OtakuBoards

Is Cartoon Network Fair?

Guest bloody winter17

Guest bloody winter17
i think not because they start something then in the middle of it..(or good part of it) they stop the show :animecry: and i know it's for new shows but i like the old ones better :animecry: but that just me lol :D anyway tell me wat ya think love ya :catgirl:

Thats an interesting take on it. Most arguments i hear in favor for CN being unfair to animes is due to the amount of time they have cut back on them to make room for the "dumber" (notice the quotes, nobody take offense for this is a choice due to lack of a better term at the current time) shows (i.e harvey birdman, minoriteam, etc etc). Most series have run from start to finish with little or no interruptions. Most of the shorter series like trigun, outlaw star, S-cry-ed, etc. Other series that needed further translation or deliberation due to extended episodes or more seasons were expectedly delayed, much the same as other television shows on any other network. It keeps the viewers tuned in for the next bunch of episodes.

But to touch upon a major argument i see around about the treatment of anime's being unjust in comparison to the other shows is CN is appealing to the masses here and while animes may be the preference amongst many it dosen't change the fact that a good portion of the audience is also tuning in to watch these other shows such as most of the sunday and friday line ups. I believe that mixing them within a day's lineup (just for example FMA at 11, Evangelion at 11:30, then venture brothers at 12) is a bad idea but there is neccesity for the other shows because they attract another portion of the AS audience that completes their full statistics. CN cannot just speak to the mature anime fans, nor can it solely speak to the acquired taste humor seekers such as the viewers for these other shows in question. The same goes for fans divided amongst the mature anime section, surely a decision to take off one show for another is bound to cause dismay amongst certain fans. I know i was upset when trigun was first taken off, as well as upset during the time paranoia agent was a permanent addition to the weekday line up. It's the same system, there is a way for everyone to be happy...but the everyone is represented by a greater whole and sacrafices must be made to give the most succesful shows as well as the newer shows as much exposure as they can do they can establish newly popular ones as well as maintain the major favorites.

In light of everything, i'd say that anime isn't being treated too unfairly. I enjoy my fill, granted there have been points where i have gotten more of it then currently. But shows being aired now that i still watch (whether it be for the first time or second, third, etc etc time) are FMA, Evangelion, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, and Inuyasha. Not too long ago i watched S-cry-ed as well. I'd say AS isn't doing too bad. But this is also from the perspective of someone who can get his fill of anime from english and japanese box-sets and DVDs.

Guest Tragic World
[quote name='bloody winter17']i think not because they start something then in the middle of it..(or good part of it) they stop the show :animecry: and i know it's for new shows but i like the old ones better :animecry: but that just me lol :D anyway tell me wat ya think love ya :catgirl:[/quote]

I don't think they're unfair. They just have to play what people like. I caught the beginning of s-CRY-ed on CN as it replayed, and when it stopped in the middle of the series I was a bit surprised. I'm fifteen, so I can't really buy the series that I want to see, but I don't think that CN is unfair on anime. It would be nice if they played the eps I haven't seen, though. Oh, well. I'll just save up to buy them. :animesmil

[size=1]Well, for the Cartoon Network lineup, not involving Adult Swim, I think they are unfair to anime.

They -do- stop in the middle of shows, such as Rurouni Kenshin or Yu Yu Hakusho. All of the longer series, they just stop. And a lot of the shows, they severely edit for the sake of everyone being able to watch it, sometimes ruining the show. Either that, they show rather, in my opinion, pointless anime. Bobobo Bo Bobobo? What on earth is that? I don't even want to [b]try[/b] watching it because the name is down right silly.

As for Adult Swim, I think they give a bit more justice to anime, seeing as how they usually finish series that they start. But they rerun shows so often that it gets annoying to watch anymore. FMA, they've restarted that series so many times now,and they used to restart Inuyasha quite often, as well. I think if they had a larger variety of shows, then it might be better.

But, beggers can't be choosers I guess. At least they're showing any anime on tv, so that means no need to go out and buy the series if you're low on money.[/size]

Well technically "cartoon" network should not be showing at all. Cartoon's are not anime so they should be seperate. So no Cartoon network is very fair(even caters t) to anime. Don't complain or they might kill there fairly small fanbase from anime goers altogether.

[quote name='bloody winter17']they start something then in the middle of it..(or good part of it) they stop the show :animecry: and i know it's for new shows[/quote]Well, I wouldn't blame this on the station. I don't have Cartoon Network in my area, but YTV does the same thing. The thing is, whenever I contacted the station about it, they would say it's because they don't have the tapes sent to them yet. ;) And that's why it's only for new shows.

