OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

[color=#4B0082]
[center][img]http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1428/ssbblogo6tg.jpg[/img][/center]

I'm sure everyone who kept up with the news from E3 already knows about SSBB, but I still just had to make a thread for the game. Short of Twilight Princess, it has me more excited than any other game I saw displayed.

First, a link to the official site: [url=http://www.smashbros.com/en/main.html][u]Smash Bros. Dojo[/u][/url]. It's being run by Masahiro Sakurai himself, the director of the Super Smash Bros. series. On the site is the trailer shown at E3, screen shots, and an mp3 download of the game's main theme. As well, there's a tantalizing Characters image, tucked in between the Movie and Music links, which is currently grayed out and inactive.

So [b]go watch the trailer[/b] if you haven't already. It rocks. So hard.

Also, Nintendo.com has posted a [url=http://e3.nintendo.com/news/shigeru_miyamoto_and_masahiro_sakurai_talk_smash_b/][u]transcript[/u][/url] of the Q&A session held by Miyamoto and Sakurai. There's lots of tasty info to be gotten out of that as well, including this bit which was of particular interest to me:[/color]

[quote][size=1][b]How will Super Smash Bros. for Wii take advantage of the controller?[/b]

Mr. Sakurai: We've actually been working with some different ideas, and we've found that trying to implement too much of the motion sensor could actually get in the way of the game. We're looking at trying to keep the controls simple, as they have been in past games. Of course, you all know that the Wii hardware has ports for the GameCube controller as well. So, I'll just say now that you may not want to throw away your GameCube controllers just yet!

Mr. Miyamoto and Nintendo have encouraged developers to really take advantage of the Wii Controller and find innovative ways to implement it into their games. So in that sense, I'm going in a different direction, and trying to offer something that has more of the standard control features that all of you have come to expect.[/size][/quote][color=#4B0082]While the Wii style control in Zelda: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption looks great, I'm actually happy to hear that SSBB will stick to a more standard control scheme. I could probably come up with a decent control scheme using the remote and nunchuk attachment, but I really doubt it would ever get to be as intuitive as SSBM is for me now. So I certainly will be keeping my GCN controllers around after I get a Wii.

Oh yes, and another tidbit from Smash Bros. Dojo: SSBB's music will all be fully orchestrated. Already with SSB and SSBM, I've spent countless hours listening to the classic Nintendo remixes, as well as the Smashing Live! SSBM orchestral tracks. And now we're getting the awesome quality of the Smashing Live! concert right in the game itself. Sound Test, here I come.[/color]

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Sienna]I'm glad that they're going to not try and be TOO innovative with the new Super Smash Bros. game. I would hate the game to become overly complex and not as fun, although the prospect of fighting my friends by actually fighting them with the controller is inticing....

Can't wait! Any news on the new characters I've heard a lot about?[/COLOR]

I still can't quite get a grip on how much time it will take to get used to the Wii controller style, but the game looks awesome. Especially with [spoiler]Snake[/spoiler] as a new playable character. Amongst other new characters we have [spoiler]Metaknight, Pit, Zero suit samus, and Wario[/spoiler]. Put up spoiler tags just in case there are people who don't want to know who the new characters are.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]How can they not know who the characters are if they watched the movie. Yet I think that just sealed the deal. I am defintly getting a Wii first before many of the other systems. Well..I am not to sure yet.

However when I first realised that I missed the trailer at E3. However this greatly makes up for it.I mean I am still in awe at what those wierd power up things really did. I just want to explode at the anticipation. Yet like many other people in this thread will probaly say in the future. how would one play out snake in such a battle? I am pretty sure he is going to have a pistol of some kind with him. maybe his combat knife for close combat, yet what else? Him and Metaknight though I look foward to owning people with them. I wonder if they are going to carry over the secret characters from Meele to this though.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]How can they not know who the characters are if they watched the movie. Yet I think that just sealed the deal. I am defintly getting a Wii first before many of the other systems. Well..I am not to sure yet.

However when I first realised that I missed the trailer at E3. However this greatly makes up for it.I mean I am still in awe at what those wierd power up things really did. I just want to explode at the anticipation. Yet like many other people in this thread will probaly say in the future. how would one play out snake in such a battle? I am pretty sure he is going to have a pistol of some kind with him. maybe his combat knife for close combat, yet what else? Him and Metaknight though I look foward to owning people with them. I wonder if they are going to carry over the secret characters from Meele to this though.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

...this is assuming everyone has seen the movie, the very same people who do not wish to know for whatever reason would be those who did not wish to or simply have not yet seen the movie o_O.

As for sealing the deal...I need a bit more personally but SSBB is a good start. But i guess this is also considering that i'm already planning on getting a PS3 (one way or another...everytime i look at the release price it makes me hug my bank card tightly). I also imagine snake will have some kind of grenade move, probably something to do with the cardboard box (block perhaps) and his throws will probably be CQC moves.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wow. :animeblus

I was at school when I first heard of the game, for a friend of mine had informed me. He told me to look at the trailer as soon as I could, so I downloaded it during school in the library (though, you?re not suppose to?I couldn?t wait!). I was in utter awe, from beginning to end! People were crowding around my computer, asking me to play it over and over again, but I didn?t mind. A teacher even came by, exclaiming ?Damn!? as he saw the graphics. :animesmil

In other words, I?ll be waiting for you all when this comes out online. ;)

The thing that intrigues me the most is the new uber attacks that they were pulling off, the best of which being Kirby broiling Mario. :D I?m wondering if Samus will really have two different characters right next to each other in the line up, or if the armor will come off during battle after that huge beam?Probably the former, but if the latter, you could use a little more strategy with her?I wonder why they decided to put her in. I guess if you could have two different Links with the same move set, you could have two totally different Samuses?could you make a name a plural noun? :animestun

Also, I?m near positive that Snake will have his box in his game. Probably as a counter, too. At least, maybe that?s just what I hope. Pit looks cool, I like how they pulled him out of his grave, considering I bet everyone either forgot about him, or never knew him in the first place. But I?m glad his back and his double swords looks awesome. And he can shoot freaking laser beams from his bow and arrows, damn it!!! Maybe I?ll have a new character in my arsenal? Metaknight, when I saw him, I was like, ??Bout freakin? time!!!? I wonder how many jumps he?ll have considering he could fly like Kirby when his cape turns into wings. Now I only want King Dedede and Knuckle Job, and I?ll be happy with the Kirby line-up. :)

And lastly Wario?uhhhh?no real comment at the time, but his super is oddly ...powerful?I'm glad he has his WarioWare suit on for some reason. :rolleyes:

Other characters I hope to be in the game:
Maybe some more Fire Emblem characters, like Lyndis and Hector from Rekka no Ken, the first one on the GBA. I can?t really think of anymore Zelda characters they could add? I would love to play as Paper Mario., considering he could have a different move set from regular Mario. Captain Olimar could be used like the Ice Climbers maybe, in that they follow him, giving each of his specials use to one of the colors of Pikmin, and allowing the Pikmins to get knocked off the stage, lessening his effectiveness. But how could they fit the Pikmins leaf growing into buds or flowers? Maybe they could use a power-up or something. I think every character having their own power-up based off their games would be kinda cool. :animeknow

Well, that;s just all my thoughts at the moment. I?ll be when new info comes. Or later.[/FONT][/COLOR] :animeswea

[color=#503f86]Ah, the trailer hasn't even finished and I've only been this excited by any game once- Smash Bros Melee. I was hoping for some news about this.

Wii can't come soon enough.

I wonder how many more new characters and areas there'll be. The stuff there looks astounding and the powerups will hopefully add a more interesting dymanic to an already very accomplished game, but I know there's stuff in there I'll be disappointed to not see. [spoiler]I could have done without Wario, personally. And although Snake wasn't someone I was [i]hoping[/i] for necessarily, it's really nice to see him as a guest. I hope we won't get too many more Pokemon thrown in the lineup.[/spoiler][/color]

[color=#503F86]Pit's redesign looks pretty sharp, too. Looking at his trophy in SSB:M really put me off seeing him in Brawl, heh, but I guess I should have had more faith in the developers. bad me.

EDIT: [i]And[/i] fully orchestrated music? Beautiful ^____^[/COLOR]

I can still rememeber when the first Super Smash Bros came out for the Nintendo 64. Damn that game was inovative. Unfortunately I never purchased it - I only borrowed it from a friend from time-to-time. But when I got my GameCube, Super Smash Bros. Melee was one of the first games I got. And I kid you not, that game did not exit my GC for at least 6 weeks. There was just so freakin' much to do. Plus its one of the best examples of why Nintendo rule the Party-Game Genre

I think Super Smash Bros. Brawl has jsut garanteed me getting a Wii. Can't wait to kick *** as Snake this time :animesmil

Hoo yeah! I never officially owned the first SSB (Well, yes I did, but my parents took it away 'cause at the time they thought it was too violent -___-), but when the second game came out, it was one of the first games I got (I got it for Christmas, actually), and it was then that the GameCube controller became an extension of my hands. I could NOT stop playing. Then I unlocked all the characters and whatnot, and totally went rampant on the game with my homie MewTwo. Ahh...good times, good times. I sincerely hope this new installment creates the same fangirl addiction.

