OtakuBoards

Suicide(Common Topic <.<)

Persona

Shame on those people who call suicidal people stupid or selfish. That's like blaming someone for having cancer. It's literally a disease of the mind. Many times, it can't be helped (This is in reference to people who are truly depressed/suicidal and don't know why!). I understand that some people threaten suicide for attention (and that is a bit selfish), but don't lump us all together. People have different reasons.

As a person who's been suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts for nearly 6 years, I can say that I truly believe that many people suffering from suicidal thoughts are indeed not in their right mind...but because of a little known factor. People are incredibly naive as to what goes on around them, but it isn't really their fault. I've happen to run across many things in my readings that point to a little known culprit that may be causing many of these suicidal problems to begin with. When people hear the words depression and suicide, many think chemical imbalance, right? And what is it exactly that is causing these "chemical imbalances"?
My conclusion is (oh yes, you may say I sound paranoid, but I've done the research) that the same companies that provide the country's food supply are also in connection with the country's pharmaceutical supply. They deliberately put drugs into the food that cause depression. That's why if someone has a crappy diet, that could be one of the major factors contributing to their depression and even suicide. Low blood sugar is known to cause depression and many of the foods consumed here will do exactly just that-sky rocket your blood sugar so that it causes you to literally crash (this can cause addiction as well!). So what do many people do when they become "hopelessly depressed"? They'll buy anti-depressants. In the end, it's all about money.
I admit I'm guilty of not having the best diet, but ever since I've done the research, I've attempted to clean up my diet somewhat and can say I'm feeling a bit better these days. I thought I'd share my two-bits with others who are feeling dark and negative and would like to know why that may be. Oh, and think about taking a walk in the sunshine and fresh air. If even for a few minutes I guarentee you'll feel just a little better. :animesigh

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Rasetsutaisho]i still say if anyone wants to kill themselve seriously let them do it... they want it let them have it...

ppl just arnt as important as everyone makes them[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Rasetsutaisho how are you to judge the value someone's life ? All life is important, as a life is something that is unique and irreplaceable, once a person dies that's it, they're gone (hopefully on to somewhere better) and there's nothing anyone can do to bring them back. If a member of your family wanted to die or someone you cared deeply for I'm sure you would consider their life important enough to try and convince them that suicide is not an answer to their problems.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles][CENTER][IMG]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8608/youlose16kl.gif[/IMG'][/CENTER][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Gene Wilder, the man with all the answers.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles]I don't know, I just guess it disgusts me when people act completely apathetic and say they're not willing to help someone because it's their choice to die. It's not their choice because they're not in the proper mental health to make that choice! Barring anything related to euthanasia, rarely does anyone [i]want[/i] to die. They may [i]believe[/i'] they do but, as I said above, they're just missing something from their lives.[/quote][i]Exactly[/i].

You know, I was looking at this thread, and thinking about it a bit off-hand. I didn't plan on posting, but I had read a few of the posts and found it sick the way people were shrugging it off like that, and came to that exact same conclusion. I've convinced three people that their lives were worth living, and it was worth every second of my time. They really are not in their right mind set, that's the bottom line. Thank you, Charles.

[QUOTE=kenshinsbabe][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]Exactly, James. Bravo.

There are people here who've been saying that if someone wants to commit suicide, to let them. If it's your friend or your family member, would you still feel the same way?

On another note, my sister got a random IM from a person a few days ago from a teenage boy. In the IM, he said that he was sending it to say goodbye. That in ten minutes, he would kill his parents, his grandmother, then himself. But he never gave a reason. Scared as hell, I went and prayed for him. It only scared me because someone was actually [I]telling[/I] me that they were going to kill other people, then themself. After I prayed for ten minutes, I went and talked to my sister, who told me that he didn't do it. I was relieved.

Until I talked to a friend who got the same IM that night. She said that he had said the exact same thing a few months ago, then didn't do it. Which leads me to believe that he only said it for attention.