[quote name='BKstyles']I believe that mixing them within a day's lineup (just for example FMA at 11, Evangelion at 11:30, then venture brothers at 12) is a bad idea but there is neccesity for the other shows because they attract another portion of the AS audience that completes their full statistics.[/quote]I disagree with this actually. Using your example, if I were a Venture Brothers fan and I tuned in ten minute early, I would get to see Evangelion. This might spark an interest in Japanimation. The same can go the other way.

This creates more Anime fans, and more American Cartoon fans.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well technically "cartoon" network should not be showing at all. Cartoon's are not anime so they should be seperate. So no Cartoon network is very fair(even caters t) to anime. Don't complain or they might kill there fairly small fanbase from anime goers altogether.[/quote] Actually, I disagree with everything you said.
The name "[i]Cartoon[/i] Network" implies that everything on the network is animated.

[SIZE=1][indent][Merriem Webster]Main Entry: car·toon

1 : a preparatory design, drawing, or painting (as for a fresco)
2 a : a drawing intended as satire, caricature, or humor b : COMIC STRIP
3 : ANIMATED CARTOON
4 : a ludicrously simplistic, unrealistic, or one-dimensional portrayal or version [/indent][/SIZE]Anime is animated. And other than the fact it was animated in Japan, what difference is there between American Cartoons? You could argue that the style, plot, characters, and depth is different from Bugs Bunny and The Simpsons, but cartoons have lots of different styles, plots, characters, and levels of depth - even if they come from the Western World. European cartoons would be accepted on CN, why not Japanese?

Also, sending letters to a station helps inform them of what their audience wants. If you want them to know something, tell them. If the majority of their fans want to see a certain series, they'll make an effort to please those fans. They [b]want you to watch[/b] so they'll do the best they can to please you.

But they wont make an effort if the majority of watchers want the opposite of what you want. So you need to send more letters. Get your friends to send more letters. Get people accross the country to send more letters. If they see there's a lot of interest, they'll see it's in their best interest.

-r2
Guest Metal Dragon
Yeah, they always do that. It really blows but, they better not take Naruto out, that's one of my favorite anime's...wait a sec, cartoon network shows cartoons and most people don't consider animes as cartoons...so in a way, we're lucky that they even [B]show[/B] anime.But still, taking out animes during the middle of the season really sucks.

If a show doesn't get good ratings what use do they have to buy more episodes if they aren't going to make any money off of it? I am actually surprised to see that adult swim shows the amount of anime that it does, considering the comedic american cartoons gets much higher ratings.

I think Cartoon network isn't fair either they can have a great anime line up and then replace it with something stupid like taking fullmetal alchemist every night. and replacing it with saved by the bell :mad: and making full metal alchemist once a week. and here's another screw up taking toonami off the weekdays. i mean toonami had all the great animes. like outlaw star, yu yu hakusho, and dragon ball z in some cases i think cartoon network digs it's own grave. :(

I would take sevedc by the bell over FMA anyday :catgirl: Even though it would'nt show on CARTOON netwok. Also if cartoon network had no anime it would still be fine. Also imo DBZ is not a "great" anime.

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Avenged666fold, I removed the quote. If you're replying to the most recent post, having a quote isn't needed. Especially since you quoted the entire post and it's longer than your own post, it really makes the thread messier. Remember next time that you can shorten the text between the [quote] tags when you reply. -r2[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

Guest bloody winter17
[COLOR=Blue]OK SORRRY don't have to bite offf my head i was just putting a suggestion cuz my friends said tooo........on the other hand i'm going to killl them for doing this to me :animecry: ohhh well at least i know wat to telll them :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lord of Spirits']I also think that it is unfair to that Cartoon Network does that. I also think that they should stick to the old ones thatn having new ones that are so boring that they should know by now that people think that it sucks!!! :animeangr[/quote][COLOR=Indigo]As much as I would enjoy it if they always aired the shows I like, sooner or later it would get very boring since there would never be anything new on. Besides, until they actually air a show they won?t know if people like it or not. Just because one might do well in Japan doesn?t mean it will do well in other countries.

Also if we followed the logic of only playing older ones, then most of what is on would be taken off since they are new compared to what was played several years ago or even a decade ago.
[/COLOR]

Well, CN does do that somtimes but its not there fualt most people who watch that channel aren't there for the anime. They show what people most want, but they don't do it with all of them like Full metal al. but somtimes your right in the middle of one of the series and they cannel it, ticks me off but not there fault.

