OtakuBoards

Summer Jobs

Shwa

Hey there fellow OB people,

I was just wondering what kind of summer jobs some of you have? What do you do and if you like it or not? Since a lot of people get jobs over the summer I was wondering what kinds of jobs they get in their area and such.

I just got a full-time job at the Boys and Girls Club of America for the summer as a staff member for their Summer Fun Club for kids ages 4-16. its pretty much like a summer camp but more fun and I've been a member since I was in the 6th grade and volunteered here until now. I graduated and I'm 18 so they let me work for them!! So thats pretty much my summer job since its in the morning all week Monday through Friday from 9am-4pm. Right now we're finishing up training but on Monday everything starts up and I'm sooo excited :animesmil

So how about the rest of you??

[size=1][color=slategray]Well, currently my job is to sit in front of my t.v. playing my Playstation2. Also writing. And the occasional reading of yaoi manga. Ah, the world is a wonderful place whilst you can lazy around in the summer.

But that'll come to a screeching halt for me soon enough. Now that I am illegible, I have to go looking for a job in a few weeks. I made a promise that I'd get a job halfway through this summer. Since my free time is rapidly coming to a stop, I need to get out there and look for something.

Now, I [I]plan[/I] on getting a part-time job down at a local grocery store. Then I can put groceries in plastic sacks and carry out people's purchases to their cars in the heat. How fun will [I]that[/I] be? Hmm? Oh well, I shouldn't complain, it'll earn me some extra cash.

If I can't get that job, then I'm basically out of options.[/color][/size]

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]What you're doing, Mage17, is essentially what I'm doing. I'm a volunteer at our county's Parks & Rec department where I help out with the Adventure Camp. I don't get paid, but it's worth it because I get to go cool places for free... and my mom's not nagging at me all summer to make a difference in life. XD[/size][/color][/font]

I'll be spending my summer at my local hospital. I have a job in the Information Systems (IT) department as a Trainee. I get to do all sorts of fun stuff like carry printers. Thats just the tip of the iceberg though, I also build pcs, load software (why does every person always have to have the strangest program that they need to have installed that is near impossible to find), play with access points, and most importantly make cables(well, put ends on them).

Somedays it is fun, others it sucks. I would say that working with racks is easily one of my favorite things to do at work. I got to setup a rack and install a new AS400 and that was pretty enjoyable.

It isn't really a summer job as I have had it since Sept, but after I start college in the fall (if I don't take a year off and work) it will turn into a summer job.

[quote name='PaganAngel][font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]What you're doing, Mage17, is essentially what I'm doing. I'm a volunteer at our county's Parks & Rec department where I help out with the Adventure Camp. I don't get paid, but it's worth it because I get to go cool places for free... and my mom's not nagging at me all summer to make a difference in life. XD[/size][/color'][/font][/quote]

Yeah I volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club for years and went to a lot of neat places for free and met a lot of interesting people, along the side of getting a butt-load of community service hours to boot. Trust me doing something like volunteering at a place thats active and full of fun IS making a difference, I think you'll like it a lot.

[quote name='PaganAngel][color="#993366"][size="1"]...and my mom's not nagging at me all summer to make a difference in life.[/size'][/color][/quote]

[size=1]Gahh, that's what my mom's doing to me. I hate it, lol.

I'm planning on applying to a few places. Maybe the Starbucks nearby, or the Round Table Pizza a few blocks away. I was also considering applying at the local Photography equipment store, seeing as how I'm getting into photography. Plus, I'd get free photo equipment. Which, as everyone knows, equals instant pWningz0rz bonus points.

I don't know yet though, and that's what has my mom on my back nagging me to do something.
=\[/size]

[QUOTE=Lan][size=1]
I'm planning on applying to a few places.
[/size][/QUOTE]

Isn't it a little too late to start applying to summer jobs in [I]June[/I]? I don't know about US, but here all summer jobs are gone by the end of May, the best ones being reserved for those who've worked there in past summers.

I was really very lucky to finally get a proper summer job, and I owe all thanks to my classmate who works at the same place. It's a service complex for mental health rehabilitators. I work there as a director/counselor of sorts to the tenants. It's quite a large unit in comparison, it has 48 appartments with well over 20 directors working there.

What I do there is very varying Counseling and supervising is only one of the tasks. Aside that my work involves helping the tenants in their every day lives, giving them their meds and cigarettes to some, going with the tenants to take care of businesses like shopping and going to different hospitals, health care centers and offices, and of course offering them some stimulating activities to pass the long days.

There are also several tenants that can do very little by themselves. We directors have to shower them, clean up their appartments, take care of their laundry etc.

It's quite a hard work, but nothing too physical or stressing. I'm more worried about having to deal with hard mental issues, with the residents being mostly schizophrenic or depressed, and there've been many suicides and attemps of them in the past. Also, I have to be extra careful with the meds and locking up cabinets with sharp objects, toxins and such in them.

But the co-workers there are really nice and supporting, so I have trust that even if I'd have to encounter something nasty, I'd get over it.

The biggest plus in it is the pay, of course, which for a poor student like me is enormous.

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]My brother's the lucky one. He's going to work at a skate shop. Meaning he's getting paid for wearing whatever he wants and sitting behind a cash register reading a magazine and blasting music louder than it should be. I imagine that'd be a pretty easy job. Meanwhile, I'm dragging tots out of the bathroom at the bowling alley, all the while casting longing glances at the DDR machine in the arcade.[/size][/color][/font]