People like this are the people that stem the idea that suicide is mostly selfish, which I reed into time to time when I hear stories like this. But what I know is that alot of people aren't like that boy, but are depressed or are "missing something". That still doesn't justify suicide, which makes them almost as bad as the said boy.[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]Why didn't you alert someone instead of praying? God doesn't step in and magically redirect bullets. A police officer will. Either that, or call his house, talk to his mother, tell her what he said. You should have taken some form of action. Not doing so was irresponsible of you.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE] Originally posted by [B]Retribution[/B]
Why didn't you alert someone instead of praying? God doesn't step in and magically redirect bullets. A police officer will. Either that, or call his house, talk to his mother, tell her what he said. You should have taken some form of action. Not doing so was irresponsible of you.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]This person was one that my sister had met online. We didn't know his phone number or where he lived, so I couldn't have done anything except pray or sit and stare at the IM.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Garamond]being suicidal myself ... for reasons that are my own. i believe suicide is not selfish at all. It's by the choice of the person that wants to take their own life. Though many people think it's rushed into, it's not really. I've attempted many times, by slitting my wrists and by trying to OD on pills. I've attempted 3/4 times I would have to say. And each time I try, i have thought about all the consequences and before i did it. Knew that if i succeeded there was no way to come back from that, I had to get my stomach pumped and I didn't cut deep enough.

therefore I am alive today. there are days that I wish i had died, and others days I wonder if i would have missed out on things or if things would have been for the better. Its a shame that people feel like they have to do the things they do. But death is not something most people think about lightly. It's thought about in great detail even, so if the person wants to die. Than it's their choice and for whatever it is, they believe enough so to actuallly go through with it. Than the people left behind should understand that people are going to do what they want, and all you can do is try to be there for them. But in the end, people will do what they want... if they want it enough.

i suppose i just dont want it enough yet, though i would be content with leaving.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]Rasetsutaisho how are you to judge the value someone's life ? All life is important, as a life is something that is unique and irreplaceable, once a person dies that's it, they're gone (hopefully on to somewhere better) and there's nothing anyone can do to bring them back. If a member of your family wanted to die or someone you cared deeply for I'm sure you would consider their life important enough to try and convince them that suicide is not an answer to their problems.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Gene Wilder, the man with all the answers.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

you know... if you know anything about christianity... you know god condones suicide... but... if you sit down and read the bible... you'll see that god kills ppl off all the damn time! even his own son he sacrifices! if the creator of the univers doesnt give a **** for human life why should i? the only ppl who god suposedly cares about are those who live for his sake... and those ppl usualy dont flip out and chose to be suicidal one day...

ofcourse im not some christian evangilizer (at least not anymore) but even for thouse with out some sort of faith, if they have a resone for living.. i say let them live... and if they dont like life enough... let them kill themselves off...

ofcourse this isnt an absolute rule... i only would say this if the person was absolutely confident and clear of mind that their done with living...

most of the suicidal ppl you see actualy have chemical imbalances and cant help it... and in that case i say give them treatment... because when i was in high school little 17 yr old wannabe gothy girls were always trying to kill themselves... it was stupid... i've seen it alot... but whatever i dont really care...

[QUOTE=Rasetsutaisho]you know... if you know anything about christianity... you know god condones suicide... but... if you sit down and read the bible... you'll see that god kills ppl off all the damn time! even his own son he sacrifices! if the creator of the univers doesnt give a **** for human life why should i? the only ppl who god suposedly cares about are those who live for his sake... and those ppl usualy dont flip out and chose to be suicidal one day...

ofcourse im not some christian evangilizer (at least not anymore) but even for thouse with out some sort of faith, if they have a resone for living.. i say let them live... and if they dont like life enough... let them kill themselves off...

ofcourse this isnt an absolute rule... i only would say this if the person was absolutely confident and clear of mind that their done with living...

most of the suicidal ppl you see actualy have chemical imbalances and cant help it... and in that case i say give them treatment... because when i was in high school little 17 yr old wannabe gothy girls were always trying to kill themselves... it was stupid... i've seen it alot... but whatever i dont really care...[/QUOTE]
[B]What are you talking about?[/B]

[SIZE=1]I can't really formulate coherent sentences after reading that post. My gracious...

