OtakuBoards

Playing the Classics

Humaru

[SIZE=3]Recently, I went back and reunited myself with my old game systems, like my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. I spent most of my day playing classics such as Super Mario Bros., Megaman X, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, and Earthbound. I also reemersed myself with the codes for these games if there any. It feels really good to catch back up with my original gamer inside of me. I mean, come on, who doesn't like to catch with those classic titles.

What are some of the classics you guys out there play. And I know you play them![/SIZE]

Any LOZ, any early RPGs for the nintendo systems (lufia, earthbound, SMRPG, the early FFs, C. trigger), some old genesis favorites like Vector Man, mutant league football, maximum carnage (wonder who remembers any of those, hehe). It's unfortunate but i no longer have a working NES but a good portion of my most favorite old school games were for that system. Games like Star Tropics, guerilla war, metal storm, bionic commando, gauntlet, the early megamans etc etc.

Those were the good ol days, but i can't exactly say that i don't appreciate today's gaming either. Maybe the consistency in quality has gone down, but not the quality so much itself.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Seeing as I started my gaming career in the Sega Genesis Era, without really playing much of Nintendo's systems outside of the Game Boy Family (which ever one was out at this time...), I missed a lot of stuff during my really early youth. Thanks to a friend of mine, who was more of a N64 Fan to my being a PS1 Fan, I was totally awakened to the greatness of some of the classic games out there.

Luckily, my friend had every Nintendo system ever made, so I later got some for my self. And nowadays, they rerelease so much old crap (I mean "crap" as a general statement for stuff... :animeswea ) that I can get what I missed, along with relive what I knew.

Actually if you look at my collection, I have a bunch of rereleases such as both the Zelda Pre-orders, Sonic Mega Collection and Adventure DX, Megaman Anniversary Collection, and Both Final Fantasy Chronicles and Anthology. I'm glad I finally know what I was missing... :cool:

Also, I love the hell out of 8/16-bit music! There's something about those beeps and such...[/FONT][/COLOR] :D

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Arial]Is Nintendo 64 considered classic? My sister just found it last night, and I've fallen in love with it again. Right now I'm playing Pokemon Stadium, but I also have Legend of Zelda (Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time), Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart, NFL Blitz 2000, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Hey You Pikachu (but we couldn't find the microphone or anything), a Nascar game, and Fighter's Destiny. The only problem with the system is that the reset button is slightly stuck, and I had to beat it up a bit to make it work. I even had to hit it with a hammer a couple of times! It seems to be working normally now, though, so I hope it will stay that way.

I also like to play Pokemon Red and Blue, because I'm too poor to afford the game boy advance remakes. (Just so you know, there is a way to get Mew without a gameshark or any outside party. I did it and it worked. =)[/FONT]

[quote name='Amelia][FONT=Arial']Is Nintendo 64 considered classic?[/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I consider N64 last gen . Classic would be along the lines of the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis. But whatever floats your boat. As far as old systems go my favorite would be the DC that would have to be my favorite system of all time. Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Shenmue I and II and Powerstone I and II. That was a great system with great games to bad it flat lined[/COLOR] :animedepr .

Every once in awhile, I like to replay Super Mario World. Although I can't play the original SNES version, I have the remake for the GBA. Still just as good, I think.
I have Lufia 2, but our SNES isn't working, so I can't play it anymore. I will sometimes replay Lufia: The Legend Returns for GBC. I don't know if that's considered classic or not, but whatever.

I just restarted playing LoZ Ocarina of Time a few days ago. :D
I'm missing a cable to my Genesis, so it doesn't work. D:<
and I love playing games on my Dreamcast, esp. Crazy Taxi. :cool:
I know these games aren't old old, but I still think their classics.

• 2 weeks later...
Superfrog!

I must have been between 3-5 when I first played this great game. Thanks to the Amiga emulator and a reasonably good PC, I still do.

It's a platformer that was designed to be Amiga's answer to sonic the hedgehog, and even had the blue critter make an unofficial guest appearance within the game.

It's fast paced platforming goodness, I highly reccomend it.

[color=darkred]Honestly, given half the chance I would go back and play all of the games I grew up with once more, but in typical fashion I almost always sell off the games I don't play anymore to buy new ones, which is a decision I always come to regret. Right now, the game I'm currently craving to play is Super Mario World for the SNES, and I've considered getting the GBA port, but it's probably a phase I'm going through, so I doubt I will; there are other games that deserve my ill-gotten cash spent on.

The only game I own that come close to a classic is Final Fantasy VII, which I'm playing [i]again[/i] for the "n"-teenth time. The only reason I ever play the game is so I can work towards fighting the Weapons, because when you've played it as many times as I have, it seems like it's the only thing that's left to do that's fun, apart from the crater.[/color]

i like the first mario rpg...hours load of extras....i like playing jet force gemini for the n64....good game and i actually still play harvest moon 64 on some occassions.....

old games still are time killers....we actually love all the beeps and pixelated graphics...now we're just too picky hehe

I'd have to say either DigDug II or Joust for NES. So simple, yet so hard to beat! See, I have a modded x-box, that has NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Genisis, Atari and arcade emulators, so I can play these games without the systems. -^^-

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred]The only game I own that come close to a classic is Final Fantasy VII, which I'm playing [i]again[/i'] for the "n"-teenth time.[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I think you mean [b]ump[/b]teenth. :whoops:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']Honestly, given half the chance I would go back and play all of the games I grew up with once more, but in typical fashion I almost always sell off the games I don't play anymore to buy new ones, which is a decision I always come to regret. Right now, the game I'm currently craving to play is Super Mario World for the SNES, and I've considered getting the GBA port, but it's probably a phase I'm going through, so I doubt I will; there are other games that deserve my ill-gotten cash spent on.[/color][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]You, sir, are exactly like my friend. He always sells the games he doesn't play anymore and later regrets it. I, however, keep mine. Let me see... I still have my BFG (big, fat, and grey) Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Virtual Boy (with the original Mario Tennis. Oh yeah!), Sega Genesis (along with the Sega CD attachment), Super Nintendo (I never owned the NES), Playsation One (the small grey one between PS and PS2), N64, Sega Dreamcast (the original Phantasy Star and Sonic Adventure are the best ones), Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy SP, Nintendo Gamecube, and my XBOX. Obviously the last 4 aren't classic, but I thought I'd mention them anyways.

