OtakuBoards

[GFX] Retribution v. White

Ellerby

[center][b]GFX Club Sponsored Battle
[size=1]Retribution v. White[/size][/b][/center]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]A graphics battle between Retribution and White of Otakuboards. Both contenders will post an art piece that match the requirements and that is when the voting will commence. To vote, please post at least two paragraphs for each piece explaining why you did and didn't like it. Any votes that do not follow those rules will not be counted.

The parameters are as follows:

[indent][b]Dimensions:[/b] 400 by 450 pixels.
[b]Theme:[/b] Criminal. Must include the word "Criminal"
[b]Due Date:[/b] April 6th, 2006. If both pieces are submitted before April 1st, then voting will start.[/indent]

[RIGHT]Good luck, Retri. :/[/FONT][/COLOR][/RIGHT]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Eh, we're both a little late. At least we talked to eachother about it.

[CENTER][img]http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8033/criminal2hg.gif[/img][/CENTER]

The first thing I think of when I hear criminal now is V from V for Vendetta. So, I used him. A criminal for all the right reasons.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]OOOOoooooooo...this should be good. :animesmil

Retri-

I liked your picture for the Blood Red colour, that gives me a criminal feeling. Just the thought of blood....(ew) Anyway, I loved the shading on the picture. There's a unique type of shadows forming around his face and hair, and it sorta gives me a 3-D feeling, even if I know that it's not a 3-D picture. The phrase got me too...Viva El Criminal. Heh.

I didn't like it because it was a little plain. The background isn't as good as the person in the picture. The background should always try to boost up the main-image in the picture, yet in this one, it's just a coloured background, nothing more. Ah, but that is just my opinion. I was also a li'l worried. Some people may not be educated with good ol' Che Guevara. :animesmil

White-

I like your picture because...Well, it's very lively. There is a-lot going on in it, within a certain colour code, so it's not a big rainbow, heh. I love the flashing V, and the background. I like how his hands seem to come out of nowhere because his cloak is sooo dark. Gives me that creepy feeling. :animeswea

I don't like... I don't like the font for the words. They could've been better. If I were you...I would've done them in a sorta gothic feel....And his face looks as if it's from a cartoon, because of the lighting.

----------------------------

Anyway, [U]my vote is for White[/U], even though Retri did a wonderful job too. :animesmil [/B]

[size=1][u]White[/u]
The background is original, but I don't think it fits the image. The cut out job of the character isn't amazing either. I like the animation, but the background takes up too much attention, so it gets a bit annoying. The text you used looks nice and fits the border, so the best thing to do, is probably take out the background.

[u]Retribution[/u]
I didn't like the effect you used. Neither did I like the text on the image. A thing I like is that you put an opinion in the image and the red background which is standard for [i]Che[/i] stuff.

Yeah, I know it's not 2 paragraphs per person. I'd have to say a lot of crap that I don't really mean. If I were to vote, I'd vote [i]White[/i], but I didn't like either. Sorry.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Retribution: [/B]First of all I like the how the person in the picture looks. By not having the look of a real person it just gives it more life. What I don?t care for is the red color in the picture, as it seems to be too much. Perhaps a bit of texture in the background would have helped? And though I like the words you chose, I don?t care for the font, it just doesn?t seem to flow with the picture.

[B]White: [/B]For your piece what I like best is the picture; the smile fits as it makes it seem more sinister. It?s got a nice clean crisp look to it. What I don?t like is the choice of font and background color. The biggest problem with the background color is it?s so bright that it gets your attention instead of the subtler V in the main picture.

Overall, both pieces are nicely done so It?s hard to pick. But I?m going to go with [B]Retribution[/B] since I like the effects of the picture a little better.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][B]Retribution:[/B] I like your choice of picture and colors, and though I?m not sure what you did I like how the picture looks like you added some graphic effects to it. I don?t know much about Che Guevara but the stark black and red does make it seem almost unreal. The one thing I do not like is the font. With the funky look to the person it?s to clean and crisp and seems to distract from the overall picture.

[B]White:[/B] Your picture is very clean and sharp and the character?s smile is very sinister. The choice of font fits as well and the V fading in and out looks quite nice. I also like how other than his hands, knifes and face the rest of the person is shrouded in darkness. The one thing I do not care for is the bright red background, it?s very distracting.

I like both pictures but since I can only choose one I pick [B]Retribution[/B] as I like the effects used on the main person in the picture. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][quote name='Retribution][size=1][B]Voting will close 16 April 2006 (Sunday) at midnight Eastern Standard Time.[/B'] I hope that we get more participation as well -- it'd be a shame to recieve only three total votes. I urge everyone to take the time to vote for one of us.[/size][/quote]Is it okay if I still vote? I know it?s past the deadline, but it looks like the votes tie at the moment anyway. ^_^ So perhaps you might want to open it up for another week to allow more voting? Well I?ll put my choices in and you two can decide if you want to count it. ^_^
[B]
Retribution:[/B] Your entry is dark and I like the choice of colors. I also like the effects you used on the person as it makes it look more abstract. The one thing I think doesn?t fit is the font. It?s too clean and simple and kind of distracts from the overall effect.

[B]White:[/B] Your entry is nice and sharp and clean. I like how the face and blades clearly stand out. And the glowing V fits really well. What I don?t care for is that the red in the background is a bit on the bright side. Maybe if it were toned down a bit?

Anyway, I like both pictures, but since I can only choose one I pick [B]White.[/B] It was hard to pick since I think both pictures had aspects that out did the other. [/COLOR]