Alright... God does not condone suicide. I?ve sat down and read the Bible ? just trust me on this one. Yes, God kills people off for doing things he does not find pleasing in his sight. God in the Old Testament was a God of retribution, a very hardcore one. Basically ? if you defied laws, you died. I don?t feel like explaining why? PM me if you really want to know. God gave Jesus the choice to die ? God gave Abraham the choice to kill his son Isaac. God even [I]stopped[/I] him before he stabbed his son, as it was a test of his faith. Harkening back to my sentence of Jesus, Jesus died so that we may live, and on top of that he chose to do so (not trying to get all evangelical on you or anything). I mean? in theory anyway, he died to save more lives. I would call that admirable ? and besides, he didn?t kill himself. The Romans did.

Just letting people kill themselves off? I found that extremely ignorant ? what if your mother or father was suicidal. Would you just ?let them kill themselves off?? As Charles and so many others stated, they?re in an unstable emotional state and aren?t judging the situation rationally. Even if you claim they?re in a stable mental state, you have to look down the road for them and see it?s not worth it.

I?m sad that you?re so apathetic to the whole suicide issue ? it seems blind to me.[/SIZE]

I personally think that suicide is both selfish and at the same time it is not selfish. It is easy to classify it as being wrong or selfish, but the actual reason?s behind someone wishing to die depends upon the person or circumstances behind their wish to die. For some it is a legitimate desire to end some form of suffering. For others it is an attempt to get attention.

Everyone has his or her limits. It is easy to think or say you would never consider ending your life. But until you have truly met or experienced what would drive you to desire death how can you truly say it is selfish to wish to die? For each person it is different as one thing would be devastating to one yet not effect another person and vice versa. I have experienced some events in my life that I consider horrifying, yet they were not enough to make me feel the need to kill myself.

On the other hand as I stated there are those who threaten or attempt to kill themselves merely as an attempt to get attention. It is this that makes suicide attempts seems selfish and pointless. It is sad as there are so many people who are suffering in some way that a little help would possibly keep them from killing themselves. I am quite sure that telling someone who wants to die that they are selfish will not help the situation. I am also equally sure that there are times you cannot do anything to stop them as no matter what you say they will make sure they follow through.

I have to wonder how many people who felt the desire to kill themselves would seek help if the stigma of being selfish for even feeling that way were removed. I am quite sure that for many of them it is really a selfish desire to live.

[QUOTE=indifference]
I have to wonder how many people who felt the desire to kill themselves would seek help if the stigma of being selfish for even feeling that way were removed. I am quite sure that for many of them it is really a selfish desire to live.[/QUOTE]

As I have actually had a time in my life where I wanted to die, I completely agree with this statement. I live in a highly religious area and the people here immediately lecture you on how sick and selfish you are for even wanting to die. For me it really was a desire to escape my current life and live a better one.

I've long since moved past that point in my life, but primarly since one person saw beyond the stigma of wanting to die as being selfish and did reach out and help me when I needed it the most.

[quote name='Rasetsutaisho']you know... if you know anything about christianity... you know god condones suicide... but... if you sit down and read the bible... you'll see that god kills ppl off all the damn time! even his own son he sacrifices! if the creator of the univers doesnt give a **** for human life why should i? the only ppl who god suposedly cares about are those who live for his sake... and those ppl usualy dont flip out and chose to be suicidal one day...[/quote]

You're citing literature as the foundation for your entire argument? You want to use some old doctrine to determine your humanity? Fine. Whatever. If you want to go that route, you'll see that God does everything for a reason. He sacrifices his son to atone for the original sin so that humanity can find salvation. In the book of Job, he sacrifices Job's family and animals to prove a true follower's unwavering faith. He later rewards him. When Kain kills his brother Abel, he's cursed. Overall, the God of the New Testement is portrayed as merciful and compassionate--the complete opposite of your argument.

