OtakuBoards

What series are you ashamed to admit (or not) you couldn't get into?

[Sound_Nin]

I know, anime blasphemy and all that. But for curiosity's sake, what series could you just [U]not get into[/U] no matter how hard you tried to?

I have a few, okay, so no screaming or shocked gasping:
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
(gasp) Inuyasha

And one that I like but can't really grasp the storyline:
Cowboy Bebop

So, yeah, some of the most popular series' on here.

(If this has already been done, close immediately to spare me the shame)

Neon Genesis Evangelion. I can already feel the assassins coming after me for this blasphemy. It's probably considered to be Gainax's best work, but from the start I was bored with the series. Shinji whines too much, Asuka's annoying, and the adults can't do anything on their own. I like Rei Ayanami, but she's the only one that doesn't bother me, and that's because she stays quiet most of the time. Feel free to flame me or try to change my mind, but Evangelion is my least favorite anime after Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It is extremely unusual for me to not like an anime, too. And the reason I don't like Evangelion has nothing to do with a complicated plot or the deeper meanings. I love Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop even though they have deep story lines. Neon Genesis Evangelion honestly bores me.

I totally agree. I just forgot to even consider this series because everytime it comes on I switch to FUSE or Sci-Fi. It's boring, annoying, and well... it confuses me.
GITS is one of the finest.
I liked Pokemon! When I was 9...
Yugioh? 11...
Digimon? Never! Seemed too much like a Pokemon rip-off (and still does!)
All of the Gundam series' EXCEPT Wing.

[quote name='NekoSama101']I also couldn't get into Inuyasha. it's so boring yet all my friends are obsessed with it. Another one is FMA. AND I AM NOT ASHAMED! anyways, why do people like those shows?[/quote]

[size=1]Well, it is pretty much the same question right back. Why [b]don't[/b] people like those shows?

I guess it all depends on a person's common interests what they are intrigued by and what they aren't. It is all on their likes and dislikes when it comes to the things people watch.

Personally, I really can't get into One Piece, or S-Cry-Ed. I'm not a huge fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Another is Here is Greenwood. My cousins all loved it, and I usually like the same shows my cousin do. But as I was watching it, it just didn't catch me at all, I actually think I fell asleep around the second episode as I watched the DVD. :animeswea [/size]

Oh...my...god...
ONE PIECE!
Don't get me started. Somewhere between the theme song and the Clown Pirate Guy-thing... I lost interest. Completely.

Forgetful.

So, before I forget... Fruits Basket. I saw an advertisement for it in a Yu-Gi-Oh! magazine and decided to check it out. Honestly, what the H-E-double hell is going on?

This theard has been done to death but Ill humor you. Inuyasha is a show I couldnt get into. I found it way to long, way to repetive and just plain not intresting. I mean just kill Naraku already. Did they ever kill that SOB? I couldnt get into FMA for awhile but the whole Greed arch is what hooked me.

Most recently? Trinity Blood. I should have known by the first episode that it was going nowhere fast and doing so as a fashionable vampire Trigun. But nooo, I had to give it a good couple of hours before I finally dropped it off.

As for NGE, despite it being far and away my favorite show, I can understand why people don't like it (for various reasons). I will say this: if you haven't already gotten "into" it by, say, the 12th episode, then there's really no point in going on as all you're going to feel is confused, cheated, and very angry. Eva requires, above all else, a certain relationship with the characters. You don't really have to "like" them, and actually you don't really even have to understand where they're coming from. To put this a certain way: fundamentally, you've got to have the SAME PROBLEM that they do, or it doesn't work. Over and over again in the show you hear the line "you're the same as I am;" it ain't just Anno blowing smoke, and the same line goes for the audience. If you can't feel that those animated folks on the screen are somehow representing YOU, acting from the same issues that you have (although in a different way), then all NGE will be is a whinefest and a big biblical lightshow. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

But, uh, yeah. Anyways. Trinity Blood: pretty, Trigun clone, goes nowhere at all.

[quote name='NekoSama101']I also couldn't get into Inuyasha. it's so boring yet all my friends are obsessed with it. Another one is FMA. AND I AM NOT ASHAMED! anyways, why do people like those shows?[/quote]

Inu-Yasha is boring and I also dislike it, but I can give you reasons why I like Fullmetal Alchemist:

1) The characters are extremely 3-dimmensional and I either strongly love or strongly hate each of them.
2) There's tons of "WTF?" plot twists that make me want to keep on watching it.
3) Sometimes it can be very funny, but when it tries to be gruesome or just downright depressing it succeeds amazingly.
4) It's one of the few animes to actually make me cry.
5) It has a firm beginning, middle, and end and doesn't drag anything out.
6) The action and symbolism are creative and add another dimmension of interest to the show.
7) The animation is good-looking and fluid.
8) Every single episode has a point.

