OtakuBoards

[OBGT] Baron Samedi vs. rokas

Dagger

[B][I][CENTER]Round 1, Match 6: Baron Samedi vs. rokas[/CENTER]
[/I][/B]
[B]Date Due:[/B] Friday, September 23

[B]Dimensions:[/B] 300 x 200

[B]Theme:[/B] Pop Art

Once you have posted your submission (fulfilling the mentioned criteria), other members will vote on your work. We permit those who are participating in the tournament to vote as well. There will be no poll option ? you will be required to post a paragraph at least four sentences in length, explaining why you voted the way you did. If you fail to type a complete paragraph, your vote will not be counted, and you will receive a PM saying so. I will count & tally votes.

Thank you very much for participating. Good luck!

~Dagger~

[CENTER][size=1]-------------
[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24473&stc=1[/IMG]
[b]Produced And Treated With Organic Compunds
Such As DTD For The Pleasure Of The
Fickle And Uninspired Masses.[/b]

-------------

A tribute to Warhol and the pop art phenomenon.[/size][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=DarkGoldenrod][SIZE=1]Got a question, Chief: Does 150x500 mean a canvas that's longer than it is wide? Width x height?

And to everyone: Let's do our best, yeah? And don't hold back on each other! ;)[/SIZE][/cOLOR][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Dagger]Vertically oriented, yes. I kind of waffled on that one, but after a while I figured that it wouldn't hurt to throw in something a little different.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Baron Samedi's image seems to be taller than it is wide, while mine's the opposite. Which way is the right one to go? In fact does it matter? It could be that the piece is posted at ninety digrees angle... It would be really disapointing if such a technicality caused serious problems. If need be I can resize my picture.

The question above was posted for a different piece so it is still a bit confusing. I looked at the "Width x height" part, but the answer says "Verticaly oriented" which could apply for all the pictures.

Anyway, in the actual piece, what you're looking at is my room (that's actualy "tidy" by my usual standards). That's supposed to go, in a way, with the text taken from the Varhol quote- "In the future everyone will be famuos for fifteen minutes. The images in the "tears" were made by making a shape over the photo with Gimps paths tool and filling it in with a single colour or a gradient.

Ah. "Vertically oriented" was just a reference to how Revue's piece would look (since the criteria had it being taller than it was wide). Whenever I write this stuff, it's always as width x height. So you have it right. I'm hesitant to get on Baron's case about it, though, since I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

~Dagger~

[size=1]Neh, since you both flailed on the dimensions (I checked yours the other day, Baron, and I was going to bring it up if no one else mentioned it. ^_~) I won't count it against either of you. Whee.

[b]Baron:[/b] I like this. I really, really like this alot. I'm not too familiar with your work, but this is a great piece from you. Wonderful job. The typography is placed well and "LIME" is in a font that makes it look legit. I dig the chick in the the center - it's the perfect touch. I'm not a big fan of Warhol (his work is a joke ... >_>), this is definitely good.

[b]Rokas:[/b] I'm not as fond of this - this looks like another "Oh crap I have to do that image submission... Uh... there. I'm done" submission. Finished in oh, I'm going to say about five minutes, and that's being generous. The typography is there, I guess, but it clashes heavily with the background. And I have no idea what the chaotic, small, confusing background has to do with pop art like Warhol. Looking back at that... I'm sorry it came out so harsh. I beg forgiveness.
[B]
But my vote goes to Baron.[/B] Good show here, and I'm sure you're going to give whomever a piece of your skill.[/size]

[SIZE=1][b]Baron Samedi:[/b] Its well crafted and clearly sticks to the subject of 'pop art' but I do feel it lacks something of originality in it. I think that you could have done something more dramatic with it than simply change the colour and wording on an existing piece of work. I don't get what 'Lime' has to do with anything, whether it is a pun of some sort or if its just random. I do like the inclusion of Warhol's 'Marylin Monroe' artwork, or "the chick" as Retri so politely put it ¬_¬, but thats about it really. All in all, its not a bad piece I just don't really like it...

[b]rokas:[/b] More cubist than pop art I'd say, though it leans towards the British Pop Art movement which progressed from its origins in the States in the 60s. I really do like this. I like how you've taken a picture of something so mundane as your own room (no offense ^_~) and then fragmented it with a more cartoony, vibrant take on it. I'm familiar with the quote and i love the message that you're portraying. Unlike Retri I don't think it looks rushed or like you threw it together in 5 mins. I think its very elegantly done. It reminds me of Tracy Emin's 'Unmade Bed' even though I detest her take on 'art'. Nicely done ^_~

[b]rokas[/b] gets my vote.[/SIZE]

Baron Samedi, I like how there?s Ms. Marilyn on a can of "lime soup". XD I somehow find that utterly comical. But aside form my being amused by that tidbit, the image altogether is rather plain, I dunno; I'm not too sure what was trying to be achieved. I'm more familiar with American Pop Art to be honest, but I believe I understand how rokas' image portrays what the theme itself is. So I appreciatively find it harmonious. Also, it has a serene sort of keep it real feel to it. Plus it's homemade. I'm simply impressed with the idea behind your subject and the look of it is very nice itself. The thing here is I'm only talking about the image; I've hardly taken note of the text there which means I think your entry?s visual stands efficiently on its own. To comment briefly on it though, I do like why you wanted to incorporate it in there.

My vote is for [b]rokas[/b].

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1]I do hope you don't mind if my reasons are straight to the point:

[B]Baron[/B]: I've studied Pop Art for my Art GCSE and hot damn, you've captured it brilliantly. Warhol?s "Heinz Beans" is probably one of the most noticeable piece form the Pop Art culture as well as Marilyn Monroe. The way you've done the piece is expert and I applaud you on this.

[B]rokas[/B]: While I like this piece, I'm not really certain how you've captured Pop Art. I t just doesn't seem as...I dunno, fun as Baron?s, I guess. Also, I?m not too keen on the final effect it has, it doesn?t really jump out as being interesting.

My vote goes to [B]Baron[/B], plain and simple.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER]Baron Samedi - 2
rokas - 2[/CENTER]

No one else voted, so I guess I'll have to be the tie-breaker here.

rokas, I thought the idea behind your submission was interesting, but it came out sort of jumbled. As the viewer, it's hard to know what to focus on, and the color scheme is somewhat limp. This piece would have been greatly improved by using stronger lines and bolder, starker colors. I'm not a big fan of the blurry text, either.

Baron Samedi, your piece definitely nails the theme--if anything, the images you chose were a little too obvious, heh. What surprised me is that the image quality is somewhat lacking, especially in comparison to your other work. And I didn't really dig the pale blue Warhol head.

Both of you (despite the above nit-picking) did quite a fine job. That said, I'm voting for [b]Baron[/b]. Congratulations; you'll be moving on to the second round.

If anyone has suggestions or concerns about the tie-breaking process, please post them to the main OBGT thread. Thanks in advance.

~Dagger~