What are you going to do next? Cite movies? "In Armageddon Bruce Willis committed suicide to save the world. If everyone had convinced him not to do it, we would all be dead right now!"

[quote]ofcourse im not some christian evangilizer (at least not anymore) but even for thouse with out some sort of faith, if they have a resone for living.. i say let them live... and if they dont like life enough... let them kill themselves off...

most of the suicidal ppl you see actualy have chemical imbalances and cant help it... and in that case i say give them treatment... because when i was in high school little 17 yr old wannabe gothy girls were always trying to kill themselves... it was stupid... i've seen it alot... but whatever i dont really care...[/QUOTE]

All right, I don't agree with your posts. I find them naive and juvenile. I don't say that to be mean or rude. I'm just being honest for the sake of my following point.

If I were to follow your apathetic reasoning, it would be perfectly fine for me to shoot you in the face because I don't like your argument. God takes lives all the time! Why can't I? I don't have any personal attachment to you. I should just kill you off if that's what I really want. No one should get involved or punish me.

You see, if I were to do this, I wouldn't be in my right mind. I wouldn't be a normal functioning member of society. Because I would be choosing to take a life, I would not value life. Just is the case when someone takes their own life. There's obviously a distortion in their mental condition.

What if a ten year old girl is being raped by her father, or any close relative for that matter, and she decides that she confides in a counselor, and tells him/her everything, including the fact that she just absolutely doesn't want to live anymore? Are you saying that the right thing to do in this situation would be to accept her desire to die instead of taking the proper steps to correct this problem? You see, suicide isn't always simple teen angst.

[QUOTE=Rasetsutaisho]you know... if you know anything about christianity... you know god condones suicide... but... if you sit down and read the bible... you'll see that god kills ppl off all the damn time! even his own son he sacrifices! if the creator of the univers doesnt give a **** for human life why should i? the only ppl who god suposedly cares about are those who live for his sake... and those ppl usualy dont flip out and chose to be suicidal one day...

[font=times new roman][size=2]Nahaha, see, and some thought my perspective was bogus...

Okay, I know I said that whoever wanted to be ignorant enough to kill themselves, should do it. But I also care about human life on the planet. I've been reading your posts. They're... I don't even agree with them. No one really deserves to die without a reason. You're saying you don't care about who kills themselves in the world, because it's their own fault? So let me ask you, if your mother, brother, father, or possibly sister, were to take a gun to their head, and blow out their brains, you wouldn't care? Because 'God' "kills people off" all the time? That right there isn't ignorant.. that's utterly stupid. That has to be the most idiotic thing I've read in my life. That's like everyone in the world, agreeing with each other, saying you should die, because 'God' takes the lives of others away all the time, so now 'He' should take away your life, now. I don't really think you'd want that. Nor do I believe you'd actually think that would happen, yet alone is the actual truth itself. Here's a question, [b][i]what the hell?[/i][/b] Seriously. Are you that naive? Are you so cruel as to not care about anyone but yourself? And such audacity you must have for thinking you can judge the value of one's life..[/size][/font]

Guest Aliakai
I also strongly disapprove of suicide . . . one of my friends attempted to last night and it was hell on earth, the voice whispering in the back of ur mind, is she really gone?? I dont believe it is good for ppl to kill themselves. Lifes a bastard, u kick it in the face, say **** u, and then wait while it punishes u for doing so . . . . . then repeat it. thats the way it is . . . if u die, than ur taking the easy way out, even if u have a ****** up life. I have a bad one . . . . . . but Im still here am I not?

