OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']So it's definitely a transformation like Zelda/Sheik. But what I'm wondering is if you can switch between standard and Zero Suit modes at will, also like Zelda/Sheik, or if once you switch you're stuck as Zero Suit Samus for the rest of the fight. I'm hoping for the first (or at least for some way to get your power suit back), especially if the suit is removed simply by firing a fully charged beam shot.[/color][/quote][FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that if the Zero Suit Samus switch is triggered unwillingly (like a beam shot) then when you die, you'll be back to normal Samus. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option in the menu to toggle on/off Zero Suit Samus mode.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']So it's definitely a transformation like Zelda/Sheik. But what I'm wondering is if you can switch between standard and Zero Suit modes at will, also like Zelda/Sheik, or if once you switch you're stuck as Zero Suit Samus for the rest of the fight. I'm hoping for the first (or at least for some way to get your power suit back), especially if the suit is removed simply by firing a fully charged beam shot.[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]You know for some reason I can't shake the fact that the tranformation will be more along the lines of what the Zelda/Sheik one was. Probaly samus pushes a couple of buttons on her powersuit, bright light happens, armor is removed in said light, and bam. Zero suit samus. Don't know how exactly its going to be back the other way, but she just may press something, same bright light, and the armor comes back on. Because if you ever are one of those people who are actually able to stay alive on one life for a while. It would seem pretty unfair to only be able to switch one way then die. Espically durring stock mode.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

From [url=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151290][u]1UP.com[/u][/url]:

[quote]According to the French-based site LiveWii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl director Masashiro Sakurai commented on Japanese radio's "The Gaming Show" about various changes to the game's roster.

Sakurai announced Bowser Jr., the "Celda" version of Link, and Ridely, the archenemies of Samus, would all be joining the cast of characters for the Wii release.

This makes sense considering Bowser Jr. has had more prominent placement in various Mario sports titles, as well as being his dad's right hand man in New Super Mario Bros., and the "Celda" version of Link was seen on GameCube and now on the Nintendo DS in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Plus, with both Samus and Zero Suit Samus appearaning in SSBB, it makes sense her foe would get a chance to fight back.

We've also, unfortunately, learned of three current characters that will not be returning: The Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and Young Link have no home in SSBB. We don't know who exactly will take their place just yet, but Sakurai stated he wants a roster 40 deep, with 1-2 more non-Nintendo characters.

Time to start the guessing game.[/quote][color=#4B0082]So it looks like we're getting a "Celda" version of Link after all. Here's to hoping he differs from the Twilight Princess style Link more than Link and Young Link differed in SSBM.

Ridley, from Metroid fame, should be a popular addition. I've seen him suggested more times than probably anyone else, short of maybe Pit. Personally, I can't wait to see what kind of attacks he has. Though I hope they don't make him too floaty in the air, and that they give him a good balance between speed and power. Considering that, in the Metroid games, he's plenty fast but also really powerful; it wouldn't seem right to have him weighted too heavily in either direction.

I can't say I'm terribly excited about Bowser Jr. I've never really liked the character to begin with (the old Koopa Kids from SMB3/SMW were so much better), and I can't really see how much different he could be from Bowser except in size, speed, and power. . . . But, then again, maybe that'll make him more like the classic SSB Pikachu. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

As for Young Link, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ice Climbers getting the boot, I can't say I'll really miss them. Out of the three, I used Ice Climbers the most. And while they were amusing to play on, the reliance on the CPU controlled Nana really just broke the character.

About the total number of characters: Wow--just wow. 40 characters. Even if 1/5 of those are clones, like in SSBM, that's still leaves 32 originals and 18 new characters. And I thought SSBM had a large roster.[/color]

[color=#990066][size=1]AWESOME. O: I can't WAIT. ^u^ I'm so glad they jacked up the roster.

