OtakuBoards

Good old times..

TailTactics

...People who would like to share inspiring memories of video games that they wish they could relive...

During, you know, the N64 era...is where i had my fun... Wave Race, Mario 64, Pokemon Red and Blue for gameboy (before all that new crap came out), Ocarina of Time, and lets not forget..Donkey Kong 64..and..Quest 64 WOW.. talk about a few years back. For seventeen i could go oldschool at least to the NES, though i am sure there are people who can go farther. if you can tell, i was predominately Nintendo (at least before high school).

I also remember Mario RPG (SNES), that game was ill...I didnt get into FF until my sophomore year of high school. I also loved Harvest Moon 64 and it was really time-consuming not to mention trying to build a relationship with animated characters and preparing for festival contests while mantaining a farm...but i somehow i managed my farm animals and upgraded my equipment and house into oblivion...

Its hard to imagine how fast things change. I mean i could have sworn it was just yesterday that i have been talking with Pikachu (Hey You Pikachu) and crashing cars in San Francisco Rush, though it was years back. i also recall being very antcipated for games (such as Pokemon Gold and Silver and Majora's Mask) to come out and now here it is years (..which only seemed like moments..) later..hmm..

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Seeing as this thread is intended towards a disscussion about video games, I'm going to be re-directing it to the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12][B][U]Play It[/U][/B][/URL] forum. If you'd like to talk video games in the future, please remember that that's the forum it belongs in. Be sure read the forum's rules before posting there, also. If you have any questions, TailTactics, feel free to PM myself or any other moderator. Thanks![/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[font=Arial][color=Magenta][size=1]Well, I remember back ott he Commodore 64, which was like, a computer that was designed mainly for games.

Some of my favourite games were Superfrog, which was amde with real dedication and care, Zool, which was also a great platformwer, strategy's like Lemmings, and textual adventures like the Math Adventure, and subattack on the PD games diskc that came with the comp.

Superfrog is a game I liked most of all, it was the first gsame I seriously played, outside the PD games disk. I liked the games that rewarded you with progress by giving you fantastic new worlds and more complex things to jump over. Superfrog is like this, and, when you get right down to it, it's a simple parody of the superhero genre.

Though the latter point I've only sort of discovered playing it nowadays through my WinUAE.

Another game I used to like was McDonald's land, blatant corporate sponsorship, but who cares, the game was a real adventure. The newer Mcdonald's games that came out for CD ROM are absolute McCrap, compared with McDonald's land.[/size][/color][/font]

Oh God, the memories of the yesteryears...classic NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear...its been a long road for gaming. I remember back when Super Mario World first came out. Now THAT was a fun game.

[QUOTE] Posted by: TailTactics

I also remember Mario RPG (SNES), that game was ill[/QUOTE]
In my opinion, that was a very fun (but very hard at certain times) game. And I also remember the first FF game I played. It was VII and that rocked. It was also when I got hooked on Resident Evil (2 to be exact), and Megaman. Ah, the memories.

Looking back at the CLASSIC games (Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, Legend of Zelda, Master Blaster, Ninja Gaiden), THOSE where the hardest of the bunch, especially Ninja Gaiden. Whip out a classic on a 10 year old who only knows of the PS2, Gamecube, XBox and the next-gen consoles will NEVER be able to beat the classics without lots of help. I garuntee it.

>>Matt

[quote name='Shinji][font=Arial][color=Magenta][size=1]Another game I used to like was McDonald's land, blatant corporate sponsorship, but who cares, the game was a real adventure. The newer Mcdonald's games that came out for CD ROM are absolute McCrap, compared with McDonald's land.[/size][/color'][/font][/quote]

Yeah, i remeber playing MC Kids for NES. It was awsome, many memories.

[QUOTE=Venge]Oh God, the memories of the yesteryears...classic NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear...its been a long road for gaming. I remember back when Super Mario World first came out. Now THAT was a fun game.

In my opinion, that was a very fun (but very hard at certain times) game. And I also remember the first FF game I played. It was VII and that rocked. It was also when I got hooked on Resident Evil (2 to be exact), and Megaman. Ah, the memories.

Looking back at the CLASSIC games (Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3, Legend of Zelda, Master Blaster, Ninja Gaiden), THOSE where the hardest of the bunch, especially Ninja Gaiden. Whip out a classic on a 10 year old who only knows of the PS2, Gamecube, XBox and the next-gen consoles will NEVER be able to beat the classics without lots of help. I garuntee it.

>>Matt[/QUOTE]

I hear you. Remakes are fun but when they take it too far or exploit it too much it takes the originality out of the game. Mario is an example, the 3D (and mavelously) displayed game Sunshine is a classic. This goes down as a classic game because Mario games are in general considered classics. The NES Mario is obviously the king of classic games.
But take James Bond for example. Goldeneye is a classic game while tommorrow never dies or Agent Under Fire wouldnt be considered classic games. The remake of Goldeneye isn't considered a classic game probably because it doesnt sell as much.
Huh.. i just realized something..I believe they call them classics because the game sold millions. It must be more of a corporate idea than a personal one.

kaboom for Atari anyone?? God I loved that game haha moving on to the later years of nes and genesis lets see Excited Bike was awesome mario 3 of course and zelda!! Ohh yea can't forget about the old Ninja Turtle Games Roadrash 3d was sick the Sonic Games and Megaman 2! n64 wave race was like revolutionary and the first super smash brothers. It's hard to beleive that was like almost or was 10 years ago wow!

