OtakuBoards

Suicide(Common Topic <.<)

Persona

[quote name='Morpheus']The thing is, the people that want to commit suicide are the people in the richer and less populated countries, like the US. People in overcrowded slums are thinking about how they'll survive literally, not killing themselves because the guy they were dating for 3 weeks turned out to be cheating. It's the people with easy lives that can't take anything without imploding.[/quote]

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thats not necessarily true you know.You cant say all those that have suicide all have lives that are easier than others.Youll never know.It could be true then again it might not be.You cant tell unless you are the person themself.

Princess Ai, Im sorry to hear about all your misfortunes but am glad that you have not yet given up on life.Thats something to be very proud of.to be able to stay strong.Keep moving on ne.^^[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one too fond of these types of topics but I like to give my voice. I'm not really into people who like to self-abuse themselves for pleasure or to "escape" the harsh realities of life (does that include gothic people??). I like to think that life is full of twists and turns that everyone has to deal with in their own way, and when they find a way to deal with it then their life gets a bit easier. I know thats not for a lot of poeple but if you take time to see what you have and take that into accound then there's no reason to hurt nor kill yourself.

Now there's the side of those whose life is unbearable due to family problems and abuse taken over for many years, they believe that life couldn't get any better. They always look to the dark side of thing before looking to the bright side, I ca see why they do that but there's no reason to take things that far as to take your own life.

Personally, I have no simpathy for those who commit suicide. In my school and neighborhod there are a ot of children and teens doing the "gothic" by smoking, drinking, and acting depressed. A good 4% of them have already committed cuicide for no reason but to be popular and remembered by their friends, they had good lived and nice parents and siblings. One was my best friend since I was little and he was the first person I told that I was gay and we stuck together like brothers, he was in the goth group but always was nice to me no matter what his new friends said. When I saw him in the casket at the funeral home I didn't cry, even when they read his suicide letter....I just couldn't believe he would do something like that. Is that sounding a bit selfish or crude that I didn't cry?

Okay, I have just read every post created on this thread. Save applause for the end, please.

Now, while I do have a few suicide stories of my own, I shall withhold them. They aren?t why I'm posting. I have no interest in sharing my emotional problems with you folks, no offence; they are simply not the reason I'm posting.

James summarized the points made by the general public of Otaku:

[QUOTE]Sometimes - and quite often, it seems - suicide is about revenge on the living, about attention seeking. When I say this, I think I do risk being misinterpreted. When I say that, I don't mean that it's some hollow thing and that people who take their lives are normal human beings who are simply being bratty. No, not at all. Actually, attention seeking can still be the symptom of very serious problems. And that's important to remember. People can commit suicide over relatively trivial things (like a partner leaving them - trivial in terms of overall existence) and their reasons for doing so might be to get back at that person. Does this mean that their feelings of emptiness or betrayal are any less severe? No. It's just that they are having an extreme reaction to the situation.

Of course, there are many other reasons for suicide. Sometimes suicide is somewhat accidental (in the case of many drug overdoses - perhaps it's almost inevitable in some of those cases, but also slightly unintentional). Sometimes suicide is the result of a failed "failed attempt", which is ironic but true at times.[/QUOTE]

But with none of the offensive language that other posts contained, or the veiled hostility/ignorance.

However, there were 3 points hardly considered in the manner of suicide, except in spoof, jest, and to suggest other posts where stupid.

What about the terminally ill? The folks who have no hope of getting better, and face a future of immense pain and suffering. Would it honestly be selfish of the person to wish an end? Or should the selfish finger be pointed at the family/friends who simply can't comprehend how horrible the pain really is? A pain that cannot be cured and is becoming harder to endure.

On the same vein, what about assisted suicide? The person cannot do the deed himself or herself. They make their wishes known to a person they can trust to help. A little off topic, but still relevant.

The second point is slightly related to the first. What if it's inevitable that the person in question is going to die, but they have the choice of how it's done? Take, for example, the folks who jumped off the world trade center. They [B]knew[/B] they were going to die. Their choice was really not much of one; be burnt alive, be crushed, or die a relatively quick death by gravity. Should they be labled as victims of suicide or victims of fate? They didn't have to kill themselves, the fire/rubble would have done them in just as easily. And they may still have survived the whole ordeal, if only they had not jumped.

And my third point is unintentional suicide. The person has no thoughts about ending their life. But what if they sacrifice themselves to save another? No real plan, no time to think it out, but they push another out of the way of danger only to land in its path themselves. In all likelihood, they knew what was going to happen; yet they did so anyway. Would this still be coined as a suicide?

All right, there are my points. Now on to one answer for the original question.

I believe suicide is an individuals right. However, I also agree with whoever wrote, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". Suicide should [B]never[/B] be taken lightly. Sure, it'll end the pain, but at what cost? And even if a person is considering suicide loudly (meaning = telling EVERYBODY), they should still be helped. Even if all the help needed is an open ear.

Mayhap I'll share my story, if need calls for it. However, I'd like to extend my hand (and ears) to those who need it.

No amount of self-righteous "Suicide is wrong" parading will make the problem go away. Besides the fact that it hurts the hurt, it makes you seem like an *** in the process. This is not directed at any one individual, so please, don't flame me for telling the truth as I see it.

This is Icyeyes...signing off.

Guest ThA LoNe WoLF
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans Ms]xxx[/FONT][/FONT][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen]xxx[/COLOR][/COLOR]

YO wit dat kinda life i wouldve killed a couple of people viciously den commited harakiri but my advice fer people is DEATH is not tha way mann u have to live ur life too tha fullest mann itz tha bet thing to do. Dats why i show ppl a good time espcially if their depressed itz tha best kure for it.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]· Incoherent/Sloppy Posts:[/B] At OtakuBoards, we greatly emphasize the concept of having clear, easy to read posts. This includes correct use of spelling, grammar and punctuation. If a member is posting with very poor quality, they will be asked to clean up their future posts. If the member persists in posting poorly, they will be banned from the site. [B]- Rules[/B]

This is directed towards [B]ThA LoNe WoLF[/B]. I enourage you to use proper spelling when posting in OtakuBoard forums. I found your post somewhat difficult to read, So if you could improve on your spelling- it would be great for everyone. I also encourage to read over the rules if you haven't done so already. If you have any questions or concerns please PM myself or another one of the moderators. Thanks. [/FONT]

Guest soul surviver
sorry about your story its a sad one.

I dont agree with suicide as effects too many people over than yourself, but I learnt about it the hard way. When my fiancee died my whole world came crushing down and I became realy depresed. I had lost the love of my life and my best friend in one blow and I didn't know who to turn to cos the only person that i trusted my heart and soul to was gone. I got so bad that my friends and family didn't know what to do to help me and I was making them sad too cos they didn't know how to help me.
In the end I thought it would bebetter for every one if I was dead too as I had no love for life without him and iwas making the people around me feel bad too. If I was gone they could get on with there lives without me draging them down it dispair with me. So I took a knife and cut myself but it didn't work so I tried an over dose but that didn't work ever. Then I tried hanging myself but my friends found me befor I died and saved me. Despite all of the help I got from my family and firends it took a letter writen by my lost love to save me from the dark whole of despair I was in and give me back my love for life and the strenght to live it.
Now I live for me and him and I keep a bit of him alive in me. Its given me the strength to go on and see the pain I would of brought to those that love me. That realy made me ashamed of what I tried to do and I wish I had seen sence sooner as it would have saved a lot of pain for me and those around me.
No one should have to go throw the feeling of despair that leads them to suicide if any one feels that lost they should talk to someone even if its on the net and they don't know the. It could just save their life.

Guest ShadowAngel
i don't believe suicide's the right answer cuz even if you're sad now maybe later on you can be happy again, that i had to learn for myself. my dad died 10 years ago and for a while i believed that didn't effect me at all but now i finally see my need to be told i was loved and cared for came from never having the chance to hear my dad tell me he loves me. my closest and dearest friends cared for me and tried to help me when i fell into a deep depression... only they didn't know what to do so they just stood by and looked at me as if they were trying to figure out what to do for me. but all i ever wanted was to be told i was loved by the people who i'd give up my life for, but i never told them that and they never told me... so i started to think that if i just died they wouldn't have to deal with my sadness and in turn, they wouldn't feel bad becuz of me. then when i held a knife i couldn't do it... i couldn't take my own life, i don't know whether i was afraid or not but i knew i couldn't do it. so since my friends didn't know what to do i decided that i had to pull myself out of the deep, dark hole i put myself in. so here i am today, still a little sad, but not willing to die cuz i have friends to live for and if i die now i think i'd put them in more pain then when i was crying in front of them wishing i could die. more then anything i live to make sure all my friends are happy and to protect them from the pain i felt cuz i don't wish my pain on anyone even if i don't know them. so becuz i didn't commit suicide i was able to see i was so selfish and never once thought what the people around me would feel if i did die. so i think it's best to just keep living and to try your hardest to find the thing you really are living for. it may seem hard at times but the more you have to deal with, the stronger you become in the end results. my instructor told me time and time again "it's a decision to be happy," so i think instead of being sad try to be happy, think of what you have that others may not, and maybe becuz of that thing you wouldn't have to die

i am truly sorry for what happened to you, but i'm glad you're still alive

Guest soul surviver
[QUOTE=Chaos]A lot of sob stories here. Tch.

Suicide is a weakling's answer to a problem. They can't do anything for themselves at all, can't fight back, can't resist, can't find some help, and so they take the quote-unquote easy way out. In whatever form of the afterlife or nonexistance there is beyond our feeble understanding, you will burn for it. No matter what happens, no matter how bad, you're just a coward in my eyes if you take your own life. Nothing is bad enough to kill yourself, to waste the potential you've been given. And if you believe otherwise you deserve whatever you get for being a foolish EMO child.

