Fall Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 I've just read this article on a device that speeds up either your SNES, N64 or even your GameCube! I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this. It says it will be released in 2 years from now! It apparently speeds up the speed of your system. Anyone heard of it?
Sephiroth Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 erm, nope, first I've heard of it, I doubt such a thing exists, though....
RicoTranzrig Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 Not sure...SNES has the Super FX (8-bit RISC expansion chip) N64 has the extra Rambus DRAM expansion pack. GameCube? It might...later on. But why such a device though...the games run fine...
Guest Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 [size=1][b][color=darkblue]Really? That would be cool to have a speedy device. Where did you read it at?[/color][/b][/size]
Shy Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 [SIZE=1]Sounds like something a website made up rather than an actual fact. Why would they announce it if it wasn't going to come out for two years?[/SIZE]
James Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 [color=orangered][size=1]The problem with this is that there is no explanation as to what the device would do. Speeding up your console is of no consequence. It won't make your game run faster or smoother. For a device like this to work, a company has to develop the game specifcially to take advantage of that device. And Nintendo hate add-ons. I doubt you'll see a memory expansion with GameCube. They kind of needed it to keep N64 alive...but they won't approach it with GameCube I don't think.[/color][/size]
Break Posted December 6, 2001 Posted December 6, 2001 [SIZE=1]Hmm... I saw that for the N64... Called the 64DD or summat like that...[/SIZE]
Fall Posted December 7, 2001 Author Posted December 7, 2001 Yes, there would be no reason of what it would be for.........all it says is that it would speed up the speed of the system........... I got this information from a page on IGN.........
Desbreko Posted December 7, 2001 Posted December 7, 2001 [quote][i]Originally posted by RicoTranzrig[/i] [b]Not sure...SNES has the Super FX (8-bit RISC expansion chip)[/b][/quote] [color=indigo]The Super FX chip was a chip that was actually in the game cartridge, so you didn't actually have to buy it. It just came with the games that used it. They also came out with a Super FX 2 chip. (I think they used it for Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 & 3.) I really don't consider the Super FX chips to be add-ons, since the games that used it don't cost extra.[/color] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan[/i] [B][SIZE=1]Hmm... I saw that for the N64... Called the 64DD or summat like that...[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=indigo]The N64 Disk Drive (N64DD) is an add-on that plays games off of disks, instead of cartridges. It was only released in Japan though. If you ever wondered about that EXT. port on the bottom of the N64, that's what it was for. Originally, Zelda Ocarina of Time was going to be a N64 Disk Drive game, but they decided to stick with cartridges. Probably because they were affraid that not as many people would be it, if it were made for the Disk Drive. And they were probably right, too. Even in Japan, it didn't do very well. Probably the best thing for it was a modem cartridge, so that you could play Disk Drive games online. Anyway, I've attached a picture of it. But yeah, like James said, it won't do you any good unless the games are made to use it. And if it's being made by a 3rd party, there aren't going to be any games that use it (unless Nintendo is also making something that does the same thing.) But, you never know... The GCN [I]does[/I] have three ports on its bottom. One of them is going to be used for the 56K Modem/Broadband Adapter, but that still leaves two... One of them, I know, is a high speed port that could be used with something like a hard drive. We'll just have to wait and see...[/color]
James Posted December 7, 2001 Posted December 7, 2001 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i] [B] [color=indigo]The GCN [I]does[/I] have three ports on its bottom. One of them is going to be used for the 56K Modem/Broadband Adapter, but that still leaves two... One of them, I know, is a high speed port that could be used with something like a hard drive. We'll just have to wait and see...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=orangered][size=1]Yes, the GCN has three ports underneath. But you don't use one port for both modem varieties. One port is for a 56K dial-up modem and the other port is a high-speed communications port, used for broadband connections. The third port is a general purpose dataport. Nintendo always puts these ports on its consoles, just incase. When Nintendo put the memory expansion and EXT port on N64, they had no specific ideas at the time as to how they would use them. They put them there just incase they wanted to use them in future. [/color][/size]
Red Posted December 7, 2001 Posted December 7, 2001 [B]Although I love the N64, that RAM expansion really had its problems. It would sometimes slow the games down. I heard the GC will be bundling a broadband internet deal for those of us living in England, since our government is paying £30 million to get us broadband internet connections. But it's been delayed until November![/B] :cussing: :flaming:
James Posted December 7, 2001 Posted December 7, 2001 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Elite DBZ [/i] [B][B]Although I love the N64, that RAM expansion really had its problems. It would sometimes slow the games down. I heard the GC will be bundling a broadband internet deal for those of us living in England, since our government is paying £30 million to get us broadband internet connections. But it's been delayed until November![/B] :cussing: :flaming: [/B][/QUOTE] [color=orangered][size=1]That wasn't the fault of the RAM pack, it was actually down to the individual game's programming. It's highly unlikely that Nintendo will package a broadband connection with the GameCube. Nintendo themselves have said that they won't be doing this, but moreover, they won't be entering the online gaming arena until there is either the demand or the appropriate business model. Also, I presume you're referring to the GameCube being delayed. It hasn't actually been delayed to November. This is a rumor; nothing more. It's more likely that it will arrive somewhere between March and June in the UK.[/color][/size]
Desbreko Posted December 7, 2001 Posted December 7, 2001 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i] [B] [color=orangered][size=1]Yes, the GCN has three ports underneath. But you don't use one port for both modem varieties. One port is for a 56K dial-up modem and the other port is a high-speed communications port, used for broadband connections. The third port is a general purpose dataport. Nintendo always puts these ports on its consoles, just incase. When Nintendo put the memory expansion and EXT port on N64, they had no specific ideas at the time as to how they would use them. They put them there just incase they wanted to use them in future. [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=indigo]If you use differant ports for the 56K Modem and Broadband Adapter, how come they're both shaped the same, but the ports are differant shapes? I have some pictures of the 56K Modem and the Broadband Adapter (that I got off of [url]www.nintendo.com[/url]) and they're both shaped the same. See for yourself:[/color]
Fall Posted December 8, 2001 Author Posted December 8, 2001 yes, for the phone-line cord to go in......... every port uses a phone-line cord. :smoke:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now