I remember back in the day when I got a bunch of snes games for chrisman when I was like 8. I will never forget playing Donkey Kong and Street fighter for endless hours. I believes the games of old are more fun then they are now cause now a days it's mostly about graphics. I prefer the old school pixls

[SIZE=1]Street Fighter for Sega. Which one I can't remember because I was too young to know a lot about systems. Nevertheless, I can still remember sitting with my brother and playing for hours at a time and switching up with friends too. I loved fighting games when I was little because it was the only game I could successfully play and know what I was doing at the same time. That included Tekken and Mortal Kombat along with it. They were my blessed games that I could win at, at so young an age.

In general I remember Mario, Super Mario, and Mario Brothers. I still play those today but it was important because they were my first games were you could turn around and touch the board. One I still play today and it's sitting in the living room floor. Maybe I'll go catch up on it....[/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms]One of my fondest memories centered around Monday Night Football. Basically, in my old house in PA. I played video games constantly in the basement and my parents would basically leave me allone, Dad was always working or resting from it, and mom was always cleaning; so my one guarantee of spending quality time with my parents was Monday. Every Monday night, my dad would come downstairs and we'd hang out, watching the game, and when the commercials came along, we'd munch on pistachios and play some multiplayer game, whether it be Double Dragon, Galaxy 3000, Contra, Super Contra, Guerilla War, Heavy Barrel, etc. Those were the days.

I was a big fan of shooters, obviously, but I still cherish my memory of my first play through Final Fantasy. That game was fun, the level of customization in that game was the best of its time. I also loved StarTropics, but I'd always get stuck at the same place, I haven't really bothered playing it again to beat it.

I also used to be obbssessed with Mega Man, I own all of his games from Mega Man to Mega Man 8, to Mega Man X, to Mega Man X5, then I kind of stopped. To this day, I love any side-scrolling shooter I can get my hands on, from Gradius to Einhander, from Sillius to Metal Slug.[/font]

Looks like OB ate my first reply. Bah.

Hee it's funny but one of my favorite video game memories are those hard shooters, the scrolling 2-D ones where you would have a jet or something and be shooting well, everything. I played a lot of arcade games, the old ones. On Saturday mom would take me with her to the laundromat and I'd watch cartoons and play those shooters, and pac-man haha.

At home I had a SNES so once a week I was allowed to rent a game. I can't say I had great taste but I played a lot of games back then. I liked Lion King and this 7-UP game where you played the red dot in some bubble world or something. I played Mario RPG and Final Fantasy and well...I played a lot. One game I hated was Home Alone 2. I could never beat it. Even when I was little I had this thing where I HAD to beat a game, get every item, everything.

Oh but my favorite memory is playing my mom in battle modes, usually in Mario Kart. I loved beating her heh. She hated it but it was so fun to win against her and it's making me want to set up my SNES as a surprise for when she gets home!

It's nice to remember these things, they are wonderful memories ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Probobly my favorite video game memory is from the SNES classic Donkey Kong Country. Me and my cousin used to play the co-op mode of that game religously. That is, untill we started to get into the later levels of the game. Despite the fact that he was, and obviously still is, a year older than me, I was a much better Donkey Konger (officially a new word: Konger) and so I started to play it solo to get through the levels. My cousin idn't mind because he became my 'coach,' cheering me on, pointing out obsticles, and giving me advise. Suprisingly enough, this worked really well. With him, I was able to beat the game, which I considered quite a task. That was a very long and challenging game for a kid like me, as I was the type of kid who usually warped through Mario 3, skipping all but the first 2 and the last worlds.

But the oddest thing about it was that when I tried to play the game without him, I sucked. I could barely beat a single level in a one hour period. And yet, when he was 'coaching' me, I busted through that game like it was nothing. Weird huh?

My other favorite memory was from my senior year of highschool, when me and some of my buddies challenged a bunch of juniors to a big Halo match. You know, the whole 8 vs 8 lan set up, one team in one room, the other in another. However, we did it at the house of a set of brothers, on a senior and the other a junior, and their house was seriosly built for this sorta shindig. They had big screens both up and down stairs, aswell as a bunch of mid size TV for those unlucky enough to miss out on the big screen action. It was by far the best Halo-fest I've ever been a part of. The absolute best part was the ending of the second game. The first was an 8 vs. 8 CTF in Bloodgulch, and it lasted about 2 hours for a 5 flag game. Seniors won. WooHoo. Than, the second game, another 8 vs 8 CTF, in Sidewinder this time, the juniors were about 30 seconds from getting the winning capture when we disconnected our boxes, ran out the back door, hoped in our cars, and tore *** down the long driveway of this dude's borderline mansion. The juniors came out just in time to yell at us and see us drive off out of the neighborhood. Now, the best part about this was that all the juniors had gotten rides with us, so they had no way of getting home, and the mansion-house-place was in the middle of freakin nowhere. So while they sat there stranded, no doubt still whining about how much better they were than us, we all dropped our xboxes off, grabbes some Wendy's, and hit up a very stereotypical suburban white boy highschool kegger. Now that was a Good Day.

oh yeah..i remember my older brother and i got an SNES for christmas. we never, ever stopped playing. we had A link to the past, chrono trigger, FF3, (it's called that in america anyway) secret of evermore, the star wars games (just beat return of the jedi in 2000 :animestun . good times, good times.