OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I'm kind of diappointed otherwise, though. The stages certainly aren't anything fabulous (the shyguy race track basically just looks like the F-Zero level) and the character design for Mario still looks like ****. Seriously, he somehow seems shorter and his jeans are like.. baggy. It's weird.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

I slightly agree with the first point. I didn't like that the Mario Kart level is seemingly Mute City in Mario Kart colors; I hope something is added to it to spice it up a bit. I'm sure that there will be great levels though. The Kid Icarus level with the crumbling platforms looked fun, for example. I'd like to see the developers go all the way with that - maybe include some of the enemies from Kid Icarus, like the Eggplant Wizard or even Medusa. It'd be hilarious to see a character's head turned into an eggplant during a battle, haha.

I'm indifferent about Mario's design. The jeans look a bit weird, sure, but who's really going to notice that during gameplay? lol

Also I loved Fox in the trailer. He looks even cooler now, and he has an upgraded taunt~. Fox's taunt is my favorite in Smash Bros. Melee (closely rivaled by Game and Watch's and Donkey Kong's taunts); it's awesome to see that it's actually been made more arrogant. I am pleased.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]Man i wish they would leave every character on there from SSMM. Pichu was so much fun to play with especially when me and my friend would double team his fox with our pichus.... man he got PWNED worsed than anyone ive ever seen. I was also getting pretty heated about people talking crap about jigglypuff. Oh man you guys have no idea how evil that little thing can be. i gave my best friend and just about anyone else a real hard time trying to hit her and knock her out for good. If i had more time to pratice i would have been able to perfect the timing for her sleep knockout attack. Im also gonna miss the iceclimbers. Those little bastards were hard as hell when someone knew how to play as them and there secret ability to be able to get back into the platform was crazy and very defensive. As far Mewtwo goes.....no comment. I cant wait for brawl and start brawling it up at my friends job.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']You're a bit late. Like, eight months late. . . . I posted that article back when it was first announced. :p[/color][/quote]

Aw hell I just found the article today and with all the character speculation i thought it would help :animesigh .

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=dimgray][FONT=Tahoma]Alright, so they've updated the [url=http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/list/index.html]website[/url]. Some pretty neat stuff but I'm craving more (they update the site every weekday from now on) information about the game. I've gone so nuts I've even found myself lurking the GameFAQS forums.

So, inspired by all of this I've decided to bring in a GameFAQSesque topic. Costumes. I've made up the main and alternate costumes for the characters. Keep in mind that when I mention an alternate costume as a character, it means if you were to choose that costume, it wouldn't say the regular name it would say the costumes name. Tell me what you think. :)

[b]Mario[/b]
#1: Brawl (what he looks like in Brawl)
#2: Galaxy (Normal Mario without fire and gravity defying powers)
#3: Raccoon Mario (Super Mario Bros. 3)
#4: Dr. Mario

[b]Peach:[/b]
#1: Brawl (an updated, and more-detailed version)
#2: Regular (Melee)
#3: Classic (N64 Graphics)
#4: Daisy Brawl

[b]Bowser:[/b]
#1: Brawl
#2: Bulky (From games where he's drawn pudgier like Paper Mario and Super Mario 64)
#3: Dry Bones (The final boss version of him from New Super Mario Bros.)
#4: Green (From the old TV shows)

Well, that's all I feel like doing for now.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Time for some new updates. :)

Crates and barrels are now funner than ever, because according to the website, these items will now have different appearances to blend in with the mood of certain stages. Also, crates can now slide along with barrels, which I think is a brilliant idea since it could change up the gameplay a little.

[center][img]http://i9.tinypic.com/549gufd.jpg[/img]
[/center]
[center]

[/center]
[center][img]http://i14.tinypic.com/504vurb.jpg[/img]

[/center]
As for characters, the legendary Samus makes a return and is now shinier than ever. And I guess that means that Samus and Zero Suit Samus will be two different playable characters instead of just one as I originally thought.

[center][img]http://i8.tinypic.com/4uxzjvc.jpg[/img]

[/center]
I love all the little details that have gone into this game so far, and visually speaking, Brawl is looking really good.

And White, those are some neat costume ideas you got there. Raccoon Mario would be pretty fun to play around with. I really hope that Nintendo/Hal do add in some kind of character customization mode to change the character appearances instead of letting us change their colors.

[quote name='Treble']As for characters, the legendary Samus makes a return and is now shinier than ever. And I guess that means that Samus and Zero Suit Samus will be two different playable characters instead of just one as I originally thought.[/quote][color=#007520]Didn't Masahiro Sakurai say in an interview that Zero Suit Samus would be a version of Samus? I guess in the same way that Mario and Dr. Mario... or maybe Zelda and Sheik.

