OtakuBoards

a bit of legal stuff

Dan L

If somebody stabbed someone, and on the way to the hospital, the ambulance crashed, do you think that the person who stabbed them should be charged with murder? I heard my friends talking about it one time. I think they shouldnt unless it was certain that the wound was fatal.

Well undoubtably, the District Attorney would press charges for Murder.... they'd have to settle it in court...

Because if the guy never stabbed the other guy, he wouldn't have been in the ambulance, thus would have never crashed, thus he would still be alive... They can play that in court and they CAN win... I've seen it done. But then again, there is some reasonbale doubt... depends on how well the lawyers do their job.

I personally... the guy wouldn't be charged with murder, but he would be for stabbing, and then the fact that the guy died while be treated for the stbbing, whether or not it was his fault, would probably make the charges more worse... I'd say life in jail with parol hearings every 10 years.... he's probably get out in 10-40 years.

[color=deeppink]I don't think that if the ambulence crashed that the assailant should be charged with murder. That's actually a bit on the ridiculous side...but like you said, if the wounds were fatal...no, I take that back, then they would be charged with murder even if the ambulence hadn't crashed.

Otherwise, the assailant had absolutely nothing to do with the crash (as long as it wasn't a set up, but as a hypothetical situation, let's say they had no knowledge of the crash) and they shouldn't be held responsible.

Normally I can go both ways on a situation like this...but with this specific one I feel strongly about the convict not being charged with murder unless the person dies of the wounds.

That's all :wave:[/color]

Guest Master O Beans
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]

Otherwise, the assailant had absolutely nothing to do with the crash (as long as it wasn't a set up, but as a hypothetical situation, let's say they had no knowledge of the crash) and they shouldn't be held responsible.

That's all :wave:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Now, I'm not trying to go Matrix Style on ya, (with the whole turn around - broken class thing,bleh) But, the ambulence wouldn't have even been out if that person hadn't been stabbed - therefore no accident wouldn't have occurred. ...Hmm, but I doubt that argument would hold up in court. :lecture:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]If somebody stabbed someone, and on the way to the hospital, the ambulance crashed, do you think that the person who stabbed them should be charged with murder? I heard my friends talking about it one time. I think they shouldnt unless it was certain that the wound was fatal. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] I don't think so, that person just stabbed the someone, not killing them directly. [/color]

[color=indigo]Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the district attorney would definitly charge the person with murder, although it is doubtful that the person would be convicted. No matter what the person would probally be charged with both attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. These are both serious felonies, and if convicted s/he would serve some jail time (5-10 yrs.)[/color]

[SIZE=1]I really hope this question did not arise from personal experience...

Umm, I don't think they should be charged with murder because the death was completely unrelated to the stabbing. But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]If somebody stabbed someone, and on the way to the hospital, the ambulance crashed, do you think that the person who stabbed them should be charged with murder? I heard my friends talking about it one time. I think they shouldnt unless it was certain that the wound was fatal. [/B][/QUOTE]

it would be Assault with a deadly weapon, if the wound was not fatal. if the wound was fatal, then it would probably be murder

before any charges were formally brought up, there'd have to be an autopsy... where the coroner would determine whether or not it was murder or if the victim died strictly from the accident wounds... also, considering how long they were in the ambulance before the crash, there might be notes hinting at how serious the injury was...

plus, you have to take into account whether the assailant was apprehended, how many witnesses there were, what happened on the scene, etc. it seems unlikely that anyone would be able to positively determine how the victim actually died. so, i don't think any actual murder charges would be brought, maybe attempted murder.

also, what country did this happen in? that makes a difference.

even if he was convicted of first-degree murder, he'd probably do 10-12 years in the u.s., tops.