I REALLY DO hope they add some new Pokemon, *especially* because of the new series. And some actual awesome ones, and not the ones constantly advertised ¬_¬

Blaziken would just be hardcore. O: Damn I can see it now. Fighting like Falco only leaving burns behind like Ness's PK Fire. *droool*[/size][/color]

I know I'm going to be missing Game & Watch and Ice Climbers.

I didn't use G&W too much, but when I did, it was a lot of fun. He's such a bizarre character...and he fit in the line-up perfectly, because every character there was almost completely insane. G&W was almost symbolic of Smash Brothers, I think.

If there was one character that fully represented what Smash Bros was, it was G&W. Smash incorporates classic Nintendo characters into a massive free-for-all fighting game, giving them signature moves and some really nasty smash attacks. Each character has unique controls, and usually some absurd techniques.

Game & Watch was the most absurd out of the entire roster, I think. I'm going to miss the sausages.

Ice Climbers...I rock house with them. They were one of the deadliest characters in the game when played well, and their smash attacks rivaled Bowser and Ganondorf, especially if you managed to connect both Popo and Nana's fully charged smashes. It was nuts.

I'm really pissed to see them go. Even though they weren't my best characters to play as, they were one of the most fun.

Regarding Young Link...he was different enough from Old Link, because chaining combos was radically different between the two of them. The required approach was different, too.

Young Link was more tailored to a hit n run style complemented by minor projectile weaponry that was more a containment/snare than killing machines.

Old Link lacked the mobility, so playing as him usually becomes straight-up damage infliction. I don't want to say he's a toe-to-toe character, but he leans in that direction, being a medium weight.

When facing my brother, I always had more of a challenge when he'd play as Young Link rather than the older version.

I couldn't care less about Celda Link. His inclusion doesn't interest me all that much.

Ridley and Bowser Jr., on the other hand...I'm looking forward to.

I'm kind of expecting Ridley to play like SSBM Donkey Kong does: pretty fast, pretty strong, devastating offense, and surprisingly mobile.

I'm looking at Bowser Jr. as a type of Bowser/Ice Climbers hybrid: toned down shell attacks, still able to hold his own against most characters, nasty smash attacks, faster than most characters, but more on the light-weight end.

Guest Muzaki Hiroshi
:animedepr You gotta be freakin kiddin me no young link?!!!!!!! R U nuts! Young Link was like the best new character on melee. Ice Climbers were outrageously pathetic! Pichu a freagin time bomb and Mewtwo........... I won't even go there. I've seen a few of the characters for SSBB and I hope the new lineup can makeup for him. Link any Link period still rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twilight Princess needs to hurry up!!! :animeangr Man I hope Brawl made Snake look good.

[color=#4B0082]I never liked G&W. Other than a couple hard hitters (one of which is random), his moves are just an annoyance. Bacon? Wow, that's really going to stop me--for five seconds until I get past and bash you while you're putting that frying pan away. The parachute, while being completely cheap and stopping almost every move in the game, isn't actually that dangerous when you know to watch out for it. And the list goes on; he has tons of annoyance moves, but he's not much of an actual threat against a decent player.

Ice Climbers were fun and actually not bad, provided you could get Nana to actually stay with you and attack at the same time. But that was the trick--the CPU was about like a level 3 and way easier to kill that the human controlled Popo. And once Nana is KOed, you're basically playing half a character until you get KOed, which sucks pretty hard.

Young Link is dangerous if you try to fight him like you would the normal Link, because he is faster and can mess you up if you're not expecting that. But his moveset, being copied almost directly from Link, isn't suited to his speed and range. Link is a medium to long range character, with his sword and projectiles, and trying to fit a moveset designed around those ranges into a short range character just doesn't work. Young Link wants to strike from medium range, but due to his shorter sword, he's forced to get up in people's faces where he can't compete with the speed of characters like Fox, Falco, and Mario. Young Link is faster than Link but his attacks still don't match up against those of other short range characters.