Here, I found the wiki. :) .
[quote]Samus Aran has changed the most of all; "under certain conditions," she will remove her Power Suit, taking up the name "Zero Suit Samus". Donning only her Zero Suit, she wields a gun that can transform into a laser whip.[/quote]I'm looking forward to Sonic the Hedgehog. Apparently Nintendo already contacted Sega about it since he's the most requested character, but Sega hasn't put out word if they'll do it. Considering there's a Sonic/Mario Olympics game coming our way for the Wii, I'm sure he'll be in it though. :3

-hums the Sonic 2 theme-

-r2[/color]

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Now it makes sense, I?m guessing that after Samus uses her Final Smash (the new super move), she will have to fight the remaining round as Zero Suit Samus. Or maybe it?s just some other type of condition that will make her change into Zero Suit Samus.

As for Sonic, I think he?ll definitely be in the game this time. If he is going be in the game, it will be awesome to finally get the chance to pit Mario and Sonic against each other and duke it out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Super Smash Bros Brawl is a game I am eager to play. Though I have lost touch with the news they are updating, which is terribly making me lag.

I greatly give you my thanks with the site recommendation, Im very grateful.
Im looking at the site and the Yoshi?s Story song was something I didn?t expect.
The songs are really well-made! Make me want to get it more even badly.

Though I honestly think that there should be more characters and eliminate some. I wont go far on who but I still think they are working on it so there is still time left.

What surprised me that Snake is going to be in the game, I just wonder what techniques will be on his possession.

[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine]Well, I won't miss the Ice Climbers. I couldn't even stand beating them up, heh.

I'm disappointed that young Link won't be there, though.[/QUOTE]

Ice Climbers were a pain indeed ^^! As for Young Link, he was a character I will miss but Im a Luigi fan! But I rather have Young Link eliminated than the regular and mature Link.

Hmmm seems like I am in no part to this discussion at all. it?s a big late reply! Oh well!

• 2 months later...
[color=#4B0082]They unveiled the new [url=http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music08.html][u]My Music[/u][/url] feature today, which is incredibly cool. Basically, it lets you choose which songs can play on each stage, and the likelihood of each coming up when you select that stage.

But as equally exciting for me is this:

[center][img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4159/ssbbdarkworldthemeon7.jpg[/img][/center]
The Dark World theme is finally being used! You've no idea how happy that makes me. It's one of my favorite Zelda themes in the entire series and I think it will fit perfectly in SSBB.

Does anyone else have any favorite themes they're hoping to see used in SSBB? From the post it sounds like there'll be a few songs for each stage.[/color]

[color=darkred]Very cool. It looks like Nintendo are pulling out all the stops to try and make SSBB as fun as possible, not just concentrating on combat. I like that because it has something for all gamers across the board; for old-schoolers there's the Super Mario Bros. main theme, and there is Delfino Plaza for newer players.

But, what theme I'm hoping for? I've always been happy with the intricate Metroid/Samus related sound effects because of how they sound exactly as they do in Super Metroid, especially the Morph Ball bombs. The Super Mario World title screen theme should be nice though. That theme is like a nostalgic orgasm for me.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[url=http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html][b]It's official: Smash Bros. Brawl supports online play!![/b][/url]

Obviously a bit disappointing to hear that the lag couldn't be worked out, but with a game like Smash Bros. Brawl it isn't really a surprise. Still, the most important thing is now we can have OB Smash Bros. Brawl tournaments! Yay! I'll have fun being on the lower tier here. :P

[quote name='Roleni-Chan']Ice Climbers were a pain indeed ^^! As for Young Link, he was a character I will miss but Im a Luigi fan! But I rather have Young Link eliminated than the regular and mature Link.

Hmmm seems like I am in no part to this discussion at all. it?s a big late reply! Oh well![/QUOTE]

Aah, yesssss, no more Ice cli- (Looks at official site) CRAAAAP! They're in. Ah, well, I suppose it was kinda fin to st them to difficulty 1 and get a home run bat. Epecially since you only have to kill one, them being tethered together and all.

[color=#4B0082]Oh man, I'm going to have so much fun with those short messages while whooping all you OB peoples. I just hope there's room for, "Fatty gonna," and, "beat you down!" :cool:

Lag isn't really something you can prevent when you're connecting over long distances like that so, yeah, no surprises there. You can only optimize the net code so much and then it comes down to the mercy of all the intermediate nodes that the connection has to go through. Hopefully they'll give us options for regional and international match-ups for the "With Anyone" option, like with Mario Kart DS, since bad lag is a lot less likely when everyone's connected from within the same country.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
No voice support: failure.
No voice support for random matches: failure.
No names shown for random matches: failure.
No communication, period, for random matches: failure.
Zero networking friends list ability: failure.
Taunting assigned to D-pad: failure.
Brawl online with above: utter failure.

