OtakuBoards

Guitar help please

Howlingvampire4

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Plug it in and rawk, man. :animesmil

But seriously, plug it in then turn on your amplifier. Learn a few chords from an instructional DVD or book, then play 'til your fingers bleed. If you can read tablature, go to Google and type in "guitar tabs" to learn songs. I would myself, but I'm far too lazzzzzy.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Billy Shears][color=navy][size=1]Plug it in and rawk, man. :animesmil

But seriously, plug it in then turn on your amplifier. Learn a few chords from an instructional DVD or book, then play 'til your fingers bleed. If you can read tablature, go to Google and type in "guitar tabs" to learn songs. I would myself, but I'm far too lazzzzzy.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]
Awesome thnx a lot! I'm gonna check it out now! :D Yeah, I got a DVD with it, but I practicaly fall asleep tryin to listen to the guy, and the book is no help at all, I don't understand a single word it says..... :animeswea then it only has like 2 pages on how to use it, then the rest of the book is the history of guitars......... :animeangr
:animesigh :D

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
:(
AH! I found some guitar tabs online to the HIM song:Close to the Flame, but I have NO IDEA what the heck they say, like what string is what. oh and these are bass tabs, cuz that's what I'm tryin to learn......I still don't understand them though. :animeangr
Close To The Flame Bass Tab by Him, [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/"]www.Ultimate-Guitar.Com[/url]

[QUOTE]Artist: Him
Song: Close to the flame
Album: Deep shadows and brilliant highlights
standard tunning

Main Riff (00:10) x1
C--------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------0--0-0--0-0--
A---------------2--2-2--2-0-2-3--3-3--3-2-3--------------
E-3--3-3--3-2-3------------------------------------------

Verse (00:21) x4
C----------------------------------------------------
D-2--2-2--2-0-2-0--0-0--0----------------------------
A--------------------------0--0-0--0-0-0-0--2--0-----
E-------------------------------------------------3--

Main Riff again (01:04) x2

Verse (01:26) x4

Main Riff (02:09) x2

Guitar solo (02:31)
C------------------------------------------
D----------------------------------0-------
A------------------2---2---0-3---3---------
E--3---3-2-3---2-3---------------------10/-

Main Riff (02:53) x4

...end...[/QUOTE]:animestun :animenose
I have no idea what these are supposed to be so......can someone help? :animesigh

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double posting is not allowed. Please use the edit button in the future.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

Alright. The lines each represent a string on your guitar. The bottom line is your E string (the biggest, fattest string). Each line above that is the next string.

The numbers on the lines represent which fret you play on that string.

C ----------------
D -2--2--2--2---
A ----------------
E ----------------

For example, this is telling you to play the 2nd fret on the D string four times.

Any zeros on the tab mean that you play that string open (without pressing down on any of the frets).

Hopefully that'll help you get started on your tabbing adventures.

And you're gonna hear this a LOT, so I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but it must be said: PRACTICE CONSTANTLY! Every extra second you find yourself with, sit down with your axe and jam. Even if it's just improv, it helps.

[QUOTE=Jakehammaren]Alright. The lines each represent a string on your guitar. The bottom line is your E string (the biggest, fattest string). Each line above that is the next string.

The numbers on the lines represent which fret you play on that string.

C ----------------
D -2--2--2--2---
A ----------------
E ----------------

For example, this is telling you to play the 2nd fret on the D string four times.

Any zeros on the tab mean that you play that string open (without pressing down on any of the frets).

Hopefully that'll help you get started on your tabbing adventures.

And you're gonna hear this a LOT, so I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but it must be said: PRACTICE CONSTANTLY! Every extra second you find yourself with, sit down with your axe and jam. Even if it's just improv, it helps.[/QUOTE]
um........srry this is probably a stupid question......what's a fret?
lol srry I'm completely new to this and i am i really need help lol. :animesmil :animesigh :animeswea

Ok, frets are like little dividers on the neck. Notice that your neck is divided into different sections by a metal bar? Each part [I]between[/I] the metal bars are called "frets." You press your finger on the string (that your music sheet says to) right up against the metal bar...and viola! I'm not sure how many frets there are on a base...anyways, hope that helps!

-Random

[QUOTE=Random]Ok, frets are like little dividers on the neck. Notice that your neck is divided into different sections by a metal bar? Each part [I]between[/I] the metal bars are called "frets." You press your finger on the string (that your music sheet says to) right up against the metal bar...and viola! I'm not sure how many frets there are on a base...anyways, hope that helps!

-Random[/QUOTE]

Awesome thnx, I'll give it a try. :D

I just started guitar, too. After a little Googling, I found what is so far a great site to start learning on. Very much a "pick-up-the-guitar-and-go" style of teaching. You can find it [url="http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm"][u]here[/u][/url].

A few warnings, though: 1) the site seems designed for learning on acoustic, so I don't know what effect that'll have with you learning electric first, and 2) it's at About.com, so I hope you've either got Firefox or a love of popups. :P

[QUOTE=John]I just started guitar, too. After a little Googling, I found what is so far a great site to start learning on. Very much a "pick-up-the-guitar-and-go" style of teaching. You can find it [url="http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm"][u]here[/u][/url].

A few warnings, though: 1) the site seems designed for learning on acoustic, so I don't know what effect that'll have with you learning electric first, and 2) it's at About.com, so I hope you've either got Firefox or a love of popups. :P[/QUOTE]

Thnx, but I think I'lll try sumthin else. :animeswea :animesmil
Well, I got a new question people! lol
How do I tune my guitar to bass? The guitar came with sumthings to tune it, but I can figue out how to adjust the guitar to bass without having the strings too loose. :animesigh

[QUOTE=Howlingvampire4]Thnx, but I think I'lll try sumthin else. :animeswea :animesmil
Well, I got a new question people! lol
How do I tune my guitar to bass? The guitar came with sumthings to tune it, but I can figue out how to adjust the guitar to bass without having the strings too loose. :animesigh[/QUOTE]

A bass and a guitar are two different instruments. So you can't "tune the guitar to bass". Here is a site you might find helpful on further questions: [url]www.cyberfret.com[/url]

Well, [U]Guitar For Dummies[/U] is good I've heard as far as books go. I'm in guitar lessons though, and they work pretty well. Start off learning basic chords like E Minor, D, C, G, stuff like that. Then start learning some basic songs like Green Day - "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is pretty simple. Also, practice, practice, practice. Practice at least 30 minutes a day. If you keep on like that, you should be playing songs within a week or two. Also [url]www.about.com[/url] has some good articles you could read. Good luck dude. Rock on!!! :flasher: