OtakuBoards

Non Mainstream Bands. Indy w/e u wanna call em.

Dooxy

- TOOL (slightly more known)
- Coheed And Cambria (also not totally unheard of)
- The Mars Volta ( On about the leveel of CoCa)
- Bad Acid Trip (Close friends with SOAD as well as my parents... and probably our backstage pass to Ozzfest)
- Amen (I think they're more popular in UK)

I think that's all the indie bands I really like... does Franz Ferdinand still count as Indie?

[QUOTE=? Nomad Tical ?]- TOOL (slightly more known)
- Coheed And Cambria (also not totally unheard of)
- The Mars Volta ( On about the leveel of CoCa)
- Bad Acid Trip (Close friends with SOAD as well as my parents... and probably our backstage pass to Ozzfest)
- Amen (I think they're more popular in UK)

I think that's all the indie bands I really like... does Franz Ferdinand still count as Indie?[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]No. Never. Franz Ferdinand have, apparently, gone to [i]mainstream[/i] to be Indy. I mean, they were on MTV! Totally not Indy. No. Way.

You're lucky I got to you before the [strike]term rockin' cool[/strike] Indy Vultures man. Those things are vicious. Their rhetoric is almost as great as their egos. Which are big, so [i]you do the math[/i]. I'd do it for you, but, you know... I hate math. It's just so... so... [u][b][i]NUMERICAL[/i][/b][/u]. Shockingly, disgustingly, numerical.[/font][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]No. Never. Franz Ferdinand have, apparently, gone to [i]mainstream[/i] to be Indy. I mean, they were on MTV! Totally not Indy. No. Way.

You're lucky I got to you before the [strike]term rockin' cool[/strike] Indy Vultures man. Those things are vicious. Their rhetoric is almost as great as their egos. Which are big, so [i]you do the math[/i]. I'd do it for you, but, you know... I hate math. It's just so... so... [u][b][i]NUMERICAL[/i][/b][/u]. Shockingly, disgustingly, numerical.[/font][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Well, on the commercial for the Franz Ferdinand/Death Cab For Cutie tour, it was declared "The most indie-licious event of the summer"

[SIZE=1]Okay, well I don't really pay attention to what is mainstream and what isn't.
So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say my favorite "non-mainstream/semi-non-mainstream" bands, and hopefully I'm on the right track. I mean, it's hard to say, because for certain scenes, some bands are mainstream. Like AFI, I love them to death, and they may have been non-mainstream back in the day, but with the explosion called Sing The Sorrow, would they still be considered non-mainstream because they aren't on MuchMusic or MTV Canada so much anymore?
Well I'll do my best...gotta take a look at the good ol' WMP...

[B]Anti-Flag:[/B] I guess these guys are kinda mainstream when it comes to punk music... but did rise up from the underground with the most awesome political punk music that makes me want to dance and dissent.

[B]Bullet For My Valentine[/B]: as far as I know these guys aren't mainstream, I never heard of them until my sister showed them to me, but with how rockin' they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they had an enormous fan-base.

[B]Catch 22[/B]: Probably one of the best ska bands out there, well known to those who like ska, but definately not mainstream.

[B]Flogging Molly:[/B] popular with the punk scene (I think); nothing beats Irish punk.

[B]The Faint:[/B] I can't even describe this type of music, but these guys make me want to dance. It's not techno, it's not punk, it's not industrial... but it rocks.

[B]Leftover Crack[/B]: I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I do enjoy the songs of theirs that I have. Good punk band.

[B]NOFX:[/B] Anyone who knows punk music can argue that these guys are mainstream in the sense that nearly everyone will know the name. But I don't see these guys on Much or MTV nearly as much as I wish.

[B]Pain:[/B] Not the hardcore Pain, but ska. These guys are definately not mainstream, but with how catchy and hilariously awesome their songs are, I'm surprised they aren't huge.

[B]Saosin:[/B] Seven Years. One of my fave songs ever.

[B]Streetlight Manifesto:[/B] I think some of the guys from Catch 22 are in this ska band. I only have one album, but it's one of my must-play CDs in the summer.

[B]Funeral For A Friend:[/B] A screamo band from the UK, started gaining some traction, but slowly went back underground, at least as far as I know. The released a new album recently, but I'm yet to hear it.

[B]Wednesday Night Heroes:[/B] Canadian punk band. Very cool. Very remnescent of old-skool punk, only it sounds good.[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=slategray]I'm sure there is a difference between what is "mainstream" in a small town in Iowa compared to what is "mainstream" in packed cities that contain a lot of music and a lot of different people interested in it. And that was one HUGE run-on sentence. So, whatever.
As for me, these are some more unknown bands, in this town, anyway, that I listen to:
[B]Scarling:[/B] This is basically the offspring of Jack Off Jill, because it was formed by the lead singer after Jack Off Jill broke up. But I love their sound, I normally don't listen to femme bands, for some reason I like male voices better when they sing. ANYWAY, yeah, Scarling has to be one of my favorite bands right now, I heart their new CD, "So Long, Scarecrow." ^.^

[B]Wheatus:[/B] Hee hee, as I've stated in other threads, Wheatus is my b*tch. Love the lyrics, love the sound, love the crazy, random ***** in between. I fell in love with them after I heard their song "Truffles." No one I have ever talked to has heard of Wheatus. LISTEN! >>

[B]Muse:[/B] Great European band. They have a soft, yet hardcore sound. I've heard/read harsh critiques for Muse, and I simply can't understand. The lead singer has such a sexy voice, too.

I have more, but I'll come back later.[/color][/size]

• 3 months later...
[QUOTE=Bláse][size=1][color=slategray]
[B]Muse:[/B] Great European band. They have a soft, yet hardcore sound. I've heard/read harsh critiques for Muse, and I simply can't understand. The lead singer has such a sexy voice, too.

I have more, but I'll come back later.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Heh, I love Muse too. My favourite band actually. Don't you hate how they're compared to Radiohead all the time?

I'm weird, I also like the Aquabats ^^

[QUOTE=cinnamonxskwerl]Heh, I love Muse too. My favourite band actually. Don't you hate how they're compared to Radiohead all the time?

I'm weird, I also like the Aquabats ^^[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]That doesn't make you weird, it makes you an amazing individual.[/font][/color][/size]