OtakuBoards

Goodbye UPN and WB. Hello CW.

Manic Webb

Check it out, folks. The UPN and WB television networks are planning to cease operations this Autumn, paving the way for a new network founded by both companies.

LINK: [url]http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news/companies/cbs_warner/index.htm[/url]

[quote]Warner Brothers and CBS Corp. announced plans Tuesday for the creation of a new broadcast television network, called CW, that would replace the WB and UPN networks in the fall of this year.[/quote]

[quote]The new network will broadcast such UPN shows as "America's Next Top Model" and "Veronica Mars," as well as WB programs "Beauty and the Geek" and "Smallville."[/quote]

[quote]UPN and the WB have struggled to attract viewers from the four established networks since they were launched in the mid-1990s. But each has its strengths.[/quote]

[quote]Both networks will cease operations in September, broadcasting their respective network schedules independently until then.[/quote]

I did [b]not[/b] see that coming.

[color=green]I'm sure the target audience will be [i]devestated[/i]. They'll take at least a week to figure it out, I'm sure.

UPN has been putting out pitiful programming for a very long time. They even took a program with garunteed viewership, [b]Enterprise[/b], and made it a huge flop.[/color]

[size=1]I live in an area where both the WB and UPN are available in my area, but apparently that isn't the case nationwide. I'm a little surprised by this decision, just because it seems like this is the sort of thing that should have happened in the first place... or at least a little sooner... these networks have been on television for over a decade now.

Also it will be interesting to see what happens to the new network's programming lineup. UPN has much of it's programming geared towards the African-American audience, which is a stark contrast to the WB's. It's a step in the right direction, I think, but ratings will dictate what types of programs end up on the new network.

CW is a really stupid name.

-Shy[/size]

[color=crimson] I hope they keep both Everybody Hates Chris and WWE Smackdown in their new-channel lineup.

Two show that we get here in New Zealand form the UPN network that I really like, CW better keep them or die!

(I keep thinking CW stands for Cartoon Webwork or something, am I sick? :D)[/color]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]The only time I ever watched UPN was when Enterprise was on. There might have been a show here and there on it that I watched(was 7 Days on UPN?). Other than that, UPN was never one of my television destinations. I could care less about crap like Moesha, and other poor quality programming like that. I've considerably watched WB more. With shows like Smallville, Supernatural and Everwood, it keeps my interest. Those three stick in my head, more than likely there were shows prior to that, but I'm in college so, my short-term/long-term memories are dedicated to information from school that i'll most likely not need in my profession.

Instead of a combination of the two, I would've just kept WB. UPN could continue its spiraling downfall of poor programming and disappear into memory. At least WB runs marathons on holidays of the old Twilight Zone. Classics.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11007437/]Here[/URL] is a link to a prediction of what will stay and what will go.
While I do agree with most that UPN has had great number of flops, it has been brave in targeting the urban demographic, and have some loyal viewers, and have made off really well with "Everybody hates Chris". What I'm most curious about is how it will pair up shows to make their nights stronger. While something like a Veronica Mars/Gilmore Girls night, or a Supernatural/Smallville night seem smart, I don't see any other comedies that will be able to be paired up with "Everyone hates Chris".
I hope this merger brings in some fresh ideas...as both networks new ideas to liven up their lineups.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
[quote name='Tracer Bullet'] While something like a Veronica Mars/Gilmore Girls night[/quote]
Let me be the first to say that this would fail. These shows are in no way similar, and the people that watch Gilmore Girls don't get Veronica Mars. While they're both good shows, Pairing them up because "Hey two girls show!" would fail utterly.

On the concept of the new network, it's a good idea. That 70's Show reruns, Smallville, Veronica Mars, and to a lesser extent Gilmore Girls are the only things worth watching on either network.