Which is why I'm looking forward to the Celda Link. Considering that he's also a younger version of Link, I expect him to have a similar attribute balance, but hopefully he'll have moves better suited to that playstyle. More reliance on secondary weapons for slower, more powerful medium to long range attacks (Skull Hammer anyone?) would be cool, while the sword could be used for quick, light little slashes and combos at short range.

And speaking of Pichu and Mewtwo, I hope those two get the boot as well. Pichu shouldn't need any explanation; Mewtwo is just plain bad. He's horribly slow and floaty in the air and his moves are about the same speed as Bowser's, but he lacks any decent power aside from one or two moves. It's like playing a bigger, slower, and more awkward version of Kirby (who also sucks in SSBM, but I'm hoping they'll fix him for SSBB) but without the extra jumps.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]The Ice Climbers?

Why the Ice Climbers? They were such unique characters. I love playing the Ice Climbers even today and they remain one of my favourite SSBM characters.

And I never thought as Nana as half of the Ice Climbers. I always thought of her as a bonus and Popo was always a little bit weaker than the other SSBM characters... Sure, you don't jump as high, but as far as moves go if you know how to use Popo correctly, it's not hard to play normally.

Think of Nana as a second chance to live, maybe?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Well, yeah, you can still use a solo Popo in the same way you'd use both Popo and Nana together. But then the only thing that makes the Ice Climbers appealing in a technical sense--the fact that they get two attacks with one move--is gone. And you're left with a subpar character lacking in both strength and speed, as well as the ability to recover after being knocked away from the platform.

The concept is great, but no matter how you think of it, the execution is lacking. You're simply forced to rely too heavily on an easily KOed CPU counterpart just to bring the character as a whole up to par. With that being the case, I think the character either needs to be fixed, or they should get the boot. I'd love to see a better version of the Ice Climbers in SSBB, but it looks like Sakurai and the team chose the other option.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I'd love to see a better version of the Ice Climbers in SSBB, but it looks like Sakurai and the team chose the other option.[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Which is a shame because it could esily have been fixed.

As for Bowser Jr. being a playable character; I'm not against it at all. He's my favourite Mario enemy and I doubt he'll be anything like Bowser. Bowser Jr. having a different set of moves isn't as unlikely as you may think.

[b]Contains spoilers from Super Mario Sunshine.[/b]
[spoiler]For instance, he could easily be the Bowser Jr. version from Super Mario Sunshine. He could have a paintbrush as his main attack, etc.[/spoiler] I've never actually known Bowser Jr. to breath fire, so I would be surprised if any of his attacks included fire.

He's also (obviously) much faster than Bowser, so there's another big difference. All in all, the only thing I can think of that would be similiar between the two (besides looks) is the one attack where Bowser spins inside his shell. Because you have to remember, most of Bowser's attacks are based on his weight. So, when you have Bowser Jr. you have completely different moves.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503F86]Well, I won't miss the Ice Climbers. I couldn't even stand beating them up, heh.

I'm disappointed that young Link won't be there, though. At least it gives more scope for a more diverse character rota, though, bearing in mind they were almost indentical in looks. You almost couldn't tell that Ganondorf was a clone of Captain falcon because of the sheer difference in power, speed and overall design. I like the subtleties.

Bowser Jr seems a bit of a cop-out, but Ridley can only be much-plus-good news ^_^

*eagerly awaits addition of extra Starfox characters... perhaps*[/COLOR]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4b0082']The concept is great, but no matter how you think of it, the execution is lacking. You're simply forced to rely too heavily on an easily KOed CPU counterpart just to bring the character as a whole up to par.[/color][/quote] Desi...we have got to get together some time and play SSBM against each other. I'd love to show you what Ice Climbers can do in the hands of a skilled player. ~_^

Thing about G&W, though, is that some of his moves aren't designed to "stop" players. The sausage thing, particularly. It's added damage infliction from range.

G&W already has some insanely powerful smash attacks (his fully charged >+A can kill players fairly easily), his counter is one of the truly devastating counters in the game (absorb three fully charged shots...muaha), the 6-9 for >+B have killing power.

