OtakuBoards

I need help

mornigndew

If you want a good computer. Buy all the parts and custom build one yourself.

I suggest buying an ATX form case, as it's the most popular and easily upgradeable. Microtek is a good company to buy shells from.

Buy a motherboard made in the ATX form factor, as I said, most easily upgradeable.

Go with an AMD Athlon XP processor which goes all the way up to 1.9 gigahertz, and you can get a 1.5 gigahertz XP processor for $130 which is cheap compared to intels P4 processor which is over $200. They're the best and beat out Intel's Pentium 4. Pentium 4's suck. They only make 6 clock cycles per second where as the AMD does 9 for their 6. The AMD Athlon XP also has DDR SDRAM. DDR Static Ram. That means it does work on the leading and trailing edge of the clock cycle meaning it does more work than the Intel Pentium 4 in less time. But I repeat don't get a comp with a P4. In most cases a P3's better than a P4. Also more RAM's better than fast RAM so get plenty of RAM.

For a Hard Drive I'd get a really good one. They have one's out now with up to 320 Gigs of storage space. Why you'd need that much, is beyond me. I think it's Microtek, makes one that's got 20 gigs of storage space, and has very good performance speed, the best in it's class. Does 100 megabyte per second transfers.

Dun really know about the best video card. I know the Voodoo line of Videocards is pretty good. And my tech school teacher said something but I forgot he said it's the best. I wish I could remember the name, it starts with a G though. Darnit.

As for CD and Floppy Drives I dun really think those matter that much as long as you get one that's dependable and will work like it's supposed to.

However if you'd rather just buy one. One's you shouldn't buy are Compaq's and Gateways. They suck.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ5 Vegeta [/i]
[B]However if you'd rather just buy one. One's you shouldn't buy are Compaq's and Gateways. They suck. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] this is the only part I understand, and the rest, I have no idea. Gateways really suck. [/color]

you don't really need more than 128mb of ram if you aren't doing stuff like hosting or video editing. as for the processor, it's all the same. just get something above 900mhz and i bet you'll love it. harddrive, the lowest they give you now is like a 20 gig, that's good.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by coolkam007 [/i]
[B]my suggestion, since you dont really know a whole lot about computers, is to take someone with you that does. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] good idea, but I don't know anyone who's good with computer, they're good at using it, not buying one. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mornigndew [/i]
[B]
[color=blue] good idea, but I don't know anyone who's good with computer, they're good at using it, not buying one. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

*sigh* where do you live?.. when and where do you want to go buy your computer? *pulls out dayplanner*

Since SSJ5 Vegeta summed up practically everything I could've said I'll just comment on the video part... Oh yeah, and I'd get an Abit or Epox motherboard... Anyway, yeah double data rate (DDR) ram would be the best type you can get right now, as long as the mobo supports it =]... OK well for the video cards: Right now, Nvidia and ATI are the only true competitors in making top of the line chips, and the two best cards available on the market now are the GeForce3 Ti-500 and Radeon 8500. These are for regular users, others who focus on graphics work in applications should get an Oxygen card.. but anyway dont' get voodoos, they're not in production and 3dfx has been dead since the beginning of this year (bought their technology, yet hasn't really been using it). Getting outdated technology would be the worst part in a new computer =]. But since you really don't care about the video in your computer, jus you could always get a GeForce2 MX or Ti-200. The kyro2 chipset is alright, or you can settle for one of ATI's lower end cards.

[edit]note I didn't say who bought their technology - it was Nvidia... dunno why I didn't say it... hmm.. oh well[/edit]

[SIZE=1]Eh, I don't really know too much about this kinda stuff, what I'm using is a Compaq, and it works just fine for me so I'm not quite sure what SSJ5 Vegeta was talking about. It doesn't crash, doesn't freeze, hasn't done anything wrong here. But then again, what do I know? :p[/SIZE]

[COLOR=darkblue]If you just want a computer that doesn't crash...get a *Dell, loaded with *Windows XP that should be good enough with power and money to spare...if you have more money, I recommend investing in a new *Macintosh G4...those are incredibly fast and useful...but just make sure it has a quality *modem so we can see you online...[/COLOR]

Oh... then it may be an old, old Dell? If not, than you can always go Custom if you know your computer parts (cheapest way possible too)...iMacs are pretty reasonable and the G4 has tons of power you can use...ummm, try looking at Dell again, particularly their Dimension series. But if you don't like Dell, then maybe you should look at the new Micron Millenias or Atlas computers.

Just print out what SSJ5 Vegeta and Masterfork said and take it to some computer place.... lol

Any computer is bound to crash.... esspecially if you are running windows.... but it all depends on what you want on your computer... hope you don't care about money cause if you want a good computer you best have a good amount of mula.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Just print out what SSJ5 Vegeta and Masterfork said and take it to some computer place.... lol

Any computer is bound to crash.... esspecially if you are running windows.... but it all depends on what you want on your computer... hope you don't care about money cause if you want a good computer you best have a good amount of mula. [/B][/QUOTE]
Money is not a problem. I just want a good computer.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mornigndew [/i]
[B]
Money is not a problem. I just want a good computer. [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Ok, absolute best advice I can get for you:

Go to Office Depot (if you have one near you) and talk to a computer salesman (I know. .salesmen = bad) At Office Depot (where I used to work back here in TN), the computer people were really good with helping you get a computer that will fit what you need, as I am sure most places just don't want to sell you crap and have you come back yelling at them. At Office Depot, they have a computer kiosk where you can figure out a computer for yourself.

If you want a good computer, just make sure that you go in there with the knowledge of what you want the computer for. Surfing the net, playing music, playing tons of games, as a large paperweight. . . just make sure you go in there, and DO NOT let them talk you into purchasing tons of added 'goodies' that you will never need. If you already have a ton of cords with your old computer, and don't plan to use both of them, then don't even bother getting all the extra cords, even if they say they are the best for connection or whatever.

Obviously the Pentium 4 is the 'best' out there right now, but I don't see why getting a Pentium 3 would hurt you too much. . *shrug* just companies trying to get more money and stuff. . LOL :D

Hope any of this is a help for you. . if not. . well. . *ducks*[/SIZE][/COLOR]