I've bought the Camecube version of SSBM and loved it but ended up selling my GC and my copy, But im psyched for the SSBB with the new characters it looks alot better than the GC version, Im glad they kept all the characters and i cannot wait to play as Solid snake, Snake has got to be my favorite video game character ever.

But what next? they will start to add master Chief and all that, That would be severly boring but xbox fanboys would run and buy the next nintendo to play as MC.anyway i plan on buying both the PS3 and the WII, i just pray it will be good but im sure it will.

I really can't wait for this. It looks awesome and is another reason to get the new nintendo console, Also with the addition of Snake i'd have to say a pretty good move considering the amount of hype that has caused.

[color=#555555][CENTER].....

*silence*

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

It's [i]Smash Brothers![/i]

*cheer*[/center]

[FONT=Tahoma]Wow, I am in complete awe. The graphics are [i]very[/i] impressive. Oh, boy. And the techniques! I imagine you'll have to go through some pretty hardcore button combonations to get those ones off.

The music! Full orchestrated! A deluxe chorus completely in [i]latin[/i]. Very nice touch. The theme song was flawless. Wooie!

Does anyone know if the five characters shown in the trailer are the only new characters, or just the only new characters you start with?

I'll post again when I've calmed down.

...Wow![/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I look forward to having a 16 player Otakuboards Tourney and winning it.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^If there is online capabilities with the Wii which there had better be. I am so ready to ownerz all of you in this game.

You know I wonder if Super smash will ever try to do what halo 2 did and create a CD with all the songs on it. Not only would they make more money but then many people like I who sit in the sound room for hours on end just listining to the songs would love them.

Although the only thing that makes it seem odd for me getting a Wii is this

"Hold on a second, I am upstairs playing with my Wii" yet this game should change all that.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^If there is online capabilities with the Wii which there had better be. I am so ready to ownerz all of you in this game..[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Good then you will be gald to hear there is .You just need a wireless connection.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]!!![/I][/B]

[QUOTE]The hero of the NES game Kid Icarus.
Head of the royal bodyguards for the goddess Palutena, a denizen of Angel Land. At will, Pit is able to separate and unite the blades of the Sacred Bow of Palutena, which was given to him by the goddess. This allows him to adapt to the circumstances of any battle as he fights.

Just as Link's design has evolved over the life of the Legend of Zelda series, Pit, who was born in the same time period, has taken a giant leap forward in his evolution.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Kidicarus-mini.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/Kid_Icarus_box.jpg/433px-Kid_Icarus_box.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara2/img/photo_l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara2/img/photo_l1.jpg[/IMG]

[/FONT][/COLOR][IMG]http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara2/img/photo_l3.jpg[/IMG]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
...Pit...is...mine...

*Dies* :animestun[/color][/font]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]EDIT: *Tatsu uses Phoenix Down (somehow...)!*

[QUOTE]This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!

Naturally, Zero Suit Samus loses power and stamina, so she should fight using the speed she gains instead.
Also, her gun transforms and can be used as a whip. Of the two, one might consider the whip to be her main weapon.

And don't worry?you'll still be able to play as standard Samus, too.[/QUOTE]

So, probably as we saw in the Trailer, when Samus uses her big-arse Pwning Beam, then her armor will crumble under the pressure, just as I (kinda) thought.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, they did an excellent job on taking the two-dimensional Pit and making him 3D.

I mean, it's not very easy to go from about 54 small squares to a amazingly complex three-dimensional object. You can definately tell that he is Pit. They kept all the main features, but made him look [i]awesome[/i]. I think Nintendo has a nack for going from 16-bit to... whatever they are now (just look at Samus, Link and Mario!).

Really, I cannot wait for the game. And I can't [i]wait[/i] to see how they incorporated the new controller system with the fighting. Oh boy. I'm getting excited again.

[CENTER]*runs to watch the trailer*[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]
Really, I cannot wait for the game. And I can't [i]wait[/i] to see how they incorporated the new controller system with the fighting. Oh boy. I'm getting excited again.

