OtakuBoards

The Hip Hop Genre

Zen

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Modern hip hop pisses me off to no end. How about somone makes them artist's their ho's and beat the crap out of them. Now Eminem doesn't bother me at all, in fact hes the only one I'll listen to. And jay-Z because he did stuff with Linkin Park. even thought it was horrible.[/COLOR]

yeah I love Kanye when I say real I mean the hip hop that focuses on reality talks about the community life I mean not everyone is rich with big rims with cash flowing out the wazzu and being surrounded by women.

I myself like Kanye's stronger remix I like it but I don't like his new song Can't Tell Me NOthing its so arrogant and the lyrics are meaningless and cocky, but thats your usual Kanye wat else can you expect from a man that said he lives a life parallel to that of Jesus

[SIZE=1]Oh my... where to begin...

First of all, to [B]The Boss[/B]:[/SIZE]

[quote name='The Boss][COLOR=navy][SIZE=1]This includes Crunk, Hyphie, DJ, [B]Techno[/B], Rap, Freestyle, Screwed & Chopped, Underground, Battling, and Krump.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1] What the hell does techno have to do with hip hop? Am I missing something here? Could you please enlighten me?[/SIZE]

[quote name='The Boss][COLOR=navy][SIZE=1]And MF Doom is possibly the best Underground act out right now.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1] Underground? If [B]MF Doom[/B] is underground, then [B]Ludacris[/B] is a pop diva. MF Doom is NOT underground. [B]MC Vapour[/B] is underground.

Now, about my tastes...

I believe my friend worded it best when he said,[/SIZE] [quote name='My Friend']Hip hop is like a fine wine: it gets better with age.[/quote] [SIZE=1]Hip hop reached its prime between the years 1987 and 1993:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]Quest[/B]- [B]Q-Tip[/B] has such a smooth, laid-back voice.
[B]De La[/B]
[B]Eric B. & Rakim[/B]
and my favorite of all time... [B]The Ultramagnetic MC's[/B]: [B]Kool Keith[/B] is king of hip hop in all of his incarnations.
[B]Jungle Brothers[/B]

[B][U] Let us not forget our roots:[/U][/B]

[B]Grandmaster Flash
Busy Bee
Melle Mel
Kurtis Blow[/B]- Block party music perfected

[B][U] Turntablists:[/U][/B]

[B]Cut Chemist
DJ Numark
DJ Shadow
The Avalanches[/B]- Frontier Psychiatrist changed my life
[B]Liam Howlett
Z-Trip[/B]- Listen to The Breakfast Club and try not to smile

[U][B] Random, Personal Favorites and the Obscure:[/B][/U]

[B]Heiroglyphics[/B]- Del the Funky Homosapien is amazing
[B]KRS-One
Word Of Mouth
JME[/B]- Mmmm... Grime
[B]Serious Lee Fine
Stezo
Broken Glass[/B]- I dare you to find them
[B]Hijack
mc chris
MC Frontalot[/B]- I'm serious!

That's it for the laundry list for now.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][SIZE=1]Oh my... where to begin...

First of all, to [B]The Boss[/B]:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1] What the hell does techno have to do with hip hop? Am I missing something here? Could you please enlighten me?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1] Underground? If [B]MF Doom[/B] is underground, then [B]Ludacris[/B] is a pop diva. MF Doom is NOT underground. [B]MC Vapour[/B] is underground.

Now, about my tastes...

