OtakuBoards

IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix

dposse

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5862[/url]

On Saturday at 10pm eastern, IGPX will premire on Cartoon Networks Toonami block. IGPX is co-produced between Toonami and a Japanese anime company. A couple of years ago, Toonami showed a 5 episode OVA type series called IGPX. Each episode was five minutes long. This brand new series might be a sequal to it. I personally can't wait to see this. The OVA was awesome, despite its small time frame. This one is 30 minutes long for each episode, and there are 26 episodes. It's gonna be soo awesome...i hope.

So, what do you think of IGPX?

At first I didn't think IGPX was gonna be too good, but when I watched it I was actually surprised.
I really liked the animation value they put into the show, the characters have fluid motion on and off the track.
The mecha designs for the racing mechs were all cool.
Also, the whole concept of the race was really great. I like how they had pit stops and caution laps just like in auto racing. You can tell that the creators really put some thought behind it.

Hopefully all this won't change by the next episode. If it stays consistant, IGPX should turn out to be a real good series.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kuroinuyoukai
[quote name='omnimaster']well i had heard a few things about igpx and some was good most of it was bad. Well i decided to watch it anyways. For those of you who havn't seen it yet watch it. The storie line is awsome and the show is worth watching[/quote]

I saw the ads and thought "Oh no, not another racing anime." I watched it the first Saturday and I like it pretty well. I like the realism. It's nice to watch a show without 50 demons in the episodes and people attacking each other with swords.

Don't get me wrong-I like feudal anime and stuff,but the change was nice.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman]Well I must admit that this was a defintly awesome show. I really did like the last episode though that was just funny... A cat and a dog.. Hilarious.

I just personally want there to be more races however. I think that is where the most action is. They also seemed to keep the action of the race pretty nice, I mean I didnt want to see giant packed robots shooting the others. I mean that Is basicly in a way zoids but just on a race track. Of it was just that then I would be highly disapointed. but its not so I like it ^_^[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
After the 3 or 4 episodes I've seen of this, it's surprisingly happens to be one of my favorites. (Top 10 favs) I was really impressed with the animation and action it has in it.

Sorry that I can't really say much about anything else though.... It's just a catchy anime for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, ever since Toonami lost Kenshin I think they've really gone downhill. About five years ago was their peak (I still believe that), after that point they settled for appealing to not many age groups but younger ones (seriously, Kenshin could provide things to different ages that Bobo Bo just can't).

I remember watching those five minute episodes a few years back (can't remember anything that happened though) and was disappointed when they stopped. then I heard a few months ago that a new show was coming, of course I didn't remember anything about those 5 minute episodes so I had no clue it was a sequel to those until I watched it.

After watching a few episodes I think this is a great show. And It's perfect because it's at the end of Toonami and Adult Swim starts right after, this means I don't have to watch IGPX at seven and then sit down to watch AS at 11.

The way that you see what the characters are like off the track and how they wonderfully tie in people's pasts is really great. Also, going in, I thought this show would just be about racing and that's all, but they tied in team problems, family problems, love problems, all kinds of things I'd never expect to see.

In the end, if you haven't checked out this show you really should it's definitely worth the time.

• 4 months later...
So last Saturday kicked off with the 2nd season, and I must say it was a good start as well. It's just a nitpick, but I wish they would've started from the beginning simply because I missed the last episode. (Takashi vs Cunningham) I wanted to see it so bad, but unfortunately that was the time Detroit was under a winter storm warning taking my satelitte out.

But as I said, last Saturday kicked it off very big. Team Satomi started off as the underdogs, and are being seen as champions, or in most eyes, 1 shot winners or something like that. [spoiler]You can see there's alot of miscommunication going on with the team, and I think most of it is coming from Takashi being over confident.[/spoiler]

One thing that still gets to me that they did in the 1st season is, when you know something big is about to go down, or they're about to make a comeback or whatever, and you're at the edge of your seat. They do that damn To Be Continued garbage. (The only other anime that's ever had me at the edge of my seat was Ghost in the Shell: SAC) And everytime they do that I'm ready to launch something at the tv. (To me, that's good stuff if it makes me react like that)

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='Diablo'](To me, that's good stuff if it makes me react like that)[/quote]

You're cool Diablo. ;)

Yeah, I really like how though they [spoiler]won the first competition, but even though they're the "best", they still have a lot of problems to outcome to make them true legends.[/spoiler]

I don't know...I don't mind when the main characters are good at stuff, but when they have to really struggle for what they want, it makes for a good watch. :p [/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest WingsofTsubasa
If you ask me, I like how they took a giant robot genre and turned it into a giant robot racing thing! I mean, you have gaint robots racing down a track at some hundred miles per hour smashing and battling with each other! :animestun
However off the track, I think the story line isn't as great, it's kinda an action relant anime, but not too much so. :cool:

• 3 months later...
And that action is what keeps me glued to my seat, but yeah, I think you're right. IGPX is pretty much action reliant. (But no complaints from me though.)

But then again, I don't think anyone has made a decent story out of the racing genre. I've never seen Initial D so I can't really judge that, but I'm pretty certain most if not all racing animes, movies lacks in story. There's not really much to build one on IMO.

[b][size=1]Edit: Couldn't resist not posting about this so I deleted and then copied and pasted.

In any case, IGPX ended 2 weeks ago, and I am pleased with the series as a whole. Sure it had it's ups and downs, but it was still a great ride. (For me anyway.) It's just sad to it being booted off Toonami when there were like 4 episodes left. I hear it was due to ratings.... "shrugs"

In some ways, I wish this had 52 episodes instead of 26 but oh well.[/b][/size]

[COLOR=#99121c][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yeah, I though that it had actually gotten taken off the air till I realised it was moved back down near midnight. I was pretty depressed having seen only the last episode but still I think it was really worth it. [spoiler]That one giant mech with all the tentacles was awesome![/spoiler]

For some reason though I really enjoyed this series, It could be the mecha factor that really got me intrested in it but I just though it was rather enjoyable to go through. I was not suprised seeing it get pushed back though [spoiler], Since seeing them start to curse did get me to start to wonder[/spoiler]. But, it was just an awesome ride that I wish could countinue.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

i guess that i might be one of the few who found IGPX disappointing....and i was so hyped when it first came out...i had seen the 5 min ovas that had aired years before and loved them, but the only thing i liked about the series were the mecha's. i found the plot to be seriously lacking and i had a hard time connecting with a main character who put himself above his team and whined all the time...though he was pretty, lol

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I have watched this show a few times on Toonami, and to me it looked "ok". I guess when I had first saw it, I thought, "Seems like they've come out with yet another Zoids or some ****", and I still have that opinion. I guess it's just because i've only watched a few episodes and I haven't really gotten into it. But if we get enough good reviews on it then I might go check it out some more^^[/COLOR][/SIZE]