[CENTER]*runs to watch the trailer*[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The Wii mote will not be used for Brawl just throwing that out there for anyone who was confused. It wouldnt work out to well to begin with. You will either use a controler skin or a GC controler to play Brawl.

[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yeah, I heard that they didn't want to make it to complcated, or something, so it will for the most part use the Gamecube controller.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Whew, good thing that the controler is going to be more like the Gamecube one instead of the Wiimote. Can you Imagine playing the game with four people using the Wiimote? It would probaly be something like this. ¬_¬

Announcer guy: Fight! -everyone starts moving around, flailing body parts and such-
Guy 1: Ow! You just freaking hit me in the face, I think my nose is bleeding.
Guy 2: Well it was an accident! Just like how you hit me in the stomach.
Guy 3: -Already on the ground from being hit in the testicles-
Guy 4: -was smart enough to be away from the others and wins-

Yeah for some reason I have a though that its going to act out exactly like that. However one of the other good things about the old school game cube controler is the fact that there is no need to get used to a new controler. That way we can head straight to the online play and start beating the competition.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Announcer guy: Fight! -everyone starts moving around, flailing body parts and such-[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

...And such...? :animeswea

I think it's kind of funny that you called the Gamecube's controller Old-School... But I now that I thinik about it, there are many dangers to using the Wiimote (I'm gonna call it this for now on. :D ), beating the crap out of each other...I can't wait...

Also, you can go so fast in Smash Bros., the reflexes you would need would have to be totally Ninja-level... :animestun

I foresee if the Wiimote (I love that name!) is used in for gameplay, a lot of people will get hurt... :animedepr

Mother-figure: Timmy!!! What happened to your eye!?!?
Timmy: M-me and Sam...*sob* were playing Smash Bros. Brawl, and...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Haha, I love the name too. Wiimote. I guess it's pronounced "Wee-mote", but I really like calling it the Weh-mote. Like Remote with a W. This will be spelled W-E-M-O-T-E. And it will be the best pronounciation evar.

But they aren't going to make use of the new controllers? That's a shame. I would have at least suspected they would have them for mini-games, like a different version of the Target or Homerun Derby ones. Ah well.

Hey, did anyone else notice that in the beginning of the trialer when the graphics of the characters are changing, Kirby doesn't change at [i]all[/i]. I mean, Mario and Link looked great, and you can at least [i]see[/i] a difference in Pikachu... but Kirby just stays the same.

Maybe it's just because I was on my laptop. :animesigh

[quote=E3 Q&A]Will Wario have a fart move?
Sakurai: Yes he will.[/quote]

Awesome.

[quote=E3 Q&A]
Will the roster be expanded to control more characters than what we've seen?
Sakurai: Of course, there are plenty of other characters we want to include, but nothing I can speak about today.[/quote][/FONT] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]

Hey, did anyone else notice that in the beginning of the trialer when the graphics of the characters are changing, Kirby doesn't change at [i]all[/i]. I mean, Mario and Link looked great, and you can at least [i]see[/i] a difference in Pikachu... but Kirby just stays the same.

Maybe it's just because I was on my laptop. :animesigh

[/FONT] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

No I noticed it to. Then I relizaed what could they possibly do to change kirby. Seeing as he has the most simplistic design. Link and Mario do look great the details are incredible.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Hey, did anyone else notice that in the beginning of the trialer when the graphics of the characters are changing, Kirby doesn't change at [i]all[/i]. I mean, Mario and Link looked great, and you can at least [i]see[/i] a difference in Pikachu... but Kirby just stays the same.[/FONT'] [/COLOR][/quote]
Simple, White. He (?) was already perfect. They couldn't make him anymore perfect, otherwise your computer would explode everytime you watched the trailer, which probably be like, what, eighteen times? And the Wii would explode every time you watched the opening. :cool: [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Hunter DX']No I noticed it to. Then I relizaed what could they possibly do to change kirby. Seeing as he has the most simplistic design. Link and Mario do look great the details are incredible.[/quote]
[COLOR=55555][FONT=Tahoma]Well, the cooking hat was a nice addition. I hope he can have that on as one of his alternative costumes. Just like I hope Wario can have his normal costume available.

But you're right. There isn't much they can do with Kirby. He doesn't even wear clothes. Unless they wanted to give him flashy G-Unit sneakers... there won't ever be much detail.

However he still fits into the Wii surroundings nicely.[/FONT][/COLOR]