OtakuBoards

The Getbackers

Pirokiko

[COLOR=DarkRed]Ohh, my...

Alright. This all started with an RP and some screenshots from the anime.

Ban Mido. :::Sighs::: I wanted to see what all the hullaballoo was about, bought the first two volumes of the manga. I am in LOVE.

Not as in love with it as Saiyuki, but...still!

So, have you read it? Love it, hate it? What? Tell me what you know and what you like/dislike! Know release dates? Anime dubbing plans? Tell me here![/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest animesoldier001
umm well i have'nt read it but i would like to know what kind of a manga it is? if it has lots of action i wilread the manga :wigout:

• 2 weeks later...
[font=Century Gothic][color=silver]I've read about twelve pages in a magazine from it.. never do seem to remember to check it out again (cause I thought iot was pretty cool) when I can actually afford it.[/color][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][color=#c0c0c0][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#c0c0c0]ja ne![/color][/font]

Well for those who don't know already, the GetBackers center around Midou Ban and Amano Ginji, two best friends who form the Get Backers. Their goal is to get back whatever it is anyone has lost, and they go on all sorts of crazy adventures to do so. Amano Ginji has the power of electricity while Midou Ban has Snake Bite (in other words, an incredibly powerful grip LOL), as well as the Evil Eye (which will be explained within the manga, and I won't spoil that much for you). There are also quite a number of characters that you get introduced to, most of whom come from the two protagonists' different pasts. Then it starts to get totally complicated, but it's all really gripping. The manga is more shounen, with it's action and adventure theme, but it also gets a bit ecchi, so...don't let your parents get a hold of it, haha. j/p.

I've seen all of the anime already, but I haven't read all of the manga just yet, so I can't really compare and contrast the two for those of you who want more information. However, because the anime got licensed, it's now under ADV, and they had the english voice actor list up on their site quite a while ago. I can't remember any names, though.

Anyway, I hope that helps any of you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Demon Fox
I love Getbacker. one of my favorite manga.Ben-chan and Ginji-chan are my favorite. I alway bug my friend to borrow it. :love:

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]As always, I recommend you read the manga first before you watch the animated series. GetBackers does get a bit ecchi in some places, especially when Hev'n (or Heaven?) enters the scene. There are also a lot of odd pair-ups among the characters (including the questionable infatuation of Dr, Jackal over Ginji).

The manga art is cute. The characters look younger in the manga than in the anime. (They look so young that sometimes Ginji looks like a girl with very short hair!)
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 months later...
Ah yes. Get Backers. It can be silly and pointless, or perverted, or actually poignant ^__^

Someone has to have heard of it?? There's like, 27 volumes of manga o.O (damn that's a lot) And Tokyopop has put out the first 5 so far (which I have :D ) It's just hilarious.

Whether it's Ban's (one of the main characters) attraction to huge breasts and money or Ginji's (other main character) chibi turning, cute stupid-ness, you'll love this series ^__^

[b][color=darkblue][size=1]Next time, please look for existing threads before creating new ones. -Lady Katana[/size][/color][/b]

• 3 months later...
Guest Monkey King
Hi, I was wondering if anybody reads Getbackers, I'm not sure if I should spend money on it. If someone could tell me a little about I'd be thankful. I don't get to go to the bookstore alot, so I can't check it out to see, that's why I'm asking about it.

[COLOR=Navy]I haven't read it, or seen it, but I mostly definitely think that it is good. I saw the trailer for it. From the looks of it, VERY hilarious.

I can't wait to read/see this. It is on my 'must see/read' list for sure.[/COLOR]

Guest Zero000
I have started reading it not too long ago and it is great.
Lots of humor and action.

The job of retriever is not a very lucrative one, at least not for Ginji Amano and Ban Mido. Unable to attract even one client, they've ingested nothing but water for the past three days. So dire are their circumstance that they even attempt unsuccessfully to land a date with some girls in the hopes they'll buy the starving duo some hamburgers. And having failed in their attempt to use their last yen at a vending machine, death by starvaion seems imminent until a homeless man takes pity on them and shares some of the food he's been able to scrounge. Upon learning Ginji and Van are the GetBackers, he offers them all he has left to get his saughter back from the Yakuza.

• 3 weeks later...
Getbackers is definately worth the money. I'm collecting them...kind of. Anyway, it's got a good storyline, plenty of humor, but it's balanced by the serious moments as well. The characters are pretty neat as well.