So you see that I must have [i]a lot[/i] of classics. One of my favourites being Super Mario All-Stars (be jealous!). Every once and a while I go and get my Sega Genesis/SNES and play Sonic & Knuckles/Super Mario All-Stars/Yoshi's Island, but not often. Regardless, it's fun while I do and I certainly do not regret not selling my systems.

I also have the old SNES game, Hook (the game of the movie). Has anyone here played that?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I think you mean [b]ump[/b]teenth. :whoops:[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkred]I did mean "n"-teenth, not umpteenth. Both work, but umpteenth sounds too old fashioned for me. And the thing about selling old games, in my case, is that if I hadn't sold them in the first place to get the cash, then I wouldn't have been able to buy any future games, because I'd be broke, though at times I wish there could've been another way for the sake of replay value.

Anyway, I visited my cousin last night, and I scored a copy of Batman Returns for the SNES off him. He was happy to hand it over, since he didn't play it any more. Along with Final Fight One and Rival Turf, I think that it's one of the best beat em ups of its generation. The length of the levels is reasonable, and the enemies you're up against come no where near to being a push-over. One my favourite things about the game is how you can use the surrounding environments to your advantage, for example, grappling an enemy close to a wall would give you the opportunity to bash them into it a couple of times. The visuals are typical of any beat em up, but the colour scheme used helps to liven things up.[/color]

[quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma].One of my favourites being Super Mario All-Stars (be jealous!).[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkred]I might be the kind of *** to sell off the classics but I [i]still[/i] have Super Mario All-Stars. That's the kind of thing you pass down to your kids when you're older.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I think you mean [b]ump[/b]teenth. :whoops:[/FONT][/COLOR]So you see that I must have [i]a lot[/i] of classics. One of my favourites being Super Mario All-Stars (be jealous!). Every once and a while I go and get my Sega Genesis/SNES and play Sonic & Knuckles/Super Mario All-Stars/Yoshi's Island, but not often. Regardless, it's fun while I do and I certainly do not regret not selling my systems. /FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
Well, as I say earlier, I most likely didn't get a chance to play them when they first came out, so I get a lot of rereleases, meaning I have a lot of those to :p

A couple days ago, I was playing Mario All-Stars at a friend's house, and we playing the Lost Levels, in which a only got so far in...You get a Mushroom like every three stages... Which Mario game was this originally, because I remember hearing about it not being released in America for it being to hard and switched out with the one that had Birdo in it. :animestun

[quote name='White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I also have the old SNES game, Hook (the game of the movie). Has anyone here played that?[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
Question Mark?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]A couple days ago, I was playing Mario All-Stars at a friend's house, and we playing the Lost Levels, in which a only got so far in...You get a Mushroom like every three stages... Which Mario game was this originally, because I remember hearing about it not being released in America for it being to hard and switched out with the one that had Birdo in it. :animestun [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkred]Yeah, The Lost Levels is extremely difficult, not just for the lack of Mushrooms available in the game. I thought the Poison Mushroom was pretty cool though. But as far as I know, it was called Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, and the only American and European release of the game was included in All-Stars, which is suppose to be like a walk in the park compared to the original Japanese version, which is saying something given how hard it is anyway.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='Bombu][color=darkred]But as far as I know, it was called Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, and the only American and European release of the game was included in All-Stars, which is suppose to be [U][I][B]like a walk in the park compared[/B][/I][/U'] to the original Japanese version, which is saying something given how hard it is anyway.[/color][/quote]

Wait. So your saying the one in America is [I][B]easier[/B][/I] than the one in Japan? :animedepr [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wait. So your saying the one in America is [I][B]easier[/B][/I] than the one in Japan? :animedepr [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkred]Pretty much, yeah.[/color] :catgirl:

[color=#4B0082]I'm pretty sure that The Lost Levels in Mario All-Stars is the same as the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2. I've never heard anything about The Lost Levels' difficulty being toned down for the US/European release. Only that Doki Doki Panic was released on the NES as SMB2 outside of Japan because the real SMB2 was thought to be too hard.

Anyway, I'm big on replaying classic games. I even have a bit of a tradition of playing through Zelda: A Link to the Past (my favorite game EVAR!!1!1!) at least once a year--and usually it ends up being two or three times. Besides LttP, there are also a lot of other SNES classics that I love to replay. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger to name a few.

I also love playing remakes, like Final Fantasy IV Advance and Metroid: Zero Mission. Getting to play a classic game with a fresh coat of paint and additional content is always a lot of fun when they're done right.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I'm pretty sure that The Lost Levels in Mario All-Stars is the same as the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2. I've never heard anything about The Lost Levels' difficulty being toned down for the US/European release. Only that Doki Doki Panic was released on the NES as SMB2 outside of Japan because the real SMB2 was thought to be too hard.[/color][/quote]

[color=darkred]There were minor things in the Japanese version that made it harder, like the fact that Poison Mushrooms aren't as distinct from normal ones as they are in the All-Stars version, and apparently checkpoints are only available at the beginning of each world, so you won't start at the level you lost on after losing all of your lives.[/color]