He's a bit slow, yeah, but he's got a nice downward spike, not to mention a solid neutral A that can provide a very effective multi-target snare.

His recovery jump is one of the better recoveries in the game; it has a great height to it, solid range potential, and generally, when you can recover jump from near the bottom level to the upper platforms of most of the stages? Yeah, that's good stuff.

And his throws are insane. Peach's forward throw and Mario's reverse throw are the only ones that really match them.

I agree G&W is a weird character, but his moveset is pretty diabolical. As is Mewtwo's. And Pichu has some of the strongest smash attacks in the game. ~_^

Of course, the only character I'm truly annoyed about losing is Ice Climbers. They're adorable bundles of destruction.

I am looking forward to Ridley, though. Let's hope online function stays intact so we can do some tourneys. ^_^

[quote name='Papa Smurf']Desi...we have got to get together some time and play SSBM against each other. I'd love to show you what Ice Climbers can do in the hands of a skilled player. ~_^[/quote][color=#4B0082]You buying the plane tickets? :p

However, I'm fully aware of how good the Ice Climbers can be. I've actually used them quite a bit and gotten fairly good on them. But no matter how good you get with them, you still become heinously crippled as soon as Nana gets KOed. Player skill can make up for that, but on an even playing field it hurts you a lot.[/color]

[QUOTE=Papa Smurf]Thing about G&W, though, is that some of his moves aren't designed to "stop" players. The sausage thing, particularly. It's added damage infliction from range.

G&W already has some insanely powerful smash attacks (his fully charged >+A can kill players fairly easily), his counter is one of the truly devastating counters in the game (absorb three fully charged shots...muaha), the 6-9 for >+B have killing power.

He's a bit slow, yeah, but he's got a nice downward spike, not to mention a solid neutral A that can provide a very effective multi-target snare.

His recovery jump is one of the better recoveries in the game; it has a great height to it, solid range potential, and generally, when you can recover jump from near the bottom level to the upper platforms of most of the stages? Yeah, that's good stuff.

And his throws are insane. Peach's forward throw and Mario's reverse throw are the only ones that really match them.[/quote][color=#4B0082]As a straight up damage move, I have to laugh at the bacon/sausage/whatever it is. Like with Young Link, my brother played on G&W a fair bit, and he'd get maybe 15-20% on me before I'd run up, smack him, and hurt him just as much. And at longer ranges, it's so easy to dodge (mainly because only a few pieces ever fly that far) it's not even funny.

His smash attack is powerful, I'll give him that. It's one of his best moves, but it's also slow, so it's hard to combo into. That and the Side+B (which relies on luck, making it risky to use) are his most dangerous moves, though the light Down+A ground attack isn't bad either. The throws are okay, but also hard to catch people with (yay for animation culling).

He does have a great Up+B for recovery, true. But on the other hand, it's almost useless as an actual attack. And considering how easy he is to smack around, he really needs a good recovery move.

Overall, he's a wacky character that's good for annoying the crap out of your opponents, but as a straight up fighter he just isn't that great. And that makes it hard to get KOs with him, unless you can get some opportunistic kills in a four player free-for-all.[/color]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']I agree G&W is a weird character, but his moveset is pretty diabolical. As is Mewtwo's. And Pichu has some of the strongest smash attacks in the game. ~_^[/quote][color=#4B0082]I've never played against a good human controlled Mewtwo, but from playing him myself he does seem similar to G&W--only worse. He's even slower, is even more lacking in KO moves, doesn't have as good recovery jumps, and is horribly floaty and predictable in the air. You can annoy people with him, but I just can't see any viable way to play him seriously.