Now, why do you DISLIKE it?

Ashamed..... not likely. (because I don't fear fanboys / fangirls >=D )

In any case. I'll start off with something different this time.

S-Cry-ed (That is how it suppose to be right?) ~ I don't know why because it has everything I look for in animes. (Good animation, good action.... ok music) I think it was around maybe the 11th episode. I just lost interest in it. I watched 2 more episodes to see if I could get into it again, but sadly I was not interested. Maybe I lost interest in the story, and they screamed each others names too much... "shrugs"

Witch Hunter Robin ~ I know it's wrong to try to judge anime by the 1st episode, but when an anime puts me to sleep in 10 minutes, something is very wrong. Only thing that really had my interest was the animation... Everything else was rather boring.

One Piece ~ *sighs* People tell me to read the manga or look at the sub version. What they don't realize is that I have no interest in pirate cartoons / movies. (With the exception of Pirates of the Carribbean.... stupid word) Let alone some kid trying to be king of the pirates.... (can't stand kid type fantasy stories either) Comedy... meh.... Not into comedy in animes. (Except a couple)

Inuyasha ~ Only good thing I can say about this anime is Sesshoumaru and the ending theme songs. Sadly, that wasn't enough to make me have any interest in this anime. The action in it was nothing spectacular. Animation didn't make my mouth drop. Most of the characters were annoying. So yea, not much had an impact on me.

Edit: Left a few off.

Evangelion ~ (To a certain degree) I lost interest near the end of the series (assuming tonights episode is the last one?) when [spoiler]Asuka started to fail her sync test or whatever. And going through her depression[/spoiler] All this depression stuff pisses me off. (Guess you know if you'd ever see me irl, don't come at me feeling depressed... I'm as mean as they come) I do realize that's suppose to be apart of life and such, but there's only so much I can take. (1st Shinji and now Asuka....)

Naruto ~ I'm slowly starting to get into this again but for the moment, Naruto (himself) made me lose interest. Personally, I'm not fond of any of the main characters except Kakashi, but Naruto is far more annoying. I don't find whatever comedy there is in this to be funny. And I blame Bleach for this. ^_^

[quote name='Diablo'] Let alone some kid trying to be king of the pirates.... (can't stand kid type fantasy stories either).[/quote]
But he's 19! :animesmil

I never could get into Naruto. And despite watching significant portions of both Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin (in Trigun's case I saw practically every episode, albeit not in perfect order), I wouldn't really count myself a fan of either show. I'd mention Kannazuki no Miko as well, but I seem to bring it up in almost every thread of this nature, so...

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']But he's 19! :animesmil [/quote]

Yes but he has the voice of a 8 year old in need of Riddilin. So I see where people get confused.

[QUOTE] And despite watching significant portions of both Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin (in Trigun's case I saw practically every episode, albeit not in perfect order), I wouldn't really count myself a fan of either show. I'd mention Kannazuki no Miko as well, but I seem to bring it up in almost every thread of this nature, so...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Rurouni Kenshin is a great series once you get to the Kyoyo arch. First season is ok but its bascillay Kenshin beating everyone in one hit. Season 2 outstanding it creatred the RK fanbase. Season 3 horrid he just fights these European guys :animesigh .

Trigun was bleh... It had its moments mainly the [spoiler] fight between Vash and Knives[/spoiler].

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yeah ! Finally someone that doesn't really like Naruto.. As for the shows i don't really get into..

Naruto~ That's right. Well i did have interest in this show before,like until episode 135 or something.. Then the fillers started.. Who the CRAP would think of putting on more then 30 weeks of bloody fillers??!! Who The CRAP !? Eventhough the manga is much more better but i just can't really get into the Naruto spirit like last time..

Inuyasha~ Like some might have said, this show is tooo loooongg. It's like dragging 1 HUGE episode until the next one which is like 20 episodes in real life or something.. The whole half demon half human thing caught my interest but damn if it was a bit more shorter..

Ragnarok~ The series made from the game.. It did catch my interest for the first 6 episodes or maybe until episode 15 but man.. After that it was just depression and sadness.. No comedy at all ! The fighting wasn't too good either..

I wish some of the shows would be more like Bleach,GetBackers,FMA or even FMP..
These shows have more story,action and stuff.[/FONT]

[/COLOR]

Guest Bohrok_Swarms
I can't get into any of those giant robot animes. Ones like NGE and RahXephon and Patlabor(or something like that) I've tried watching episodes of NGE, but I couldn't follow what was happening.

