OtakuBoards

CGI graphics in movies, not in videogames

Nomura

Have you ever seen a CGI movie with graphics that if you didn't know it was CGI, you might think parts of it were real? Have ya noticed they don't really put that much effort into a game? I mean, some games have put things similiar to CGI movies, like Final Fantasy(Looked just like one) Tekken five(Graphics went down within gameplay), Xenosaga, Metal Gear solid(not as good, but close)and other games... Would you guys like to see Movie graphics in games for our older systems? (PS2, Xbox, GC, NDS)

This isn't gonna sound a little weird, but bear with me. I don't want my game graphics to look realistic (well, maybe war games and splinter cell), but I still want their quality to improve. I want to know that I'm playing a game and clearly be able to see it. That's one of the great things about games. You know they aren't real and the graphics help to emphasize that. It just kind of adds to the overall experience, at least for me.

It's not just a matter of "effort," there's also the issue of the limitations of the consoles' hardware. The reason that Tekken and Final Fantasy's opening sequences are so high-quality is because they're pre-rendered, like a movie file. Such things are not possible in-game on any current console.

Metal Gear is always in-engine, so I don't know what you're getting at there.

Some games need realism, but I would like to see more "artistic" games. Killer 7 and the upcoming Okami are good examples of different-looking games.

I don't think it's always about effort. I mean, any game company nowadays can afford to throw in good graphics. Usually it's style issues. Cel shading, for example, has been fairly popular lately.

Also, OtakuSennen brought up a good point about in-game graphics, I'll agree with that and won't touch on it further lol

Really though, I'd rather games didn't get...too realisitic unless it fits that game's style. A lot of games will look fine with cutesy graphics, just the in-game graphics, cel-shaded, etc. The mood of the game, to me, will be helped or hindered by the graphics.

Remember, movies aren't video games. I can be deeply involved in a game, like Disgaea, without incredible graphics. All I need are plot and characters. In fact, I like the graphics of Disgaea. Video games are more an escape from reality and movies tend to be more like an alternate reality. But that's just one view on the graphics debate.

Also, the OP mentioned Xenosaga. I rather liked the first game's more anime style graphics and found the more real graphics of the second game to be disappointing.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I guess there are some times which I would like to see some games CGI become more realistic so it would be like we were in the game itself, but then wouldn't we be too absorbed into the game itself than in real life? Like, we would think that the game is real life and forget about the world? I know I'm spouting nonsense here, but that's what I think anyways. =)

Isn't there only a limited amount to how much good graphics can be in a game for a certian counsel? Like, the Xbox has a little better graphics than the PS2 because maybe it has a certian hard drive or something? Haha... I'm not an electronic expert as you can see.

As people have said before, I can get deeply involved and emotionally moved by a game that doesn't have very good graphics, like The Legend of Dragoon or the old FF games. A lot of the games that are close to my heart don't have the most awesomest graphics, they have a good plot and a good cast characters. If the plot is good and makes me feel for it, then I really don't care much for the graphics. I just think that graphics add a little more to the game, but it's not the whole game itself, though.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sennen, not just talking 'bout the opening sequences, though they were good. MGS's graphics, don't really get out to me...The mouths don't match, though it's okay, cuz it's japanese, but more importantly, they don't seem real enough to me. Like, when Snake pops his arm back in place, it didn't look like he tried very hard... But, I'm still in love with MGS... Anyone seen Ark or Final Fantasy, the movie? Those were some graphics, that should be in cut-scenes. I can't blame cel-shade, or anime looking graphics. Anime games wanta look like the anime, cel-shade or not, so they don't overly graphicize (made up word,LOL). Capcom and Konami, have been trying to perfect their games' graphics, and I'm really proud of the remastered Resident Evil 4. Clock tower3's graphics are similiar to it, but RE4's definitely better. One thing companies can do is, try to change the bad guys up a bit. Most games...It looks like the bad guys has 100 twin brothers walking around, if you know what I mean... They all look the same! I saw Metal Gear Solid 4 in PS2 magazine the other day, and I was wondering "Why's is there a real old guy in the magazine?" I came to find out it was Snake, as an old man, and that he wasn't real. I thought he was real! LOL, that's gotta be movie graphics, but I guess it'll only be on PS3, since the capacity of Ps2 can't take it all in...

Any special games you'd like to see with better or movie graphics?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mr.Snuggles
It'd be great if games had graphics like those movies. But consoles and most PCs simply aren't strong enough yet to handle that much power. One Cinematic scene from FFX the game had around 1000 FPS, which is friggin insane in gameplay by computer standards. Newer consoles like the PS3 and the XBOX 360 are just a step closer to very high quality gaming, But I doubt we'd see anything really amazing (unless a revolution occurs) until a few decades later.