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Navy]IMO, this thread is inappropriate because suicide is a huge issue in the world and not only that, these forums have users ranging from 10 - 30+ years old. I wouldn't even have an 11 year old come in and find a way to release his soul through suicide. Yikes!![/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]Otaku America, this is just a friendly debate topic. Though it may be controversial, we're only stating our opinions and explaining them, not encouraging every eleven year old on this site to go kill themselves. And not every eleven year old on the site is reading this anyway. No reason to get worked up.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Otaku America][COLOR=Navy']IMO, this thread is inappropriate because suicide is a huge issue in the world and not only that, these forums have users ranging from 10 - 30+ years old. I wouldn't even have an 11 year old come in and find a way to release his soul through suicide. Yikes!![/COLOR][/quote]

I disagree as I think suicide is an important topic and that we shouldn?t pretend it doesn?t exist. I?m only 13 and reading this thread does not make me feel like committing suicide. I actually find it interesting to read as so many people where I live act like suicide isn?t a problem or doesn?t even exist.

[QUOTE=indifference] Everyone has his or her limits. It is easy to think or say you would never consider ending your life. But until you have truly met or experienced what would drive you to desire death how can you truly say it is selfish to wish to die? For each person it is different as one thing would be devastating to one yet not effect another person and vice versa. I have experienced some events in my life that I consider horrifying, yet they were not enough to make me feel the need to kill myself.
[/QUOTE]

I kind of have to agree with this statement. I?ve never really had any truly horrible things happen to me so I don?t know how I would feel or react. I think that until you experience something bad you really don?t know how you will react. One of my friends was really depressed as her brother died in a car accident. I felt bad for her but I still don?t understand completely how she feels. I hope I never do have something happen that is bad enough that I would consider ending my own life to escape the pain. Whether it?s mental anguish or physical pain.

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium] The main thing that annoys me about suicide is the people who wear it on their sleeve like some kind of badge of honor. You know, constantly telling us about their millions of suicide attempts, or always talking in suicidal terms - but without having any intention to carry it out and without being truly suicidal. Not only do such people do a tremendous disservice to those with real problems, but they also cynically attract attention/admiration/sympathy from those around them. [i]That[/i'] kind of fakeness is the sort of thing that I really despise.[/font][/quote]

That sums up how I feel quite nicely as I really hate people who are pretenders out to get attention. People get so tired of hearing I?m going to commit suicide from those who are simply crying wolf so to speak. Then when someone who really is suffering and needs help says it people don?t believe them and treat them like scum for even wanting to die. When all they really wanted was some help.

ALright i read only the first page (Most of it anyway) So if i do repeat anything that's been said then so be it. It doesnt hurt to read twice. Now this topic is always a atteion grabber eh? Anyway, i can relate. I never had a friend who did do it but.... i can relate to wanting to try it or have tried it. Now here's something that's cliuqed and beat the hell out of me hearing it....suicide is a selfish act. Now a very good prist said that and i understand what he means because that theroy can be proven right and wrong. So that issue can be battled back and forth. Now heres the side of selfish. You will only commit suicide if you are thinking of yourself. As for the side that isnt selfish.... *Takes a deep breath* "Theres only one difference seperating you and sucide, Death and dying."
Now that a saying that if you understand you know alot more then a regular person can learn. I guess that the thing about suide huh, It's hard to live a life, but so easy to take a life. But just to get this stright and simple, have i ever tried it? Yes. Will i ever again? I have my thoughts. But i will just leave with this When you think it's so unbearable.... just remember, do you think you'll be any happier when your gone? Because if you go to hell, it's everything you lived just worse.

That whole suicide topic reminds me of.. this episode I've seen of Paranoia Agent. Bugged the hell ot of me then I realized this.. they tried to commit suicide but ultimetly failed because fate (little slugger) would grab them by the balls and say hey,I will deliver you from this for a second. And you know what, a different opinion will sprout of their idea of losing their life. Gotta watch Paranoia Agent, good show.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Suicide (at least in American culture) is a mental health issue.
It's not an issue of healthy, undisturbed people just deciding to commit suicide at random.

I have lost a number of friends to suicide, and, as a person suffering from both Bipolar Disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, (among other things) I am prone to suicidal ideation.

Suicidal thoughts come to those of us with serious mental health issues such as depression and other mental disorders...but there is help available in many forms.

I understand the hopelessness and despair of the suicidal mind... and have had some close calls when I was younger, but I seriously don't believe that it is "sometimes right in order to end a person's suffering".