[COLOR=#656446][b]I-NU-YA-SHA[/b]
Despite the swordfights, it's a tad too ho-hum for my taste (sorry, Inuyasha fans!). Hrmm, perhaps it's one of those series that you [i]have[/i] to watch from the start just so you can see why people like it. *shrugs*[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Digimon? Never! Seemed too much like a Pokemon rip-off (and still does!)[/QUOTE]

Weird, I thought pokemon came after digimon. . . Though I personally like pokemon better when I was little.

I could never get into Yugioh. Seemed whenever it got good, I'd miss an episode and when I started up again, it wasn't cool any more. And the duels started getting a little cliche. Yugi gets in trouble, yugi draws a card, yugi wins. It got a little repeatative, no offense to fans. And the Yugioh GX series just seemed a little silly.

[quote name='The_Mix_Breed'] And the Yugioh GX series just seemed a little silly.[/quote]

A little? Have you ever sat throguh an episode of that show? I rember an episode where the opponets they dueld constanly made their dialogue rhyme. The dialogue in general is horrible.

[quote name='Samurai Mix']A little? Have you ever sat throguh an episode of that show? I rember an episode where the opponets they dueld constanly made their dialogue rhyme. The dialogue in general is horrible.[/quote]

Weren't those same guys in the first Yugioh series? The only episode I was able to stay watching through the entire thing was the one were they dueled in a volcano. The ending was weak though. . .

I can feel the hate mail coming already but... Gundam, Neon Genasis Evangelion, and just about any other mech anime. I tried Gundam SEED, but

1. They give you rediculous amounts of detail about the mechs, most of which the smartest of people don't quite fully grasp. Now I understnd when someone shout "My whatever just broke!", it's a bad thing, but unless you know the blueprints for the thing, inside and out, you just can't fully grasp the danger of the situation.

2. I would prefer to see people fight with swords or bare hands rather than a giant robot. Just my personal preferance.

3. They are set in times of war and/or post apocalyptic environments, which can make the series completely serious or depressing. I like serious animes, but not ones that are serious throughout the entire series. I need a show to have at leasta little humor.

4. For the most part, I just don't like mechs. Again, personal preference.

There are some mech animes I enjoyed (Full Metal Panic, Zoids, the few episodes of Big O I've seen), but that was because they didn't have the problems mentioned above (at least not all the time).

OH NO! IV'E SPENT TOO MUCH TIME HERE! *runs from the mobs of gundam fans who are chasing her in their mechs*

[quote name='ANBU kunoichi']I can feel the hate mail coming already but... Gundam, Neon Genasis Evangelion, and just about any other mech anime. I tried Gundam SEED, but //snip//[/quote]

ok i know gundam seed wasnt the best but how can you not like any of the gundam series? not all of the gundam serieses had the drawbacks that you mentioned example: gundam wing- there were sword fights between Treize and WuFei example2: it was serious at points but it had lots of humor
example3: it was not depressing at all
example4: it gave blueprints of the mechs and details but not soo much detail that people couldnt understand it and when they said something broke you knew what it was.
lol i could give examples all day but i think that the ones i gave were enough :catgirl:

anyway back to the What series are you ashamed to admit (or not) you couldn't get into? i would have to say FLCL i am not ashamed i couldnt get into it alot of people couldnt but then again alot of people like it too. in my opinion it was just too stupid to get into i gave it a chance but the more i watched it the more i disliked it because it just got stupider and stupider

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Since you're replying to the post right before yours, you really don't need a quote. Especially one so long. Posting such long quotes, particularly when they're so much longer than your main post, makes the boards messy. Remember that you can shorten the text inside the [quote] tags. -r2[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

[quote name='ANBU kunoichi']I can feel the hate mail coming already but... Gundam, Neon Genasis Evangelion, and just about any other mech anime. I tried Gundam SEED*[/quote]

Allright NGE wasnt reallly about the mechs to begin with. I dont even consider it a Mecha series. Just a series with light mech elements. Since NGE is about chacter devlopement, the flaws in human beings, and heavy religoin elements.

Gundam SEED was decent. But its not a good gundam franchise to start with. Gundam Wing rocked. My favorite Gundam series. It was alot more mature than the childish Gundam SEED.

Oh, i thought of one, Transformers. I can't beleive it's even considered an anime. It's really stupid, I think it's probably the worse mecha show in history. yet they show it on toonami like its an anime.

Bobobo-bo-bobo is also pretty stupid, but hey, it's hilarous.

Guest Metal Dragon
I never really got into Paranoia Agent. The first few episodes made sense, then all of a sudden, I'm totally lost. That goes to show you, you miss an episode of any anime, next thing you know... something totally awesome happens and you end up missing it and get lost. Trust me...I know from experience