different points during Journey's End. David Tennant's performance in all of them is incredible, especially [spoiler]when he discovered that Davros, creator of the Daleks, had escaped the Time War, and when he had to say goodbye to all his companions once again[/spoiler].

It just showed that there were dozens of tiny little references in the entire revived series to the end of series four - the [spoiler]montage in which Davros reminds the Doctor of everyone who has died in his name[/spoiler], and the theme of [spoiler]missing planets and the Darkness spreading across the universe.[/spoiler]

The only disappointing thing was that [spoiler]Rose didn't really have a huge part to play - she seemed to just be there to bring out emotion in the Doctor[/spoiler], but other than that the series finale was [I]absolutely incredible.[/I] I loved every minute.
[/SIZE]