Pichu, sure, his side smash is really powerful but only if your opponent is practically on top of you; otherwise it's crap. His down+A ground smash is good, since it's just two powerful kicks to either side--like Pikachu's down+A ground smash in SSB--instead of the stupid spinny thing Pikachu does, and it's one of the few powerful attacks he has that doesn't hurt him. The down+B Thunder is pretty powerful if you can hit with it, but again, you take damage as well. Oh, and he's about the lightest character in the game, so all that incidental damage from simply using your moves actually hurts you a lot. Pichu has a couple good moves, while everything else about him is crap; the pros of playing Pikachu instead far outweigh the cons.[/color]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']Of course, the only character I'm truly annoyed about losing is Ice Climbers. They're adorable bundles of destruction.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Agreed. I do wish they had opted to fix Nana instead of ditching the character entirely. But I also prefer ditching them over leaving a broken character in the game, as that frees up a spot for one that isn't broken.[/color]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']I am looking forward to Ridley, though. Let's hope online function stays intact so we can do some tourneys. ^_^[/quote][color=#4B0082]Yes, I really hope we'll be able to do at least 1-on-1 matches online. Sakurai has talked about alternate modes for online play if four player free-for-all is too laggy, but really, all I care about are the standard multiplayer game setups. If the game is online, but I can't play my friends in a straight-up fight, what good is it?[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
I know thw WII isn't out in the US yet but i had to make a post of the Super Smash brothers Brawl game. it will truly be awesome even with the addition of 3 new character and a revamped one namily samus. or should i say Zero suit samus. i saw a trailer and this is strickly an opinion. i think the Super Smash brothers Brawl will out sell even super mario galaxy.

And with the console wars being so High with the 600$ PS3 and the 500$ x-box 360 and microsoft already annouced their will be no price drop on the 360 by the holiday's i think nintendo got this console war all wraped up with the 249$ WII. i just hope their won't be a shortage of Wii's come the holidays.

Here a link below about the game and it's characters.

[url]http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/index.html[/url]

Never Give Up.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Haven't posted here in a while, heh. I just thought I'd stop by and say that I think the addition of Ridley in Smash Bros. Brawl is dumb. Ridley as a villain in Metroid Prime is cool, but as a playable character? Come on, Nintendo. You can do better.

You know why? Because I just can't imagine a purple (or red, whatever) wyvern-dragon-thing flying around a Smash Bros arena fighting characters like Mario and Link. It just doesn't connect in my brain. Ridley is not humanoid at [i]all[/i] (at least characters like Pikachu have humanoid-features).

I'm completely against having Ridley in Smash Bros. Please, someone tell me why he [i]should[/i] be in it because if there is a good enough reason out there, I won't be so against it anymore (and I don't like being angry with Nintendo ;___;).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Ridley is about as humanoid as Bowser is, he just has longer limbs as well as wings. (And yes, Ridley can and does stand on his hind legs. Play any of the 2D Metroids and he always stands while on the ground.) So I don't see why that's a problem. And really, if Kirby passes, [i]anyone[/i] should; he's nothing but a ball with feet and hands.

And, like Bowser, he should be fun to rampage around the level with, tearing people up with his claws, tail, and fireballs. It's almost exactly the same concept as Bowser, just that Ridley will probably be more mobile. (I imagine he'll be able to jump similar to how Pit does in the trailer.) Personally, I'm really looking forward to that, since I like Bowser's moveset but I hate how sluggish he is.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I guess that's good enough reason not to dislike Ridley. I think the only reason I'm hesitant towards him is he's much more realistic graphics-wise. He literaly could pass as a non-cartoony wyvern with arms and hands.

But I guess they could change the graphics a little bit to fit him into the Smash Bros. surroundings.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, that's pretty true, especially for the first game. If you want to see something funny, go [url=http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/m1/artwork.htm][u]here[/u][/url] and check out the Norfair Creatures art. Ridley is the one in the bottom-right corner. Yes, that's really him. And the actual [url=http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/m1/screens.htm][u]sprites[/u][/url] are only marginally closer to the Ridley we know and love today.[/color]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][font=Tahoma]I guess that's good enough reason not to dislike Ridley. I think the only reason I'm hesitant towards him is he's much more realistic graphics-wise. He literaly could pass as a non-cartoony wyvern with arms and hands.

