OtakuBoards

Citizen's Arrest

Anime Elf

I don't really understand how a citizen's arrest works, although I've tried to learn, that darn legal jargon gets me everytime. So, could someone explain it to me in layman's terms and I was also wondering if anyone has/knows anyone who has made one before.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen%27s_arrest"]linky-link[/url]

Something everyone should know is that Wikipedia has the answer to everything. I'm not joking, either. [i]Everything[/i].

And no, I've never seen a citizen's arrest, or even heard of one being made. I'd love to witness one some day, though. I think it'd be a hilarious irony to watch.

I didn't think this would be a good discussion topic at all when I first saw this thread, but I guess it really could be, what with the dangers and politics of the situation, and I'd guess that at least someone around here has witnessed one before, so that could make a good tale.

I hate to cop-out (haha pardon the pun) but I can't think of a better source for layman's explainations: [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen%27s_arrest]Wikipedia: Citizen's arrest[/URL]

To move the thread forward a bit:
-Does anyone have a story of citizen's arrest?
-What are your thoughts about it? Is it effective?

Haha, i forgot to press "submit" before going off to watch a show on comedy central. I had linked the same thing :D

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well I never knew about how a Citizen's Arrest really worked before. I knew of it just not how to use it or anything like that. However from what I have taken in from the reading. How is being able to make a Citizen's Arrest and being a Vigilante different?

And yes Wikipedia really does have everything. I mean just look at the numbers of links!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I admit I never thought citizen's arrests occurred, though seeing as nobody has actually witnessed such an event perhaps they don't occur all that often, once in a blue moon comes to mind. Still I agree it must be an exceptionally amusing scenario to see someone who is not a police officer, arrest a law breaker and then view the resulting sparks. Personally thought, I prefer to leave matters of law and the arresting of criminals to those trained to do so. [/SIZE]

Whoa, yeah wikipedia. I try to get info from people instead of an online encyclopedia that anyone can update (if that makes sense to anyone). I'm weird like that.

Anyway, so if citizen's arrests are just for felonies (for the most part), then I can understand why they aren't so common.

Also, I don't think the article covered this, but if a private citizen was making the arrest while posing as an authority figure, how would that work out? Say it was for a misdemeanor (class b or something) and you pretend you're a cop and you arrest someone. While not a felony (and let's say that's what your state allows), they were still breaking the law, and you're arresting them for it. I'm sure you'd get in trouble for impersonating a cop, but would they let it go for arresting a criminal or would the criminal get let off because you aren't a cop?

[color=crimson] I recall a citizen arrest happenign here a few weeks back, these bowling club members had gone to thier clubrooms to find them being ransacked and so they grouped together and apprehended the burglar. They held him in captivity until the police arrived.

Was really interesting, considering the average age for this club was 80.

[/color]

It is illegal in [i]most[/i] Western countries to make a citizens arrest as you are holding some one against their will. Thus you personally can be (and most likely will be) fined and/or jailed for your crime which is seen as very serious (on par with kidnapping).

See your local laws for how this is applied.