If we all committed suicide when we were suffering, there would be few people left in the world, for life is often suffering...
[/font][/b]

Yea suicide isnt the answer though it's pretty temping when life sucks, pretty bad. But It's p0retty hartd to belive that is wil get better. We all know most people dont care when we write "suicide is not the answer." Mostly because they think we havent gone through what they have. To reach them we need to show them that we do understand EXACTLY how they feel, show them that we once had feelings that they have now. Especcaially when they dont want to go to a Pyciatrist (sp?) or see anyone else. We need to give them attenion even if they say they dont want it because deep down they do want it and they havent had it in so long that they dont know how to react to it anymore. So they push not accept. Also you need to teach to them that if we dont understand then how do we know so much of it. You need to prove to them, that you do care, want themt alive and sometimes you do need to be a smart alex to them. Well thats all i can say for now. I hope this does help for you guys who do have friends who are suicidal. Believe me only you are making yourself more misable not accepting and help is on the way, you just need to look for it. It's not always goinbg to come to you.

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Comic Sans MS]suicide...i think the choice really is up to the person.but people should think over before doing something so foolish because it really is foolish.people will be hurt and thats for certain.you have to consider how others would feel and u have to consider how u would feel.dont do something that youll regret.

i agree suicide is [B]NEVER[/B] the answer but u cant blame those who have.sometimes things just get overwhelming and people cant help but look to death.i mean no one would really want to suicide if its not the last thing they cud think of.they just cant handle it.staying strong is way easier said than done.

but yea all that we can do is try to help.just let the person ur there for them.after all i think what most people really need is someone who cares and understands them.let them know that when all else is wrong theres still u.

Princess Ai:im glad u decided not to give up on life.and decided to be strong for yourself and all those who care about u.its a hard thing to do really but you moved on and made something of yourself.i can tell ur really smart. i think ur a great person and also very strong.good job princess ai.ur really someone to look up to. ^^[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='M-A-S-H']eh suicide is pointless, but from a scientific point of view, i think it could very useful in cutting down the already overpopulated earth.[/quote]
The thing is, the people that want to commit suicide are the people in the richer and less populated countries, like the US. People in overcrowded slums are thinking about how they'll survive literally, not killing themselves because the guy they were dating for 3 weeks turned out to be cheating. It's the people with easy lives that can't take anything without imploding.

I lost my Grandfather when I was seven. He was my best friend. We went everywhere together. I'm holding back the tears as I write this. I lost my Great Grandmother when I was 10. One of my friends moved 2000 miles away last month. My Grandmother has cancer. My Grandfather is recovering from cancer. My Great Grandmother has had 3 strokes. She is lucky to have most of her mental capacities intact. But I move on, because there are so many things I want to do. I live on for the people that surround me.

[QUOTE=Morpheus]The thing is, the people that want to commit suicide are the people in the richer and less populated countries, like the US. People in overcrowded slums are thinking about how they'll survive literally, not killing themselves because the guy they were dating for 3 weeks turned out to be cheating. It's the people with easy lives that can't take anything without imploding.

I lost my Grandfather when I was seven. He was my best friend. We went everywhere together. I'm holding back the tears as I write this. I lost my Great Grandmother when I was 10. One of my friends moved 2000 miles away last month. My Grandmother has cancer. My Grandfather is recovering from cancer. My Great Grandmother has had 3 strokes. She is lucky to have most of her mental capacities intact. But I move on, because there are so many things I want to do. I live on for the people that surround me.[/QUOTE]

my life isn't easy but i still don't contemplate whether or not i should take my own life.I won't get into a contest of "who has the worst life" but I will say that there's always a better way out of life other then taking it yourself, unless of coarse you're like in a war or something and your captured and people are carving up your body and torturing you enough with [B]physical[/B] pain to make you wish you were dead.
at that point I guess I would take my own life but i doubt I'll ever fight in a war and become a P.O.W. or anything extravagant like that.