*awaits the onslaught*[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]You seem to feel strongly on the matter but I think your being hard on those that have a life that is hard to live. My friend commited suicide becase he was fed up of fighting his couner. He has one of the strongest wills that I have ever seen and has come throw some hard times but he keppted on going. It got too much for him when his twin sister died in a car crash and he desided to take his life. I was shocked because he was such strong person but hardships get to everyone in the end.
You have a good piont of view in the sence that you don't agree with sucide but I think you need to think about what the person was like in life and what they went throw befor you can say they were week[/COLOR].

Guest kajukid
taking your own life takes purpose away from a person, which many plhilosophers believe to be the reason we all are alive, to commit suicide means that a person never looked outside the box and saw what else is out there, they just gave up, no matter how you look at it. Every person serves a purpose, thats is why humans are granted with so many attributes.
"Don't sweat the small stuff, everything in life is small stuff"
[I]Richard Carlson[/I]

Let me start by saying that if you truely do not want to live and you want to commit suicide no one should stop you. (I state later on what stops me even though it sort of goes against what I just said) If you want to hurt those around you its your business.

Now I have a long sob story. My childhood sucked. I was abused emotionaly. Me and my siblings saw our mother being abused and we got screamed at over nothing (belive me when your a small child this can mess you up). Then my mother finaly left the year I went into 6th grade. I had only 1 friend and he died of a hear attack at the age of 12. 4 years later im still crying about it. Then 1 person was nice to me. We got very close and I was going to tell her how I felt but I never did. After that my mom got custody of me and my little brother and I was homeschoold for 2 years. With no one to talk to. I went to 8th grade in public schools and managed to make some friends. I had a crush on a girl but my best friend stole her. Then I got over that and got close to a girl alot like me. I started to love her and I ended up having to compete for her. I almost lost her after 2 very emotional days.(We are currently happy). She understands what i've been through. Her step dad is bi-polar and constantly screamed at her.

I have though about suicide countless times and still think about it. What stops me is knowing that my gf will follow if I kill myself. I dont know or care if my family would miss me since we constantly lied to eachother and used eachother. But she cares about her family and I couldnt kill myself knowing I would be the cause of so much suffering no matter how much I hate this world. I get a knife to my wrist at least once a month but I put it down. No one in my family knows this. They think i'm a happy normal person who like the goth "look". And I dont want them to know. No one can help me because i'm used to keeping everything in and dealing with it my self. Just yesterday my gf tried comforting me it did help since every October I get very suicidal since this is the month my friend died. She put her arm around me and tried to talk about it. That was the first time someone tried comforting me and I dont know what to do or say. There is something wrong with me psycologicly to where I dont know "normal" human behavior. I cant comfort, I have just stared showing joy (and not pretending),and for the first time love.

I relize that I only do it once a month because all this sticks in my mind and the stress school puts on me gets to me. But I still think there is something wrong with me. I'm not seeking pity i'm just telling my story and views about suicide so please dont "bash" me for what I said.

Guest kuroinuyoukai
I'm not going to bash you. i have severe clinical depression and have tried suicide with pills. Fortunately I survived. I like you have been through some major crap but most people have no idea. I don't usually share it. I had a very crazy friend, I'll put it that way. The thought of suicide still crosses my mind every once in a while, but I am a chicken. Believe it, you are not alone. I hope things look better for you. It sounds like you never learned to shw emotions. You can't comfort probably because you never saw examples. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. You are in no way a freak or anything. It sounds to me as though your girl is pulling you out of your shell. I hope you remain happy and don't kill yourself. You have a life to live. To the guy that said suicide was for cowards, well..I won't go there.

[quote name='kuroinuyoukai']I'm not going to bash you. i have severe clinical depression and have tried suicide with pills. Fortunately I survived. I like you have been through some major crap but most people have no idea. I don't usually share it. I had a very crazy friend, I'll put it that way. The thought of suicide still crosses my mind every once in a while, but I am a chicken. Believe it, you are not alone. I hope things look better for you. It sounds like you never learned to shw emotions. You can't comfort probably because you never saw examples. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. You are in no way a freak or anything. It sounds to me as though your girl is pulling you out of your shell. I hope you remain happy and don't kill yourself. You have a life to live. To the guy that said suicide was for cowards, well..I won't go there.[/quote]

Thanks for saying all that. I'm glad you dont think anything is wrong with me. My gf thinks I didnt learn emotins either. After my dad had some of his "episodes" I remember him saying " I'm sorry" and comforting us ( from what I learnd from comforting very recently) but I knew it was just lies so I never took it into consideration. And just recently my gf comforted me so I think I understand it now. And i'm glad she did.We have admited to eachother many times we are helping eachother open up more. And i'm sorry you had to go through some major crap too (i'm sorry to everyone who has no matter how much I hate the world and feel alone for the most part).