Peace Out

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]I think that Cartoon Network should have a better system. I don't know about the other countries, but in Australia, they always do reruns. It's kind of like this:
New Season-- Rerun-- New Season of Different Anime-- Rerun of this Anime-- New Season of the Previous Anime-- Rerun-- etc...
It never ends! :animestun
I know that the Australian CN probably has to wait for the animes to come from the US. So why don't they show one episode per week? Then there would be no reruns. :animesmil
And another thing. Here, they show too many commercials, so when they run out of time, they cut the last few minutes of the anime or catoon ther are showing. I tape my anime, so this really makes me mad! :mad: [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]-shrugs- Then go live in austrailia if that CN is much better?

Seriously for a moment think about what you just said. For me personally starting a season of a certain anime show, then canceling that show for a portioni of time to show another one, then going back and showing a different season of the first one? Now that sounds rather odd to me. Its like starting a game, stopping and playing another game for a while, then going back to play that same game. Let alone one may forget what the plot was or something like that.

However I agree with r2vq, if you really want to see if Cn put an anime episode back on the air, why not instead of complaining here or somewhere else, just go and send then a letter or call them? If they know that people like something than maybe, just maybe, you will get what you desired. I mean its not like there are telepaths and can sense if you are mad about missing a series or something.

Then again you can use Tivo so you would never miss an episode. :p [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Guest ChaosRifle
It is pretty unfair. they should rerun the anime a few times (for inuyasha its about a million times) for the new watchers. and THEN they get the new shows. Heres a list of sucky shows that they should get rid of.

[U][B]List of Dumb Shows[/B][/U]
Minoriteam
Harvey Birdman
Morel Orel
Squidbillies
(Unknown) this one is pretty much 2d. A violent mouse, a weird mouse, a shark, a policeman that looks like a potato, etc.
Others I dont need to name.

Edit: Ikillion. We know your with reason, but havent u read the quotes? like theyre gonna change anything unless you take them to court or bribe them.

[COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=1][INDENT]Please put a little more effort into your post ChaosRifle, simply listing shows without explaining why you think they are bad shows is spam. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Yes it's unfair to cancel a show in the middle or not air reruns. But it's not as productive, it's a waste of time and money, to air a show that's only going to get 1/3 of the viewers as american made comedies. regardless of how 'dumb' they are.

Although I have no idea why people watch 12oz Mouse.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Goodness this sure seems like a one sided fight.

Yet even though many of you seem to complain that it isnt fair to take off an anime or something thats right in the middle try to think a little bit harder. Cartoon Network is a company not just something that is there for fan service. If there was some reason that they couldn't get any more of the episodes than it isnt their fault. There could be some finacial issues, missed mail dates. So many more things that my mind couldn't think of. Besides, shouldn't you be a little bit more appricative that CN actually shows anime in the first place? For someone doing a favor to the country people sure seem rather angry by it.

Also, ChaosRifle remember that Adult swim isnt there to provide only Anime. Origionally it was used to provide more adult humor to the older viewers of Cartoon Network. and just because you think it is useless doesnt mean that the rest of the country does.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Another thing people tend to forget is that Cartoon Network is in it for the money. It?s not so much an issue of being fair but one of making a profit off of the shows they are airing.

In the United States, the TV commercial is generally considered the most effective mass-market advertising format, and this is reflected by the high prices TV networks charge for commercial airtime during popular TV events and shows. The annual Super Bowl football game is known as much for its commercial advertisements as for the game itself, and the average cost of a single thirty-second TV spot during this game has reached $2.5 million (as of February 2006).

If a show has poor ratings, they can?t charge as much for the commercials so it?s only natural they are going to take the show down, or that they are going to switch what is airing in the time slot to keep people interested in watching that channel. The better the ratings are, the more they can charge for the commercials. Whether or not they finished the series they were airing is irrelevant. Shows are picked based on what will make them the most money. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]-shrugs- Then go live in austrailia if that CN is much better?

Seriously for a moment think about what you just said. For me personally starting a season of a certain anime show, then canceling that show for a portioni of time to show another one, then going back and showing a different season of the first one? Now that sounds rather odd to me. Its like starting a game, stopping and playing another game for a while, then going back to play that same game. Let alone one may forget what the plot was or something like that.
[/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]I didn't say that the CN in Australia is better. I was just stating a fact about how it is run. I don't get to watch the CN of America, so I can't really say which one is better. However, if anyone is thinking of moving to Australia for CN, don't. It's not worth it.
I also wanted to get the opinions of people who watch CN in other countries...
Anyway, I do agree with the second part you said.

[/COLOR]