OtakuBoards

Just for the Ladies?

Retribution

[size=1]So, I've been wanting a messenger bag for like ... half a year now. They look cool, they carry things well, did I mention they look cool? However, there's just one thing that I'm not so sure about. Is it something that is usually assosciated with "women only" (like a purse >_>), or is it more open, since it's a messenger bag?

But to open up the topic of conversation, is there something that you think is assosciated with just one gender, when you think it should be unisex?[/size]

I think that messenger bags are unisex--I've seen guys with them around school. Then again, these are the wanna be goth/punk guys we're talking about...

Forgive me if I smashed any toes with that comment. :animeswea

Then again, what style of messenger bag do you want, materiel wise? I've seen these gorgeous ones in Sun Coast with an asian type design on them, but I think they're more girly.

Or, perhaps you want one with a big picture on Inu Yasha on it? Then again, that was seen on a wanna be goth/punk who is apparently a frighteningly obsessive otaku.

Sca-ree.

Myself, I have a very generic messenger bag--it's a standard issue green one, with a keychain of a chibi Ed Elric on it. I guess that means I'm no better than the obsessive otaku, even if I don't drool over anime characters anymore.

As for your other question...well. There's nothing on my list, except that I know a few guys that look better in a dress than I do.

:animecry: That sort of thing should be outlawed!

[color=#6699cc]Messenger bags are gender-neutral. Mos def. ;)

Yeah, a lot of people who use them (both guys [i]and[/i] gals) are pretty Hotopitastic, but you can use one and make it fit any image you're going for.

Or, God forbid, not worry about such things and just base what you do and wear... on what you like. :)[/color]

[font=trebuchet ms]I've only seen one girl use a messenger bag, so I've always assumed it was the guys' version of a purse. I own two messenger bags, a Bloodjinn one, and a much older Senses Fail one. I've never really found a practical way to use them for school, as I usually have like two notebooks and two textbooks. They make great binder-and-deck carriers if you're at a Magic the Gathering tournament or something, that's about all I use them for.

Also, if you're going to rock da messenger bag, you need a matching hat. [/font] :cool:

In Grade Eight I used a messenger bag.

Everyone thought it looked good on me, or so they said when I switched to a backpack.
The only reason I switched though, is because they put too much pressure on one shoulder.

The only thing that I can think of for your question though is Field Hockey. At the high school level, there is no Field Hockey for guys. At all. But there is for girls!

-ArV

[COLOR=teal]I realize my input probably won't help since I'm considered a girl, but I've used a messenger bag all through college. It's the only way to go, IMO. While I prefer backpacks for really carrying stuff, the versatility of a messenger bag wins me over. There are multiple ways of carrying it, and it's more flexible (in terms of moving around with) than a backpack.[/COLOR]

So just what exactly is considered a messenger bag? I see so many different types of bags so to speak that quite truthfully I do not know what one looks like. Or I have seen them many times and did not realize that is what they are called. Myself I use a type of bag that is made to hold a laptop along with your books. It looks more like a small briefcase than a bag though.

[quote name='indifference']Myself I use a type of bag that is made to hold a laptop along with your books. It looks more like a small briefcase than a bag though.[/quote] [COLOR=teal]That's basically what a messenger bag is... Aren't they wonderful? I admit that you can't overpack them like you can backpacks, but in college, you really never need to pack them with ALL of your books like you did in highschool.[/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=teal']That's basically what a messenger bag is... Aren't they wonderful? I admit that you can't overpack them like you can backpacks, but in college, you really never need to pack them with ALL of your books like you did in highschool.[/COLOR][/quote]
I agree. 'messenger bags' are indeed useful for college. you can carry papers in them without fear of them getting squishified - unlike backpacks. i definately see about 98% of male students with messenger bags, so I'd say that they're pretty unisex.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I'd never have thought of a messenger bag as being limited to one gender, though I can see how someone might classify it as a masculine looking purse. I have or rather had one messenger bag, though I don't use it because it's simply not big enough to store everything I'd carry around. My biggest problem with using messenger bags as Doukeshi pointed out is that they kill your shoulder when you start putting heavy stuff in them. Between using a backpack and a messenger bag, the backpack to me is the more useful and comfortable. [/SIZE]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=teal']That's basically what a messenger bag is... Aren't they wonderful? I admit that you can't overpack them like you can backpacks, but in college, you really never need to pack them with ALL of your books like you did in highschool.[/COLOR][/quote]
Thank you for the clarification. Where I live I had never heard the term messenger bag before. Or if I did hear it I have forgotten it.

Here that type of bag is equally used by both genders. They are considered to be like backpacks and for everyone. The only thing that might distinguish one as being more for a woman or vice versa is perhaps the color as I have seen bright pink designs and more masculine ones made out of leather.

I have yet to see one with an anime design on it though. That would be kind of fun and unique. Well unique for this area that is.

Messenger bags I feel are not specific to either gender. Like many have mentioned before I use mine to tote around my laptop and tons of other things. Yes they do get heavy but the convience of being able to swing the bag around to the front of my body easily to access stuff is much better than wearing a backpack which you would have to take off to get into.

As for other things that could be considered "just for girls". Make-up (eye make-up, lipsticks and nail polishes) and earrings. I feel this is becoming more acceptable and is no longer the fringes of society. Well, at least ear piercings. Back when I was younger (I sound old now) it was quite unusual to see a guy who had nail polish on or his ears pierced. Now I doubt anyone bats an eye.

Small dogs. For some people guys need to have a "manly" dog. Something big, something that could either help you hunt or protect your family. One of the clients I use to help at the vet clinic is a rancher who was a very big man. Over 6 feet tall and muscular. He has a tiny toy poodle he takes everywhere he goes. She even has a little jacket to wear when going out on the ranch to keep warm. He will just put her in a pocket and go to work.

His wife on the other hand has a really big black lab. Needless to say many people assume the poodle belongs to the Mrs. and the lab belongs to the Mr.!

[SIZE=1]I just started college this fall, and I have to say that the 'messenger bag' (which by the way I don't use this term either, I just refer to it as my school bag) is much easier for me. I've actually had it since my senior year and it's falling apart already, but still good. I don't know about them looking any better, but yeah as many others mentioned, there are advantages and disadvantages to owning one. For one thing, messenger bags are not specific to one gender, I just suggest you don't get a pink frilly one with rainbows or flowers on it, that might send the wrong message now don't you think?

Anyways, some good aspects of it are that you don't have something heavy on your back and as Panda stated and many times has come in handy is that you can fling the bag around to your front to grab papers easily without taking something off your back. Some bad aspects about it are as stated above your bag can get too heavy and pull on your shoulder which has been known to cause some people to have problems in their shoulders and also that it becomes harder to hold onto the bag once its heavy and is not secure on your back. So just think it over. But I'm sure you've already made the best choice for you. [/SIZE]

[color=darkviolet]Messenger bags are definately gender nueteral. Did I spell that right? Just as long as it's not pink or embelished with My Little Pony. Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears you're good. Oh, Sailor Moon is also a no, but Fushigi Yugi is neuteral.

As for things that should not be allowed to cross over:

[COLOR=Pink][b]Pink![/b][/color] purses, dangly earrings, make up (unless you're a drag queen or trying to be 'goth' stay away from Sephora, Stila, Benefit and the Clinique counter) flare jeans, glitter (again with the drag queens) and shoes with heels.

Yes I have a long list. But I have my reasons. Oh and leather pants, but then again no one should be allowed to wear leather pants unless they're clubbing or in a rock band. Case closed.[/color]