I believe my friend worded it best when he said,[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Hip hop reached its prime between the years 1987 and 1993:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]Quest[/B]- [B]Q-Tip[/B] has such a smooth, laid-back voice.
[B]De La[/B]
[B]Eric B. & Rakim[/B]
and my favorite of all time... [B]The Ultramagnetic MC's[/B]: [B]Kool Keith[/B] is king of hip hop in all of his incarnations.
[B]Jungle Brothers[/B]

[B][U] Let us not forget our roots:[/U][/B]

[B]Grandmaster Flash
Busy Bee
Melle Mel
Kurtis Blow[/B]- Block party music perfected

[B][U] Turntablists:[/U][/B]

[B]Cut Chemist
DJ Numark
DJ Shadow
The Avalanches[/B]- Frontier Psychiatrist changed my life
[B]Liam Howlett
Z-Trip[/B]- Listen to The Breakfast Club and try not to smile

[U][B] Random, Personal Favorites and the Obscure:[/B][/U]

[B]Heiroglyphics[/B]- Del the Funky Homosapien is amazing
[B]KRS-One
Word Of Mouth
JME[/B]- Mmmm... Grime
[B]Serious Lee Fine
Stezo
Broken Glass[/B]- I dare you to find them
[B]Hijack
mc chris
MC Frontalot[/B]- I'm serious!

That's it for the laundry list for now.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well to some MF Doom is underground but really MF Grimm is underground he has a style alike to MF and both have worked together until a argument between them broke up there harmonious joining in 2006 leading to several freestyle disses and insults.

I myself love his other joinings with artists like Madlib creating Madvillian and his joining with Danger Mouse creating DangerDoom.

And what about LL Cool J your not gonna include him along with the other artists back in the day he was amazing though I never really liked Run DMC I didn't really dig their style or flow though I loved Jam Master Jay.
I also liked Public Enemy and Wu Tang Clan both had amazing rappers who had prolific lyrics and an in your face style.

Also I get tired of people consantly talking about Tupac and Biggie as if they were the greatests things to hip hop ever comeon maybe to gangsta rap sure Tupac had a few uplifting tracks toward women, but comeon he's not the greatest.

I'm at this terrible place where I like hip-hop enough to want to listen to more of it, but not [I]quite[/I] enough that I'm willing to pursue it. So that pretty leaves my entire spectrum of taste in the genre limited to a small handful of albums from De La Soul, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Deltron 3030, Edan (Semjaza did a good job of spreading interest in him, I think), and Gravediggaz.

Yeah I know not alot of good artists out in the genre now and with Oprah and friends attacking hip hop which is quite pointless the problem is rap not hip hop they are both two diffrent genres off music with their own distinct styles.

A good hip hop cd you could pick up John is the new Redman album Red Gone Wild and the Method Man's album that came out last year or Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liqour a great hip hop cd feel in love with it after the first listen.
The best album I heard last year was Hi-Tek's album HiTechnology Vol. 2 featuring artists like Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, Bilal, and one of modern day hip hops greats the now deceased J-Dilla who has a great postmortem cd out right now.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]@ Mr. Maul: You forgot [B]Kid Koala[/B]. Deltron [B]3030[/B]'s debut album is a good reference to see why he is good.

My personal favorite hip-hop artists are [B]Mos Def[/B] and [B]Saul Williams[/B]. Mos Def's[I] True Magic[/I] was great. When he rapped "Close Edge" on Chapelle's Show, it almost made me cry I was so amazed. I hopefully can try and get some more of his stuff. Saul Williams has one of the most agressive flows I've heard today. Just listen to "Grippo" or "Act III, Scene Two". "Black Stacey" has amazing lyrics too. Those two should be the only hip-hop artists who can intergrate social commentary into their rhymes since they both do it so well.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I like the tribe.(A tribe Called Quest)They have really smooth voices and let the lyrics flow out really effortlessly. Then There is Del the Funky homosapien. He is pretty amazing. He raps about all kinds of stuff. Then there is Common and Talib and Mos...They are all geniuses. Their lyrics are pretty good. They also get great beats. Then there is Arrested Development...who basically threw a wrench in what I thought hip hop was. They rap about homeless people and actually seem like they care about the world...amazing. Then there is Kanye who is probably one of the most unique mainstream rappers out there.

Believe it or not I find it more difficult to dance to rap. Actually I find it difficult to dance to anything but metal...cuz when I dance to metal all I do is act crazy and have lots of fun.