OtakuBoards

Eminem: Disqusting rapper or Artist

Lt.Zero

Ths is a renewed thread origanily done by Epitome. The origanal thread was closed down and so that's why I'm renewing it. So here is the origanal post qouted.

I heard some of Eminems new songs that will be coming out on his new album this month, and I must say, this is probably his best from what I heard. All of the songs have excellent beats and all of them have excellent lyrics to go with it.

If you really listen to what he is listening to, his music is very deep. Most people only here "**** your mom" or "god damn your a retard," but if you really listen to it, it effects you, it effected me at least.

But there are some songs that are just plain funny. And thats always fun from Eminem.

But what do you all think about the situation. Do you think he is an artist or a disgusting and perverted rapper?

[quote name='? Nomad Tical ?']I think people need to stop making such a big deal about his controversial lyrics. I think he's smart, very creative, and his music is pretty cool. (except encore... just seemed like more of the same). So he says bad stuff... doesn't everyone?[/quote]

And that is [U]exactly[/U] my point.

[COLOR=Sienna]Easy answer: disgusting rapper. No talent hack is maybe a better way to word it, or a contreversy whore. Every time I listen him, I think he wrote down the most random and offensive **** he could think of and put it into MakeThisRhyme.org, and than got a bunch of his tone-def friends to mash away on their keyboards and beatkits, than sang (and by sang, I mean orally farted) them in the most annoying way possible. I cannot stand him. Terrible, terrible, terrible. The only songs even close to being listenable to are songs where he imported those Aerosmith and Stevie Nix songs.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Ziggy Stardust][COLOR=Sienna']Easy answer: disgusting rapper. No talent hack is maybe a better way to word it, or a contreversy whore. Every time I listen him, I think he wrote down the most random and offensive **** he could think of and put it into MakeThisRhyme.org, and than got a bunch of his tone-def friends to mash away on their keyboards and beatkits, than sang (and by sang, I mean orally farted) them in the most annoying way possible. I cannot stand him. Terrible, terrible, terrible. The only songs even close to being listenable to are songs where he imported those Aerosmith and Stevie Nix songs.[/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1]Sure, he's got alot of vulgar for vulgar's sake (i.e. "Superman"), however he's also got alot of interesting, thought-provoking songs as well. How about you stop putting him down and voicing why you don't like him in a [i]civil and reasonable manner[/i]? All I hear from you right now is "whine whine."

Anyway, I acknowledge his talent -- it takes alot of skill to create some of the rhyme schemes he comes up with, and the delivery isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be, either. Furthermore, his work gets better as he gains experience -- rather than just having songs about killing his [former] wife, he's started giving some social commentary and thoughtful messages.

He's also leagues better than any other rapper -- he's the only one I've seen yet to break away from the exclusively drugs, sex, violence, and materialism.[/size]

[color=dimgray] I don't know why people rag on rap/hip-hop artists so much. Most arguments I've heard is that all they do is sing about girls, sex, or drugs, but seriously. What do you think other singers do in their free time? Get over it.

As for Eminem, I like him. I also hate how people put down rapping because it supposedly requires no talent. Try to rap something serious off the top of your head and make it sound good. You probably can't.

To be at the top of your game in any music scene, you have to have talent, and lots of it. [/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] I don't know why people rag on rap/hip-hop artists so much. Most arguments I've heard is that all they do is sing about girls, sex, or drugs, but seriously. What do you think other singers do in their free time? Get over it.[/color][/quote]
[size=1]I'm with you on the rest of the argument, but no other industry is quite as promiscuous or violent as the rap industry is. Honestly -- turn on MTV(2) and you'll see women wearing nothing dancing on poles and crawling in front of men, who drive amazing cars, wear expensive clothes and excessive bling, and live in expansive mansions.

I mean sure you can sing about sex and drugs and violence, but rap rarely does anything else, and it does it in such a vivid and disgusting manner.[/size]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] I don't know why people rag on rap/hip-hop artists so much. Most arguments I've heard is that all they do is sing about girls, sex, or drugs, but seriously. What do you think other singers do in their free time? Get over it.

As for Eminem, I like him. I also hate how people put down rapping because it supposedly requires no talent. Try to rap something serious off the top of your head and make it sound good. You probably can't.

To be at the top of your game in any music scene, you have to have talent, and lots of it. [/color][/QUOTE]
I agree with you when you say most of the arguments that you've heard. It's like the only reasons they can come up with. But honestly, I'm starting to agree with those people. And I use to listen to rap faithfully. When you hear rappers rap about money, sex, cars.... or rather fortune and fame over and over, it tends to become very tiresome. Of course this can be said about other music genre's as well. Which is probably why I listen to latin and a little bit of reggae... (Mainly just Sean Paul) because I don't understand a word that's being said. (I should sig that ^^ )

But about Eminem, talented. Probably the only rapper I'll listen to nowdays. (Cousin has my 2pac cd's.) I like how he talk's about his life or whatnot.

My brother actually wrote a paper on this.
I consider him an artist, but I don't like a lot of his stuff.
More than people like 50 Cent, etc.
I like some of his songs..but not all. I like songs like mockingbird and the more emotional songs.
But I still consider him an artist..just like I consider 50 Cent an artist. I just don't particularly care for them.

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

The rap genre comes under alot of fire in general because of it's violent and crude manner. But then, you must look at where it comes from.The majority of people who do rap are people who come from violent or poor enviorments, and when they rap about sex and drugs and violence, it's because that is where they come from. And when they rap about bling and money, that is because that is what they want. Rap artists don't feed you bull, like some rock musicians do by making songs about whatever, when their real motivations are money and women. Rap artists will tell you straight out what they want. Money, women, and fame.

One may argue that rap music is the only genre that has so much violence and what not. But we must look at the excessive sex/drug orgies carried out by the rock and pop bands of the '80s. Van Halen had back stage passes that basically invited all the women to a big sex party backstage. But Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and what not are celebrated as Rock Classics.

Hip Hop and Rap may be a crude, raw sound. But that is exactly what it is meant to be. A cold, unfiltered view of what some of America's ghettos and streets look like, the lives lead by those who are involved in the music.

As for Eminem, I have had a falling out with him because I enjoyed his older material better than the sentimentality of his current works. However, as he has said in several of his own songs, he does not mean for the things he says to be taken as serious statements. It can be compared to video games. On GTA, you might go and kill a hooker and run over police officers, but that doesn't mean you really hate cops and want to kill hookers. The man himself says that he doesn't really mean what he says in his more derogitory rhymes, he's just saying them theraputically. I enjoy his older music, and I believe that his rhyming is nearly unmatched today. Rapping is in no way an easy feat, so one shouldn't put it down as a 'talentless way of making money', when the ones who do it seem to have a particular passion about it.

Thats my opinion atleast.

[B]PS[/B]- Not all rap is good. In fact, quite alot of it sucks. You have to look past the main stream.[/color][/size]