Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Gaming SNES, N64, CGN Speed-Up !!!!???!!


Fall
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just read this article on a device that speeds up either your SNES, N64 or even your GameCube! I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this. It says it will be released in 2 years from now! It apparently speeds up the speed of your system. Anyone heard of it?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[color=orangered][size=1]The problem with this is that there is no explanation as to what the device would do.

Speeding up your console is of no consequence. It won't make your game run faster or smoother.

For a device like this to work, a company has to develop the game specifcially to take advantage of that device.

And Nintendo hate add-ons. I doubt you'll see a memory expansion with GameCube.

They kind of needed it to keep N64 alive...but they won't approach it with GameCube I don't think.[/color][/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig[/i]
[b]Not sure...SNES has the Super FX (8-bit RISC expansion chip)[/b][/quote]
[color=indigo]The Super FX chip was a chip that was actually in the game cartridge, so you didn't actually have to buy it. It just came with the games that used it. They also came out with a Super FX 2 chip. (I think they used it for Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 & 3.)
I really don't consider the Super FX chips to be add-ons, since the games that used it don't cost extra.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan[/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Hmm... I saw that for the N64... Called the 64DD or summat like that...[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]The N64 Disk Drive (N64DD) is an add-on that plays games off of disks, instead of cartridges. It was only released in Japan though. If you ever wondered about that EXT. port on the bottom of the N64, that's what it was for.
Originally, Zelda Ocarina of Time was going to be a N64 Disk Drive game, but they decided to stick with cartridges. Probably because they were affraid that not as many people would be it, if it were made for the Disk Drive. And they were probably right, too.
Even in Japan, it didn't do very well. Probably the best thing for it was a modem cartridge, so that you could play Disk Drive games online.
Anyway, I've attached a picture of it.

But yeah, like James said, it won't do you any good unless the games are made to use it. And if it's being made by a 3rd party, there aren't going to be any games that use it (unless Nintendo is also making something that does the same thing.)
But, you never know... The GCN [I]does[/I] have three ports on its bottom. One of them is going to be used for the 56K Modem/Broadband Adapter, but that still leaves two... One of them, I know, is a high speed port that could be used with something like a hard drive.
We'll just have to wait and see...[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]The GCN [I]does[/I] have three ports on its bottom. One of them is going to be used for the 56K Modem/Broadband Adapter, but that still leaves two... One of them, I know, is a high speed port that could be used with something like a hard drive.
We'll just have to wait and see...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered][size=1]Yes, the GCN has three ports underneath.

But you don't use one port for both modem varieties.

One port is for a 56K dial-up modem and the other port is a high-speed communications port, used for broadband connections.

The third port is a general purpose dataport. Nintendo always puts these ports on its consoles, just incase.

When Nintendo put the memory expansion and EXT port on N64, they had no specific ideas at the time as to how they would use them. They put them there just incase they wanted to use them in future.

[/color][/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[B]Although I love the N64, that RAM expansion really had its problems. It would sometimes slow the games down. I heard the GC will be bundling a broadband internet deal for those of us living in England, since our government is paying £30 million to get us broadband internet connections. But it's been delayed until November![/B] :cussing: :flaming:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i]
[B][B]Although I love the N64, that RAM expansion really had its problems. It would sometimes slow the games down. I heard the GC will be bundling a broadband internet deal for those of us living in England, since our government is paying £30 million to get us broadband internet connections. But it's been delayed until November![/B] :cussing: :flaming: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered][size=1]That wasn't the fault of the RAM pack, it was actually down to the individual game's programming.

It's highly unlikely that Nintendo will package a broadband connection with the GameCube. Nintendo themselves have said that they won't be doing this, but moreover, they won't be entering the online gaming arena until there is either the demand or the appropriate business model.

Also, I presume you're referring to the GameCube being delayed. It hasn't actually been delayed to November. This is a rumor; nothing more.

It's more likely that it will arrive somewhere between March and June in the UK.[/color][/size]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=orangered][size=1]Yes, the GCN has three ports underneath.

But you don't use one port for both modem varieties.

One port is for a 56K dial-up modem and the other port is a high-speed communications port, used for broadband connections.

The third port is a general purpose dataport. Nintendo always puts these ports on its consoles, just incase.

When Nintendo put the memory expansion and EXT port on N64, they had no specific ideas at the time as to how they would use them. They put them there just incase they wanted to use them in future.

[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]If you use differant ports for the 56K Modem and Broadband Adapter, how come they're both shaped the same, but the ports are differant shapes?
I have some pictures of the 56K Modem and the Broadband Adapter (that I got off of [url]www.nintendo.com[/url]) and they're both shaped the same.
See for yourself:[/color]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...