Nintendo should consider getting off their stupid "kid-safe" arses and get with the frigging online play program.

Trash-talking is a fine art. Hitting up on the D-pad for a text message is not art.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']No voice support: failure.
No voice support for random matches: failure.
No names shown for random matches: failure.
No communication, period, for random matches: failure.
Zero networking friends list ability: failure.
Taunting assigned to D-pad: failure.
Brawl online with above: utter failure.

Nintendo should consider getting off their stupid "kid-safe" arses and get with the frigging online play program.

Trash-talking is a fine art. Hitting up on the D-pad for a text message is not art.[/QUOTE]

If thiour biggest gripe about the game, you probably haven't noticed that the [B]Ice Climbers are back.[/B] It's true, though, part of the fun of playing around the world is actually being able to communicate with people you don't know.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']When the free service is this ******?

Epic fail.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="dimgray"]Well, I think Brawl is already pretty sweet. Even without online I would still love it so I'm just thankful we have [i]something[/i] as opposed to no online whatsoever.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='8bit'][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=dimgray]Well, I think Brawl is already pretty sweet. Even without online I would still love it so I'm just thankful we have [I]something[/I] as opposed to no online whatsoever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

That's the thing, though. It's not even [I]something[/I]. It's a completely silent arena with zero friends list potential. [I]Something[/I] would at least have given us, oh, I don't know...the ability to see our opponent's names, friend request them, and actually communicate with something other than the D-pad.

And quite frankly, that'd be the bare minimum. Which Nintendo [I]intentionally[/I] did not do.

They need to get with the ************* program. Ignoring what XBL has been doing for years, Nintendo not even allowing players to network with other players is two ****ing generations ago.

It's goddamn pathetic and what's even more troubling is that they're retarding their online "service" [I]intentionally[/I] under the guise of "protecting" children and maintaining that "family friendly" gaming atmosphere they're fostering on the Wii.

[color=#4B0082]Maybe if you take online play for granted you can say it's nothing. But, again, remember that you're not paying anything extra to play SSBB online while XBL has a subscription fee. So sure, I'm also annoyed that Nintendo is keeping up their "protect the kiddies from the internet!" policy without even providing parental controls so others can relax the restrictions. But at least I can appreciate that Nintendo is providing free online play at all. You can ***** all you want but it's not like Nintendo owes us better features.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Man, you don't have to take online play for granted to see how pathetic Nintendo's offering is. Cause the fact of the matter is, even compared to [B]early Battle.net[/B], Nintendo's offering is abysmal and embarrassing, and Battle.net itself was [I]totally free[/I].

At least you can appreciate a free online service at all? Dude, how long have you been playing games online, anywhere? Even the most bare-bones offerings of mid-90s Blizzard Entertainment would be a step-up here. Diablo 1 provided a more well-rounded online system and that was a game whose online functionality eventually got hacked to all hell as players discovered exploits upon exploits. If Diablo 1 could revolutionize online play like it did in 1996, using IPX protocols and computers that barely were hitting the 586 range...there's absolutely no excuse here.

[quote][COLOR=#4b0082]You can ***** all you want but it's not like Nintendo owes us better features.[/COLOR][/quote]

In 1996, Blizzard trumped the **** out of Nintendo. 1999, Counterstrike debuted, which Valve officially picked up in 2000 and added it to their online network, and players were able to play for free. And over the past 7 years we've seen Blizzard revamp Battle.net as they added Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft III, and Battle.net remained a free online service. Over the past 7 years we have seen console gaming experience a renaissance when it comes to online services. And in each of those cases, matchmaking, networking, communication, and friends lists have all been constant features from those free online services.

But you're right about one thing. Nintendo doesn't owe us better features. Nintendo owes us [B][I]STANDARD FEATURES[/I][/B].

[color=#606060]The problem here is that you can't really talk about Wii's online features in general terms. Each game presents a different online experience, by virtue of the fact that Wii does not have a centralized Xbox Live type system.

I personally think that Xbox Live has set the standard - I use it and I love it. Wii has nothing to compete, really. And that's definitely a problem, especially when you consider that other elements of the Wii interface are incredibly elegant and easy to use.

As far as online play with SSBB...I personally don't favor online for this title. That has less to do with implementation and the realities of online gameplay - a game like SSBB would require a much faster/clearer connection than just about any other online game. [i]Any[/i] latency whatsoever in a game like SSBB would utterly kill the experience. And I don't think Nintendo - or anyone - can guarantee that.[/color]