But I guess they could change the graphics a little bit to fit him into the Smash Bros. surroundings.[/font][/color][/QUOTE][color=#503f86]He was featured briefly in the title sequence of Melee, don't forget. I thought he fit in fine in the little Metroid scene. But bearing in mind how well Nintendo have managed to make the characters from different franchises blend together in one game so well (I don't think twice about seeing Ganondorf againt Pikachu now, despite their incredibly different styles in their original games), and now that they've eliminated Game and Watch, I don't think any character will look too out of the ordinary.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with in terms of Ridley's look.
[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']*eagerly awaits addition of extra Starfox characters... perhaps*[/COLOR][/quote]
They have to add Star Fox characters! I thought it was a given, actually (since there are so many Mario characters, and only two Star Fox characters). If they are to add any more, I'm thinking either Krystal (of Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault) and/or Star Wolf.

If they do add Krystal, I really hope they use her Assault costume. The Adventures look for her just seems sleezy. Heh.

Does anyone know anything about any other character additions? I heard some rumors about Waluigi making an appearance, but that's probably just people assuming he'll be in it since Wario is. What do you think?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]As far as I know there haven't been any official announcements since the last one I posted about Ridley, G&W, etc.

I kind of doubt Waluigi will make it in, if only because of the multitude of other Mario characters already present. Maybe if they made him a clone of one of the others (a faster Wario perhaps), but otherwise, there's only so much you can do with that type of character.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma][QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]As far as I know there haven't been any official announcements since the last one I posted about Ridley, G&W, etc.

I kind of doubt Waluigi will make it in, if only because of the multitude of other Mario characters already present. Maybe if they made him a clone of one of the others (a faster Wario perhaps), but otherwise, there's only so much you can do with that type of character.[/color][/QUOTE]

I would rather Waluigi be a clone of Luigi (bigger jumps, etc). But to do this, they would have to make Luigi a bit different from Mario because otherwise you would have 3 Mario clones (Luigi, Waluigi and Dr. Mario).

I doubt Wario will be anything like Mario as he's in his Wario Ware clothing giving him a variety of skills that Mario couldn't get. This is also the reason why I think that Waluigi won't be in Brawl. If Wario is in his Wario Ware clothing, than Waluigi just wouldn't match him.

Unless of course they come out with a Waluigi title game for the Wii before Brawl comes out. That would be awesome. ;)[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 months later...
[color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Ah so apparently there is a new [URL=http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2686]SSBB Trailer[/URL] that shows how some of the characters will play. They all seemed to play rather well but Snake did move a tad bit slower than I had though he would but atleast he still gets to use his RPG.

They also have a new (but not so new) character in the trailer, tis Fox. From what you can see in the trailer his speed seems the same as in Melee which is good seeing as that was his biggest advantage. The newer looking levels look gourgeous from the view given, as well as seeing some of the new characters fight.

All of this just makes me want it to come out faster.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]The gameplay looks more or less a lot like Melee (which is a good thing). I've got to admit this whole crawling while ducked technique looks prety spiffy (seen used by Snake and Pikachu).

I'm kind of diappointed otherwise, though. The stages certainly aren't anything fabulous (the shyguy race track basically just looks like the F-Zero level) and the character design for Mario still looks like ****. Seriously, he somehow seems shorter and his jeans are like.. baggy. It's weird.

But they seem to have kept true to the new characters older days. Wario's moves made me laugh as I remember similar ones in Wario Land (especially the headbutt, haha), Snake's moves seemed funny in a Smash Bros. enviornment (the crawling and then RPG was just priceless) and Icarus and Metaknights hack and slash looked awesome.

So, in all I'm still extremely excited for this title. I just hope they get some better levels and upgrade Mario's look.[/FONT][/COLOR]