Basically Ginji and Ban are retrieval agents and they'll take just about any job as long as it pays well...and sometimes even if it doesn't. No matter how easy the job seems, it's undoubtably going to be harder than that...as they learn pretty quickly.

Anyway...that's what I think. It's pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Fox_Mirage
Sounds pretty cool from the looks of it. I haven't read any of it yet. The plot, however, seems kind of lame. But what everyone else is saying, they make up for it with good action and humor. So, as long as the actual play is good, no worries then.

_Fox

• 2 months later...
i just read get backers today and it was awsome and a bit of a nosebleeder :animenose haha. it was really good the action and comedy are great and are perfectly blended. and i love their powers. especially his "evil eye" i can't remeber his name, i just read it today and i don't have it with me :animeswea . has nebody eles read get backers?

ah Getbackers. what a fine anime and manga. i have the graphic novels and i do tend to recommend it to others, because of the action mixed in with the comedy at the same time. the one with the evil eye you are referring to is Ban Mido. he is probably my favorite character, if it weren't for Ginji being there. but i do agree with you, it is a must read for action fans. by the way corey, you have a nice name

Yours Truly
Korey (that's my name)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
[center][IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/10cszsk.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Does anyone like the getbackers? This was probably one of my most favorite anime's i have ever read, being one of the first i've read also.

The story is about Ban and Ginji and they have a getback Service with 100% guarantee of success being around eighteen they also have a side for the girls, Slightly perverse but not to many Boobie shots and pantie shots ((The nipples aren't there anyway))

But they get into diffrent situations and you then find out they aren't just any normal Getbacking group Ginji the slightly over the top one has an ability to send High voltage waves through his body and is able to use these waves for an eletric blow, and his buddy ban has an abilty known as the Jagan or the Evil Eye and can which induces an dream type illusion that will seem to last forever (to the victim, the illusion seems like it's really happening), but it only last exactly one minute in real time. And also a snake bite grip, It's a fantastic series and i say it's worth a pick up.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I have 1 through 12 and find that the adventure's behind the Get Backers are all and all, very amusing while at the same time intense with battles and past's that come back to bite them in the butt. And when I mention amusement it's major in the series but not overly so. It's to the point where you want to buy the next and the next.

It is agreeable to say that the manga is worth the money, and a nice manga to pick up and read. :animesmil [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
;) I love Getbackers. It really is a good series. Do you have a favorite character from the anime series? Mine is Ban. He is so hot. And he's pretty strong. Genji rocks to but I don't like him as much.

I have books 1-8. Sometimes my friends will read them but they don't understand them.They aren't Otaku's. But it's sorta like Bleach.

Sorry I got off the subject. :animedepr :animeshy: I'm new here. :catgirl:

Getbackers manga is an amazing series and is alot better than the anime. The manga has alot more substance and a hell of alot more fanservice then the anime. The manga is really directed at mature readers while the anime is watered down and made to appel to a younger audience. So far the Venus de Milo just got wrapped up. It was great to see [spoiler] Lighting Emperor come out[/spoiler] .The next arch looks promising which is going to be game oriented.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] "Yes the manga is an (almost) 100% gaurantee", but I must say that I haven't gotten past the" De Milo" part I need to get the next manga though so thats most likely why. Also my favorite character is...I' d have to say Dr. Jackal. He has mystery that I would like to find out about, more specifically his past.[/COLOR]

• 6 months later...
:My God the ending of Getbackers is insane.

[spoiler]

Final Get Backers Manga Chapters Spoilers (Simply Jawdroppin' Spoilers!)
]Ban & Akabane fight to the death at the gates of Babylon but Ban loses in the final strike, Akabane tells him he's reached his limit and thus his own lowest point but luckily for him this is his own lowest point too and then promptly liquifys into an ocean of blood spraying out from every part of his black suit as his hat slowly floats to the ground, Ban lays down comforted by Paul & Himiko but tries to express how he never expected to die like this and starts to disappear like his father slowly, elsewhere Ginji, Teshimine & Makubex finally open the gate to Babylon at long last and peer inside only to find...

the king of creation himself, Akabane dressed in a real doctor's suit who explains the final door is the gateway to reality...thats right reality!, everything in the GB world has just been one gigantic hologramatic plaything of some huge hologramtic company in the real world and Akabane (this actual real version of him) has been tasked with caretaking this world until a new caretaker would be able to take care of it in his absence from now on, and he chooses Ginji for the task as his successor.

[/spoiler]