OtakuBoards

[OBGT] Retribution vs. Domon

Dagger

[CENTER][B][I]Round 1, Match 4: Retribution vs. Domon[/I]
[/B][/CENTER]

[B]Date Due: [/B]Tuesday, September 13

[B]Dimensions:[/B] 800 x 600

[B]Theme: [/B]Guns

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=royalblue]Alright! I get to vote first!

[b]Retribution:[/b] Text art. Cool. In my tastes, it's a little too plain. Some sort of graphic would've been nice, even if its opacity was set to 14%. XD But it has that shadow of elegance, and is very clean. You know, that quote sounds familiar, but I'm not sure where...

[b]Domon:[/b] Interesting. No offense, but it seems kinda like the newbie approach. In some ways, that's cool. But I'm not sure if it really fits with the OBGT. And yet, it's still neat, because...it's funny. ^^;; Unfortunately, the image is grainy, and the text over the picture gets blocked out because of the dark colors. A clean-up is in order.

So in the end, and even though he was mean to me (= =;; ), my vote is off to Retri.
*klap klap*[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed][B]Retribution's Piece:[/B] It simple and cut clean. I do adore simplicity, but it did seem a bit empty, like Katana stated some sort of graphic...but nonetheless Retri, your work was clean and elegant and I do like the qoute, very nice and suitable for the theme given. The colors you have chosen do go well with one another.

[B]
Domon:[/B] Well for starters you matched the theme perfectly with the guns part and that gives you some points. But you lack many things, your picture of the mech could have been fixed better. It just looked like it was resized without cleaning it up. I love the humor in it, but the colors just don't go all together. Your work seems to tell me your not familiar with your program, but overall it is a good attempt.

(I gave my little graphic knowledge)....My vote goes all the way for [U]Retri[/U].[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][B]Retribution:[/B] I did not like you piece at all.. It seems like you rushed a bit and the end result came up very empty and hard on the eyes. The black text does not mix well with the dark red of "Guns" and is hard to read. I also did not like the glow effect you used for the [COLOR=DarkRed]"And the Mad Boy Walks With a Fist Full of Steel"[/COLOR] segment it too seems to not mix well and makes it very hard on the eyes. Overall
this is probably one of your worst.
[B]
Domon:[/B] This one I don't like either.. The colors of the gradient background does not go well with the Gundam stock. And the stock is also very pixelated. The choice of text isn't too good. I don't fancy Comic Sans too much, and the Black is also hard to read throughout some parts of the piece.

Even though I didn't really like any of these pieces, I'm going to have to vote for [B]Retri[/B]. Only because it seems easier to read and it's more clean.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Retribution[/B] - I love it, actually. The longer you look at it, the more you see. I like the simplicity, and the lack of any images altogether. Given the subject matter, any image I can think of to put in the the background picture would ruin the effect. My only real complaint is the large text behind the three lines of text...given how it looks, and the subject, I'm guessing that says "Guns" or something to that effect, but I can't really be sure. The second is slightly nitpicky, and smaller...is it supposed to say "innocent[b]s[/b]"?

[B]Domon[/B] - As much as I wish I could say otherwise, as you have done some very nice work in the past, this is somewhat lacking. It looks like a cropped out picture of a Gundam pasted onto a gradiant. The pastels kind of clash with the more basic colors of the Gundam, and at, in turn, makes the mech look out of place.. The text itself looks good...until it runs over the gun and the foot of the Mech.

So...my vote is going to [B]Retri[/B].[/COLOR]

[size=1][b]Domon[/b]: I don't want to be too harsh but... did you do this seriously? Some parts aren't cropped properly, the image is incredibly pixellated, you've used Comic Sans, and a gradient.

On the plus side, no typo's. Unlike Retri's ~_^

[b]Retribution[/b]: Nice and clean, except for the typo. I might've been fond of some kind of image...but someitmes things work better plainly. Alas, the rest of the text clashes with the 'Guns' text, but it does have some appeal.

[b]Vote[/b]: [i]Retribution[/i].[/size]

[SIZE=1]I don't really think much of either of your entrants, however...

[b]Retribution:[/b] It is very plain, very minimalistic. It would have worked on a smaller surface area, but on this there is just too much white, its very stark. Graphically the text is good and its easy to see you have spent some time on the interaction of each line. The quote could, prehaps, be linked more with the subject.

[b]Domon:[/b] This looks so amaturish I'm surprised it came from you Domon. The idea is there and the text is funny, but on a whole it has been executed rather poorly. Little work has gone into the text asthetics and you haven't done much to the image either. All very 'beginners guide to graphic manipulation' I'm sorry to say.

I choose [b]Retribution[/b] as the graphically superior of the two. [/SIZE]

[size=1]Before I critique, let me say neither piece is up to the standards I had hoped to see from you...

[b]Retri:[/b] Your pic seems rushed... and isn't up to par as with your other works, but that's my opinion. I think you could have done better, but understand you were under such a severe time restraint. Alot of it is classic, in your style. And, as someone has said above, there is alot of unused whiteness, even for your art. The quote is powerful, as with all that you've shown, which is nice, but it leaves me wanting something more. As for the "Guns" in the background, it seems out of place, and the font choice is terrible. I had to strain to make out the "ns". It's still a good submission, but not your greatest.

[b]Domon:[/b] I've seen a large ammount of your work that's been posted up here on OB.... and that's just amazing. I'm not sure as to what graphics program you're using... but that is just... wow. I recommend, as does everyone else, that you check the text color... it clashes... and the stock is blurry... A better pic would have been nice...

My vote, due to the lack of quality from the competition.... goes to [b]Retri[/b]. I wish to see your piece improve, and I hope you don't take this critique personally...
[/size]